Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

I love airports ~:happy waiting for airplane time:~

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 02:59 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2006, 12:59 PM #1 of 26
I love airports ~:happy waiting for airplane time:~

After coming back from a 2 day trip from Vancouver, it feels like, despite the very short length of time of absence from my town of residence, that I’ve actually gone on a vacation.

I find that one part that makes a vacation really feel like a vacation, or at least makes me feel like I’m going on an adventure, is the gateway known as the airport. In other words, I feel that for most vacations overseas or trips which are long distances away from a hometown, the airport the beginning and the conclusion of a vacation. I love the feeling of stepping into a massive structure with the paging system blaring out passenger names and the hustle and bustle of airport clerks, check-in clerks, security guards, and passengers moving from gate to gate, people meeting each other that they haven’t seen in ages, captains dressed in their flight uniforms briefing the crew, and many other airport-like activities.

I think the only thing that I really don’t like, but yet know it’s a necessity are the security checks

I do have some favorite airports that make the opening part of a vacation feel special, and those include:

Calgary International Airport – Canada (YYC) – a relatively smaller scale but comfortable airport with modern amenities that enhancing my traveling experiences.

Vancouver International Airport – Canada (YVR) – probably my most favorite Canadian airport. Besides YYC, this airport has been my main hub of connecting many flights.

Chicago O’Hare International Airport – USA (ORD) – the world’s busiest airport, yet a very fun place to be during your stopovers.

San Francisco International Airport – USA (SFO) – I liked the tram that encircled the three main terminals (if I remember correctly), and the general layout of the terminals.

Kuala Lumpur International Airport - Malaysia (KUL) – beautiful interior with multiple arching ceilings makes this place feel grand. I love the multiple tram systems that go from terminal to terminal, oooh, so modern.

Narita International Airport – Japan (NRT) – another very busy airport, but makes travel to Tokyo relatively easy by taking the express subway trains which connect to other transit works.

Hong Kong International Airport – Hong Kong SAR (HKG) – I LOVE the super long “people movers” (flat plained escalators that go along the ground) and just stand and relax, checking out the billboard and more airport activity. I find the lighting seemed a bit on the gloomy side, but if I remember correctly, you could see an AWESOME city view of the skyline.

And for some “not so favorite” airports:

Los Angeles International Airport – USA (LAX) – I think I’ve been to this one a few times, but each time I just feel like I’m in a concrete jungle or something, most likely due to its age and it’s been in operation for quite a long time. I do like the “arch-like” structure in the middle of the airport though, which looks like the control tower, or perhaps offices for the airport staff.

George Bush Intercontinental Airport – USA (IAH) – Located in Houston, TX, I found this airport generally pretty bland with its white walls and rather square like floor plans. It felt more like a NASA control center (noted by a statue of an Apollo astronaut) rather than a public airport facility, but on the same note, it serves mainly as a gate way for travel throughout the United States and Canada, and not so much for overseas travel.

Kansai International Airport – Japan (KIX) – Most of the airport was alright, but I found some things that really impeded travel for those with bulky luggage. For example, right in front of each escalator were these giant metal posts that didn’t allow you to use your specialized baggage carts which were designed for escalators up the escalator, meaning that you had to drag up like two 50 lbs bags before you get to the check – in counter to check your luggage/baggage in, amongst other things.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

In this thread, discuss what you think about airports and if possible, discuss which airports you like and why. Don’t concentrate so much on what you think of flying in the airplane (or don’t talk of what phobias you have when in an airplane), but you can talk about the time from entering the airport up to the aircraft taxiing and taking off, and likewise, landing, taxiing in, clearing country customs and immigration, and on your way in your new country.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

- What we all do best -

Last edited by Spatula; Dec 6, 2006 at 07:51 PM.
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 03:03 PM #2 of 26
I agree, LAX is a pain in the ass to get into and out of. I didn't like Atlanta's airport so much since it's so linear. If you come in on the farthest terminal and need to get to the nearest to the main building, you've got quite the monorail ride ahead of you.

Tampa International is pretty simple. Being picked up is a pain, but parking there is easy, and everything stems off from a central hub.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Stop Sign
By the sea

Member 1161

Level 21.66

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 03:23 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2006, 01:23 PM #3 of 26
I also like the anticipation I get when I'm sitting in the boarding area of an international airport. I actually don't mind delays or going there early -- I would just kick back, fish out my GBA (DS now) or a book, and let the hours pass.

