Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 02:48 PM Local time: Dec 7, 2006, 11:48 AM #2401 of 3592
Quote:
I have to disagree with that. I'd rather have the game not work at all than have it work with glaring errors. That's why all those games don't work for 360 yet. Because they haven't fixed it to where it won't have shit like random noises playing over static or "40 - 60% of the "pre-battle" transition screen appears black, and the remaining portion of the screen appears corrupted."

Maybe that's just me.
Yeah it is just you. I'd rather have an out of the box 90+% compatibility rate. Seriously, are you even reading the problems here? These are small problems that crop up some of the time at specific points of the game. What exactly are you expecting here? For Sony to throughly playtest every PS1 and PS2 game to make sure every aspect of every game works correctly?

Yeah let's hold up the release of the PS3 for six months so the engineers can work out that problem with the black box around Cloud in the ten year old FF7.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 03:54 PM Local time: Dec 7, 2006, 02:54 PM #2402 of 3592
Are any of you guys having the scaling issues? As in, 1080p games/content is downscaled to 480p when your TV can only accept 720p/1080i? I heard a bit about that and was wondering if that was a common issue.

Also, just a curious question here, how many of the PS3 owners here have HDTVs?

How ya doing, buddy?
~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)
Cobalt Katze
This game will never come out.

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 04:14 PM Local time: Dec 7, 2006, 01:14 PM #2403 of 3592
The main issue I have is BluRay playback. Since my monitor has a native res of 1680x1050, I can't quite hit the 1080p mark (30 pixels off, ugh) so I run everything in 720p. Unfortunately, the PS3's BR playback is either 1080p or 480p, with no scaling up or down to fit my 720... So as a result, the quality looks about equal to a DVD, which is really unfortunate. Games, though, pretty much all have 720p resolutions and so I don't have issues there.

I technically have an "HDTV", which is a 20" widescreen monitor with DVI-D input. Things are definately more shiny than they would be on an SDTV though.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 06:11 PM Local time: Dec 8, 2006, 01:11 AM #2404 of 3592
Cobalt, does your monitor support HDCP? Or does the HDMI to DVI-D solution work for games and BluRay all the same (without HDCP)? I'm asking this because I'm planning to use a computer LCD display with my PS3 as well. People said the PS3 wouldn't display anything if the device didn't support HDCP (which is only supported by a small number of computer displays).

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Cobalt Katze

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 07:26 PM Local time: Dec 7, 2006, 04:26 PM #2405 of 3592
No idea what HDCP is, so I can't help you there.

Just got Lemmings and played it a ton So much fun... Brought back good memories of playing the original on my Genesis back in the day. Things start getting even crazier once they start adding in teleporters, dim lighting where you have to light torches to see exactly what's going on (lightning also flashes periodically to light the way for a second), and then also cloning machines to aid in getting your quota.

The cool part is that you can see everyone else's progress on each level through means of the leader board. All it gives is bragging rights, but if you find some way to save either more Lemmings or complete the stage faster, you'll shoot up in the rankings. For one stage, most people had gotten 4-6 Lemmings saved, but I got 8 and with a faster time... so, for now, number 1 on that level I'm sure someone'll figure out a way to beat my score eventually.

Downloading the free level of Sudoku and then the Genji2 demo for kicks... if I don't fight a giant enemy crab, I'll be massively disappointed

I was speaking idiomatically.
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 08:08 PM #2406 of 3592
You've got to get the MotorStorm demo too. I just played it today at EB and... *drewling*. I have a 360 hooked up to an HDTV and the only that's even come close that game would be Gears of War, however Gears didn't even have as far of a draw distance as that. Not only that but the gameplay was shear fun. Bit of a slowdown at the beginning of each race, but after that it's 60FPS all the way.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Cobalt Katze

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 08:13 PM Local time: Dec 7, 2006, 05:13 PM #2407 of 3592
I've had it since day one actually The downloadable Motorstorm demo is even better than the in-store one.

