Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PC] GFF Team Fortress 2 Crew!

S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old May 15, 2009, 08:16 AM Local time: May 15, 2009, 01:16 PM #176 of 255
There was a page showing a sniper piss jar as a 3rd weapon, but the page seems to have gone now, maybe the idea got canned because they thought some players would find it too offensive an idea for the theme of the game?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old May 15, 2009, 08:21 AM Local time: May 15, 2009, 01:21 PM #177 of 255
That was an April Fool's joke.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old May 15, 2009, 11:05 AM Local time: May 15, 2009, 09:05 AM #178 of 255
New game mode look pretty crazy, definitely gonna be the best on 32 person servers. The shield thing for the sniper is interesting, though the achievement that's ELECTROCUTE 300000 SPIES will be ridiculous.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2009, 11:49 AM #179 of 255
Supposedly they're looking to detach achievements from the unlockables so it won't matter as much.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old May 15, 2009, 05:23 PM Local time: May 15, 2009, 10:23 PM #180 of 255
You might want to check that updates page again, no april fools joke this time it seems someone else is getting an update soon...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old May 15, 2009, 05:44 PM Local time: May 15, 2009, 10:44 PM 1 #181 of 255
Supposedly they're looking to detach achievements from the unlockables so it won't matter as much.
Either they'll open their eyes to sense and scrap the intensely silly notion of unlockable advantages in a bloody multiplayer game, or they'll tie them to something else entirely and I'll no longer be able to cheat my way to unlocking the new equipment (gods forbid).

It's pretty much the one element of terrible design in the entire game.

I was speaking idiomatically.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old May 15, 2009, 07:06 PM Local time: May 15, 2009, 05:06 PM #182 of 255
OHSHI. Spy + Sniper update at the same time is going to be hilariously bad. I wonder if one of these is going to replace the spy's electrozapper. The feign death is also a rad feature I was missing from TFC.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2009, 11:40 PM 4 #183 of 255
Meet The Spy leaked; can't guarantee the link will work for very long.

YouTube Video

FELIPE NO
S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old May 18, 2009, 06:53 AM Local time: May 18, 2009, 11:53 AM #184 of 255
2nd what Garr said, you would think they would have less ideas with all these fan videos around now, but apparently not.

While we wait for the spy/sniper update, I thought GFF would be interested to see some glitches with the sandman vs airblast. Personally I can barely read the subtitles on the embeded version, so you might want to view it on youtube.

YouTube Video

With the cooldown before you get a new baseball unless you go back to base being pretty long, I guess it never occured to valve to test these situations.

Most amazing jew boots
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old May 21, 2009, 04:22 PM Local time: May 21, 2009, 02:22 PM #185 of 255
Jarate seems to not quite be an April Fool's joke. I'll be curious to see what the cool-down time is. Also, neat how you can't use it on yourself to put a fire out. Would also be an interesting tweak to make it so the damage boost also happened to your teammates when you use it on them to put a fire out.

Also, for anyone on here that doesn't already have TF2 and is reading this thread for unknown reasons, this weekend is free to play for anyone. Naturally they choose the worst time when everyone's going to be playing spy/sniper for shitty achievements, but it's still free!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old May 21, 2009, 05:27 PM Local time: May 21, 2009, 10:27 PM #186 of 255
I'm in the process of reinstalling Windows as I type.

Gonna do the usual thing of redownloading TF2, unlocking all the new shit, playing it for six hours and then shelving it for another few months. Woo! Bring on the demo/soldier/engie update.

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2009, 05:39 PM #187 of 255
If someone wants to play some TF2 on 360, hit me up.

If you need to ask what my XBLA username is, don't hit me up.

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old May 21, 2009, 05:50 PM Local time: May 21, 2009, 10:50 PM #188 of 255
My brother bought the 360 version of the Orange Box for Portal, so I guess I could give console TF2 a go. How does it compare? I've heard it hasn't had a single content/balance update in eighteen months...