My favorite airports:

Hong Kong International:

I usually arrive in that airport on transit, at around 7 am local time, so the sun illuminates the boarding area and makes it feel open and airy. Plus, the food is excellent.

San Francisco International:

Not as airy as HK's airport, but it's pretty comfy in the boarding areas. Plus, I really like the rotating art and history displays in the main terminal.

Least favorite:

To be honest, I don't like Kuala Lumpur International. The international boarding area is pretty, but the rest of it feels like the designers felt the need to emulate Hong Kong's or Singapore's airports, but fell short.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 03:41 PM #4 of 26
Pearson Airport - Mississauga - Canada - I like the plentiful supply of convenience stores. Perfect to pick up a gaming magazine or four pre-flight. Of course, there's a bunch of kitschy souvenir shops with "Canada" merchandise, but I think you'd find those in any airport in Canada. People Movers are fun to go on.

Manila International Airport - Manila - Phillippines - I don't remember much except that my aunt works as a manager or something there, so the back rooms were very pretty and exclusive. Of course the surrounding scenery is very pretty.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Summonmaster; Dec 8, 2006 at 01:24 AM.
gidget
Shorter than girls should be.

Member 8290

Level 18.41

Jun 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 03:45 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2006, 12:45 PM #5 of 26
I really like San Jose International. It's the closest airport to my school and I'm glad that it's as nice as it is. It's not very big, which is fine by me. Being dropped off is very easy - there aren't any police yelling at you for being stopped too long, and you can just go right in and up the escalator. The security check doesn't take very long and, once inside, it's really easy to find your gate. They're all in a line on one side and all of the shops/restaurants are on the other. Also, I get to hang out with one of my roommates anytime I fly out of there, so that's pretty awesome.

I can't stand Los Angeles International, though. It's not the actual airport that bothers me, but getting to it. The traffic is terrible and the police are jerks when you're trying to unload. Also, it's a huge airport, and I just feel..unsafe there. It probably doesn't help that I have to wait there by myself.

Most amazing jew boots
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 03:46 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2006, 03:46 PM #6 of 26
Airports are cool. I mean, I hate the feeling that everyone is panicking to get on a flight asap, but the general atmosphere doesn't bother me in any way.

My favorite airport is Winnipeg, mainly because its small and easy to get around in. Although they are building another terminal.

I liked the airport in Vienna, Austria. It was smaller and calmer than others.

I didn't really like the Frankfurt, Germany airport. Waaaayyy too big, and I got lost. Kind of a bad experience for me...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 03:48 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2006, 12:48 PM #7 of 26
I had no trouble finding my way through Frankfurt Airport. Now, Logan International is a whole other story. Whoever had the bright idea to force you to take a bus to get to your terminal needs to find a new job. The endless construction surrounding the joint doesn't help much, either.

FELIPE NO
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 04:02 PM #8 of 26
That reminds me, has anyone who has actually been to LAX run across the filmcrew for A&E? I've always wondered if it still functioned like a normal airport with all the footage being shot's for A&E's "Airline" show.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Bolide
Get Ready for the Surprise!

Member 15657

Level 6.75

Nov 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 04:46 PM #9 of 26
My city has a VERY small airport as it's not a very large city. In fact, the airport serves as a outlet to bigger airports surrounding us which then usually fly one to their actual destination.

My memories of airports consist of seeing others off. Aside from a few flights in C-130s, I'm not the one doing the traveling.

How ya doing, buddy?
Ridan Krad
And All Eyes Fix on the Death of Tomorrow

Member 690

Level 8.40

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 05:03 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2006, 03:03 PM #10 of 26
Hey, Spatula, I gotta agree with you on Narita International. I've been to Japan a couple times now, and wow, being able to access trains right from the airport is a big plus. In fact, on my first trip to Japan my hotel was actually accessible directly from within the train station, so it was just a matter of taking a train from Narita to Tokyo and then taking a local Tokyo train to where the hotel was located. Very convenient, I must say!

On the other side of things, I also agree with everyone complaining about LAX. I live in California, so all my international flights are always out of there, so I've had to deal with it quite a bit over the years. I suppose it can't be helped since it's such a big airport, but I just can't stand the traffic there. Anyone who's been there should probably remember what it's like going around that big loop and how congested things can be there sometimes. If it were up to me, I'd model trains in California after those in Japan and then set up a system like that in Narita with trains going right into a station right by the airport (but of course, it isn't up to me, and even if it were, this would take an enormous sum of money).

Incidentally, from what I've heard, there actually is a train line that is relatively close to LAX right now but was purposely not connected to LAX in order to give cab drivers and other such services the business instead.

Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 07:49 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2006, 04:49 PM #11 of 26
I usually spend hours at airports before actually getting on the airplane. Most of the time, I try to visit all the stores to see what kind of merchandise they have and end up getting gifts for friends. I haven't been to too many airports, but my two favorites are San Francisco International Airport and Hong Kong International.

The one that I didn't enjoy was the airport at Taipei. There were hardly any stores, and the restaurants didn't offer much to eat.

How ya doing, buddy?
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 07:58 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2006, 05:58 PM #12 of 26
Indeed, being in the airport is exciting. Aside from the knowledge that it's a portal that connects people from all around the world, there's also the childhood fascination with airplanes that never went away. From the minute the airport becomes visible from the highway til I'm at the destination, I never stop looking around (sleeping during travel sucks!). Plus, depending on the airport, there's always a bunch of interesting cultural/architectural displays to marvel at.

I've been to a fair amount of airports before, but I'm afraid I can't remember too many of them. San Francisco International is the airport we usually use, due to its proximity and flight selection (San Jose doesn't offer as many international flights), and it's pretty nice, especially after the expansion/redesigns a few years ago. Plus, it's like "our" airport (for bay area residents), so there's that (maybe misplaced) sense of pride. Elsewhere in the US I've been to Los Angeles and Washington Dulles but I didn't get much of a chance to look around (we were on a transfer).

Internationally, I'd have to say CKS International (Taipei) is tremendously boring and lacks modern architecture. I seem to remember Charles de Gaulle (France) having a really awesome system of automated walkways and some funky architecture. Narita International (Japan) wins for having amusing illustrations over all their squat toilets.

Traveling abroad again this holiday season, so I'm looking forward to indulging in some childish enthusiasm and wonder at the airports.

mindOverMatter
CLfAM

Member 14418

Level 8.57

Oct 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 08:05 PM #13 of 26
now days air ports are a drag with security and all (I'm not complaining. I know it's necessary)
I had a really bad airport experience in Atlanta airport once. that's about it

I was speaking idiomatically.
Hold on just one second....when I signed up for life, this was not what I was expecting. Can I get a refund?
Pokey
killhouse

Member 15382

Level 9.89

Nov 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 08:24 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2006, 07:24 PM #14 of 26
My favorite airport would have to be Singapore International Airport. They have an entire fucking mall and a nice hotel built right in (complete with a large koi pond forest), and the entire place is just incredibly vibrant and urban, which I love. I miss that place.

Quote:
Calgary International Airport – Canada (YYC) – a relatively smaller scale but comfortable airport with modern amenities that enhancing my traveling experiences.
Aha, our airport actually is very dull. Well, not as white and gloomy as Seoul's airport (it felt like the entire city was under martial law or something, it was so hollow) but there definately isn't a lot to see or do especially compared to Vancouver. Well, maybe except for the fact that Vancouver's airport has such assholes working as staff.

I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 08:36 PM #15 of 26
In my childhood, airports were a bad thing. They scared me. They were the places my father would be dropped off at before hopping a plane on a business trip, when I was left with my pretend "mommy" of the year - who would always be horrible with us girls while Dad was gone.

But these days, since I've been on a few adventures of my own, airports mean TRAVEL. While I hate security (omg take off my shoes what?), I love the excitement I associate with them.

I really loved Vegas airport. THAT was fun. The place is fucking HUUUUUGE.

How ya doing, buddy?
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 09:18 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2006, 07:18 PM #16 of 26
Originally Posted by Sakabadger
Indeed, being in the airport is exciting. Aside from the knowledge that it's a portal that connects people from all around the world, there's also the childhood fascination with airplanes that never went away. From the minute the airport becomes visible from the highway til I'm at the destination, I never stop looking around (sleeping during travel sucks!). Plus, depending on the airport, there's always a bunch of interesting cultural/architectural displays to marvel at.
Sakabadger has basically hit most if not all of my same sentiments regarding my love for airports, it's not even funny.

