Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 04:10 PM #1126 of 3592
First official PS3 box-art.

I like it. No more giant logo on the top. Keeping it to the side frees up space.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 04:13 PM #1127 of 3592
Hopefully SCEA/SCEE/SCEJ can keep the rest of the malignant company from forcing them to use the hideous Blu-Ray boxes. That alone ruins the look of Blu-Ray movies for me.

Most amazing jew boots

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Enter User Name
Chocobo

Member 510

Level 11.74

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 06:46 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 04:46 PM #1128 of 3592
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
First official PS3 box-art.

I like it. No more giant logo on the top. Keeping it to the side frees up space.
That's stupid, I really hope that they don't plan on having no game title on the side, just a big Playstation 3 logo. If you put your games in a dvd rack like I do(probably most people), and have the side of the case facing out, then there would be no way to even tell which game you are picking. You'd have to pull your games out 1 by 1 to find them.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 09:51 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 09:51 PM #1129 of 3592
What's with the IGN logo on her boob. Is this gonna be standard with PS3 coverart? Wait, why's that the first thing I noticed? Didn't even see the sword. Hm.

In other news, if that's the actual boxart, I wonder why they chose to focus on one character, when Untold Legends has thus far been about multiple individuals. Hell, she wasn't even the first one shown! It was that huge dude who was halfway naked for so long.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Old Sep 8, 2006, 10:07 PM #1130 of 3592
I enjoy how IGN skillfully placed their logo smack dab in the middle of the fucking picture. Not like anyone is going to be using that other than to look at but still I fucking hate publications that use giant logos on images.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 10:09 PM #1131 of 3592
Here's some mockups of DMC4's boxart, courtesy of the folks at GAF.

They look much better than Untold Legend's but the massive PLAYSTATION 3 text makes placing things on the cover really awkward.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Old Sep 8, 2006, 10:10 PM #1132 of 3592
Aw, they're coming standard issue blu ray boxes? Ugh. I dunno.

How ya doing, buddy?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 10:14 PM #1133 of 3592
Yeah, the dimensions of the Untold Legends box falls in line with BR movie cover art. That would explain the boxy look of the shot. I just hope, PRAY, that they won't succumb to Sony HQ's pressure and hawk blu-ray with PS3 game cases. especially the blue ones

I was speaking idiomatically.

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 06:01 PM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 03:01 PM #1134 of 3592
Originally Posted by AcerBandit
Aw, they're coming standard issue blu ray boxes? Ugh. I dunno.
DVD games come in standard DVD boxes...CD based games came in CD jewel cases....

The Blu-Ray packaging is actually pretty high quality.

Last edited by Cetra; Sep 9, 2006 at 06:08 PM.
espressivo
Chocobo

Member 1378

Level 12.76

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 06:34 PM #1135 of 3592
It would be so much better if they put the playstation 3 logo where the blue ray logo is instead of the left side. That way, there would be more room for art and the game title would be on the left.

FELIPE NO
Old Sep 9, 2006, 07:19 PM #1136 of 3592
Originally Posted by Cetra
DVD games come in standard DVD boxes...CD based games came in CD jewel cases....

It's not too bad. I just hope they don't use blue plastic like I've seen so far. The one thing I don't like is that blu ray logo that takes up that needless space up on the top. Put it in a corner on the back or something. Jeez. I mean at least for a PS3 game you shouldn't need it considering you aren't buying it b/c it uses blu ray media. You're buying it for the game.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 07:36 PM #1137 of 3592
I liked the idea of changing the Blu-Ray header color from blue to black. It gives the box more of a Playstation look, and it should help people differentiate from movies and PS3 games.

Old Sep 9, 2006, 07:56 PM #1138 of 3592
Well as long as it doesn't make all the characters on the cover look like smurfs and is just the header I guess that's cool. I always thought clear blue plastic was silly.

How ya doing, buddy?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 03:13 AM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 05:13 PM #1139 of 3592
Originally Posted by Cetra

But everyone is correct, the top Blu-Ray header thing is retarded.

It kind of reminds me of those 'Super-Bit' DVDs. While they may be higher quality, I wont touch the damn things because they put that lame metal frame around the original box art. The case may be of higher quality, but that header is still grossly idiotic.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
FFXI - Asura - Brd :3
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 05:25 AM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 08:25 PM #1140 of 3592
That actual box art is so 1997-ish. Here's a game about strolling around a fantasy world throwing barrels or whatever at monsters and the cover is all "BUT GUYS THE GAME HAS SOME TITS COME ON, LET'S MAKE SOME CAAAARAAAZY MONEY".

How ya doing, buddy?
Overlord
Solution Over Matter

Member 12377

Level 1.02

Sep 2006

Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:04 AM #1141 of 3592
I don't think I'll be buying a PS3 for a while, so dam expensive :E.
Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii (not the toilet)...

However, the cell platform is very dam powerful, I'll give them that. Only matter is price =(.

Most amazing jew boots
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 11, 2006, 06:49 PM #1142 of 3592
Quote:
During a conference held last week by an unspecified "Sony PlayStation management" representatives with market analysts, Sony clarified rumors and reports about the cut down in PS3 shipments for its November launch.

According to a report filed by Colin Sebastian, an analyst from Lazard Capital Markets, Sony representatives explained the actual breakdown of shipments for the PS3's premium and core units saying that the split between the 60GB with HDMI output units and the 20GB ones will be 80-20 percent respectively.

Sony also said that because they have refined and improved their BluRay laser supplies (yep, the same stuff that's also reportedly causing the cutdown in production), the production of PS3 units is expected to increase to an additional 1.2 million units per month.