Feel free to add me on XBL. Username = fnool

S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old May 22, 2009, 08:49 AM Local time: May 22, 2009, 01:49 PM #189 of 255
In the process of getting acheivements as I speak, the bow and arrows pretty awesome especially getting headshots at close range legolas style, but I somehow managed to get 2 of them in my loadout!

I have a horrible feeling it's a glitch which has given me 2 of the same weapon instead of a new one every milestone that I'm going to have to report to valve

Edit: A newcomer friend of mine said he has 2 of the pyros flare guns, sounds like valve made another silly mistake in the updates...

Edit2: Stupid me it's a new random item finding system like something out of an rpg, bad idea valve imo

I was speaking idiomatically.
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old May 22, 2009, 09:17 AM Local time: May 22, 2009, 02:17 PM #190 of 255
Nope - they've changed the system by which people acquire the new equipment. It's not tied to achievements anymore; now you just find them randomly. It's resulted in people occasionally having multiple instances of a single new weapon.

Grail
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 2483

Level 21.21

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2009, 12:41 PM Local time: May 22, 2009, 12:41 PM #191 of 255
It's resulted in people occasionally having multiple instances of a single new weapon.
Or literally playing the game for hours on end without a single new item dropping for them.

The fact that this has to drop on the spy and sniper update burns my biscuits if only for the fact that spy is what I'm best at. I got 11 achievements in an actual server in around thirty minutes, and ten minutes after that I found out that it's random loot time in TF2.

While in theory it's not a bad idea to have random items given to you, (especially because it's free TF2 weekend and gives a lot of people a chance to experiment) the process itself is completely and utterly random. There is no trigger, there is nothing special you need to do. You can be in a server and see one person get every single item, and no one else gets one, or you can be in a server where no items drop for hours on end.

This has led many people to create 'farm' servers in which people set the map times for as long as possible, and everyone sits in spawn just waiting and going off to do other things.

A good decision would have been to tie items to points. For every 15 points you get, you get a new item. I haven't even seen headpieces drop.

FELIPE NO
S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old May 22, 2009, 01:02 PM Local time: May 22, 2009, 06:02 PM #192 of 255
Elaborating on what I said before, it reminds me of online rpgs where people camp the same boss monster for months. It has a chance of dropping some rare item, but then one day another guy kills the monster and gets the item first time, while you continue to grind to death.

It's a flawed and annoying system, it's not even as if they allowed players to trade doubles of items with their steam friends, frankly I'm amazed valve would do something so stupid.

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2009, 01:15 PM #193 of 255
Did you guys seriously love grinding non-intuitive achievements that much?

I played for about three hours last night; I got one drop. That's not a lot, but with the old system I'd need to get 12 achievements in 3 hours. If I wanted to do THAT I'd have to go to an achievement server, and I don't think anyone agrees that those goddamn monstrosities are good for the game.

I want the Huntsman because it looks like it might make Sniping actually kind of fun. I don't want to have to play Sniper incredibly poorly for 80 hours slowly grinding out achievements to get there. The chance to just randomly get the Huntsman while I play a class I am good at and enjoy is a godsend to me.

(and if you really think there's no reason the backpack lets you have duplicate items, you're not much of a creative thinker. Say it with me: personalized weapons.)

The drop I got, incidentally, was the Axtinguisher, which I already had. Oddly, I am not infuriated by this!

Most amazing jew boots
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old May 22, 2009, 02:47 PM Local time: May 22, 2009, 12:47 PM #194 of 255
No achievement servers for me and I have all the unlocks for pyro, heavy, and medic (still haven't managed any for scout since I'm lame and only play on dustbowl).

Also, since nobody posted it, here's the changes they put in with the new game. I'm going to bold the ones I find most exciting/interesting.