- What we all do best -
Erisu Kimu
Stealth Assassin

Member 8250

Level 15.02

Jun 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 09:23 PM #17 of 26
I'm only familiar with the Toronto airport or the airport in my own town. Those are the only airports that I've been to. Oh, and the Korean airport. I like the Toronto airport. I used to sit at the mini bar on the second floor, eating cheese bagels and watching football while waiting. I don't like the feel of airports as much as the flights themselves though. The flights always bring a nostalgic feeling for some reason. Flying above the clouds and overseas is just awesome when you can actually view it in the window seat.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:48 AM Local time: Dec 6, 2006, 10:48 PM #18 of 26
The airports I've been to (and I'm not familiar enough with the letter codes) include the three main ones in the Baltimore-Washington area (DCA, BWI, and IAD), Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW), Las Vegasm Austin, Orlando, Minneapolis, Detroit, SFO, LA, Honolulu, Osaka, Hong Kong, Brisbane, Sydney, Manila, & Cebu.

I've been to DFW the most, as it's almost always the stopover in my cross-country trips. But it was this summer for my job orientation that I actually first set outside of DFW. Craaazy. I dont really shop in airports, though I will look around.

As for favorite airport... I dunno: Orlando's is pretty fun. I have no basis for this. Oh wait, Las Vegas probably, because of lol slot machines. I also remember getting free wireless internet when I was there.

Edit: Added Las Vegas.

waka waka

sanemonkey • twitter • last.fm • gfw • backlog • youtube • xbox

Last edited by nazpyro; Dec 7, 2006 at 04:26 PM.
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 04:22 PM Local time: Dec 7, 2006, 09:22 PM #19 of 26
Good airports:

Chicago O'Hare. I love the motorised walkway underpass with the neon light art on the mirrored ceiling, and the waiting areas at the gates are usually pretty cool.
Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson. Been here a few times with LONG layovers - Food court is good, and cheap, and there are at least five bookstores and a Starbucks.
London Heathrow - But only Terminal 5 (I think that's the separate one, maybe I am thinking of 4); lots of shops, very modern decor, not usually all that crowded.

Bad airports:

London Gatwick - Always feels incredibly tacky.
New York JFK - Just ugh.
Newcastle - Barely any shops and generally incredibly rough.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 04:25 PM Local time: Dec 7, 2006, 10:25 PM #20 of 26
People who get lost at FRA certainly have never been to ATL

arch_slayer
ntan1 is a rankmaniac

Member 6464

Level 21.01

May 2006

Old Dec 8, 2006, 01:11 AM Local time: Dec 7, 2006, 10:11 PM #21 of 26
Originally Posted by christinajon
I really like San Jose International. It's the closest airport to my school and I'm glad that it's as nice as it is. It's not very big, which is fine by me.
What school DO you go to? I'm a high school student who goes to The Harker School around here =)

Airports I like:
DFW - it's an absolutely huge airport, but it's designed REALLY well. I find that there's no delays, ever (except those 5 minute taxis on the airplane), and it's really easy to get into the security, because each terminal has at least 5-6 entrances.

SFO - it's a well designed airport, and the international terminal is done pretty well.

LAS (Las Vegas) - I agree, the people here ABSOLUTELY FUCKING SUCK. But, the airport has free wifi, and I travel on flights through here a lot, so it's all good

DIA - it's really efficient, and I had an experience at the airport where a flight stopped just because the traveling group I was in had to transfer from another delayed airplane

Airports I hate:
SJC - yes, I'm a san jose person, and I absolutely do not like this airport. What's with the permanent construction on the facilities that's wasting our tax dollars. Aren't they ever going to finish? Also, the baggage claims absolutely sucks. I've had experiences where I've had to wait more than an hour before my baggage came out.

ORD - I do NOT like Chicago's airport. Every single time I go there, it's always delayed. Sure, the food is really excellent, and it's a busy airport, but its absolutely crowded, and you'll be waiting too long

LAX - What's up with the type of people who are at LAX. They're rude, the airport staff are unfriendly, and the airport is seriously just not the place to be.

ATL - I remember standing here for 2 hours on a line just to get into the delta terminal. There were only like 5 scanning stations, and it was around 7AM.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2006, 01:14 AM Local time: Dec 7, 2006, 11:14 PM #22 of 26
Originally Posted by Summonmaster
The main airport place (I don't know the name) - Manila -Philippines - I don't remember much except that my aunt works as a manager or something there, so the back rooms were very pretty and exclusive. Of course the surrounding scenery is very pretty.

Formerly NAIA, now MIA (Manila International Airport). Knew this because it was on construction before I left Manila.

