Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

In A Sticky Situation, And Need Advice

Thalin
Mountain Chocobo

Member 147

Level 26.83

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2006, 04:54 PM Local time: Jun 26, 2006, 09:54 PM #1 of 3
In A Sticky Situation, And Need Advice

Hey,

Well, about a week ago I bought myself a new XFX 7800GS AGP card for my rig, and all was going well until, well, the day after I bought it, when I realised just how bottlenecked it will be on my setup. I currently have a non-overclocked Athlon XP 3000+, 1.5gb ram and an Asus A7N8X motherboard.

I realised the other day that I could have sold my cpu and mobo on Ebay for about 100 pounds, giving me enough for a new Athlon 64 3800 CPU, then sold my old graphics card and some other bits for 50 pounds, giving me enough for a new mobo, and then spent about 180-200 on a new gfx card, which was exactly the price I spent on my new AGP card!

What do you advice I do? I was thinking about selling my week old card on Ebay for the same price, and hoping I get a buyer. Then carrying out the PCI-E upgrade. Or should I just overclock my CPU with a new heatsink and fan? Or maybe sell on my new card and wait a few months for the prices to go down for my desired components, but then having to sell my current components for less.

Any ideas?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2006, 06:11 PM Local time: Jun 27, 2006, 01:11 AM #2 of 3
I'd just sell the card again if you're short on money, save up for a complete upgrade and check again in a few months when you can do a serious upgrade.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 03:42 PM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 01:42 PM #3 of 3
Originally Posted by Thalin
Hey,

Well, about a week ago I bought myself a new XFX 7800GS AGP card for my rig, and all was going well until, well, the day after I bought it, when I realised just how bottlenecked it will be on my setup. I currently have a non-overclocked Athlon XP 3000+, 1.5gb ram and an Asus A7N8X motherboard.

I realised the other day that I could have sold my cpu and mobo on Ebay for about 100 pounds, giving me enough for a new Athlon 64 3800 CPU, then sold my old graphics card and some other bits for 50 pounds, giving me enough for a new mobo, and then spent about 180-200 on a new gfx card, which was exactly the price I spent on my new AGP card!

What do you advice I do? I was thinking about selling my week old card on Ebay for the same price, and hoping I get a buyer. Then carrying out the PCI-E upgrade. Or should I just overclock my CPU with a new heatsink and fan? Or maybe sell on my new card and wait a few months for the prices to go down for my desired components, but then having to sell my current components for less.

Any ideas?
The 7800GS isn't THAT bad of a card. If you're strapped for cash, I would simply keep what you have.

I'm a personal fan of overclocking. It can yield surprising results if you do it right. I would get a new heastsink and fan with some Arctic Silver 5 and overclock. You might want to make sure that your RAM is capable of supporting a higher FSB if that's what you're going to overclock. Raising the FSB is preferable over raising the multiplier because it yields better results. A 3000+ should overclock very well (depending on what motherboard you have) from what I've read. I think it's a pretty cheap way to go.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > In A Sticky Situation, And Need Advice