Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Tournament] 2007 College Football

Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2007, 08:07 PM Local time: Oct 21, 2007, 06:07 PM #101 of 269
Yeah, but also, Ohio St. was up for the first 3 quarters or so.

Also, don't forget last week when USC wiped the floor with whoever they played last week and dropped like 4 places

I was speaking idiomatically.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2007, 08:21 PM Local time: Oct 21, 2007, 07:21 PM #102 of 269
Uh, last week USC squeaked by Arizona, who is terrible.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
IdleChill
The IceGator

Member 60

Level 20.52

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:07 PM Local time: Oct 21, 2007, 10:07 PM #103 of 269
Rivals.com College Football - BCS: LSU best of the once-beaten teams

PAC ::clown:: 10

Hell, the only reason more SEC teams aren't higher ranks than they are is because SEC teams always beat each other up. SEC is the toughest conference, why lie.

FELIPE NO
Trigunnerz
!!!

Member 814

Level 22.27

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:23 PM Local time: Oct 21, 2007, 07:23 PM #104 of 269
Yay for USC! I'm not sure how convincing of a win this is (38-0 USC vs Notre Dame), but the voters seem to think so.

I can't believe Cal lost to UCLA. Way to destroy the Pac-10 credibility.

Beat the Ducks!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Dance party!
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Oct 21, 2007, 11:43 PM Local time: Oct 21, 2007, 09:43 PM #105 of 269
These BCS standings are messed up. Last week was WVU's bye week and they went down a ranking. This week was Boston College's bye week and they went up. Unless I'm mistaken, I didn't see Arizona State play this week either and they went all the way up to #4? Again, I'd rather not use WVU as an example but when they had their first loss...it was to a ranked team and they went from #5 to #13, granted that wasn't BCS standings. LSU loses to a ranked team and they go down to #4? How the hell does that work?

I'm surprised Oklahoma went down this week. They did just as well as Ohio State did, yet they dropped to #6.
Uh, West Virginia went from 9th to 7th in the BCS. And last week was the first BCS rankings so...

And you're angry that Boston College moved up from #3 to #2 after #2 lost?? I mean, what, do you just want #2 to be blank? Do you think a team deserves to move ahead of Boston College even though they didn't have an opportunity to win a game?

ASU went from 8th to 4th. The teams they jumped were: USF (who lost), Kentucky (who lost and now has 2 losses to ASU's), South Carolina (same as Kentucky), and Oklahoma (who barely squeaked by one of the worst teams in college football and has played 3 teams that already have 6 or more losses).

West Virginia dropped further than LSU because most people still feel LSU is one of, if not the, best team in the country, as is evidenced by them still getting first place votes in the AP poll despite having a loss. West Virginia lost to the only good team it has played all year long and can still get to the title game.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
and Brandy does her best to understand
Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2007, 12:38 AM Local time: Oct 21, 2007, 10:38 PM #106 of 269
the Cal - UCLA game was quite interesting to watch. there were some really bad calls for both teams and also the interception at 1:45 by UCLA sealed the deal.

Credit to Longshore to still play...essentially on one leg

There's nowhere I can't reach.
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Oct 23, 2007, 04:20 PM #107 of 269
I know WVU moved up this week. I just don't get how these rankings are justified. Examples:

(pre-BCS)
#5 WVU loses to #18 South Florida, WVU drops to #13.

(in-between BCS)
#1 LSU loses to #17 Kentucky, LSU drops to #4.

(BCS)
#2 South Florida loses to unranked Rutgers, South Florida drops to #10.

So looking at it like this, it's like WVU lost to an unranked team or South Florida lost to a ranked team. I just don't understand how LSU got so freakin lucky and only dropped to #4 when in reality they should've dropped to #8. They almost lost again this weekend against Auburn and what would they have been then, #7? I don't care how good they are...South Florida was good and look where they are now, bottom of the top 10.

Boston College moving up, I can understand because the team above them lost. I guess there's no reason why they should stay there, because that would mean LSU would jump them to #2.

Oregon was #10, and they did just as well as WVU did against an unranked team. However, they jumped past Oklahoma (who almost lost to an unranked team) and went up to #5. Well that means that WVU should jump up that much too, right? Wrong, they're under Oklahoma at #7. Yes, they jumped from 9 to 7 but Oregon made the jump from 10 to 5.

Also, where's the love for Rutgers? I see some teams on the Top 25 BCS standings that have had 2 losses, yet Rutgers beat the #2 team and is nowhere to be found.

You know what though, if any of these teams were to lose in the next few weeks then none of this would matter because you wouldn't see them on the top 10 (except maybe Ohio State and Boston College).

Also, I see Kansas making a big jump soon if they keep winning since they're one of the few teams still undefeated. Too bad Hawaii can't get that same treatment.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Lord Styphon
Malevolently Mercurial

Member 3

Level 50.41

Feb 2006

Old Oct 23, 2007, 04:53 PM Local time: Oct 23, 2007, 04:53 PM #108 of 269
Originally Posted by SuperSonic
I just don't understand how LSU got so freakin lucky and only dropped to #4 when in reality they should've dropped to #8.
LSU got "lucky" in that its loss came against a ranked and surprisingly strong conference rival in Kentucky after three periods of overtime. If ever there was a loss that could be considered "good", it would be this one, and while a loss meant that LSU couldn't remain #1, the voters saw nothing that would suggest that LSU didn't deserve to only drop to #4.

Quote:
Too bad Hawaii can't get that same treatment.
Hawaii would get that same treatment if their undefeated record came against more teams that are actually good, as opposed to cupcakes and two I-AA teams, and didn't keep looking for ways to lose against that same collection of teams.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 23, 2007, 05:35 PM Local time: Oct 23, 2007, 03:35 PM #109 of 269
Luck or not. LSU gained a victory. No matter how you look at it in the books, it will still say LSU -- Victory.

To you saying where's the love for Rutgers, what about Oregon State when they beat Cal, who was ranked #2, or Stanford who knocked off USC.

And you also need to remember that we are looking at the BCS rankings.

If it makes you feel better Sonic, both human polls ranked Arizona state down at 8, Oklahoma at 4, Oregon at 5 and WVU at 6.

The BCS rankings have ALWAYS been flawed. They're flawed, but not so flawed that they put undefeated teams right at the stop.

If they really did put a playoff system into the BCS, I have a good feeling USC, Oregon, Cal, Oregon St. and Arizona St. would do some damage.

I think the only reason they don't want to do it is because they'll have to reconfigure the BCS Bowl games and what not.

Most amazing jew boots
russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Oct 23, 2007, 06:00 PM Local time: Oct 23, 2007, 05:00 PM #110 of 269
If they made playoffs and allowed only the top 4 or 8 teams in, or maybe only major conference champions plus a couple of spots for "at large" teams, they could keep the same basic premise of their current bowl system, and simply add an extra game or two at the very end for the title game. If you have like a top 8 team playoffs, your major 4 bowls {Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, Orange} could serve as the first round of the playoffs, with new games created after these.

Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 23, 2007, 06:42 PM Local time: Oct 23, 2007, 04:42 PM #111 of 269
I agree with that, like have all 119 teams playing it out, single elimination and then when you get to like...x teams (where x equals number of bowl games/championships * 2) Then just start putting them into bowl games based off some kind of legit poll system (no computer shit) like the coaches and AP polls.

Have 1 and 2 be the championship game.

The only reason I like the rose bowl is because a Pac-10 team is going to get in no matter what.

FELIPE NO
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Oct 23, 2007, 07:53 PM Local time: Oct 23, 2007, 05:53 PM #112 of 269
Playoff system (for example):

#1 Ohio State (Big Ten Champ)
Sun Bowl
#8 UConn (Big East Champ)
-------------------------------------------Rose Bowl
#4 Arizona State (Pac-10 Champ)
Outback Bowl
#5 Oklahoma (At-Large #2)
------------------------------------------------------------Orange Bowl
#3 LSU (SEC Champ)
Sugar Bowl
#6 Oregon (At-Large #1)
-------------------------------------------Fiesta Bowl
#2 Boston College (ACC Champ)
Holiday Bowl
#7 Kansas (Big-12 Champ)

(Rotate the 4 current BCS bowls around, so the year after hosting a championship, that bowl goes to a first-round game, and then the Final Four the two years after that.)

I would watch every single game. Religiously.

So looking at it like this...
It's almost like you're arguing that 90% of what goes into deciding the polls should be who won and who lost. Don't look at (or give much weight to) who someone beat, who someone lost to, where, and, even more important, how good the team actually is.

I think based on this season that we could match up LSU with any team in the country and play 10 games and I think LSU would win at least 6 games against every single team.

Don't look for a second at who beat who. Isn't it possible that LSU is no worse than #4 in the country? Would you think those 7 teams that you'd put ahead of LSU would be better?

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by BlueMikey; Oct 23, 2007 at 07:55 PM.
Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 23, 2007, 08:10 PM Local time: Oct 23, 2007, 06:10 PM #113 of 269
The one team that I think should be up on the rankings would be Oregon St.

They're a great team, just had a bad string of luck/confidence in a few of their 4th quarters.

How ya doing, buddy?
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Oct 23, 2007, 09:35 PM #114 of 269
Don't look for a second at who beat who. Isn't it possible that LSU is no worse than #4 in the country? Would you think those 7 teams that you'd put ahead of LSU would be better?
Truthfully I can't answer that. If there's one thing I've learned this year, it's that any team can win on any given day. I love the upsets that have been happening throughout the year. So both of those questions can go either way. This should hopefully end my rant on the whole BCS situation.

As for the bowls, I would also prefer a playoff as well and base the bowls off of that. However...as for how many teams would be in the playoff, at least 64.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:29 PM Local time: Oct 23, 2007, 08:29 PM #115 of 269
Go for all 119. I mean why the hell not?

BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:53 PM Local time: Oct 23, 2007, 09:53 PM #116 of 269
The one team that I think should be up on the rankings would be Oregon St.

They're a great team, just had a bad string of luck/confidence in a few of their 4th quarters.
They lost to UCLA at home by 34 and by 31 at Cincinnati. :\ And they probably would have been blown out by Cal if Longshore had played/been 100%. They would have at least had to go to OT if Riley didn't blow Cal's entire season for them first.

I'm a Pac-10 homer but Oregon State is solidly the 6th best team in a conference that has shown itself to be a bit of a paper tiger.

Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:54 AM Local time: Oct 23, 2007, 10:54 PM #117 of 269
Oregon State I've always found Iffy. Now if you took Oregon State's Defense and Oregon's Offense...that would make a sick team.

But I think Cal could possibly get back into it if they win out...and if Longshore gets back into top shape, that possibility is VERY good because USC has been VERY sloppy this year

kbardin
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 25639

Level 2.00

Oct 2007

Old Oct 24, 2007, 02:04 AM #118 of 269
The Big 12 has kind of been an upset this year.. I'm pretty disappointed. Everybody is struggling in one way or another. Let' see how Kansas fairs at Kyle Field this weekend.

Thanks and Gig'em

russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 10:08 AM Local time: Oct 24, 2007, 09:08 AM #119 of 269
However...as for how many teams would be in the playoff, at least 64.
Well I guess it is a good thing that you don't make any of the decisions for college football, because seriously, 64 team playoff field? That would be 6 weeks worth of playoffs ok. Six weeks. Do you honestly think that this year's Stanford, or Vanderbilt, or hell, even 5-3 Auburn deserve a shot at winning the national championship? I mean these are teams that are probably in the top 64 in the nation. To me, even 16 teams is too many, because that would still be four weeks of playoffs. It is different in basketball, in that basketball isn't as physically punishing on the players as football, so an extra four games every year could be fairly detrimental on the health of these student-athletes. I would maybe go for eight teams, but that is a huge maybe. There are many years where there is controversy at the very top of the polls, but after the top few teams, there is enough of a drop-off to know. In 2004, you had USC, Oklahoma, and Auburn who were undefeated and of course, Auburn got squeezed out. If there had been a playoff between the top four ranked teams, the controversy that year could have been settled on the field. Last year, you basically had a fight over who would play Ohio State in the title game, between one loss Florida, one loss Michigan, and even undefeated Boise State wanted a part of it. A four team playoff would have settled that with less whining.

FELIPE NO
Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 10:56 AM Local time: Oct 24, 2007, 08:56 AM #120 of 269
And I think what you just said russ is the reason they aren't going to implement a playoff system.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 01:52 PM Local time: Oct 24, 2007, 01:52 PM #121 of 269
Hawaii would get that same treatment if their undefeated record came against more teams that are actually good, as opposed to cupcakes and two I-AA teams, and didn't keep looking for ways to lose against that same collection of teams.
Because Colorado is good? Kansas barely won, and they've played nobody this season. I'll call it now, 9-3 after losing the last 3 of the season, including the Missouri "no-lube" rape of them on their last game of the year.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 02:43 PM Local time: Oct 24, 2007, 12:43 PM #122 of 269
The problem with a 4-team playoff is selecting the 4 teams. The 5th-best team certainly has a better reason to whine than the 9th- or 17th-best team.

Division I-AA and II both do 16-team playoffs, Division III does 32 teams. I think you could certainly get by on a 3-week, 8-team playoff (and it would end up being the sporting event of the year, I think it would be even bigger than the Super Bowl). But the NCAA itself admits that a 4-week playoff is doable, since that is what it does in its other divisions.

Additional Spam:
Last year, you basically had a fight over who would play Ohio State in the title game, between one loss Florida, one loss Michigan, and even undefeated Boise State wanted a part of it. A four team playoff would have settled that with less whining.
The problem is that, this year, who do you pick as the 4 teams? Right now, you'd have to leave off two BCS conference champions, including one team who is undefeated (Kansas).

I can't see a football playoff where each conference doesn't get one automatic bid.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by BlueMikey; Oct 24, 2007 at 02:46 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
kbardin
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 25639

Level 2.00

Oct 2007

Old Oct 24, 2007, 08:37 PM #123 of 269
I think everyone can agree the BCS is screwed up.. but I don't think anyone has a better idea. The idea of playoffs sound good- but no matter how you look at it, there's still discrepencies there.

What can ya do?

Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 08:42 PM Local time: Oct 24, 2007, 06:42 PM #124 of 269
I don't think there is a real way to make anyone happy...sadly BCS is the worst-best thing we got

IdleChill
The IceGator

Member 60

Level 20.52

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2007, 10:16 PM Local time: Oct 25, 2007, 10:16 PM #125 of 269
Virginia Tech is a piece of crap, no?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Tournament] 2007 College Football