Tried Go! Sudoku, and for what it is (free sudoku puzzles with a rather flashy layout), it works fine. I ended up doubling the recommended time on the first puzzle, since I've never actually done sudoku before... so yeah. Apparently there's an online Versus and Battle modes, but no one had a room set up yet. The first several hundred puzzles are totally free though, so I see no reason why not to get it and just mull about figuring em out in spare time.

FELIPE NO
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 09:43 PM Local time: Dec 8, 2006, 04:43 AM #2408 of 3592
Originally Posted by Cobalt Katze
No idea what HDCP is, so I can't help you there.
It's a digital copy protection for everything HD. The PS3 is supposed to use/support it by default over the HDMI port. If it's enabled for the game or movie, only display devices with HDCP support work.

The question is wether the PS3 has HDCP enabled by default or not. So if you're using a HDMI to DVI-D cable on a non-HDCP display, it means that the copy protection isn't being used at all.

Long story short: All I want to know is if I can just use a regular HDMI to DVI-D cable to connect the PS3 to my PC LCD monitor. I'm planning on using a 19" screen with a native resolution of 1280x1024 pixel, should be perfect for 720p.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:09 PM #2409 of 3592
well I tried it and it didn't work for me. my monitor doesn't support HDCP and when I plug my hdmi->dvi cable and change the setting, i see my screen flash but I still get a black screen, so my guess is, if you don't have a monitor that support HDCP than you can't play your ps3 at all on it...

Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:19 PM Local time: Dec 8, 2006, 05:19 AM #2410 of 3592
Too bad. I was under the impression that Cobalt had his PS3 hooked up to a computer LCD via DVI-D. I don't think there are a lot of displays that support HDCP for DVI, though ...

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:36 PM #2411 of 3592
Originally Posted by Rock
Too bad. I was under the impression that Cobalt had his PS3 hooked up to a computer LCD via DVI-D. I don't think there are a lot of displays that support HDCP for DVI, though ...
There are, tons actually. Now, when you say display, you have to be mindful that this includes televisions. Computer monitors are a completely different area, in that manufacturers may need to get that shove from the rest of the industry to start making their DVI ports HDCP compliant. Graphics cards are already moving in that direction in order to output copyrighted HDDVD and Blu-Ray movies, so the display device itself should be the next on the line.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:39 PM Local time: Dec 8, 2006, 05:39 AM #2412 of 3592
I meant displays with DVI inputs. Never seen an actual television with DVI.

So PS3 and computer monitors are absolutely no go?

I'm still curious on what setup Cobalt is using, though.

Cobalt Katze

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:59 PM Local time: Dec 7, 2006, 07:59 PM #2413 of 3592
PS3 + HDMI->DVI cable + Dell 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor

Works fine.

Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:07 PM #2414 of 3592
your monitor support HDCP so that's why it work fine... mine don't so I bought a hdmi->dvi cable for nothing ; ;

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Inhert; Dec 7, 2006 at 11:10 PM.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:08 PM #2415 of 3592
I meant displays with DVI inputs. Never seen an actual television with DVI.
Haven't been looking too hard then, Rock. TVs equipped with HDCP compliant DVI inputs have been around for a few years now.

Quote:
So PS3 and computer monitors are absolutely no go?

I'm still curious on what setup Cobalt is using, though.
Certain Dell monitors are already on the HDCP bandwagon, though you have to look at the specs to be sure.

FELIPE NO

Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:08 PM Local time: Dec 8, 2006, 06:08 AM #2416 of 3592
For games as well as BluRay movies? Because that monitor sure as hell isn't HDCP compliant. That would be awesome news. I don't feel like buying a full-fledged HDTV yet, and a monitor like that should be excellent as a temporary solution to enjoy the PS3 in all its HD glory.

EDIT: Just double-checked and noticed the 2007WFP does indeed support HDCP over DVI. The Dell page just didn't state it. Too bad ... -__-

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:46 PM #2417 of 3592
For games as well as BluRay movies? Because that monitor sure as hell isn't HDCP compliant. That would be awesome news. I don't feel like buying a full-fledged HDTV yet, and a monitor like that should be excellent as a temporary solution to enjoy the PS3 in all its HD glory.

