Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Arkhangelsk's Journal

Arkhangelsk's Journal Statistics
View Arkhangelsk's profile
Entries 207 entries in total [view entry calendar]
Private 13 entries are private (6.28% of total)
Views 93827
Replies Arkhangelsk has made 1181 comments [view stats]
Comments 1403 comments (6.78 avg) [view stats]
Total Props 73 props given to Arkhangelsk [who be proppin?]
Buddies 42 buddies
Relation You are not Arkhangelsk's buddy.
What's New 0 new entries since your last visit.

Create New Journal EntryView All Entries [Viewing Single Entry]
Sep 26, 2007 - 11:02 PM
What I've been up to [music + pics]...
Response to: An email to Frank Zappa's wife by Wall Feces

Yeah...so I know I've been kind of dead here lately (aka: completely dead).
Being in three ensembles kind of does that to you .
I guess I should bring things up to speed.

1) I'm sitting principal in the UT Symphony. So I have to appear to know what I'm doing. We're playing:
- Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition
Really entertaining. Pretty standard. I live for The Hut of Baba Yaga.
- Corigliano: Promenade Overture
SUCH a mess. It's the opposite of the Haydn "Farewell" symphony, because instead of the instrumentalists leaving one-by-one, they come on the stage one-by-one. Imagine...marching cellists. No, seriously.
- Shostakovich: String Sinfonia on Quartet No. 8.
WHY are we playing this? Yes, this is the same quartet I played for a freaking year... except all the parts are like...8-pled. It's kind of a disaster.

UT streams the concerts live, so if you are interested in hearing it, I'm going to post a link on the concert day (Monday) and everybody can listen to it from the comfort of their home .

2) I'm also the only violist in the New Music Ensemble, which is playing one of the most entertaining programs I've been on. Highlights:

- FUCKING FRANK ZAPPA. G-SPOT TORNADO.
End of discussion. It has a mandolin, harp, celeste, guitar and xylophone. And is totally amazing.
- Daugherty: What's That Spell?
It's a song about Barbies. Yes, the plastic dolls. Including a "Lament for Ken"...staged with two soprano Barbies and the cellist as "Ken."

This is also streamed, but on Tuesday night. I'll post a link to that as well.

3) I went to ACL Fest and it was FUCKING AMAZING. I was up front for Muse, again (just like last year) -- except this time their show was on the main stage, and since the White Stripes cancelled, they became the main act and thus played for an hour and a half. I was hoarse for two days from screaming in some bitch's ear. I also got autographs from Dax Riggs and Andrew Bird, which was really nice. Pictures:
Spoiler:

Matt is playing a clear-lidded Kawai piano with lights that correspond to the keys. Hot.

Crazy big screen with lyrics in the background.

Dancing robots in the background on Supermassive black hole.

Andrew Bird. I couldn't get very close to the stage, but I shook his hand, so it's all good.

4) My digital camera bit the dust. I'm buying a new one this weekend, but it sucked because I couldn't take pictures at ACL Fest . I had to spend $12 on a stupid disposable camera which took shitty pictures. See above.

5) My parents are coming!

Also, I pinched a nerve (the ulnar nerve, to be exact) in my arm from practicing that Frank Zappa piece. I couldn't really play for a week, because my ring and pinky fingers were basically numb and therefore couldn't do anything on the viola. However, it's a lot better now, thanks to rest and some B vitamins.

There. That's what I've been doing.
And tomorrow (today?) is my birthday So I'm 22. Yay.
Boy talk and salsa dancing -- later.

Currently Playing: Frank Zappa, bitch.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [1] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (3 bottles)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #146 of 194]

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Arkhangelsk's Journal