I'd also say YVR (Vancouver International Airport). First time landing on it was awesome; spacious, well-maintained and most of all: quiet.. on some spots.

mlsmithz
Syklis Green

Member 4128

Level 8.18

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2006, 03:40 AM #23 of 26
Oh wow, an airport thread. Hm. Well, my parents moved from just outside Coventry in England to the middle of nowhere in Ohio just before I was born and often went back to visit their friends and families, so we've always travelled far and wide, and as such I've been through airports the world over - inevitably, some a good deal nicer than others. The only developing country airports through which I've flown are Phuket in Thailand, Phnom Penh and Siem Reap in Cambodia, and Luxor in Egypt. And yet I still had more pleasant experiences in those airports than I've had in airports in some developed countries. In fact, the list of airports I've enjoyed flying through is much, much shorter than the other list.

Airports I've enjoyed visiting:

Changi Airport, Singapore - The queues can be a bit of a hassle, particularly if one's final destination is the USA, but it's well laid out and there is plenty to pass the time.

Hong Kong Airport - I've only been through it once but I liked the layout and, again, there was quite a bit to do while I waited for my fifteen hour flight to O'Hare.

Tokyo Narita - I usually only stop at this airport en route to somewhere else, but once again I like the design, as well as the laptop stations at most gates (my laptop gets very hot after I've been using it for a while so I try to avoid putting it on my lap).

San Fransisco International - Probably the only American airport I genuinely enjoyed visiting, despite having been there to catch a red eye (which took nine hours to get to Midway due to icy fog and no wind over Chicago) and, as such, having to contend with closed shops. I did really like the layout, though, and it was easy to get around it (though it helped that there were very few people there when I was checking in).

Frankfurt International - Possibly the only European airport I enjoy visiting. Though it's huge and easy to get lost in it, that departures board they have is strangely hypnotic (of course, I often stand in European railway stations and watch similar boards there). Somewhat short on things to do once one clears security, though.

Vancouver International - I have fond memories of watching the 2006 FIFA World Cup final in this airport (after having been on one of the few flights I've ever taken on which there were no passengers under the age of two years - it was mostly persons of advanced years about to embark on cruises around the coast of Alaska). And it is capacious and easy to find quiet spots, which is rare for any airport. The departure queues are rather nasty, though.

Airports to which I'm indifferent:

Minneapolis-St. Paul - I've only flown through it once. It was all right, though the staff at the Quizno's at which I bought a sandwich were completely incompetent.

Montreal Trudeau (or Dorval if you prefer) - Getting there can be a bit of a pain, but the airport itself is not bad as airports go.

St. Louis International - I had several long layovers there years ago. It seemed rather dull, truth be told.

Munich International - I mostly remember putting up with a four-hour delay in this airport, after my parents had spent the last of their German money leaving us with no way to purchase dinner while we waited out the evening. Again, somewhat dull, I seem to remember.

Manchester - Haven't flown through this one in nearly fifteen years, though my family usually had better experiences there than at the London airports when we visited (and later returned to live in) the UK.

Airports I've hated visiting:

LAX - The worst in my opinion. The layout is atrocious (God help you if you're changing from an international flight to a domestic flight), the staff are unpleasant, it takes hours for baggage to show up on the conveyor belts, and it's surrounded by zealots and lunatics. And it handles too much air traffic for an airport of its size, and of course it has no room to expand! It's difficult to say which airport I hate more, this one or

Philadelphia - Possibly the worst layout of any airport I've ever visited. Not nearly enough runways to handle the volume of air traffic, the terminal layout is terrible, in half of the terminals there is bugger all to do, and there seems to be an endless parade of construction. You know an airport is badly designed when the inbound flights never take off on time because they are experiencing heavy traffic!

Chicago O'Hare - I used to love O'Hare. And I do like the layout of the terminals, which makes changing between domestic flights or from domestic to international flights a pleasant experience. But checking in and clearing security, particularly when changing from an international to domestic flight, is a bloody nightmare. Last time I flew through O'Hare on an international flight, there were no signposts indicating where I should take my luggage to check it onto my connecting flight and I ultimately found the right queue to join through sheer guesswork. It's a wonder the bag made it onto the flight (I was once told US Airways didn't have time to get my bag onto a connecting flight through O'Hare when I checked it in three hours early - and the flight even sat on the tarmac for twenty minutes because they were waiting for the last of the baggage!).

Chicago Midway - Poorly designed and sod all to do once you're inside, though not as bad as it used to be in that regard. (And either they have the most irritating background music ever or the air ducts make the most irritating noise in one of the terminals - difficult to say, because the same "tune" was repeated every ten seconds. If it was background music, it must have been written by a chimpanzee. Or it was that Erik Satie piece that is supposed to be played eight hundred times consecutively.)

