Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PC] Of Spock and Communism: Civ IV Succession Game

Scent of a Grundle
Mountain Chocobo

Member 32415

Level 28.14

Dec 2008

Old Apr 24, 2009, 08:57 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2009, 07:57 PM #101 of 227
I agree - at this point we probably need copper more than stone. I don't think that Washington can actually reach the stone, though - building a city near Boston will probably be our best bet as long as the Egyptians don't get offended and kill us.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Araes
Plush

Member 11574

Level 19.87

Aug 2006

Old Apr 25, 2009, 10:48 AM Local time: Apr 25, 2009, 10:48 AM #102 of 227
First off, misquote on the prior page about Horses, as I totally forgot we don't have Animal Husbandry. We need that now.

Actually, I think the Missoura one is a better bet, because I think our only chance right now to get out of this hole is to go super aggressive. Due to the fact that our neighbor is Egypt, they're going to be using their special Chariots like they're going out of style. However, that leaves them a pretty exploitable weakness, as we can plan on using crap tons of Spearmen, which will be strength 8 against Chariots.

If we go for Missoura, that gives us a high growth city (+3 food base in many nearby squares) that will press back the borders of their city and allow us to go farther into their territory with slow moving, single step units. Once the bronze city gets up to 3 or 4 squares, it will be a production powerhouse, and we can start chugging out Spears and Axemen at both our lower cities and do a double front attack on Egypt. Up through the Pillars of Heaven, and around passing through Missoura. My worry is with Chariots, they may go for the barbarian city as well, to envelop us further.

My though would be that we probably don't want to start until we've got two stacks of 5 or so apiece.

Also, if we move the two Warriors we still have out to the hills NE of our cities, they'll begin intercepting wayward barbarians, and since hills will make them strength 3.5 + any XP level bonuses they should be able ot take on archers pretty handily. And they'll distract barbs who might attack a city at Missoura otherwise.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2009, 02:30 PM #103 of 227
Extremely uneventful:

Fortified Warrior killed off an Archer barb

Finished Settler, moved to and resettled the Bronzington site. I fortified a roaming Warrior there to assist the existing Archer in place and started on a Barracks. It's becoming obvious that our peaceful lifestyle isn't sustainable

Started building a temple in Washington to offset the population anger. Need to put together some missionaries to get our religions into New Bronzington. Bloating our cultural borders might slow down the squeeze Hattie's trying to put us in.

Worker finished building the quarry; I've got them building roads toward our reacquired source of copper.

So many people have dropped in and out I have no idea whose turn it is now, but here's the file:

http://www.saxypunch.com/miscimg/ML2....Civ4SavedGame

FELIPE NO
Araes
Plush

Member 11574

Level 19.87

Aug 2006

Old Apr 26, 2009, 11:47 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2009, 11:47 AM #104 of 227
I honestly wasn't sure whether Krelian was dropping out for that last turn, or totally when he said it. If it was just for the prior time, then it would be his, otherwise Turbo. I've sent Krelian a message to check.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Apr 26, 2009, 12:01 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2009, 05:01 PM #105 of 227
I was wrapped up in something last weekend and unable to set any time aside for the game. I'll take my turn in about six hours if that's alright.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Araes
Plush

Member 11574

Level 19.87

Aug 2006

Old Apr 26, 2009, 08:37 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2009, 08:37 PM #106 of 227
Have at it, and glad to hear that the time crunch was only a thing for last week, and not a general issue with being able to be part of the game.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Apr 27, 2009, 07:58 PM Local time: Apr 28, 2009, 12:58 AM #107 of 227
Pretty much nothing happened until the last two turns:
  • Construction finished on Washington's Buddhist temple. The population's unhappiness waned. Started training a missionary.
  • Hat adopted slavery, and yet-undiscovered civs founded Confucianism and built the Parthenon.
  • Washington expanded, population became unhappy once more. Growth is now stagnant.
  • Finished researching theology and entered the medieval era. Declined adopting theocracy. Started researching animal husbandry; it'll be done in four turns.
  • Finished training the aforementioned missionary. Sent him to New Bronzington. They've got Buddhism now.
  • Started training a settler in Washington.
  • Road between Washington and New Bronzington completed. Set worker to start constructing copper mine near Bronzington.

In short: Defense and development. Pretty much all we can muster right now.

