Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85199 35210

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamingforce Choco Journal
map car man words telling me to do things's Journal

Journal Banner
Welcome!

map car man words telling me to do things's Journal Statistics
View map car man words telling me to do things's profile
Entries 741 entries in total [view entry calendar]
Private 1 entries are private (0.13% of total)
Views 321548
Replies map car man words telling me to do things has made 4280 comments [view stats]
Comments 6485 comments (8.75 avg) [view stats]
Total Props 2196 props given to map car man words telling me to do things [who be proppin?]
Buddies 61 buddies
Relation You are not map car man words telling me to do things's buddy.
What's New 0 new entries since your last visit.

Create New Journal EntryView All Entries
Jan 1, 2019 - 12:58 PM
Games of the Year 2018 + AWARDS
Response to: Games of the Year 2017 + AWARDS by map car man words telling me to do things

It is the time of lists. I'm gonna go through the games I played through last year and pick the best ones again!

Games I started before 2018 and only finished last year:

-

Games I started and finished last year:

HITMAN (2016) (Professional difficulty 20/20 all challenges)
Iconoclasts
SteamWorld Dig
SteamWorld Heist
SteamWorld Dig 2
Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell
Fear Effect Sedna
Hitman GO: Definitive Edition (PC)
Lara Croft GO + DLC (PC)
Into the Breach
Oakwood Academy of Spells and Sorcery
Celeste
Link Twin
Framed
Framed 2
Hidden my game by mom
Hidden my game by mom 2
My brother ate my pudding
Wings of Vi
Kathy Rain
Forgotton Anne
Lake Ridden
Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut
La-Mulana 2
Chuchel
Crossing Souls
Thief of Thieves: Season One
Akane
Death's Gambit
Hidden my game by mom 3
Ghost of a Tale
FAR: Lone Sails
The Gardens Between
HITMAN: Sniper Assassin
Tangledeep
Marie's Room
The Lion's Song
Gorogoa
Master Spy (true ending)
What Remains of Edith Finch
Remothered: Tormented Fathers
Darksiders
Darksiders II
My Memory of Us
Where the Goats Are
Donut County
Unavowed
Get Even
Minit
Resident Evil 7 + DLC
Semblance]
Return of the Obra Dinn
Darksiders III
GRIS
Iris.Fall
HITMAN 2 (2018)

Games I started last year but didn't or couldn't finish:

Agents of Mayhem
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
Fortnite: Save the World
Fortnite: Battle Royale
God of War
CrossCode
Dead Cells

Best games of 2018 I played:

Honorable mentions:

Spoiler:

Iconoclasts
[Best Robin] [Most unexpectedly depressing and dark story details]

6/10

Where the Goats Are
[Best Goats] [Best Chicken] [Best Drawing on Sand]

7/10

Unavowed
[Best Ben Chandler Sprites] [Best Vicki] [Best Mandana] [Best ProZD]

6/10

Forgotton Anne
[Best faux Ghibli aesthetics] [Also most unexpectedly depressing and dark story details]

7/10

Crossing Souls
[A++ Ending]

7/10

Semblance
[Best blobs]

6/10

Iris.Fall
[Best clockwork gears]

6/10

THE QWARKY TOP 16 BEST GAMES OF 2018

Spoiler:

Chuchel
[Best Amanita Design game of the year] [Best Slapstick] [Best DVA game soundtrack of 2018] [Cherry of the year]

Jaromír Plachý and Amanita deliver another delightful interactive picture book of slapstick and weirdness.

YouTube Video

7/10

Thief of Thieves: Season One
[Best Robert Kirkman license] [Surprising Finnish Game of the Year] [Best Celia] [Best comic book inking]

Surprisingly enjoyable episodic adventure game with stealth and light choice making. A really nice comic book aesthetic and solid voice acting makes it easy to put up with the occasionally clunky stealth, though I read they've patched improvements since. Good stuff! I want a season 2!

8/10

Hidden my game by mom 3
[Best giraffe] [Best Mom gallery]

MAMA

8/10

FAR: Lone Sails
[Best Horizon] [Most Biggest Transportation] [Best Music]

You stare at a lonely horizon and drive a dope ass trashpowered tank.

YouTube Video

8/10

Minit
[Best Sword] [Land.. is best] [Best Jukio Kallio] [Best Countdown] [Best Black & White] [The Funniest Gag Award - for the old man by the lighthouse]

Use sword and die every 60 seconds. The Funniest Gag speaks for itself.

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

8/10

Darksiders III
[Best Fury] [Best Tornado] [Best Giant Hammer]

A very good metroid/souls alike with fun combat and fun exploration. Ends a bit abruptly but hey.

7/10

Ghost of a Tale
[Best Mice] [Best Frog] [Best Pirate Outfits] [Best Hiding in Barrels] [Best Mushroom Picking]

The best fantasy mouse sneaking and eating simulator RPG of 2018.