The representatives also said that another 800,000 units will be shipped throughout the rest of the year in addition to the 400,00 units that are set to be sent out specifically for the console's November 17th launch. Sony expects a total of 1.2 million units to hit both US and Japan shelves by the end of December.

As for the services that will be made available at the PS3 launch, Colin Sebastian commented that a wide variety of network functionality will be ready such as gamer rankings, video, audio, and text chat, and limited content downloads including casual games and game updates. However, due to storage and bandwidth constraints, fully downloadable games won't be made available.

Regarding the machine's internet browsing capabilities, there are conflicting statements about its availability come November. We'll try to get the official word about this and update you as soon as as possible.

Sebastian's report also said that the TGS will prove to be an important event for the company, as this is where Sony will reveal in detail their online service, including the leveraging of the company's music and video divisions within the network application. Sony also announced that their new PSP entertainment bundle will include a UMD movie, its ATV Off Road Fury, and a 1GB memory stick. However, the company did not say how much this new pack will sell for and when it will be made available.
-QJ.net

Whether or not Sony keeps its promise and delivers a sufficient amount of units come launch day, I have a question.

I understand there's going to be the usual crowd of people who will line up for hours on end to get the system, but what about someone who reserves the system in advance (even though last I checked, pre-orders still aren't being taken at GS or EB)? Will that person also have to wait in line, and if so are their chances of securing a system guaranteed on account of the pre-order, or just merely increased?

I've never been in a situation like this before (my dad got me the N64 in christmas, and I purchased the PS2 during its post-christmas run, around March), so I'm wondering how it works for someone who reserved the system in advance versus someone who will brave a ridiculously long line.

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Sep 11, 2006, 06:59 PM Local time: Sep 12, 2006, 09:59 AM #1143 of 3592
Well if the store's not run by a bunch of crappy morons, your reserved unit should be safe. I imagine they'd call for people to show their pre-order dockets in the line, then those left over fight for the remaining two and a half PS3's.

Most amazing jew boots
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 11, 2006, 07:04 PM #1144 of 3592
Sounds about right. Does this mean, in theory, that I wouldn't have to show up exceptionally early, since my reserve would be "safe" as long as I show up within the day? Well I suppose that depends on the number of systems that store would receive, so I should ask the workers about that beforehand.

I'd stick it out in a large line if I had to, but it's so much better if I didn't have to.

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Sep 11, 2006, 07:16 PM Local time: Sep 12, 2006, 10:16 AM #1145 of 3592
In theory, yeah. But who knows. ;_; Over here places like EB will hold any pre-order for up to two days, no matter what. But it's pretty hard to compare as our market is piss small. I guess your best bet would be to slog it out in line.

Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Sep 11, 2006, 07:40 PM #1146 of 3592
last time I got to EB games O ask them the release date of the PS3 in Canada and they have the same date as the US (yay!) but they didn't really know if they will accept pre-order and the guy said that there will probably have to refuse any pre-order...so I guess it's first on spot, first served...

I already plan to take my friday off from school XD (I only have one class in the mornig and I can manage to miss one day XD) so I'll still get up early to be first at the opening of EB games XD

There's nowhere I can't reach.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 11, 2006, 09:45 PM Local time: Sep 11, 2006, 09:45 PM #1147 of 3592
Then allow me to clarify for you right now.

EB Games/Gamestop will be taking pre-orders for the PS3 (and Wii). The pre-orders will likely begin sometime in early October. Why so close to the system's launch? Let me explain.

Due to several asshole customers, complaints, and the fact that Microsoft severely lied to us about the number of Xbox 360s we'd be getting/allowed to take pre-orders for, the company has decided to not offer pre-orders until we know the exact number of units available to each store.

I had a lot of people accuse me for their lack of a 360 even though they reserved one. Not my fault, dickheads. In any case, to prevent that sort of thing from happening again, this was Gamestop's resolution.

Now, for those of you who think you can just appear at midnight or opening launch day and get your PS3? Think again. Let's browse through the numbers, shall we?

Microsoft had approximately what, 260,000 360's available in the US. at launch? Sony has stated 400,000 will be going to the US., slightly more than half. The store I worked at during the 360's launch received a mere 12 out of a promised 40 360s, so I'd imagine a store like mine would receive somewhere around 15/16 units. And you can bet every. single. one. will be reserved.

So unless you wanna fight through hordes of people at Wal-Mart, Best Buy, whathaveyou, pre-order your system.

Most amazing jew boots

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Inhert

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Sep 11, 2006, 09:54 PM #1148 of 3592
Originally Posted by SouthJag
Now, for those of you who think you can just appear at midnight or opening launch day and get your PS3? Think again.

[...]

so I'd imagine a store like mine would receive somewhere around 15/16 units. And you can bet every. single. one. will be reserved.

So unless you wanna fight through hordes of people at Wal-Mart, Best Buy, whathaveyou, pre-order your system.
I know that ... it's just that the store here said that they will probably not accept pre-order(not that they don't take them now, but that they will probably never take pre-order...) so if they do change they mind and start to take pre-order, I'll be sure to reserve one >.> if not then I'll go at the opening (there's really nothing else to do...)

or i'll wait till christmas because apparantly there will be around 1 million ps3 more by the end of the year...

so in all will see, I still have to buy some game in october, so I'll ask again and again when they'll start to take pre-order XD

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:15 PM Local time: Sep 11, 2006, 10:15 PM #1149 of 3592
In other news, apparentely the only (and thought to be exclusive) Xbox 360 J-RPG -- Enchanted Arms -- will be making its way to the PS3 as a port of the 360 verison.

Most amazing jew boots

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Inhert

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Sep 12, 2006, 06:40 AM #1150 of 3592
yeah I saw that, can't say it's bad it's just that on ps3 I think enchanted arms will have a fierce competition...

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread