Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Pang's Violence Basement
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Let's Cast The Goggles! (Magic: The Gamingforce now playable)

StarmanDX
Muad'Dib!

Member 354

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2008, 09:27 PM Local time: Nov 19, 2008, 08:27 PM 6 #1 of 37
Let's Cast The Goggles! (Magic: The Gamingforce now playable)

So I finally got around to making a playable OCTGN set out of our own Magic: The Gamingforce collection.

Magic: The Gamingforce

I'm not sure how playable it is by itself, but I think it will work. There's tons of rares and uncommons and not that many commons, but this won't matter except in Sealed. And there's not many green cards, but who cares. Screw green, and by extension everyone whose card is green.

Some of the rules text is kinda weird, but it's mostly clear enough as to what it means. I did have some questions:

Pang - What is Troll Bell supposed to do with the creature you search for? Put it in your hand, into play? It doesn't specify.

Skexis - Are the paralyzation counters that Hotobu gives supposed to do anything?

Of course, you'll need the client, OCTGN, if you want to play:

Download OCTGN

Oh, and here's every official Magic card (scroll down for new Megaupload links):

Alpha through Tenth Edition Torrent
Lorwyn
Morningtide
Shadowmoor
Eventide
Shards of Alara

I'm not going to try to organize a tournament or anything, but I was hoping some would at least want to play a casual game every now and then.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Bless the Maker and His water. Bless the coming and the going of Him.

Last edited by StarmanDX; Dec 17, 2008 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Old OCTGN download link went down, put up a new one.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2008, 09:48 PM #2 of 37
You are my hero for this. I was gradually working on this myself, but an HD failure wiped out my entire card archive and all the work on the OCTGN file, so.

As far as Troll Bell, I honestly couldn't tell you. I must have made that card at least 5 years ago. Off the cuff I'd go ahead and put the creature into play, though.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
StarmanDX
Muad'Dib!

Member 354

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2008, 09:57 PM Local time: Nov 19, 2008, 08:57 PM #3 of 37
Ah. I was wondering if you were working on this way back when. In retrospect we probably should have just divided up the work.

Into play sounds like what it should have been. After we've found some more errors and stuff, I'll include that in an update.

Oh, since you lost yours, do you want the card archive with the original filenames, too?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by StarmanDX; Nov 19, 2008 at 10:05 PM.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:51 PM Local time: Nov 19, 2008, 09:51 PM #4 of 37
My counter-troll card better be in here.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Last edited by No. Hard Pass.; Nov 19, 2008 at 10:53 PM.
StarmanDX
Muad'Dib!

Member 354

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:14 PM Local time: Nov 19, 2008, 10:14 PM #5 of 37
Um, nope. Only cards I had were from the original project by Crash, Pang, Skexis, Talbain, and Wild Violence.

Besides, The Goggles may do nothing, but at least they work. This doesn't. Yeah, if I ever had a card made, it probably should have been StarmanDX, Anal Magic Rules Enforcer.

However, I could change it to something similar that makes sense and add it in an update. I was also thinking of making an expansion if there's interest in this, which it could be in.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:02 AM Local time: Nov 20, 2008, 12:02 AM #6 of 37
Skexis - Are the paralyzation counters that Hotobu gives supposed to do anything?
If I remember correctly, the counter was a holdover from the original ability I had in mind, and it just never occurred to me to take that part out.

It may also have had something to do with my archaic understanding of ability rules, and how they take effect at end of turn. I thought a counter was needed if a spell effect didn't take place as an instant.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2008, 05:13 AM Local time: Nov 20, 2008, 11:13 AM #7 of 37
And there's not many green cards, but who cares. Screw green, and by extension everyone whose card is green.
But my card is green.

I have no idea how you play Magic but it was awesome looking through all the old cards again. Nostalgia ftw.

FELIPE NO
StarmanDX
Muad'Dib!

Member 354

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Nov 25, 2008, 01:06 AM Local time: Nov 25, 2008, 12:06 AM #8 of 37
So, does anyone want to play, Magic: the Gamingforce or otherwise? I love me a game of Invasion block Sealed. Weekends are usually pretty good for me, and in December most weekday evenings should be as well.