A.D. 300 savefile

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:59 AM Local time: Apr 30, 2009, 04:59 PM #108 of 227
Sooooo... Turbo isn't going to take his turn, then?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Araes
Plush

Member 11574

Level 19.87

Aug 2006

Old Apr 30, 2009, 06:01 PM Local time: Apr 30, 2009, 06:01 PM #109 of 227
Must be the case. Hawkeye you're up. I've been on work travel for the last two days, so I haven't had a chance to check it or message him, but that's still no reason for a multi-day drop. Also, excellent on the completion of both Theology and the copper road. That should let us start pumping out the Axemen / Spearmen combo here in no-time. Has anyone moved the Barbarian defenders up a few paces to the tops of those two hills near our border?

Most amazing jew boots
Scent of a Grundle
Mountain Chocobo

Member 32415

Level 28.14

Dec 2008

Old Apr 30, 2009, 09:41 PM Local time: Apr 30, 2009, 08:41 PM #110 of 227
Browsing via DSi, so i'll just quckly say that choir tour continues and if anyone from the backup list wants to take a ten turn shot at the game, they're welcome to it. Otherwise,this turn'll be a pass and it'll go back to Araes.

I'll be back home on Monday, so see you all then.

Most amazing jew boots
Turbo
*blink*

Member 25

Level 21.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2009, 10:02 PM #111 of 227
Sorry about the delay, just switched over to Windows 7 and its giving me a headache with bugs and errors with things on my second drive with all the games. I may have to reinstall Civ. Someone needs to take my turn - I should've said something sooner. Sory

FELIPE NO

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old May 1, 2009, 04:19 PM Local time: May 1, 2009, 09:19 PM #112 of 227
Sooo... It's Pang's turn again!

Already!

Yay!

Araes
Plush

Member 11574

Level 19.87

Aug 2006

Old May 1, 2009, 06:12 PM Local time: May 1, 2009, 06:12 PM #113 of 227
No, its alright, I'm back from travel, so I'll take the handoff turn from Hawkeye and then it will be back to Pang. Have it up tomorrow midday is my guess, and this time with pictures.

Additional Spam:
Turn completed. First off, an overview of where we're starting at.

Culture-wise, we've got a good spread on our main city, to the point its intermingling with the upper ones, but our lower city hasn't grown yet from its religion.

Army wise, we've got defenders in both our cities, and two free warriors, who I will soon move.

The promised movement of warriors. They will be heading north to fortify in the wooded hills (+75% defense) and attract barbarians.

The next major point of note that happens is our mine for the bronze near New Bronzington finishes up, and we immediately set the worker to making a Farm. The Barracks at New Bronzington also finished shortly after this, and I quickly set New Bronzington to making Spearmen.

Next, we finish up Animal Husbandry, and find out that although our people wander the fields every day working the woods, there were in fact these incredibly useful animals right next to Washington, which we never noticed...

Since that is done, I set our research on a rather long path towards Knights and Longbowmen, which others can feel free to break. The only ones I'd really want are Longbowmen for now.

Next up, its time to actually break those fine animals, and make them useful. Pastures ahoy. In addition, our Settler finishes at Washington, and I send him towards Missoura to set up a forward attack outpost for when our assault begins. Washington starts to grind their axes.

Somewhere in the midst of this, a barb approaches our northern defenders...

And is quickly dealt with, leading to upgrades for the troops.

At the end of things, we've got units a bit more spread out, but the warriors should hopefully distract barbarians from our soon to be founded city, long enough for a Spearman from New Bronzington to make it up there and defend it.

Save file for 540 A.D.

Pang, your turn.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Araes; May 2, 2009 at 02:31 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2009, 07:32 PM #114 of 227
Crap, didn't notice your post had updated. I promise I will get this done tomorrow

Araes
Plush

Member 11574

Level 19.87

Aug 2006

Old May 4, 2009, 07:35 PM Local time: May 4, 2009, 07:35 PM #115 of 227
No problem. I was surprised the damn thing kept giving me a spam post rather than a new one, considering I made it multiple days later, and figured you might not have noticed.

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2009, 06:30 PM #116 of 227

Founded Missoura, started her on a Barracks and sent two Bronzington Spearmen over to defend it. Finished Monarchy and got started on Feudalism.

At this point I will be amazed if we survive into the modern era, let alone win.

How ya doing, buddy?
Scent of a Grundle
Mountain Chocobo

Member 32415

Level 28.14

Dec 2008

Old May 9, 2009, 01:35 AM Local time: May 9, 2009, 12:35 AM #117 of 227
Thread bump! It's been 4 days since Pang finished. Is KrelEN busy or just sort of forgetting about this?

