Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Acro-nym's Journal

Acro-nym's Journal Statistics
View Acro-nym's profile
Entries 215 entries in total [view entry calendar]
Private 2 entries are private (0.93% of total)
Views 62435
Replies Acro-nym has made 720 comments [view stats]
Comments 751 comments (3.49 avg) [view stats]
Total Props 37 props given to Acro-nym [who be proppin?]
Buddies 13 buddies
Relation You are not Acro-nym's buddy.
What's New 0 new entries since your last visit.

Create New Journal EntryView All Entries
Feb 26, 2008 - 09:43 AM
The Drought in Georgia
For those of you not aware, there has been a drought in the state of Georgia and in Atlanta specifically. Things have gotten so bad, it seems, that there was even an article I found through Digg saying how they want to move the border up about 10 miles, essentially invading Tennessee, just to have access to another reservoir.

Today, I was drinking from a Dasani bottle. I happened to notice that it says on the label that Coca-Cola is based in Atlanta. A company that's business is selling water or water-based beverages to others is in a city currently in a drought. And they're still in business.

I expect the riots to begin any day now.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (3 plards)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #213]

Jan 16, 2008 - 05:54 PM
The Sky Rained Pebbles ...and the Bookstore's Catch
I was walking back to my dorm this afternoon when, to my surprise, I see several tiny blue pebbles strewn across the sidewalk. They started near the street and continued up the path until I as about halfway to the building. But I saw them go down the other nearby paths, too! What are these strange pebbles?

I looked around to see where they might have come from. There's been construction recently, so maybe that was the source. But alas! Nothing. There were no trucks. There were no workers. So, I continued forward. The pebbles either faded or had all been mashed into the sidewalk. That is, until I reached the dorm itself. The pebbles returned! I followed them a little more. They led up the stairs leading inside, the stairs I use every day. At the bottom of each step there was (is) a large cluster, like water that collects after a storm. I now believed that I would find my answer inside. I opened the door.

Nothing but carpet. The mysterious blue pebbles that had fallen so that it looked like they had either started or ended in my dorm vanished. There were no pebbles in the dorm.

This can only mean one thing. They fell from the sky. We are supposed to get precipitation tonight. Perhaps with the pebbles and the water, nature is providing in its own way. I expect every dorm resident to have pet goldfish in bowls by next week.

Oh, and the bookstore apparently won't let you return any books you paid for via credit card unless you have that card with you (so that they can put the money back on it). Someone should tell the freshmen in the fall before they buy stuff with their parents.

Currently Playing: Spider-Man: Friend or Foe DS

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (2 plards)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #212]

Jan 9, 2008 - 09:57 PM
I Need an Invention
Over the holiday break, the light switches in the dorm bathrooms were replaced with motion sensors. Whether or not this relates to other renovations that are currently ongoing, I don't know.

On the surface, this doesn't seem like a bad idea. Every time I go to the restroom, the lights cut out before I'm finished. It's a bit inconvenient, but I can work with it. However, I can't brush my teeth or wash my hands without losing light. I could just stand at one of the end sinks and step out when that happens. A little more inconvenient, though.

Tonight, I tried taking a shower. I don't ever want to have that experience again. The lights cut out ever minute or so, leaving me washing myself in the dark. In the not-so-constant rush to keep the lights on, I accidentally knocked the shirt I sleep in to the ground, which got part of it soaked. Good thing I have spares.

So, I need an invention. Something that I can use to keep the sensor activated while I take my showers. I'm too mentally drained to think of one on my own, so hopefully someone else can. This sucks.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (9 plards)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #211]

Jan 8, 2008 - 02:44 PM
Return From the Holidays
I have been absent from most of the board for a few weeks. I say most because I did make the one journal entry and did check in on Werewolf about every other day or so. I went home for the holidays where I spent time with family and had new toys to play with. You know how it is.

Anyway, today I returned to college. Classes don't actually start until next week, but my job is doing training this week (starting today, but they are cutting me some slack since dorms didn't open until today). I'll likely go to that training tomorrow. In any case, there were a few things I had to accomplish yesterday and today:

Finish a drawing I was working on. Check. (Perhaps I should start working on the GFF calendar now?)
Sort through my clothes for packing. Check. (Although there's the possibility I'll realize that I need something else later.)
Bag leaves in the yard. ...Sadly, I can't check that one. It's really a two-man job and everyone was busy yesterday.
Go to the DMV for a renewal. Check. (With added bonus of registering to vote.)
Check comic shop for two issues I miss. Check/uncheck? I got one, but not the other.

