Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Wii] Super Paper Mario

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2007, 04:40 PM 2 #1 of 58
Super Paper Mario

Super Paper Mario
High resolution box art:
Spoiler:

Platform: Wii
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Nintendo
Release Date: April 9th, 2007

Over at GDC, we've got some impressions of the titles thanks to a demonstration by one of the localizers. The preview is downright glowing and with the game a little over a month away (April 9th), it won't be long until we can have a go at this one. Anyway, enough babbling. Here's some choice bits from the writeup.

Originally Posted by 1UP
As the name suggests, Super Paper Mario builds on the N64 and GameCube Paper Mario RPG titles, but with a difference. "I'd say the other Paper Marios are about 80% RPG and 20% action; this one is the opposite," Petersen explained. Gone are the random battles and menu-driven commands, replaced with more traditional Mario platforming -- something that was always present in the Paper Mario games to some degree, but is heavily emphasized here. So while there's plenty of story (which Petersen assures us is up to developer Intelligent Systems' usual standards of subversive humor) the emphasis is square on completing twitch-action challenges.
Quote:
In short, SPM takes a long-standing assumption about 2D platformers and turns it on its side, literally. At one point in our session, Mario reached what appeared to be a chasm far too wide to be leaped, but the presenter turned the game sideways with a press of the Wii's A button to reveal that the hills which appeared to be in the background were actually just wide enough to run along. It's a little like the white blocks in Super Mario Bros. 3, which could be ducked behind for a quick shortcut to the end of the stage, but more fully realized and integrated into the entirety of the game.
Quote:
Since the usual RPG combat is out the window, Mario's companion characters have changed as well. Rather than rushing into the fray with a Goomba or Bob-omb or Lakitu in tow, Mario's instead accompanied by creatures called "Pixies" -- odd pixellated creatures who bestow special abilities. Unlike previous companion characters, Pixies can be swapped out at any time.

For the most part, Pixies appear to duplicate some of the abilities that Mario and his previous companions possessed. In addition to allowing him to flip the game sideways, they allow let him drop bombs. One even lets him point the Wii Remote at the screen to serve like a flashlight, revealing secrets and highlighting points of interest for more information. That's not the only Wii Remote functionality added in the migration from GameCube. As in previous Paper Marios, attacks can be made "stylish" for extra points. This is done by shaking the Remote at the peak of Mario's jump, causing him to perform ridiculous acrobatics in mid-air. And points actually count for something in this game -- Mario's score is the equivalent of his experience points, and at certain score totals his level increases, alternately boosting his maximum health, strength and other attributes.
More of the Super Paper Mario preview

Images

Old 1Up screenshots:

GDC Demonstration Video

Jam it back in, in the dark.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Mar 8, 2007 at 01:35 AM.
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2007, 05:05 PM #2 of 58
April?! My god that was quick! I seriously expected this not to come for another 6 months.

I've been excited about this one since it was announced. As an avid not-fan of RPGs, I was really glad they decided to try this out. At the same time, the last RPG I actually really enjoyed was, heh, The Thousand Year Door, so I'm glad it hasn't lost it's signature appeal (if going by the article).

I am distressed at the fact that it's coming this early. My wallet

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Lizardcommando
WHAT?!

Member 1286

Level 18.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2007, 08:41 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2007, 06:41 PM #3 of 58
Haha! Wow that looks awesome! I thought this game was going on the DS though. Oh well.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2007, 09:58 PM #4 of 58
Oh, I almost forgot. Apparently some new enemy (the guy you see marrying Bowser and Peach) gets them married and the event causes a tear or distortion in space/time and... that's why there are equations and crap in the sky.

If anyone's played TTYD, he has a similar design to that of the curse boxses that gave you your paper abilities.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2007, 10:47 PM #5 of 58
I watched that little demo video, and the way the perspective change thing works is really cool. I first looked at it, and Mario walked up to the door surrounded by blocks, and I was thinking... "How's he going to jump that high-- HOLY CRAP THE WORLD TURNED AND HE CAN JUST WALK THROUGH!" ...XD

This looks really cool though. I can't wait.