Spoiler:
Steam - StarmanDX, the Gamingforce group (current display name Colonel Gentleman)
AIM - StarmanDXX
MSN - ness170@hotmail.com

Most amazing jew boots

Zephyrin
OOOHHHHhhhhhh YEEEEAAAAHHHHhhhh~!!!1

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2008, 10:51 PM Local time: Nov 27, 2008, 08:51 PM #9 of 37
I will play with you. Catch my AIM. I will just have to download the program and you will have to brush me up to all the new rules and probably a few old ones.

How ya doing, buddy?
Zephyrin

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2008, 04:56 AM Local time: Nov 30, 2008, 02:56 AM #10 of 37
I've been playing with with Starman, and it's pretty fun, once you get the program set up.

Haven't built any decks with the GFF cards or anything else yet, but we've been playing sealed with the different blocks, and it's fairly entertaining.

If we got a couple of others, we could probably play teams or free for all.

So yeah, you guys need to play.

How ya doing, buddy?
wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2008, 10:47 PM #11 of 37
I'm looking over these cards, and the Tails card is totally making me re-lol. Fabulous.

Also, is it just me or is the destroy function on BVANNED Black kinda odd, what with the general "we get along" nature of black and green (at least as it was back when I was playing. Too many bastards with black/green decks kicking my ass).

Most amazing jew boots
It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.

Last edited by wvlfpvp; Nov 30, 2008 at 11:01 PM.
StarmanDX
Muad'Dib!

Member 354

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2008, 11:26 PM Local time: Nov 30, 2008, 10:26 PM #12 of 37
Not quite. They do often make a good combo, I think, but if you look at the color wheel (on the back on any card):

Each color is next to its allies and opposite its enemies. So on the BVANNED cards, each color destroys its enemies.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2008, 04:49 PM #13 of 37
Alright, I am bored to tears by straight-up duels anymore but if you guys are up from some multi then I'm game. Give me a couple days to download all this crap.

Zephyrin

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2008, 04:53 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2008, 02:53 PM #14 of 37
Heh. Playing this gave me the itch to actually drop by a gaming shop and spend money on physical cards. Awful. But I might go play in their tournies and see how it goes.

StarmanDX
Muad'Dib!

Member 354

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2008, 06:31 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2008, 05:31 PM #15 of 37
New Megaupload links.

Lorwyn
Morningtide
Shadowmoor
Eventide
Shards of Alara

FELIPE NO

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Dec 17, 2008, 07:32 AM #16 of 37
So, I've downloaded everything and attempted to patch it all together. I'd done it before and figured I could remember the process. How foolish I am. I followed the instructions in the readme.txt to a tee, yet whenever I call up the Deck Editor, the only cards I can access are the default poker playing cards.

I have all the patch files in their own respective folders, as advised. It's been a couple years since I used OCTGN, I guess it's not as simple as I believed. What am I perhaps doing wrong?

EDIT: Looking over the .jpgs of the Magic: the Gamingforce cards, I'm seeing a minor need for some updates and clarifications. I shall have to track down a copy of MtG Editor (if I don't have it currently) and amend some of these cards, perhaps bring them up to current appearances and Oracle standards. Maybe I'll tweak a few to make them more playable, i.e. casting cost or power adjustments. Magic grammar has always come easy to me, might as well make use of the knack.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Dec 17, 2008, 07:39 AM #17 of 37
This also happened to me and the solution as it turned out was head-slappingly obvious: just open Search and press List All Cards.

Why it doesn't do this by default I have no blessed idea.

Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Dec 17, 2008, 08:29 AM 1 #18 of 37
I feel that my stupidity has been validated, yet nonetheless stupid in the first place. Lord, I hate technology, sometimes.

I shall commence with the deck-making now, seeing as sleep was a wasted effort last night. Maybe I'll have a handful of decks by this evening.

EDIT: So how the hell do I name a deck? Right now, it's "Untitled 2" and that is just not acceptable.

Additional Spam:
Had some time to play around, made some new cards.

SPLAT!

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon; Dec 17, 2008 at 05:29 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
StarmanDX
Muad'Dib!

Member 354

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Dec 17, 2008, 06:46 PM Local time: Dec 17, 2008, 05:46 PM #19 of 37
EDIT: Looking over the .jpgs of the Magic: the Gamingforce cards, I'm seeing a minor need for some updates and clarifications. I shall have to track down a copy of MtG Editor (if I don't have it currently) and amend some of these cards, perhaps bring them up to current appearances and Oracle standards. Maybe I'll tweak a few to make them more playable, i.e. casting cost or power adjustments. Magic grammar has always come easy to me, might as well make use of the knack.
I was thinking of this myself, but I didn't want to mess with an author's cards. I changed some Oracle text for OCTGN, but not as much as I wanted to. The intent on most cards is clear enough, at least.

EDIT: So how the hell do I name a deck? Right now, it's "Untitled 2" and that is just not acceptable.
In the deck editor, click "Info" at the top left, then change the name next to "Deck Title" in the top right. Then click "Save" at the top left right away, or the name won't stick.

Zeph and I found a bug, as well. I was resetting a sealed deck, and accidentally clicked "Unload deck." I clicked cancel, but it unloaded anyways. So, in case someone accidentally does the same, make sure to select "Yes" to save the deck because cancel doesn't work.

Most amazing jew boots

Zephyrin

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2008, 01:30 AM Local time: Dec 17, 2008, 11:30 PM #20 of 37
This also happened to me and the solution as it turned out was head-slappingly obvious: just open Search and press List All Cards.

Why it doesn't do this by default I have no blessed idea.
By default it shows in the grid whatever deck is first in alphabetical order that you have saved. The playing cards are all that's preloaded, so yeah.

How ya doing, buddy?
smurfette
Wark!

Member 32446

Level 2.62

Dec 2008

Old Dec 23, 2008, 12:15 AM #21 of 37
im not getting any of this

is there anywhere to post non-inside cards?

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Dec 23, 2008, 12:25 AM Local time: Dec 23, 2008, 12:25 AM #22 of 37
If you really wanted to, you could make your own thread in Creator's Cafe, but you might get some less than enthusiastic responses based on your rocky start.

Um, basically I wouldn't, unless you want to draw undue attention on yourself. These things have ended badly before.

smurfette
Wark!

Member 32446

Level 2.62

Dec 2008

Old Dec 23, 2008, 03:17 PM #23 of 37
im not following. you want me NOT to post my work because its not related to forum jokes? i would like comments on my cardsbut they are not related to this place, they are more like "real" cards.

FELIPE NO
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Dec 23, 2008, 03:31 PM #24 of 37
Well, those who are genuinely interested in seeing card ideas won't make fun unless they're really, really, really ridiculously bad.

But Magic players are within a minority here. The rest of the members like to look at the cards we make just because they're privy to the inside jokes. They don't know what the hell "Denicalis, Pharoah of the Towel" does in-game, but they can still laugh because they know Denicalis himself.

But without that connection, most people are apt to simply stare and say stuff like "I guess it's a good card...?" or "LOL, I don't know what it does but I like the picture." The rougher members might see it as you making an attempt to win friends by showing your wares and pick on you for it.

It's not that you can't or shouldn't post your own realistic cards. Just be prepared to have a thick skin should a trolling moron or two appear.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Zephyrin

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 23, 2008, 06:23 PM Local time: Dec 23, 2008, 04:23 PM #25 of 37
Another point in case is that if you have a decent template set up, it's not hard to "create" cards. You copy paste some artwork you found online, follow some formulae on basic card structure, and woopdeedoo. It's not a particularly....awestriking talent in itself.

On another note, we played with some GFF cards last night. Starman crushed us with Agent Ed, but never got to play Oklahoma Sexy Patrol. =(

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Pang's Violence Basement > Let's Cast The Goggles! (Magic: The Gamingforce now playable)