Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Cable Modems And Coax

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:25 AM #1 of 3
Cable Modems And Coax

I'm in a new apartment blah blah blah.

My problem is this: the landlord is ass-dragging on getting the internet set-up. So much so, that they originally asked if I knew how to install it. I've done WiFi networks, sure - but never touched a coax line since the advent of cable modems or T1 lines.

So theres is a coax line - about 17 feet away from my PC. And its at such an unearthly angle (basically from the ceiling), that moving my computer closer wouldn't do a fucking lick of good.

As I'm new to this, my basic understanding is to just take the current coax line, attach a splitter and then run about... 25 feet of coax to a cable modem which I've yet to install.

Is that basically it? I don't even know if the ISP (Optimum) requires drivers or a software install (Charter and Comcast do not, others do) and further -theres gotta be another modem somewhere in the house. Would having two of them be a signal problem? I know that coax lines are basically things that you can split ten times and not ruin the signal - but this shit is new to me. Damn it, Jim - I do networking, not hardware line installations.

Most amazing jew boots
llmercll
Banned

Member 31986

Level 8.89

Oct 2008

Old Nov 4, 2008, 11:02 AM #2 of 3
I would attach the splitter ($5) at radio shack and run the wire to my modem, worst case scenario it doesn't work and you need to wait, best case ti works and you're golden. Also, if it's just the coax *jack* you don't need to bother with a splitter, just get one long cable and plug it in the jack. if there's an old cable already plugged in the jack, remove it. but if its going right into the wall with no jack, then you need to use the splitter. or tear down your wall. your choice.

I would NOT pay for the splitter or the cables, that's bs and if im not mistaken most places do free installation where a guy comes who has miles of cable in his truck and does it for you. At least mine was free, and I got cables and a splitter.

And to avoid having a huge coaxial cable running across your apartment like a party decor i would run it down the wall (hopefully its in a corner), tape it, and then run it under the carpet to wherever your desk is. The cable company Won't do that for you.

Don't be surprised if it doesn't work at first, especially if you're cable service hasn't been activated (they do it remotely or come to your house and flips some switches i think), and if it has been activated you've been paying for nothing.

hope this helps, good luck!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2008, 11:23 AM #3 of 3
Problem fixed but thanks for playing!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Cable Modems And Coax