Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Yanni.

aznmuzikboi
Good Chocobo

Member 1767

Level 18.10

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2006, 01:27 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 11:27 PM #1 of 5
Yanni.

I just wanted to start a thread about him and what people think of his music. I"m not particularly a big fan of his, especially since he refuses to learn standard music notation and theory, but i must admit that he does have a basic musical "sense", and all of his pieces have musical value. To top that off, his live works often feature some pretty crazy instrumental solos (more than just one per work), which is pretty rare these days.

Also, is it right to classify his music as New Age? From what I understand, even Yanni himself devotes an entire chapter in his biography for the purpose of disassociating himself with the genre, and classifies his music as "contermporary instrumental". As a musician myself and having listened to his work, I think he has a better grasp of where he stands as opposed to what others say. There's also moral criticisms of his music being evil (partly because of the New Age classification), which I think is a bit ridiculous. I'm a Christian yet from an objective musical standpoint I see nothing wrong with his music. He's just a guy who plays piano and writes music because that's what he wants to do. -shrug-

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2006, 01:51 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 10:51 PM #2 of 5
Moved to Media Centre.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
lightgem
Chocobo

Member 1010

Level 12.35

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 09:34 PM #3 of 5
I adore the guy, because of the "musical sense" that you're talking about. Composing is the easy part, he arranges for the whole orchestra, that's what amazing. From my personal point of view, I don't think we need crazy ass skill to be good musician or to make good music, especially composing. His piano solo works require no professional piano skill to play, yet those melodies still linger in my head for how long I don't know. They can talk. THat's what I love about him. Yes, his music is somewhat simple but he creates it from his heart and it easily come to others. I appreciate him so much more than the likes of Richard Clayderman who has skill but plays other people's music for a living.

By the way.
Originally Posted by aznmuzikboi
especially since he refuses to learn standard music notation and theory
If you don't mind I would like to know the source of this statement. I haven't read his bio yet so ....

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Decoy Goat
25 to life on probation

Member 650

Level 16.06

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2006, 03:01 AM #4 of 5

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
I <3 Cheryl.
aznmuzikboi
Good Chocobo

Member 1767

Level 18.10

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2006, 01:39 PM Local time: Jul 29, 2006, 11:39 AM #5 of 5
Originally Posted by lightgem
I
If you don't mind I would like to know the source of this statement. I haven't read his bio yet so ....
I've forgotten the very first time I read about it, but he uses his own shorthand and has other people orchestrate his music for him.

I just did a search and lots of short web bios say the same thing. http://yanni.specialweb.com/info/bio.html

i wouldn't doubt that the wikipedia article on him would also say likewise.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Yanni.