Most of today so far, aside from travel, has centered around stuff directly related to college. Packing, unpacking, buying books, etc. But that's pretty uninteresting. Well, except that there at least half a dozen books I might need for one class (as listed) and that I've skipped on getting them today so that I can check the syllabus first. Still not that interesting, though.

And now I notice that there's a new emoticon. Doves? Interesting. Kinda ironic.

Currently Playing: Elebits (okay, not anymore...)

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (1 plards)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #210]

Dec 25, 2007 - 02:01 AM
Merry Christmas! (And Other Stuff)
I think they're right when they say you can't go home again. With the bed-switching, conflicting schedules of the various family members, and a bunch of complaining, it's really much different from dorm life. Maybe I've just been away too long.

We had Christmas tonight, largely due that conflicting schedules thing. The most amusing part of the evening was my sister and I essentially getting my mom the same gift, a robe. At least the robes are different colors and made of different fabrics. I got the stuff in spoiler tags (if you care).
Spoiler:
  • Elebits
  • Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
  • Spider-Man: Friend or Foe (for the DS)
  • Pearls Before Swine: The Sopratos
  • Watchmen
  • The Last Days of Krypton by Kevin J. Anderson
  • A Rubik's Cube electronic puzzle game thing
  • Various clothes (most of which are appealing)
  • A couple gift cards
  • A photo album encompassing the photographed history of my family (very touching)

So, I wish you a Merry Christmas, you person reading this. May your day be filled with fun and joy.

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 3

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (0 plards)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #209]

Dec 14, 2007 - 10:08 PM
Giant-sized 210th Entry! (A Bunch of Stuff!)
At this point, I would tell you that I this starts out with life stuff and moves on to the good stuff, but I don't have any interesting life stuff to tell. So, here goes:

I've been working with GIMP:
This semester, I decided that since I have the GIMP on this machine, I might as well learn how to use it. Here's the stuff, step by step.

The first kinda neat thing I learned to do was use the Stroke Selection tool to add borders to images.

Next, I learned that I could do a decent job of digitally inking some line art by selecting similar colors (the Select by Color tool). I would show an example, but it's scheduled to be part of an upcoming webcomic. Just know that this process is used for the line art below.

Now come the fun stuff, most of which was made for a thing I'm doing on another board. The drawings were done by my dad.

Here, I was working with layers and adding backgrounds. Also, I learned how to use the Fuzzy Select tool.

Next, I worked with coloring, using mostly pencil at various sizes. I would've used layers for this, too, but it didn't seem any quicker.

This still has the same coloring, but here I was messing around with the Blend tool.

In the midst of the image completed today (which you'll see at the end), I did some work with transparency. First, Divest's request for help regarding editing his signature gave me the opportunity to use a tutorial I'd wanted to try. This involved duplicating the image, setting one to Grayscale and then back, then putting the colored version under the black & white one and then adding a mask so that I could paint on the red.

Then, I worked on my current signature for Doctor Who week. This time, I wasn't working with full transparency.

And finally, today I finished the last of my images, combining much of what I've learned so far. I used Stroke Selection (somewhat to blur colors together), Blend (which is evident), and adding a background. There was going to be some transparency, but it didn't help the image.

For more versions of this, see inside:

In honor of Doctor Who week:

I though I'd provide my assessment of Series 3. Overall, it's still pretty good, but here's the best:

Blink
Gridlock
Family of Blood

Each is inventive in its own way. All three have action, suspense, and some sort of creepy monster. As a bonus, Blink and Gridlock are pretty self-contained, so anyone interested in the show should look to them. Family of Blood surprised me because the first part of the two-parter (Family of Blood being the second) was a bit dull to me.

The worst was the season finale, but specifically The Sound of Drums and the Last of the Time Lords. Sure, there are inventive ideas here, too, but most if it gets lost in a scope that's too large, the Master acting un-Master-like, poorly explained Time Lord science (I'm looking at you, Paradox Machine and telepathic network). And then practically everything reverts to normal (although for some reason not everyone present at the death of the President is present when time reverts) and no one really seems significantly changed, despite all that's happened.

Some fun with usernames (take 2):

Over a year ago, I had some fun providing definitions of people's usernames. I do so again now.

Bigblah - somewhere between "Meh" and depression
blue - clearly a liberal
CHz - Cheez Whiz
Dekoa - the cliched army decoder who only gets fewer scenes than everyone else
Divest - a man with two vests
Drex - Chex that were cooked to long
Dullenplain - the process of making a field black & white
Helloween - to think up a greeting
knkwzrd - typing blind
Krelian - that monster under your bed (don't look now!)
LordsWord - what the slavemaster says
Maico - a toy company
Megalith - one with an abnormally large thumb
nazpyro - WWII German in charge of the furnaces at the concentration camps
Qube - a Saturday morning block. Seriously.
Sassafrass - Sylvester's rarely used alternate swear
Smelnick - sibling to Smelmatt and Smeldave
sprouticus - a kid in Roman armor
Traumatized Rat - a rat that saw its grandparents having sex
The Wise Vivi - a man who has the wisdom of 66 lives--similar to The Wise Lxi

A news story:

The 10 Worst Gadgets of 2007

I wouldn't rank them in that order, but they are all stupid.

Lastly, some YouTube:

Why 210? Because I missed 200 and 210 is a nice combination of those all-important numbers 7 and 3 with my favorite 10.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (5 plards)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #208]

Dec 10, 2007 - 12:27 PM
Stay Dead, Dido
Stay dead, Dido.
For the love of all humanity,
stay dead, Dido,
if you value all our sanity.
Stay dead, Dido,
and keep your crazed rantings far away.
Stay dead, Dido.
Your twisted Latin, you cannot say.
Stay dead, Dido,
just so that it will remain that way.
Stay dead, Dido,
so we can keep your madness at bay.
Stay dead, Dido.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (0 plards)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #207]

Dec 8, 2007 - 10:39 AM
Not a Compelling Argument
Yesterday, I was checking my school e-mail account when I found this:

I'm not the one to sell back books (you never know when you might need them again). If I were, though, I would just use one of the plethora of sites devoted to such things. I'd get more money out of it. Certainly, the bookstore is aware that students do that. So, if they're going to send out an e-mail trying to convince us to work with them, they need to make something better than this. The capitalization is terrible. The third sentence is very oddly structured. At least the person who wrote it included some details about how good an offer this is, but it's too late by then. I'm already disinterested because it looks so damn unprofessional.

No, I'm not going to sell my books to them. But I can't even give them credit for trying.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (2 plards)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #206]

Dec 7, 2007 - 12:24 PM
The Icing is a Lie
There I was, standing in line for a cheeseburger when two black girls in front of me strike up a conversation. One of them is holding a plate with a piece (actually two pieces) of cake on it. Really early on, she exclaims, "Look! Real icing! None of that fake whipped cream stuff," while scooping up some icing on her finger and eating it.

To her, whipped icing is a lie. It's not what icing should be. But how can this be? Whipped cream is the most miraculous of all dessert wonders! It enhances any dessert I put it on. Ice cream, pie, and especially cake. It's light, fluffy, moist, and smooth. It's superior to regular icing in every aspect.

The icing is not a lie. So, eat your inferior cake and have it, too, girl.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (7 plards)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #205]

Dec 5, 2007 - 06:42 PM
An Odd Day at Work
I did stuff outside of my job, like going to class, but a couple of odd things happened while at work.
  • A co-worker expressed that she had to look up Hanukkah earlier in the day because she didn't know what it was. This came up after a few other co-workers were trying to determine how to spell it for the huge calendar on the wall.
  • A caller client stated that she had learned the school has a license for Inspiration, even though no one working at that time knew of such a program nor was it listed with the other community programs. It is only now that I remember what it is. Man, I haven't used that in at least five years.
  • Apparently, there's a several dialects of English circulating on campus. Some of those answering the phones have trouble communicating with certain departments due to this. Who knew?
  • A co-worker told me I don't have the accent she generally associates with people from the Charlotte area. It makes me wonder where my accent would place me.

And, not so odd, I have to verify that the dorms open for the spring semester on January 8. Hopefully, that is the right date, so I only miss one day of group training.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (3 plards)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #204]

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Acro-nym's Journal