Most amazing jew boots
chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2007, 11:27 PM #6 of 58
Heh, looks like there's a few more videos to sink our teeth into. This time, we get to see Peach in action as well as character switching and a bit more. Looks fantastic. Makes me crave all the older titles in a similar style.

Super Paper Mario - Moves (Peach gameplay + floating)

Super Paper Mario - 8-Bit (Pixelated stage, Levelling up shown, Pixels power demonstration)

Super Paper Mario - Star

IGN's very nice video of a desert stage

Gamespots got 3 offscreen movies as well.

IGN's video is labeled 480p, so it might be that this game has a progressive scan option. Definitely a bonus to those out there with televisions who can take advantage of it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Mar 7, 2007 at 11:54 PM.
DjMeas
~VGM Composer~

Member 2154

Level 15.68

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2007, 01:00 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2007, 11:00 PM #7 of 58
This is one of those quirky games that i just gotta buy for some reason ^___^

LOL Paper Mario ^_^ It's too funny!

Most amazing jew boots
Buizel
Sup?

Member 667

Level 21.47

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2007, 01:05 AM #8 of 58
480p and widescreen FTW! XD

It's coming out next month so... should people bother to pre-order the game? >_>

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
watkinzez
Chocobo

Member 1040

Level 10.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2007, 01:46 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2007, 05:46 PM #9 of 58
Quote:
there's plenty of story (which Petersen assures us is up to developer Intelligent Systems' usual standards of subversive humor)
All I need to know. Thousand Year Door was the best game Nintendo released last generation. This is Paper Mario without the RPG- even better.

Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2007, 02:30 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2007, 05:30 PM #10 of 58
Now this looks fun ^_^ I just watched the excerpt from the Desert level and I now know I must get this game. I should probably play its critically acclaimed predecessors, too. I don't know why I haven't, actually. =/

How ya doing, buddy?
Amayirot Akago
WRYYYYYYYYY!!

Member 12969

Level 21.07

Sep 2006

Old Mar 8, 2007, 07:32 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2007, 01:32 PM #11 of 58
I'm definitely looking forward to this one, if only cuz I need a good new Wii game to sink my teeth into. The whole 2D/3D perspective changing looks utterly bizarre and awesome.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Anime lover, gamer, and dreamer
garthvadr3
Good Chocobo

Member 694

Level 15.42

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2007, 02:02 PM #12 of 58
This game does look awsome, much like old school gameplay with a new twist

speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2007, 12:28 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2007, 11:28 PM #13 of 58
This game looks great & I'll bet getting it, but:

SuperFX chip ftw??

I was speaking idiomatically.
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Zyzex
dicks

Member 15142

Level 6.82

Nov 2006

Old Mar 9, 2007, 06:59 AM Local time: Mar 9, 2007, 03:59 AM #14 of 58
This game will finally be the perfect reincarnation of a 2D and 3D world melding together. From what I've gathered this must have been a programing nightmare, but they really pulled it off quite well. And hopefully the RPG elements are still implemented in a way so that they don't come off hokey or unneeded. But the insane amount of creative thinking that went into this...I just can't wait to play it.

Infy
new-age irvine

Member 20776

Level 3.31

Mar 2007

Old Mar 9, 2007, 08:37 AM #15 of 58
i've very skeptical. i thoroughly enjoyed both paper marios, especially the 1,000 year door. interesting concept, i'm hoping they can pull it off. -_-

Most amazing jew boots
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2007, 11:47 AM #16 of 58
This game will finally be the perfect reincarnation of a 2D and 3D world melding together. From what I've gathered this must have been a programing nightmare, but they really pulled it off quite well. And hopefully the RPG elements are still implemented in a way so that they don't come off hokey or unneeded. But the insane amount of creative thinking that went into this...I just can't wait to play it.
As you can see in a lot of the videos, there isn't that much in the way of RPG elements as the guy says. It's something like 80% side scrolling action platformer/20% RPG, instead of the reverse like the Paper Mario RPGs. So far there's leveling, item use and from what I heard earlier, shops.

Zyzex
dicks

Member 15142

Level 6.82

Nov 2006

Old Mar 9, 2007, 02:25 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2007, 11:25 AM #17 of 58
Hmm, yeah. I also recall that during the video when you use an item the action stops. Like for the flower, it encompasses all the nearby enemies and does massive damage. While doing so the action on the screen stops for awhile.

Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2007, 03:21 PM #18 of 58
That flippy rectangles thingy the desert video that transports you to another location looked very cool, though it seems to do nothing else beside halt gameplay. A bunch of novelties like that throughout the game could become annoying.

Also just noticed the new screenshots. Is that a space shooter level? I'm sold.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2007, 04:52 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2007, 02:52 PM #19 of 58
I have faith that this will turn out better than NSMB (which was shovelware) as it looks like they're at least attempting to inject some innovation into it this time, and when Nintendo actually puts effort into something it shines (e.g. the N64's one utterly flawless game-every-two-years library vs. the GCN's flood of mediocrity).

This will probably be the title that convinces me to buy a Wii (seeing as how the only 5-star title on it right now is a port of a Gamecube game) although I see nothing other than the wider resolution to suggest this couldn't be released for the Gamecube.

How ya doing, buddy?
Prons
Syklis Green

Member 19963

Level 7.40

Feb 2007

Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:29 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2007, 08:29 AM #20 of 58
I didn't like the first two paper Mario's at all, but I must say that this Super Paper Mario game excites me.

surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2007, 02:31 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2007, 09:31 PM #21 of 58
According to Erik, the game as it was at GDC was actually the final build (I'm not sure what they do in that extra month). He was super nice and went to great lengths to explain the game and his job, until a PR guy from Penny Arcade pulled him away before I could ask for his business card.

Anyway, the game itself is super awesome, though I got confused and lost pretty quickly. Then again, Erik gave me a weird save game pretty far into the game, so maybe I just missed some clues. It didn't blow me away completely, but it's already my favourite Paper Mario game. It's on my "95% chance of gets" list.

I was speaking idiomatically.
ramoth
ACER BANDIT

Member 692

Level 35.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2007, 11:06 AM Local time: Mar 14, 2007, 08:06 AM #22 of 58
(I'm not sure what they do in that extra month)
Typically, that "extra" month is to do all the physical manufacturing -- printing the CDs, manuals, case inserts, etc -- and to actually ship those boxes to the various stores. That stuff doesn't happen by magic (yet)

I'm pretty pumped about this game. I played the original Paper Mario, but not the sequel. Hopefully this one doesn't make the rotating effect into a gimmick (Mario Sunshine, I'm lookin' at you).

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2007, 09:34 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2007, 03:34 PM #23 of 58
Here's another video explaining the controls which hasn't been posted in this thread yet.

I enjoyed Thousand Year, even though I struggled to complete it because some of the levels were completely boring (train level, for example). This looks a lot of fun though and I'll definitely be getting it.

FELIPE NO
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2007, 03:27 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2007, 10:27 AM #24 of 58
Typically, that "extra" month is to do all the physical manufacturing -- printing the CDs, manuals, case inserts, etc -- and to actually ship those boxes to the various stores. That stuff doesn't happen by magic (yet)
Ah, good call!

Buizel
Sup?

Member 667

Level 21.47

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2007, 06:54 PM #25 of 58
... -- printing the CDs, ...
You mean DVDs. XP

Anyway, I pre-ordered a copy on amazon.com (no tax + free shipping XD). Now to wait...

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Wii] Super Paper Mario