Seattle-Tacoma - Getting there is a nightmare, and the queues inside were absurd when I was there.

Atlanta Hartsfield - While the actual terminals offer plenty of diversions, the layout is terrible, particularly for tight connections (my siblings have been screwed over several times by this phenomenon).

Detroit Metro - You have two options. Either you check into a dilapidated terminal in which there is nothing to do once you clear security (although the security queues usually move quickly) or you get a very nice terminal but must fly Northwest with all the hassle that tends to entail. Unfortunately it is my current local major airport, though only until next summer (I hope).

Las Vegas - The classic case of handling too many flights with too little airport and no room to expand. I'm not a slot machine fan so that doesn't really help in my case.

Washington Dulles - Dullest seems more appropriate. I was bored sick last time I flew through there, and there was a chaotic mess of construction enveloping the entire airport which seemed as though it would take years to finish.

Washington National - Similar complaint. A mess of neverending construction inside and out and a mind-numbingly dull terminal.

Baltimore International - The security queues are nightmarish and the terminal layout comes across as ill-conceived, particularly for the baggage claim.

Cleveland International - Poorly planned and poorly maintained, and definitely a bad airport in the winter months with toxic snow blowing in from toxic Lake Erie.

Boston Logan - Do you love to queue? Do you love standing around for hours in a long, slow-moving procession of people waiting to reach the front so you can move on to the next queue? Then you'll adore Logan.

New York JFK - Awful terminal layout (I despise airports where getting between terminals requires taking a crowded bus - somehow crowded trains don't irritate me as much), and the staff were extremely rude last time I was there.

New York LaGuardia - Decrepit and dull. Though it's been years since I flew through it, I hear it hasn't improved much.

Newark International - The last of the Unholy Trinity of New York airports, and on a similar level. Once again, I didn't care for the terminal layout and was bored out of my mind once I'd cleared security.

London Heathrow - Utter chaos. The departures and arrivals areas are always packed to bursting point, and I've never liked the layout of Terminals 1-3. I can't remember if I've ever been through Terminal 4, which is apparently a rather different experience.

London Gatwick - Dilapidated, poorly laid out, and arguably the worst baggage handlers of any airport I've experienced. Every time I fly through there my bags take nearly an hour to show up on the belt.

Perth International - Lots of luck if you need to change to a domestic flight - the terminals are on opposite sides of the runways, so it takes nearly twenty minutes to get from one to the other! Also somewhat decrepit and excruciatingly boring. And I got stuck in a lift there for forty minutes, so that has tarnished my opinion of it for a long while.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by mlsmithz; Dec 8, 2006 at 11:42 AM.
theclit
Not theclit

Member 2480

Level 4.76

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:52 PM #24 of 26
I have never experienced the new stresses caused by increased security since it has been YEARs since I have been on a plane. Heck I think I was 7 the last time I was on one. That was......21 years ago??? o_O. I'd have fun waiting for the plane....I'd grab a really tall tripple-shot screwdriver from the bar and walk around with a remote fart machine letting em rip all over. I can think of many things to do to pass the time away. I will never grow up! I would try to setup a tent and tell people I live there..."like that terminal movie", and speak to everyone in German.

----
Locke
Flying High

Member 488

Level 23.98

Mar 2006

Old Dec 9, 2006, 10:44 AM #25 of 26
Wiarton, Ontario, Canada (CYVV) - One of the very few airports in canada with a courtesy car for pilots! It's an old ford beeter, but it's nice to go into town and grab something to eat.

Buttonvile, Ontario, Canada (CYKZ) - Woo! Millionair FBO! They're awesome there, and have a jaguar as a crew car! Rippin' around in a Jag is swwweeeeet!

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (CYOW) - FBO was nice enough there to order us pizza for when we got in - and they even paid for us! (mind you, we got like $400 or so in fuel between the two planes we had there).

Burlington, Vermont, USA (KBVT) - Can't beat landing between a formation of two F-16s! That and the free coffee, tea, and cookies in the FBO - and I'm pretty sure they had a courtesy car too, but we weren't there long enough (just to refuel, then back home) to ask.

Most amazing jew boots
Licensed Commercial Pilot!
Currently: Float Pilot in BC
Need a pilot? PM Me.
Commercial Pilot, land and seaplanes, single and multi engines, instrument rating... I'm a jack of all trades! I can even be type rated!

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > I love airports ~:happy waiting for airplane time:~