Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Tournament] 2008-09 NHL season discussion thread

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:54 PM #1 of 70
2008-09 NHL season discussion thread

Free agency begins in less than a week, and for every team except for the Toronto Maple Leafs it means renewed optimism and hope for the coming season. Parity is in full swing and no one would be surprised in the slightest if the Chicago Blackhawks made the Western Conference finals (which is my dangerously early prediction of the year). Of course, early on like this it's always the clever thing to do when you say "Penguins vs. Red Wings" in the Final, but only half of the matchup sounds fair at this point as the Penguins will be losing Marian Hossa (likely), Gary Roberts (definitely) and Ryan Malone (definitely). To be honest, that doesn't leave the Penguins in too bad a shape, but if there's a lesson to be learned from this past season it's that depth isn't a bad thing to have a little of.

The Penguins did luck out with Ty (wait, no, not anymore) Conklin (who also may be hitting the dusty trail) and got what they were hoping for from Malkin (read: Hart-worthy effort), but no one was excited to see the Penguins heading into the middle of January without Fleury, Crosby and Mark Eaton (snake-bitten). We'll have to see what happens during free agency, but some people are clamoring for a return trip for Jaromir Jagr (maybe) and Markus Naslund way underpriced (kthx). I'd like a top-flight D man, but the only one on the market is Brian Campbell and there isn't really a buzz about him heading to Steel City. Wade Redden would do OK, but I don't think he'll be received well considering the Sens rivalry that's been brewing.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:57 PM Local time: Jun 25, 2008, 10:57 PM #2 of 70
Smartest decision made so far: Vancouver picking up Wellwood off waivers. That kid has a HUGE upside. I've been saying it for years. If he stays healthy, he's a solid player. Works hard, plays his ass off every night. Even on the lowly fucking Maple Laughs.

McGratton hitting the old dusty trail from Ottawa means someone can pick up a decent tough guy and great locker room guy for the cheap cheap. Pity about his hockey skills.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Little Brenty Brent Brent
Bulk's not everything. You need constant effort, too.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2008, 01:44 AM Local time: Jun 25, 2008, 11:44 PM #3 of 70
Speaking of McGrattan, I was a bit surprised to see Phoenix scoop him up when they've already got a guy who can throw 'em as well as Carcillo can. I mean, sure, he's not the biggest guy around, but he sure stands in there like he is. I wonder if Gretzky's predicting him to have another problem year regarding lack of discipline and suspensions.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2008, 02:32 AM Local time: Jun 26, 2008, 01:32 AM #4 of 70
Speaking of McGrattan, I was a bit surprised to see Phoenix scoop him up when they've already got a guy who can throw 'em as well as Carcillo can. I mean, sure, he's not the biggest guy around, but he sure stands in there like he is. I wonder if Gretzky's predicting him to have another problem year regarding lack of discipline and suspensions.
Also frees them up to trade tough guy for talent.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Wojo
River Chocobo

Member 59

Level 23.87

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2008, 07:45 AM #5 of 70
As far as I am concerned Ryan Malone can leave. Some team like Columbus is going to over pay for a player that's a product of his environment.

However, if Pens don't sign Hossa back I think I'm going to cry.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2008, 08:58 AM #6 of 70
I don't have a problem with it as long as we get some depth to replace him at a similar value (Jagr and Naslund is being kicked around at 9 or 10 mil total).

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old Jun 26, 2008, 10:48 PM Local time: Jun 27, 2008, 12:18 AM #7 of 70
Well I guess I have nothing to look forward to since I'm probably the only one that would painfully admit to being a Toronto Maple Leafs fan. I guess there is not much to expect from them this coming season, but oh well stranger things have happened.

I think Pittsburg will make another strong run for the cup as well as Detroit. I get the feeling Nashville is going to do very well this year. I even think Boston will probably put on a better showing in this season.

I'm glad to see Mr. Mullet himself Barry Melrose make his way back to coaching. I was a really big fan of the L.A. Kings during my early teen years. It would be interesting to see what he'll do with the Lightning after being away from NHL coaching after 13 years.

Most amazing jew boots
Magus-Cie
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 31014

Level 3.52

Jun 2008

Old Jun 26, 2008, 10:53 PM Local time: Jun 26, 2008, 07:53 PM #8 of 70
Well I guess I have nothing to look forward to since I'm probably the only one that would painfully admit to being a Toronto Maple Leafs fan. I guess there is not much to expect from them this coming season, but oh well stranger things have happened.
It could be alot worse. I am a Vancouver fan We want the Stanley Cup at least once...

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2008, 10:55 PM Local time: Jun 26, 2008, 09:55 PM #9 of 70
It could be alot worse. I am a Vancouver fan We want the Stanley Cup at least once...
You think being a Vancouver fan is worse than being a Leaf fan?

Do you watch hockey? Do you realise the firesale going on in Toronto right now? ARE YOU AWARE OF THE EXISTENCE OF AN NHL?

Wojo
River Chocobo

Member 59

Level 23.87

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2008, 01:24 PM #10 of 70
Lightning trying to get head start on free agent sweepstakes

Tampa Bay traded 4th round pick to the Pens for the rights of Malone and Roberts. If Malone signs they get a 3rd rounder instead.

Seems to me like TB is pretty dumb considering Malone wants to test out free agency no matter what.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2008, 04:05 PM Local time: Jun 28, 2008, 03:05 PM #11 of 70
Pittsburgh is too, if they give up Roberts. He and Laraque are the heart of that team.

Wojo
River Chocobo

Member 59

Level 23.87

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2008, 04:42 PM #12 of 70
Pittsburgh is too, if they give up Roberts. He and Laraque are the heart of that team.
Roberts already made it public he wasn't going to sign with Pittsburgh no matter what the offer was. So between receiving a draft pick or receiving absolutely nothing, I'd much rather have a draft pick.

BucPride
HOLYSHITHEISSHORT

Member 172

Level 16.43

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2008, 01:01 PM #13 of 70
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AojV.hxux_ZZncjvqt2yulh7vLYF?slug=ap-wild-rolstontrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

Eh. I said it after the Pens trade; It'll all be worth it if they sign him. I don't like the idea of giving up draft picks, but the new ownership is pretty much running the show. The former GM, Jay Feaster, was ousted from his position when Oren Koules came in, now have a diminished role in the front office. So pretty much, it's all what they want to do, with little second opinion to be heard of.

I'm getting excited to a point here. I don't think we'll be anything more than a lower-playoff seed at this time, but that could easily change seeing how aggressive we've been to get some impact players here. We really need a solid goalie between the pipes. We traded for Mike Smith from Dallas, and it seems as if we're probably going to go with him as Koules had his hand in it. I doubt we'll see the Bolts go after any goaltenders, sadly.

Most amazing jew boots

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:16 PM Local time: Jun 30, 2008, 05:16 PM #14 of 70
Smith appeared to have some good abilities in Dallas, so I don't think you'll have too much trouble as long as you get your defense sorted out.

As far as Roberts goes, his purpose was basically to take the kids into the playoffs and show them how it's done. He did that, he's served his purpose, and I'm sure all the young players on the Penguins learned a lot from him in the process. Sure, he's a guy that would be good to have back, but losing him is far from crippling.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2008, 09:01 PM #15 of 70
Well, a busy day in the NHL and things aren't yet over. Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli is expected to be holding a press conference sometime in the next few minutes, likely to announce a signing.

The biggest moves of the day were made by - who else - the Chicago Blackhawks, who've signed Brian Campbell and Cristobal Huet. Just another piece of evidence that this will probably be a big year for the Hawks.

The Rangers signed Wade Redden and Michal Roszival. Meh.

The Penguins re-signed Pascal Dupuis and Mark Eaton, and signed Erik Godard.

Brian Rolston is a Devil.

Micheal Ryder is a Bruin.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Dopefish; Jul 1, 2008 at 09:03 PM.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2008, 09:15 PM Local time: Jul 1, 2008, 08:15 PM #16 of 70
Huh. Ryder? I'll take him. But the team's been very quiet so far. Don't know if I like that.

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2008, 09:46 PM #17 of 70
Apparently the B's might be looking for a few trades.

The Penguins are reportedly close to signing Jaromir Jagr.

Hossa might be an Oiler.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2008, 09:47 PM Local time: Jul 1, 2008, 08:47 PM #18 of 70
Well, I like the fact they're still supporting Timmy The Tulip Thomas. But I'll miss Auld there for support.

Most amazing jew boots

nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:24 PM Local time: Jul 2, 2008, 10:24 AM #19 of 70
The biggest moves of the day were made by - who else - the Chicago Blackhawks, who've signed Brian Campbell and Cristobal Huet. Just another piece of evidence that this will probably be a big year for the Hawks.
Man, there zon't be anymore "HIP HIP HUET" cheers in DC anymore. I always got cised for those.

On top of not going back to the Pens, he's going to the Red Wings.

waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:50 PM Local time: Jul 2, 2008, 12:50 PM #20 of 70
Campbell to Chicago as well.

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2008, 06:30 PM 1 #21 of 70
On top of not going back to the Pens, he's going to the Red Wings.
What a jip. He took a one-year deal worth only $400,000 more than what the Pens were offering.

I hope he blows out his leg in the first game.

I was speaking idiomatically.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2008, 06:31 PM Local time: Jul 2, 2008, 05:31 PM #22 of 70
What a jip. He took a one-year deal worth only $400,000 more than what the Pens were offering.

I hope he blows out his leg in the first game.
As well as a promise of a multi-year contract next year.

How ya doing, buddy?

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2008, 06:36 PM #23 of 70
As well as a promise of a multi-year contract next year.
A.) As opposed to the one the Penguins were offering him NOW, and B.) as if any ownership group is really obligated to follow up on promises.

FELIPE NO

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:20 PM Local time: Jul 2, 2008, 08:20 PM 2 1 #24 of 70
Free Agent A didn't sign with the team I started liking the other year with everyone else when Crosby got drafted! I hope he suffers a potentially career-ending injury! Also I have perspective and am most certainly not a baby!

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:23 PM 3 1 #25 of 70
I HOPE HE DIES

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Tournament] 2008-09 NHL season discussion thread