YouTube Video

8/10

Into the Breach
[Best Mechs] [Best Turn-Based Game] [Most Heartbreak] [Best Time Travel] [Best Music]

FTL dev comes up with a way to break our hearts in turn-based tactics. Incredibly addicting and replayable.

YouTube Video

8/10

Return of the Obra Dinn
[Best Graphics] [Best Detective Work] [Most Tragic Discoveries] [Best Music]

Lucas Pope makes us play supernatural detective and insurance agent.

YouTube Video

8/10

La-Mulana 2
[Best Lumisa] [Best Mulbruk] [Best Bosses] [Most Getting Lost] [Most Where the Fuck am I Supposed to go What the Hell] [Best Music] [Funniest/Cutest/Most Heartbreaking Scene of the Year]

YouTube Video

8/10

Akane
[Best Cyberpunk] [Most Blood] [Best Combo Chasing] [Best BLAME! Gun]

YouTube Video

8/10

Donut County
[Best Holes] [Best Slapstick] [Best Raccoon] [Best Drone] [Best Music]

Ben Esposito gives us a strange and charming story about a selfish little shit raccoon dooming the world. Fantastic and funny stuff.

YouTube Video

8/10

HITMAN 2 (2018)
[Best Level Design] [Best Murder] [Best Replayability] [Best Stealth] [Best Castle] [Best Miami] [Best Mumbai] [Best Slapstick] [Best Santa]

Well, the story is back to pretty dumb again after Season 1's promising start, but the level design is some of the best the series has ever seen. Fantastic work IO, I hope you do well enough for a Season 3.

YouTube Video

8/10

The Gardens Between
[Best Graphics] [Best Dioramas] [Best Kids] [Best Rewind] [Best Bittersweet Ending]

A delightful little puzzler experience, with a gorgeous 3D diorama look and lovely music. The simple interactivity hides some clever puzzle sequences to solve, and you never get tired of forwarding and rewinding time, watching the two kids walk and run and climb and look at things. To top it off, the narrative tells a moving little story about the joys and pains of childhood friendship. A treat, I tell you!

YouTube Video

9/10

GRIS
[Best Graphics] [Best Animation] [Best Watercolours] [Best Loneliness] [Best Falling] [Best Statues] [Best Music] [Best Chase Sequences] [Best Underwater] [Best Box Shaped Buddy] [Best Box Shaped Apples]

An astonishing piece of animated art you play through. It's bold, it's achingly gorgeous, it's contemplative and thrilling and melancholic and moving. It's a treat for the senses and I had a really hard time deciding between it and the game above for #2.

YouTube Video

9/10

Celeste
[Game of the Year] [Mountain of the Year] [Best Madeline] [Best Writing] [The Made Me Cry Award for making me cry] [Toughest Platforming] [Best Weh heh heh laughing noise] [Best Music]

Well there it is. Celeste won my heart from the moment Madeline started talking and it remained my favourite game throughout the year. It's an incredibly tough platformer that superbly weaves punishing difficulty into a beautiful narrative about the struggles we endure and the strength we can find to better ourselves. We want Madeline to succeed and find courage because she's an incredibly endearing character and you grow to love all of the cast. Lena Raine's gorgeous soundtrack and some excellent writing elevates Celeste into a powerful and incredibly rewarding experience that speaks to pretty much all of us.

YouTube Video

9/10

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [7] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (2 haibane)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #740]

Dec 31, 2017 - 05:47 PM
Games of the Year 2017 + AWARDS
Response to: Games of the Year 2016 + AWARDS by map car man words telling me to do things

It is the time I go through my list of games I played through last year and pick my favourites. Again!

Games I started before 2017 and only finished last year:

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

HITMAN (2016)
Nier (all endings)
Alien: Isolation + DLC
Obscure
Obscure II: The Aftermath
Hollow Knight (100%)
Ninja Pizza Girl
Ori and the Blind Forest - Definitive Edition
Memoranda
Myst
Riven - The Sequel to Myst
Myst III - Exile
Myst IV - Revelation
Uru: Ages Beyond Myst
Uru: To D'ni
Uru: Path of the Shell
Myst V - End of Ages
SUPERHOT
Amerzone
Clustertruck
Conga Master
Smashing the Battle
Clandestine
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! (replay)
Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii: Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2
Snake Pass
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
RiME
NieR:Automata (endings A-E)
ECHO
Nex Machina
Cuphead
Sonic Mania
RUINER
Trackless
A Hat in Time
Tiny Echo
Mr. Shifty
Hob
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Super Mario 3D World (100%)
Battlerite (Poloma to lvl 20)
Thimbleweed Park

Games I started last year but didn't finish:

Hitman GO
Fire Emblem Heroes
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

Best games of 2017 I played:

Honorable mentions:

Spoiler:

RiME
[Best almost ICO but not really] [Best Little Hogs]

7/10

Cuphead
[Prettiest Game] [Best Graphics] [Best Animation] [Best Colour Bleed]

7/10

ECHO
[Best Scifi] [Best Setting]

7/10

Trackless
[Best Zork-like]

7/10

A Hat in Time
[Best Hats]

7/10

Tiny Echo
[Cutest Game] [Most Peaceful] [Most Envelopes]

7/10

Hob
[Best Terrain Raising] [Best Forest Sprite Creatures]

7/10

THE QWARKY TOP 11 BEST GAMES OF 2017

Spoiler:

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
[Best Sound] [Cringiest End Credits Song] [Best Lighting] [The More Satisfying on Hard Award]

It's kind of like a walking simulator with occasional moments of combat and puzzles. What is important about it for me is an indie developer showing they can get a high quality, high production value title like this done in this day and age, and find an audience. And it's a solid experience too.

7/10

Ruiner
[Best Cyberpunk World] [Best Helmet] [Best Atmosphere] [Best Music] [Best Use of Susumu Hirasawa]

Really cool setting, really cool look, stunningly good soundtrack. The action is a bit too hectic and punishing so I had to drop it down from Hard to Normal, but all in all a really enjoyable and memorable action game. I'd love to see them do more in this world.

YouTube Video

8/10

Memoranda
[Best Name Searching] [Best Disguised Elephant] [Best Talking Moose Head]

A lovely little point & click adventure with wonderful atmosphere and storytelling.

8/10

Nex Machina
[Most Twin Stick] [Best Ari Pulkkinen Soundtrack] [Best Viewpoint Switching and Zooming] [Most Secret Humans]

Housemarque made their best game and probably the best twin stick shooter. Probably.

9/10

Thimbleweed Park
[Best-a-who] [Best Sprites] [Most Maniac Mansion] [Best Annoying In-Jokes Toggle Option]

Ron Gilbert does NOT know how to end his games in a satisfying manner. But aside from that, this is a clever, funny, well written point & click adventure with tons of delightful little details and gags.

8/10

Snake Pass
[Cutest Game] [Most Colourful] [Best Snake] [Best Noodle] [Best Stream Game] [Best Music] [Best Murderous Hummingbird]

A delightful 3D exploration game, where the actual act of navigating the environments IS the gameplay hook and main draw. I had a blast streaming most of this game, it's bright and colourful, has a wonderful soundtrack from David Wise, and has that rare brand of slapstick that comes from gameplay instead of visual gags.

YouTube Video

8/10

Mr. Shifty
[Best Thief] [Best Teleporting] [Best Punching] [Best Broom Use]

Was totally surprised by this game and its central gameplay hook of dodging and punching. A superb little action game, with fun levels and tight controls. I want to see a sequel really bad.

8/10

Battlerite
[Best Multiplayer] [Best Arena Brawling] [Best Music] [Best Blossom] [Best Lucie] [Best Poloma] [Best Oldur] [Best Freya] [Best Winter Event Skins] [Best Prehistoric Event Skins]

I don't like competitive multiplayer. I've got 150 hours in this game. It's freaking great. The characters are all fun to play and well designed, the matches go by fast so even losing doesn't feel terrible, and the combat is hectic and tactical and so much fun you just lose hours and can always get better. Poloma is A++

YouTube Video

9/10

Hollow Knight
[Best Bugs] [Best Painted Backgrounds] [Best Atmosphere] [Best Tragedy] [Best Incidental Details] [Best Music] [Best 100% Experience]

It's dark, it's sad, it's beautiful, it's fun and intense and magical and heartbreaking. Fucking play it already, it's amazing. I put 44 hours into it to 100%. Trial of Fools is a bitch. My hands hurt for days afterwards from gripping the controller so hard.

YouTube Video

9/10

NieR: Automata
[Best Androids] [Best Existential Agony] [Best Music] [Best Platinum Game of the Year] [Best Story] [Best Endings] [Best Hidden Endings] [Most Swords] [Best Pod] [Best Fishing] [Best Hacking] [Best 2B] [Best End Credits] [Best Final Final Ending]

The only knock against the game is how you kind of have to persevere with it to see the whole thing, it doesn't NATURALLY engage you to continue playing. But once you get over that hump, good god. Get all the endings. Cry over androids. It's Yoko Taro's most hopeful game but it's still incredibly cruel and dark and overwhelmingly sad. It's smart, it's brave, it's surprising and deeply touching. An amazing experience, an unbelievable soundtrack, well worth 50 hours. You'll get more out of it if you play through the original NieR first (all four endings)

YouTube Video

9/10

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
[Game of the Year] [Best Link] [Best Zelda] [Best Side Characters] [Best Emergent Narratives] [Best Open World] [Best Climbing] [Best Exploration] [Best Atmosphere] [Best Music] [Best Sunsets] [Best Sunrises] [Most Grass] [Best Bears] [Best Fields] [Best King of the Mountain] [Best Sidequests] [Best Koroks] [Best Desert] [Best Lynels] [Best Hanggliding] [Best Horses] [Best Scientists] [Most Fruit] [Most Swords]

A remarkable achievement and a remarkable adventure. Nintendo succesfully takes bits and pieces of modern open-world game design and perfectly integrates them with their own design philosophy and ideas, into a wonderful Legend of Zelda experience that moves the series forward, while totally nailing what the first game did so well. The final ending is maybe a little anticlimactic because of all the things you do before it, but it remains essential gaming and I wouldn't have sunk over 90 hours into it if I hadn't loved it so much.

YouTube Video

9/10

Response entries:
Games of the Year 2018 + AWARDS by map car man words telling me to do things

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [2] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (0 haibane)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #739]

Dec 25, 2017 - 09:10 AM
A Qwarky Christmas 2017
hello it is the time of the season of pictures

but first some classic finnish christmas tunes to get into the holiday spirit:

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

The table is already set! Hooray! Sit down!

Time for melons and horses!

This is the life. I love the life.

Good food. Good people. Good food.

We almost forgot to serve these again. Soft dates, filled with blue cheese and wrapped in bacon. Delicious!

The sauce. The best. The sauce.

Yeah, this is the stuff. The best.

The ham. The best. The ham.

Nine hours dad had kept it in the oven. The best. The oven.

I'll drink to that.

YEAAAHHH THIS IS THE STUFF I LOVE CHRISTMAS

Small nap then mascarpone ice cream. The best. Ice cream.

Then usually we take a break, then have coffee and cake and my aunt opens her birthday presents. But because we were all so full and no one could have cake or coffee just yet, in the interest of time we decided to have some of us open christmas presents while we wait a bit.

which is what we did

Then it was time for sparkling wine and cake and coffee and birthday presents

And then the remaining presents were opened.

My mom is knitting me a sock, I was try this one on and if it fit, she makes the other one. It did, so I'm getting socks next year. Hooray! It's beautiful!

Merry christmas everyone, hope it's a really lovely and relaxing time for all!

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [7] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (3 haibane)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #738]

Jun 18, 2017 - 01:15 PM
GFF Meet 2017 photos - Part 3
Days 0-1 photos here

Days 2-4 photos here

Sorry for the delay. This proved harder than I'd expected. Here's the remaining days.

YouTube Video

Days 5-7 Thursday-Saturday:

oh, did i mention we moved upstairs last night because of cody's foot and he was better off sleeping in our room downstairs

it's pretty nice!

i kinda wanna stay in this room next year

(phone)

awww yea, tails and garr playing double dragon IV was a particular highlight

acer made balloon animals and weapons for us

BIG OL BEAR-ON-A-STICK

Then we played Mount Your Friends

YouTube Video

Wait, friday already? Shit

We finally went to that pancake place on time!

It was awesome!

(phone)

(phone)

(phone)

Garr with the advanced pancake strats!

(phone)

(phone)

(phone)

(phone)

(phone)

YEAAAAAHHH HOTTUB BOIS

Then I too went in the hottub and we did BoilingForce and it was super nice while it was still lightly raining and we were all just boiling in there and there was a big ol bumblebee in the bushes

Then Cody was free and we went to pick him up at the hospital and his fucking coffee GOD

(phone)

Then we went for ice cream!

(phone)

Then it was time for food!

Far, far too much food!

Then the moon was up and absolutely gorgeous so we went over to the beach to stare at it and my camera can't do it justice.

abby did some art

And then it was saturday! Shit!

Then everyone left and I didn't get any shots of hugs and then Abby dropped me off at the airport and I met up with Talec, Tritoch and CHz who were still there

(phone)

and then ate a gross bacon king meal and regretted everything

then tritoch bailed on us like a chump so we walked around in a tiny tiny airport waiting for chz's plane to start boarding

then chz left

then we sat around some more with talec till her plane left

and then an hour later my plane left and I went home and no more remained

What a week. Next year I need to bring my Ixus again for emergency photos and video cause using my phone sucks.

Thank you all for being such lovely people, looking forward to seeing everyone again next year.

Here's the group shot again:

group photo 2017:

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [11] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (5 haibane)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #737]

Jun 15, 2017 - 01:47 PM
GFF Meet 2017 photos - Part 2
Days 0-1 photos here

i said i didn't take a lot of photos this meet and it really shows around monday and tuesday, to the point where i momentarily got really confused what day i was on when putting these up, as if i'd missed an entire day

YouTube Video

Days 2-4 Monday-Wednesday:

awkward pang wave.jpg

(phone)

(phone)

(phone)

Then Escape Room happened! It was great!

(phone)

(phone)

and then the day switched to Tuesday and I almost didn't realize when doing these!

YouTube Video

Then Tails played some more TorqueL while we all sat and screamed at him and it was magical

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

WEDNESDAY MORNING

A WHOLE LOT OF JUST SITTING AROUND

oh no

then Uno happened!

YouTube Video

(this is actually one of my favourites of the whole week)

YouTube Video

blessed koskenkorva, blessed acer for importing some this year

more to come!

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [11] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (4 haibane)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #736]

Jun 14, 2017 - 02:34 PM
GFF Meet 2017 photos - Part 1
I have been dragging my feet with these, constantly finding new ways to distract myself from going over everything and picking and finetuning and uploading.

That sinking feeling that this year is going to be a huge disappointment in terms of photos cause I really didn't take that many photos, especially of moments I would have liked to capture. And the moments I did manage to capture, the photos were often focused incorrectly or I had the white balance selected all wrong and couldn't tell from the tiny LCD screen in bright sunlight.

Anyway.

I am going too slowly so here's the first two days while I try to get the rest done. Sorry!

YouTube Video

Days 0-1 Saturday-Sunday:

My flights would have me arrive after 5PM, missing most of the first day.

but it sure was nice being back at the house again.

NAME THAT POKEMON

"it's pikachu!"

"GOD DAMNIT!"

Few hours into the meet and Tails was already done

o7

pete fucking died

talec fucking died

it was a good day for acer and haydee

It was somewhere around here that I smoked weed and came along grocery shopping in an effort to find ingredients to make mascarpone ice cream

(phone)

I took several photos of syrup before eventually finding everything I needed

(phone)

(phone)

(phone)

then we did jeopardy

pang was not oka-

(phone)

Then we went to pick up Term!

It was Skills, Acer and me listening to the Initial D soundtrack all the way to the airport!

and he arrived!

then it was grilled cheese time!

geddit

then telestrations happened

and skills knew

"talec is really good at drawing chocobo or unicorns or something i guess"

angry sun and the tower of too many bells

and now a delightful little set of acer laughing

it was at this point that the brownie that had been on my plate in this photo taken earlier finally kicked in and no further photos were taken on my camera for the rest of the evening from the looks of it

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [11] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (2 haibane)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #735]

Jan 1, 2017 - 08:58 AM
Games of the Year 2016 + AWARDS
Response to: Games of the Year 2015 and the usual awards by map car man words telling me to do things

That's right. The coveted Qwarky awards for the best games of the year!

Time to go through the list of games I played last year and pick my favourites from the new releases. I built a new computer in December 2015, after two years of very little computer gaming, so 2016 was extremely PC focused.

Games I started before 2016 and only finished last year:

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (135 hours total!)

Blocks That Matters
Tetrobot and Co.
The Marvellous Miss Take
The Stanley Parable
GUN GODZ
Nuclear Throne (looped after 66 hours of attempts)
Shardlight
Dungeon of the Endless
Antichamber
Amazing Princess Sarah
Samorost 3
Stranded
Murder
Deadlight
Legend of Grimrock
Legend of Grimrock 2
Lili: Child of Geos
Gunman Clive
Hyper Light Drifter
Lume
Lumino City
Mark of the Ninja
Lucidity
Stealth Bastard Deluxe
Orcs Must Die!
Orcs Must Die! 2
Torchlight
Torchlight 2
Stealth Inc. 2: A Game of Clones
A Story About My Uncle
NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits
DeadCore
Oxenfree
Kholat
The Way
Cloudbuilt
Master Spy
Shatterhand
Power Blade
Power Blade 2
Shadow of the Ninja
Xeodrifter
Duck Tales 2
Overwatch (started, still playing, but with 200 hours clocked I'd say I've played "enough")
Oxenfree (replay)
Oniken
Forward to the Sky
Hotline Miami (replay)
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Doom (2016)
Seraph
Republique
Lumo
Submerged
Dreaming Sarah
Odallus: The Dark Call
Batman: Arkham City - Harley Quinn's Revenge DLC
Batman: Arkham Knight + Arkham Episodes DLC chapters
The Longest Journey
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey
INSIDE
Momodora
Momodora II
Momodora III
Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
Firewatch
ADR1FT
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
Saints Row: The Third (replay)
Saints Row IV
Saints Row 2 (replay)
Shantae: Risky’s Revenge - Director’s Cut
Owlboy
Dishonored 2
MANDAGON
Virginia

Games I started last year but didn't finish:

None (unless you count Overwatch)

THE DEFINITIVE TOP 12 LIST OF THE BEST GAMES FROM 2016:

Spoiler:

Shardlight
[Point & Click Adventure Game of the Year] [Best Wadjet Eye Game of 2016] [The Ben Chandler Award for 2D Adventure Game Sprite Excellence]

Another lovely little point & click adventure from the reigning champions of the genre, with some wonderful world building, melancholic atmosphere and multiple endings depending on your choices. Doesn't quite reach Gemini Rue or Primordia, or even Technobabylon, but well worth playing through. And the sprites are absolutely lovely.

7/10

Samorost 3
[Cutest Game] [Best Music] [Best Collectibles] [Best Third Samorost] [Best Second Samorost Sequel] [Best Dog] [The "Amanita Design Game of the Year" Award For Best Amanita Developed Game] [Best Space]

Amanita gives us another gift and Samorost 3 is more Samorost, but on a level of polish far beyond even Botanicula. It's an adorable, funny, surreal little adventure and one of the most charming titles of the year.

8/10

Virginia
[Best Hard Cuts Of the Year] [The "Seriously Those Hard Cuts Were Really Fucking Great" Award For Some Surprisingly Well Done And Neat Hard Cuts] [Last Game I Played of the Year Award] [Second Best Wordless Narrative] [Most Annoying Cryptic Sequences] [Most Unexpected Little Sequence That Made Me Tear Up That Wasn't Really Meant To Be Particularly Sad]

My feelings towards this game shifted from positive to negative to positive to negative to contemplative and hesitant in the span of its very brief 2 hour run time. It's an achingly beautifully crafted linear path through a set of several mysteries, filled with absolutely stunning little touches, from the use of music and dialogueless narrative, to the superb cuts that completely delighted me. Then it'll throw you into sequences that you won't understand and at times it's spellbinding while other times it's just deeply frustrating. There are sights and scenes that make no sense, whether you try to interpret them literally or symbolically, and the last stretch of the game left me feeling disappointed initially. The more I've thought of it, the more I've warmed back to it, but it is a difficult game to enjoy outright. After sleeping on it, I've come to realize I did very much enjoy the journey, even if the conclusion could have been more satisfying. In either case it's a fascinating, ambitious and in many ways rewarding experiment in first person and video game narrative. It's just that there's another game on this list that does all that so much better.

8/10

Dreamfall Chapters
[Best Zoe] [Best Writing] [Best April] [Best Crow] [Second Most Unexpected Game to Make Me Cry] [Best Episodic Game] [Best Continuation of Dreamfall] [Best Consequences for Choices] [The "Man I Hope They End Up Making The Longest Journey Home" Award For Hoping For A Final Chapter To April's Story Now That Zoe's Is Done]

I sat down and played through The Longest Journey, then Dreamfall and then Dreamfall Chapters almost back to back. People should not play Chapters without playing through the first two games in the series first. Chapters is very much a continuation (and in many ways a conclusion) of past events and the destinies of old characters people like and care deeply about. It's a beautiful adventure, with slight attempts at consequences for choices, but nothing actually major. You are essentially just observing a sequence of events that are only a minor part of much bigger things. And it's really good. Basically play The Longest Journey and Dreamfall. Chapters is fantastic and absolutely worth it. Norwegians are still fantastic storytellers.

9/10

Dishonored 2
[Best Stealth] [Most Emily] [Best Stephen Russell] [Second Best Delilah of the Year] [Best Supernatural Powers] [Winner of The Best Level of the Year Award: The Clockwork Mansion] [The Most Unexpected Brandon Keener Award for Unexpected Brandon Keener]

It's more Dishonored. It's got a paper-thin main story. Its characters aren't particularly engaging. Its world building and flavour text are terrific. Its stealth is really fun. It's got a few absolutely fantastic levels. It's really pretty. It's really great if you like Dishonored 1.

8/10

Doom (2016)
[Best Single Player First Person Shooting] [Best First Person Platforming] [Best Use of Music in Combat] [One of the Biggest Surprises of the Year Award] [The FURY ROAD Award For Unexpected Old Franchise Revival That Actually Turned Out Really Fantastic]

I had written this game off as garbage several times since it's first E3 reveal. It looked like crap. It turned out to be really fucking good. It successfully takes the spirit of what a lot of people love about Doom and splices it with more modern technology and trappings. The focus on exploring the levels is absolutely terrific and they reward exploration and it's all completely perfectly in line with the vast levels and oh my god it's so good. Just the way simply moving around and navigating the levels and shooting feels genuinely good and satisfying is incredibly impressive to me and should be celebrated. It loses some of its steam like two levels or so before it ends, but this is one of the best first person shooter campaigns of recent years. The fury and fun are just wonderful.

8/10

INSIDE
[Depressing Danish Game of the Year] [Best Animation] [The Geez That's Messed Up Award For Implied Dark Stuff] [Best Follow-up to Limbo] [Most Violence Towards Children] [Creepiest Underwater Segment]

It's a worthy successor to Limbo. And I really liked Limbo. It's bleak, it's dark, it's beautifully paced, it's got gorgeous animation and environmental design, it's a very memorable cinematic platformer that doesn't overstay its welcome.

9/10

Overwatch
[Best Multiplayer] [The Most Hours Played Award For Most Hours Played] [Best FPS]

I don't like competitive multiplayer games but I put 200 hours into Overwatch so it has to be doing something really well. It's bright, colourful, fast-paced, fun, pretty and has a world and characters that are charming and memorable enough to add that extra bit to the game. Blizzard are really good at making shiny things.

9/10

Hyper Light Drifter
[Best Graphics] [Prettiest Game] [Best Music] [Best Combat] [Best Wordless Narrative] [Awesome Architecture] [Best Atmosphere]

A slightly non-linear Zelda, but with less reliance on gadgets and more focus on combat and exploration. It strikes a good balance and the atmosphere, environmental storytelling and stunning visuals are enough to keep you playing. This was my favourite game of the year for several months.. until I played the next three.

9/10

Owlboy
[Best Graphics] [Prettiest Game] [Best Music] [Longest Development Time] [Best Finale] [The Delightful Award For Being Genuinely Surprising And Wonderful And You Should Play This Game] [Made Me Cry Award For Making Me Cry] [The Unexpectedly Emotionally Involving Award For Making Me Cry And Not Expecting It] [Most Unexpected Game to Make Me Cry] [Best Hug] [Best Grass]

Nine years it took them to make it, it feels unreal that it's actually done and here and really quite wonderful. Owlboy is a beautiful little metroid-lite adventure, set in a gorgeous world of floating islands, mysterious ruins and ancient, forgotten technology. Play it. It's absolutely wonderful and charming and beautiful to look at.

9/10

Firewatch
[Best Writing] [Prettiest Game] [Best First Person] [Second Best Dialogue System] [Best Delilah of the Year] [Spookiest Moment In A Not Spooky Game] [Second Spookiest Moment In A Not Spooky Game] [Best Walkie Talkie] [Best Character Creation] [Best Drinking] [Best Voice Acting]

Holy god damnit I did not expect this game to win me over. Beautifully subdued in pretty much everything, it's a meticulously crafted, quiet, unassuming little walk through the lives of two lost adults, as much a character study as it is a mystery to uncover. It is a stunning use of interactive narrative and I can't wait to see what Campo Santo does next.

9/10

Oxenfree
[BEST GAME OF THE YEAR] [Best Writing] [Best Voice Acting] [Spookiest Game] [Best Island] [Best Radio] [Best Music] [Best Dialogue System] [Best Alex] [The "Another Unexpected Emotionally Involving Game" Award for Being Unexpectedly Emotionally Involving For What Is Essentially A Teen Horror Trope Plot, Especially The Moments Where A Confused Alex Gets To Talk To Her Dead Brother In The Past Were Incredibly Well Done And Subtle And Hit Me Right In The Feels And Yes They Made Me Cry Ok]

Well this is it. My favourite game of the year. A completely wonderful little ghost story, with a fantastic dialogue system, terrific writing, lovable characters and a surprisingly engaging narrative and emotional punch. A remarkable debut work from a highly promising developer who know what they're doing. I love this game so much and I want to see what Night School does next.

9/10

A definitive list of 25 games I probably should have played last year:

Spoiler:

The Last Guardian

HITMAN (2016)

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

The Witness

Let It Die

Superhot

Thumper

REZ Infinite
(although in my defence I have ordered the physical disc release, which is set to ship sometime in January)

Dark Souls III

Abzû

Obduction

Earth Defence Force 4.1

XCOM 2

Event [0]

The Turing Test

Necropolis

Quadrilateral Cowboy

Mafia III

Conga Master

Yomawari: Night Alone

Dead Rising 4

ICEY

Bound

Deadbolt

Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Response entries:
Games of the Year 2017 + AWARDS by map car man words telling me to do things

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [5] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (0 haibane)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #734]

Dec 25, 2016 - 01:35 PM
A Qwarky Christmas 2016
Just in time for the forums to be back too!

Happy chrism!

Merry crisis!

Here's some photos of a table!

Setting up the table!

Lots of of starters on the table!

Smoked horsemeat!

Goes well with honeydew melon!

Shredded carrots and lemon juice!

Mushrooms and beetroot and creme fraiche and red peppers and little plum tomatoes and plates as well!

So many different dishes of fish!

This was salmon!

Gather round the salmon!

So much food!

More food!

Soft dates, filled with blue cheese, wrapped in serrano ham, cooked in the oven! Delicious! Amazing!

yyiiiiiiiiiissssssssssss

What's that, booze, sure let's drink to that!

Cheers!

After a good rest, time for main course. With casseroles! Potato (lower right), turnip (top), and a new dish my mom tried: sweet potato, with pecan nuts and crisp bacon bits on top. Amazing! Delicious!

MERRY HAM EVERYONE

yyyyiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssssssssssss this is the stufffffff

This stuff was so goooood

yiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssss it's so good to be alive

made mascarpone ice cream for dessert

had to go lay down for a while after eating way too much

Cakes with coffee!

Gather round the cakes!

Presents!

Way too many presents!

It took us forever to each open our presents in turn. We ended up going home past 10:30pm!

It was a great christmas!

I hope everyone has a great christmas!

Merry chrimas!

It's so nice to have GFF back!

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [9] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (6 haibane)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #733]

Jun 25, 2016 - 09:23 AM
GFF Meet 2016 photos - Part 2
Sorry for the delay! I had a few days of distractions and more pressing matters and wasn't making any progress. Here's the remaining days at last!

YouTube Video

Day 3 Tuesday::

previously, on gff meet

erik made us us delicious breakfasts

(Acer)

There is so much going on in this photo I love it all

Then somewhere here we went grocery shopping, people played Smash and I made ice cream

(phone pic)

Cody whipping up dat cream for me because I have no technique

Wings!

(Skills?)

Suspicious Devin questions his life decisions regarding nugs

Fuse was great fun to play

Resistance with regular playing cards and mints for guns worked really well!

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

Then there was some 2 controllers 1 character action with Acer and uh

Abby >:|

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

Pretty sure it was here where we had late night hottub and pool dip and talking and a perfect cloudless starry night sky and everyone else had passed out and we turned off all the lights in the house and Puck played music on his little speakers as we sat by the pool and there was mascarpone ice cream tasting in the dark and it was all just

I wish I could have stayed there in that night forever

Day 4 Wednesday::

Took a walk on the beach! It was a lovely day!

Then unfortunately my mode dial clicked into manual without me noticing, which had a set 1/60 shutter speed, so pretty much the remaining photos Abby and I took were completely blown up

We buried a dead crab and gave it a tomb stone and Abby wrote moving words which I could not record

(Abby)

(Abby)

(Abby)

(phone pic)

Then it was escape room time!

YouTube Video

After some tiddy slapping

(phone pic)

(phone pic)

(phone pic)

(phone pic)

Escape room was great fun <3

The other group did the horror themed kidnapped-in-murderer's-basement room while we had a stolen painting mystery to solve. Lots of number locks and drawers to open, books to leaf through, a few mathematical puzzles to solve. There was a collapsing wall panel that revealed more puzzles, a fireplace you opened up and crawled through to find more locked doors and eventually we got out with 8:17 to spare! They were very surprised none of us had ever done an escape room before.

(phone pic)

Unfortunately no photos were allowed so I couldn't take shots of the actual room.

(phone pic)

Then it was time for victory ice cream!

(phone pic)

Lurkie was suitably patriotic

(phone pic)

Day 5 Thursday::

Lunch and candy store in Old Orchard Beach somewhere around here

Abby was feeling blue

People were enjoying my ice cream!

But not Erik. He was out of control.

Abby made a friend

bap bap bap bap

I think it was this day that people did bowling? Maybe? I dunno. I took a nap on the couch and cuddled with Cody and Andrew for hours.

Then Erik and Abby played Kirby Super Star downstairs

Day 6 Friday::

Andrew thought he was smiling

It was pretty much a massage day

The Erik is perfect

And then I went to bed! I don't know what else happened!

YouTube Video

Day 7 Saturday::

I think Skills took a bunch of photos while we were still in bed! I think!

(Skills?)

(Skills?)

(Skills?)

(Skills?)

(Skills?)

(Skills?)

Sigh. Last days are always a bit gloomy gloomy but there is still something comforting about them. You've had a good week and you'll have memories. You'll see people again soon enough.

And there's a lot of hugs going around.

This is what people look like when they hug you, Abby

nah just kidding

The internet is closed. Everyone go home.

bye Andrew

Then we drove back to Abby's to drop her stuff off, took like a two hour nap and eventually got me to my airport.

(phone pic)

It was pretty much the bestest possible way to end a trip

I had some trouble with my flights but in the end it was ok

Aaand that's it. Good week. Miss everyone.

Really psyched next year is happening.

Thank you all for being such lovely people.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [12] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (4 haibane)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #732]

Jun 21, 2016 - 05:30 PM
GFF Meet 2016 photos - Part 1
What a week.

I took 1206 photos during this trip, of which I'm running over 540 through Lightroom to see which ones I can and will use. I'm up to tuesday so far so here's the first batch, pre meet days plus Saturday to Monday.

Once again a few people took shots with my camera so I will try to credit them to the best of my memory. If you spot something you took and I didn't name you, please let me know so I can edit it. Some really great shots!

YouTube Video

Pre-Meet Days Wed-Fri::

(Abby)

(Abby)

Look at how fucking happy I am playing Operation Wolf

(phone pic)

Day 0 Saturday::

Lurkie arrives!

Pete arrives!

Pete has vests and jackets for us to wear!

Menno is here!

People are here!

Burgers!

Drinking!

Pang!

Lurker makes neat things!

Burgers are neat too!

DAVE IS HERE WHAT THE FUCK

LOOK AT HOW HAPPY YOU MADE ABBY DAVE YOU ASSHOLE

Pang is a jolly wizard

People would try on Andrew's glorious flannel!

This incident is covered here

Pang is befuddled by how good pack makes the jacket look

It was a good first night

Day 1 Sunday::

Garr arrives! He had shitty flights and would not get his luggage until days later! :(

Concept proved very popular!

E3!

Jeopardy!

Jeopardy!!

(mad)

Food!

Poker!

And then I went to bed! I don't know what else happened!

Day 2 Monday::

More poker!

Group photo!

Drinking!

More drinking!

Cider tasting!

Hey.

But Pang was not impressed.

And now for my favourite set of the week, Lurker drinking Koskenkorva:

::thumbs up::

Poor Garr was so tired

(Skills)

(Skills)

(Skills)

(Skills)

(Skills)

(Skills)

(Skills)

(Skills)

(Skills)

(phone pic)

The next morning:

(I put myself way too low on the scale)

And that's it for the first three days!

More to come as soon as I get around to doing them!

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [18] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (7 haibane)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #731]

Gamingforce Choco Journal
map car man words telling me to do things's Journal