Quote:
New Maps:

# Added new map, Pipeline. Pipeline is the first map in a new game mode named payload race, which uses two carts in each map instead of only one like traditional payload maps
# Added new arena map Sawmill
# Added new arena map Nucleus
# Added new community payload map Hoodoo
# Updated Dustbowl to fix not being able to jump into the window in the first building of the second stage

Sniper Changes:

# Added new sniper rifle replacement, The Huntsman. Instead of a sniper rifle, you have a bow that allows you to move around faster while firing, and fire more quickly than the sniper rifle. Works better at medium range than the standard rifle
# Added new SMG replacement, Jarate. If thrown on an enemy they will take more damage for short period of time. Also extinguishes flames on yourself or allies
# Added new SMG replacement, The Razorback. Will protect you against a single spy backstab, and stun the spy for a short period of time. Comes with a 15% move speed penalty for the wearer
# Standard sniper rifle now shoots through friendly players
# Added 54 new Sniper voice lines
# Added 35 new Sniper achievements

Spy Changes:

# Added new revolver replacement, The Ambassador. First shot is very accurate and will cause a critical hit if it hits an enemy's head. Accuracy is poor for a period after that
# Added new watch replacement, the Dead Ringer. When armed, you will appear in all ways to die to the first damage you take from an enemy. You'll be cloaked for 8 second after taking this damage. Upon de-cloaking you'll make a loud, distinct sound
# Added new watch replacement, the Cloak and Dagger. Your cloak meter is only depleted when you move, so you can stay invisible indefinitely if you're standing still
# Spy name tags now show up properly when disguised as their own team
# Fixed a bug that would cause spectators to see disguise weapons incorrectly
# Fixed a bug where enemy spies disguised as friendly spies would have cigarettes that didn't burn
# Fixed a bug where overhealing disguised spies would show the wrong overhealing amount to the medic
# Made it more obvious on first person view model when your motion cloak is out of juice and you are partially visible
# Also made it more obvious on first person view model when you're bumped while cloaked
# Improved the way your disguise weapon is determined to make it clearer and fix a couple of rare issues
# Spies disguised as enemy spies now get a random mask to help complete the disguise, and their target id will be set appropriately
# Spies disguised as medics now have an Ubercharge: line in their disguise target info
# Spies outward facing "disguise health" now matches their disguise target when they first apply the disguise
# Spies can now pick up health kits for their "disguise health", even when uninjured
# Disguise UI doesn't show up in minimum UI mode (hud_minmode)
# Spies that disguise as a player using an unlockable now show that unlockable in hand
# Spies can now use enemy teleporters
# Added 70 new Spy voice lines
# Added 34 new Spy achievements

Scoreboard Changes:

# Dominations no longer get wiped when teams switch sides
# Dead players draw slightly darker in scoreboard
# Converted class labels to class icons
# All players now display the total number of people they are dominating

General Changes:

# You now find new and old items as you play, instead of through achievements
# A range of fetching hats are now available for each class.
# Fixed a bug that would cause the scout's ball to regenerate at inappropriate times
# Demomen can now detonate their stickies while taunting
# Flamethrower's air burst now extinguishes fire on friendly targets
# Grenades and rockets deflected by a pyro under the effects of Kritzkrieg will now be criticals
# The Heavy and Sniper now have new custom death animations
# Fixed payload HUD not updating properly if you join in the middle of a match and the cart isn't moving
# Engineer's dispensers now give 20%, 30%, or 40% of player's max_ammo (for each ammo type) on each use, based on the level of the dispenser
# Added -sillygibs commandline parameter which will allow the non-violent gibs to be enabled
# Added a new taunt for the Kritzkrieg, which also heals for 10 points
# Improved the deathcam camera handling used when a player plays a custom death animation
# Added missing chalkboard and serverbrowser images for community maps shipped in previous updates
# Removed "Final" from map names in the serverbrowser quick list

Servers Changes:

# Added "sv_allow_voice_from_file" convar, which defaults to 1. When set to 0, it'll prevent clients from using the "voice_inputfromfile" feature to broadcast wav files over voice
# Enabled "sv_allow_wait_command" convar, which defaults to 1. When set to 0, it'll prevent clients from using the "wait" command
So glad they turned off inputting sounds from .wav files. Now if only they'll do similar stuff for muting players and whatnot in L4D...

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2009, 04:48 PM #195 of 255
Quote:
Added -sillygibs commandline parameter which will allow the non-violent gibs to be enabled
I'd love to see what exactly these silly gibs look like.

S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old May 22, 2009, 04:48 PM Local time: May 22, 2009, 09:48 PM #196 of 255
(and if you really think there's no reason the backpack lets you have duplicate items, you're not much of a creative thinker. Say it with me: personalized weapons.)

The drop I got, incidentally, was the Axtinguisher, which I already had. Oddly, I am not infuriated by this!
What are you talking about? I've had 4 bows and a 2nd scout drink so far, I can understand what you're saying about yet more rpg elements and everyone having a custom character, but it would help if you could actually choose which weapon slot the item was used in, for now the duplicates are pretty useless.

The real game breaker for me will be if they take even more inspiration from mmorpgs by adding multiple versions of the same weapon and one completly dwarfs the others in terms of how good it is, but hopefully that will never happen.

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old May 22, 2009, 04:56 PM Local time: May 22, 2009, 09:56 PM #197 of 255
I never used any achievement servers, but I did auto-unlock all the equipment from previous updates with SAM. I'll be damned if I'm going to grind for that shit.

How ya doing, buddy?
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2009, 09:28 PM #198 of 255
I find using enemy teles interesting in theory, but how often will you get to do it? At best this is a good way to quickly locate their tele EXITS so as to camp them, stabbity stab stab

The real game breaker for me will be if they take even more inspiration from mmorpgs by adding multiple versions of the same weapon and one completly dwarfs the others in terms of how good it is
Blutsauger > Needlegun

Oops, game broken, oh no, go home, cry

Meanwhile, on the TF2 blog, they confirm:

- Item trading. This is why you're finding duplicates.

S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old May 23, 2009, 04:40 AM Local time: May 23, 2009, 09:40 AM #199 of 255
Apparently I'm not explaining well enough, I was talking about if they decided to make different versions of the same weapon i.e. a level 10 Blutsauger for example instead of a level 5 that does something like +10 health per hit. It's one thing making the weapons unlockable based on luck, but a rarity thing like that would be going too far imo.

edit: Well by some kind of good luck I got all the weapons today, and I've seen players with the medic, engie, scout and pyro hats. Although it has to be said valves attempts to remove the need for achievement servers has only created overnight afk servers instead:

YouTube Video

I'll admit I didn't like this system at first, but as long as they don't do things like versions of the blutsauger from levels 1 to 10 I no longer have complaints with it.

FELIPE NO
Grail
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 2483

Level 21.21

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2009, 07:41 PM Local time: May 26, 2009, 07:41 PM #200 of 255
Well they finally fixed the Ambassador after a day of it being completely unusable.

It does 100 damage a headshot now instead of a measly 45 damage (which I'm to understand a regular revolver shot did more damage than that). Only problem is, I think they lowered the accuracy of the gun, unless a pyro's head is just litterally impossibly to hit.

Speaking of which, I'm really on ends about how they gave a sniper a few added strengths against spies, whereas spies did not receive one decent item to help combat pyros. You could argue that the Dead Ringer is suppose to deter pyros from constantly flaming you, but what pyro in this game stops flaming after someone dies? It's just a minor complaint from my end, because I love the spy class so much. I know there has to be anti-classes, but I would have given up the ambassador for some flame resistant oil or something to that extent.

Other than that the update hasn't been too awfully bad, but I think that's because I've gotten lucky and got a few good drops after about a day's worth of game time.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PC] GFF Team Fortress 2 Crew!