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old May 9, 2009, 05:38 AM Local time: May 9, 2009, 10:38 AM #118 of 227
Ah christ; I didn't realise it was my turn. I'll take it this evening.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Araes
Plush

Member 11574

Level 19.87

Aug 2006

Old May 12, 2009, 10:57 AM Local time: May 12, 2009, 10:57 AM #119 of 227
As its been multiple days since Krelian said he'd take his turn, and there have been no further posts, Turbo can take the turn instead. If he doesn't post relatively quickly, then it will rotate over to Hawkeye so we get some activity going.

FELIPE NO
Scent of a Grundle
Mountain Chocobo

Member 32415

Level 28.14

Dec 2008

Old May 13, 2009, 10:34 PM Local time: May 13, 2009, 09:34 PM #120 of 227
Alright, this is getting silly. I'll take over.

Done. Not much happened.

Taoism founded by someone else

I built a couple of temples to make the people happier, washington’s good - not sick or cranky anymore

barbarian showed up to the north. an archer.

Essentially i felt that we were well defended enough to survive and set about satisfying the people.

Emailing Araes the file. hopefully we can still keep the game alive.

Araes
Plush

Member 11574

Level 19.87

Aug 2006

Old May 15, 2009, 12:11 PM Local time: May 15, 2009, 12:11 PM #121 of 227
I've got the file, so I'll take my turn tonight, and we can keep some momentum for the game.

Additional Spam:
- A starting view of our cities. Both our new cities are growing quickly, while Washington has largely stagnated due to unhappiness and lack of sanitation.

- An overview of our starting armies. We've got two Spearmen to the North, and none to the North-West, although there are a bunch of Axemen and Spearmen in our cities.

- Seeing that Washington is building an Archer, which won't be much use for offense, I swap the just started unit for an Axeman instead.

- Due to the chopping of lumber to build a new cottage, the Barracks at Missoura finish very quickly, and we can shift over to building a new Worker.

- Unfortunately, although we are well defended, an archer comes out of the barb city to the North-East and just barely manages to take out our unexperienced man. I swiftly slay the evildoer.

- Noting that our capital city of Washington had just grown, and then gotten pissed - yet again - I checked to see what civics were available to us and noted that we had both Serfdom and Hereditary Rule available, and Hereditary Rule would make our people happy.

- Washington is now OK, if not stellar. Unfortunately, they're just going to grow again here shortly due to their food surplus, so we'll need even more troops. And they'll start getting unhealthy.

- At the end of the turn, we've got four units at both of our attack points, and we've got even more on the way. There are also two workers now operating in our territory. We're well on our way to being able to attack Egypt.

The turn file at Year 1090 is available. Pang, your turn. Also PMing, since I have been hosed by the multi-day post happy gap again.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Araes; May 15, 2009 at 09:19 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2009, 04:30 PM #122 of 227

Basically just ground out some more Axemen, plus an Archer here and there since we can't ignore defense just because we plan to go on the warpath. Honestly I think we'd have more luck taking out Hurrian before we attack Egypt proper, if nothing else that would cut down on the constant stream of archers harrying us while we try to build up troop numbers. It's not in the greatest location but it should be a pretty easy capture and we need more hammers any way we can get them.

KRELIAN, IT'S YOUR TURN. ACTUALLY DO IT THIS TIME.

Araes
Plush

Member 11574

Level 19.87

Aug 2006

Old May 16, 2009, 09:59 PM Local time: May 16, 2009, 09:59 PM #123 of 227
Probably not a bad plan. I kind of expected Egypt to try and go after Hurrian, and am a little surprised they haven't. The only reason I'd not want to is that it might weaken us for our assault on Egypt, but at the rate we're cranking them out, that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Could probably throw three or four at it and take it. Also, Longbowmen are available too now and Knights are coming soon. Want to hit Egypt before tech jumps a lot.

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old May 18, 2009, 07:37 AM Local time: May 18, 2009, 12:37 PM #124 of 227
Quote:
KRELIAN, IT'S YOUR TURN. ACTUALLY DO IT THIS TIME.
I'm afraid I'm actually going to opt out of this for the time being - I just don't have the dedication I probably should, sorry. It's probably best to drop it now and not hold the game up further.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Araes
Plush

Member 11574

Level 19.87

Aug 2006

Old May 18, 2009, 05:12 PM Local time: May 18, 2009, 05:12 PM #125 of 227
Fair enough, and thanks for telling us. For now the turn moves on to Turbo then. Also, sending a message out to Rychord to see if he's interested in taking over the spot. If Turbo doesn't get back shortly, then on to Hawkeye.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PC] Of Spock and Communism: Civ IV Succession Game