EDIT: Just double-checked and noticed the 2007WFP does indeed support HDCP over DVI. The Dell page just didn't state it. Too bad ... -__-
Hmm, did a little google searching and it seems that there aren't too many HDCP compliant PC monitors. As I suspected, even considering how dated the article is, there doesn't seem to be a good variety of displays to choose form.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...ndup/page2.asp

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:12 AM #2418 of 3592
In what may be an error on Sony's part, Lemmings is currently $2.99. Grab it now before they correct it..

The Genji 2 demo was a big disappointment. The scenery and characters look wonderful standing still, but there's a ton of slowdown, choppiness, and a seriously gimped Benkei (1 attack hits!?). This could have been big if they spent more time on it.

Most amazing jew boots
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:14 AM #2419 of 3592
An error? Why taking the worst case scenario? If we see more things priced at that, it'll spur their competitors into either improving their own services or lowing the costs of their titles. VC and XBLA come to mind.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:35 AM #2420 of 3592
Well I thought the original price was $5.99. GAF is reporting it as an error. It's definetely worth the money though, based on the demo.

Cobalt Katze

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2006, 02:11 AM Local time: Dec 7, 2006, 11:11 PM #2421 of 3592
Heh, I bought it for the original price before the error occured. Oh well.

WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2006, 02:21 AM Local time: Dec 7, 2006, 11:21 PM #2422 of 3592
Originally Posted by Cetra
Yeah let's hold up the release of the PS3 for six months so the engineers can work out that problem with the black box around Cloud in the ten year old FF7.
FF7's one flaw for that part of the game isn't the main problem for me. It's all the other games and their
Quote:
Final Fantasy IX
Throughout gameplay...

Silent Hill
Throughout gameplay...

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Throughout the title...
Approximately 95% of all PS2 games work perfectly fine on the PS3 without errors.
Sure, that's an impressive number. But what if, like me, all the games you own just so happen to be part of the other 5%?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2006, 03:15 AM #2423 of 3592
Ugh I was looking at my PS3 box today and a section of the bottom is all scrunched in and it tore a bit so I can see the inside of the box slightly. I have a feeling the damn system isn't even going to work when I hook it up. I can't hook it up yet because I have to organize and move some things around but it looks like something rammed up on the botton of the box. Or a section of it anyway.

FELIPE NO
THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE YOUR 2008 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2006, 08:07 AM #2424 of 3592
WolfDemon: At least you know that Sony is going to fix these issues, just give them a chance. On the other hand I wish I still had my original X-box for only two of my 56 games work on the 360... how's that for ya. Worst part is that I know that MS is NEVER going to make any more BC updates. I guess Peter Moore knows all though when he said, "We're not going to update the BC list any more because no one plays X-box games still". Hmmmm... too bad your ivory tower has shitty informents because LOTS of people WOULD if the damn $500 system COULD run them... dumb ass.

Dragoon: It's not that big of a deal, just because the box has a rip doesn't mean anything because there's tons of foam between the system and the box. However if it doesn't work you just take it back and they have to give you one from their next shipment. Like I said, no big deal.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Slayer X; Dec 8, 2006 at 08:10 AM.
JackyBoy
A Cinnamon Role?

Member 2219

Level 13.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:31 PM #2425 of 3592
Is there such a connector available that will allow me to hook up my PS2 and Gamecube using the composite cables to the VGA input on my LCD? I also own an ALL IN WONDER X800XT but I can't for the life of me figure out how to use all the converter boxes and contraptions it came with. I was positive I'd be able to get this to work somehow but I fail. My problem is that the television (not mine) is in one room and my stereo is in another. This means the time I can spend gaming on that TV is very limited and I also have to deal with crappy sound. As much as I am enjoying playing FFXII at the moment it sucks only being able to play at 1:00am with the crappy sound turned all the way down because everyone is asleep. Woe.

You're staring at me like I just asked you what the fucking square root of something.
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread