Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Dating for musicians...?

katchum
VGM forever!

Member 180

Level 35.46

Mar 2006

Old Oct 4, 2006, 04:35 AM Local time: Oct 4, 2006, 11:35 AM #26 of 74
I'm an elitist too and felt completely the same reading your first post and agree. There just aren't many of those people around. I just try to enjoy music myself and give concerts just to think by myself "I expressed this beautiful music to my audience..." If they don't like it or can't get into it, it's nothing really, the chance to express what I feel is enough for me.

One thing though: I wouldn't say looking down on them, but rather, being a very lucky person to be able to have this passionate hobby.

You can express your music to your girlfriend or another audience and that should be enough to satisfy your musical needs.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
jb1234
Good Chocobo

Member 1985

Level 15.40

Mar 2006

Old Oct 4, 2006, 05:18 AM #27 of 74
I work in the music industry (with opera singers) and I certainly have some elitist traits. I only listen to classical music and I find other genres less interesting. The difference is that I don't look down on people for having different tastes than I do (much less a girlfriend of all things). If they get enjoyment out of pop, rap, disco, etc, good for them!

I'd say you could use some serious humbling... but it looks like practically everyone in this thread has done the job for me.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
katchum
VGM forever!

Member 180

Level 35.46

Mar 2006

Old Oct 4, 2006, 05:34 AM Local time: Oct 4, 2006, 12:34 PM #28 of 74
Anime music and vgm are way too underrated. Here I go again... I tried to recommend some video game pieces in an orchestra here at home and they immediately told me to shut up and made fun of me about game music being Super Mario Bross and such. You would become a music elitist for less...

Of course it is obvious that knowledge is another important thing to be able to understand music. You have to actually listen to the whole range of music first before saying it's a bad music style! Most people just don't know what they are talking about because they don't have the knowledge in the first place, they just act with prejudice.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
kinkymagic
I made more lousy pictures than any actor in history.

Member 1409

Level 16.87

Mar 2006

Old Oct 4, 2006, 07:12 AM Local time: Oct 4, 2006, 12:12 PM #29 of 74
If you won't go out with someone because they like shit music, you'll be alone for a long, long time. Just invest in a pair of ear plugs.

I was speaking idiomatically.

“When I slap you you'll take it and like it.”
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Oct 4, 2006, 04:22 PM #30 of 74
Originally Posted by rocketdog
I am. I found beauty in music by myself, with no one to aid me except the internet and the Concert Hall.
Ths whole thing isn't even about the deep spiritual connection you have due to your hobby of singing or playing an instrument, or even composing music, but simply because you like more estoric stuff? Get over yourself, sir. The thing that wows me the most is that, the girl in question doesn't have bad taste so much as you are dead certain you appreciate the subtle beauty of music more than she does. Wow.

With normal people, "settling for what you can get" usually involves someone met later on in life, or someone who is dumb, or someone who is poor. A person who is not the carbon copy of you is not 'settling', sir. I get the distinct impression that you never had a relationship past the two month mark. Until you get experiences with dating people, you have no right talking about settling. You don't know.

On the other hand, you could throw all that out and start cybering with Minion. Whatever.

Why did you let an idiot teach you about music?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
rocketdog
formerly known as Green

Member 483

Level 23.92

Mar 2006

Old Oct 4, 2006, 04:43 PM #31 of 74
Originally Posted by a lurker
Ths whole thing isn't even about the deep spiritual connection you have due to your hobby of singing or playing an instrument, or even composing music, but simply because you like more estoric stuff? Get over yourself, sir. The thing that wows me the most is that, the girl in question doesn't have bad taste so much as you are dead certain you appreciate the subtle beauty of music more than she does. Wow.

With normal people, "settling for what you can get" usually involves someone met later on in life, or someone who is dumb, or someone who is poor. A person who is not the carbon copy of you is not 'settling', sir. I get the distinct impression that you never had a relationship past the two month mark. Until you get experiences with dating people, you have no right talking about settling. You don't know.
lol o shit. hmm.. well said man. I needed that.

FELIPE NO
THIEF
Hyde

Member 759

Level 32.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 4, 2006, 06:10 PM #32 of 74
Whoa! He actually listened to lurker. I guess we should thank her.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
rocketdog
formerly known as Green

Member 483

Level 23.92

Mar 2006

Old Oct 4, 2006, 09:07 PM #33 of 74
lurker is a her? oops
and btw, i've dated someone for 2 years. felt like they were holding me back from bigger things though to be honest.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Erisu Kimu
Stealth Assassin

Member 8250

Level 15.02

Jun 2006

Old Oct 4, 2006, 09:11 PM #34 of 74
I really don't know what kind of girls I'm into anymore. I've kind of lost interest in the whole 'looking and dating' thing. All the girls that do share something in common with me, I just want to befriend and befriend only. All the girls that share nothing in common with me, I could care less about how good they look. I'm indecisive.

How ya doing, buddy?
THIEF
Hyde

Member 759

Level 32.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 4, 2006, 09:28 PM #35 of 74
lurker is a her? oops
and btw, i've dated someone for 2 years. felt like they were holding me back from bigger things though to be honest.
If thats really how you feel then your problem is with dating in general. Maybe at this point in your life, it isn't right for you. Anyways, this should probably be moved into ANGST if things continue as they are.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Oct 5, 2006, 07:54 AM #36 of 74
I'm not going to reiterate everyone else's correct evaluation that your pickiness in relationships would make even Seinfeld squint. I'm wondering if you're even really sure these girls don't "get it." How do you know? Do they just not seem interested or have you actually listened to something with them and judged by their reaction?

I find a lot of people are simply unaware of what's out there. In fact, I haven't had a girlfriend yet whose perspective on music I haven't completely changed in some way. In a relationship, you should both have something unique to bring to the table; you should both encourage growth in the other in some way. If you're too lazy to give anyone that kind of attention, then you're probably going to die alone.

My Dreams
Virtuosic Dreams ^_^

Member 1412

Level 21.48

Mar 2006

Old Oct 6, 2006, 08:15 AM Local time: Oct 6, 2006, 09:15 PM #37 of 74
Originally Posted by Minion
I find a lot of people are simply unaware of what's out there. In fact, I haven't had a girlfriend yet whose perspective on music I haven't completely changed in some way. In a relationship, you should both have something unique to bring to the table; you should both encourage growth in the other in some way. If you're too lazy to give anyone that kind of attention, then you're probably going to die alone.
Yes Minion, I agree with you here. Definately both people should introduce each other to each other's world such that both people can grow in other areas that they do not normally explore. Another thing is the kind of "I look down on your kind of music attitude" that quite a number of people I met have. I've seen pop music people denounce classical music as stuff for dying old men and boring bits while classical music people insulting pop music, reducing it to nothing more than rubbish. Its definately time these people learn to appreciate the beauty in the other - pop music for its lyrics and classical music for its depth. (ok, so music is more than just lyrics and depth but you get the idea)

ChocoJournal
The Link to the Chocojournal works now!
Transcriptions A new thread for transcriptions of all sorts.

"The man had a huge head. Like a pumpkin, really." - Godowskian on Shura Cherkassky
Pa2ad0x
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 2304

Level 2.50

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2006, 07:13 PM Local time: Oct 8, 2006, 05:13 PM #38 of 74
LOL.

I love to teach my girlfriends, whether it be teaching them how to play guitar, violin, cello, piano, saxophone. Hell, I even spent the better part of afternoons teaching many of them the basic controls and operations of a motorcycle!

Any person in their right mind should be happy to share their passions with others (especially those that can be their significant other) and it should be considered a priviledge and in some cases, a responsibility when they do so. To teach them your passions re-affirms your love for that passion and can make you fall in love with it all over again. And like others said, it is the ultimate test of your knowledge and understanding of that passion when teaching others of your love.

I had a music teacher back in middleschool, he was so passionate about music and could play damn near every SINGLE instrument you could name and all of them quite proficiently I might add. He was a professional musician before he became a middle school teacher and MUSIC WAS HIS LIFE!

He so influenced me with his love for music and his passion for it which basically changed my life. I will never forget him for being a great teacher and a great friend and for giving to me the love of music.

Elitism does suck. I found it all too often in many self-proclaiming 'intellectuals' of all kinds. It does not hurt to be very confident in yourself, even abit cocky and I admit I am like this but it is never ok to be so full of yourself that it is overbearing and suffocating to any and all who come across you. And if this is the case then you need a really harsh dose of reality man.

Share your love and your passion. The only way to receive is to give.

Most amazing jew boots
Passione
My Dreams
Virtuosic Dreams ^_^

Member 1412

Level 21.48

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 08:48 AM Local time: Oct 11, 2006, 09:48 PM #39 of 74
Originally Posted by Pa2ad0x
LOL.

I love to teach my girlfriends, whether it be teaching them how to play guitar, violin, cello, piano, saxophone. Hell, I even spent the better part of afternoons teaching many of them the basic controls and operations of a motorcycle!
Wow, you must be a real lady's man, haha... Lucky you! ^_^

FELIPE NO

ChocoJournal
The Link to the Chocojournal works now!
Transcriptions A new thread for transcriptions of all sorts.

"The man had a huge head. Like a pumpkin, really." - Godowskian on Shura Cherkassky
nadienne
I don't do too much talking these days.

Member 9

Level 29.15

Feb 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:33 AM Local time: Oct 11, 2006, 08:33 AM #40 of 74
I am. I found beauty in music by myself, with no one to aid me except the internet and the Concert Hall.
See, I wasn't fully convinced that you were acting like a complete and utter prick until this line. If the only thing you know about music is what you've taught yourself, you probably don't know shit. People who are actually geniuses and can teach themselves more about a subject than they could be taught understand that not everyone has abilities in the same area, and don't look down on other people for it. Even Einstein got married. For someone to be as fucking stuck on his high horse about his musical appreciation AND to have no real instruction in the matter means you've got a major personality flaw going on.

Originally Posted by Minion
See, what's so mind-boggling about your position is that music is one of those areas that intelligent people love sharing with their significant others. Taste and appreciation for a type of music is something that's easily aquired, and when you get two people who love different types of music together, both of their tastes broaden, and that's one of the reasons to be in a relationship--to expand yourself. Thinking that no girl could possibly ever have anything to bring to the table because you're so far above their level means that not only will you likely die alone, but you deserve it.

Mojougwe
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 255

Level 20.88

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:41 AM #41 of 74
You want to date women who are also part musician and have a devestating love for the art? Well, it's high time that you go and do some leg work and find these women:

1.) Go on a online dating service. Look up those who have music/musician interests in their profiles.

2.) Look around schools, universities/colleges of course, and check out their music programs.

3.) Check instructional places that teach how to play music.

4.) Check music audio stores.

5.) Check music equipment repair/sales shops.

6.) Check churches. Youth groups are always singing during those sermons and raising their arms, there's bound to be someone there.

Really, what better place to look for your destined one than to look at a place where destiny is found?

THIEF
Hyde

Member 759

Level 32.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 01:57 PM #42 of 74
You know, I tried to censor some of my thoughts but Nadi really hit what I have to say on the nose. The number of self-righteous, self-taught musicians who are condescending and elitist bother me. Teaching yourself something doesn't make you better or worse. Additionally, a relationshps isnt about "changing" another person to be more like yourself. Instead of asking your internet friends about this issue, why don't you say what you told us in your first post to a group of women. That should work well to teach you that the world does not center around your perspective and opinions on matters.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Fleshy Fun-Bridge
Hi there!

Member 907

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 04:24 PM #43 of 74
Originally Posted by Hydelloon
You know, I tried to censor some of my thoughts but Nadi really hit what I have to say on the nose. The number of self-righteous, self-taught musicians who are condescending and elitist bother me. Teaching yourself something doesn't make you better or worse. Additionally, a relationshps isnt about "changing" another person to be more like yourself. Instead of asking your internet friends about this issue, why don't you say what you told us in your first post to a group of women. That should work well to teach you that the world does not center around your perspective and opinions on matters.
I am reminded of a good saying that came out of an Eastern Philosophy course I took back in school. I can't remember it exactly, but I think it was "Those who say do not know; those who know do not say" and it meant that if you are truly wise, you understand that regardless of what you have learned there is much, much more you do not know. It is a humbling revelation that true wisdom is an acceptance of just how ignorant one really is.

How ya doing, buddy?
---
Crowdmaker
I should be working

Member 950

Level 19.93

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2006, 05:45 AM #44 of 74
Where on *earth* was I when such a legendary thread was being made?!! (Damn you, Shin, if you took this to The Sewers just imagine how many kinds of awesome this thread could have become!) God, I lolled sooo hard when I read the first post - you rocketdog are freaking g.

After a fashion.

I mean, dude. I'm also a big classical music person, but truth to be told, I actually perfer to date non-musicians. Reason being I much prefer someone who's similar to me in terms of personality and who has interests outside of my own, and that makes things more interesting. I find playing music INCREDIBLE, but talking about it so boring and besides the point that someone being a virtuoso musician and nothing else isn't really it for me. Music's an art to communicate emotion like any other, and so I value the sensitivity in the music buff as much as I do when I see it anywhere else. I guess the only thing is that it'd be cool if she's willing to learn more about classical music as time goes on, but even that's optional.

Chibi Neko
The hell am I doing here?

Member 922

Level 27.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2006, 07:06 AM Local time: Oct 25, 2006, 08:36 AM #45 of 74
I play the piano and I have a sharp ear for music. Just about everytime my bf and i see a movie I can guess the composer before the credits show up. My bf mainly likes trance music but also likes the anime and game music that I listen to. That is fine by me, our relationship is not defined by the music we listen to anyway. although he did say would like me to teach him some piano.

pheron_written
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 6402

Level 1.00

May 2006

Old Oct 28, 2006, 02:31 PM #46 of 74
Music is my life, and all TWO of the girls i've dated were not nearly into the veins of music as I was, and ya for a time i guess i looked down on my first girlfriend. But after a while I saw how that she was good at a lot of other things, and I loved her for those things, not just music. But since I pretty much like everything except Babyeater music, its a little easier for me. I guess this is my best advice: experiment a little. Before I hated all the mainstream music, but after forcing myself to listen to other things, I see that some of its not too bad.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Leveless
Banned

Member 15214

Level 4.94

Nov 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 01:52 PM Local time: Nov 10, 2006, 10:52 AM #47 of 74
All that you need is someone who appreciates what you do and supports your interests. But give it a few years and I'm sure we'll have figured out a way to attach you to yourself at the hip. Are you a fan of Greek Philosophy? It ties into Greek Mythology, which ties into Fantasy. We were all supposedly physically attached to our soul mates. I'm sure that would make a lot of sense to you.

FELIPE NO
Trigunnerz
!!!

Member 814

Level 22.27

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2006, 03:02 AM Local time: Nov 17, 2006, 12:02 AM #48 of 74
Being an "artist" doesn't make you better than anyone else. You're just like any ordinary person. Please don't romanticize how through your struggles, you have seen the "light" that no one else has seen. This "light" or "truth" only artists can see.

Dance party!
Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2006, 03:08 AM Local time: Nov 17, 2006, 02:08 AM #49 of 74
but when I realize that they will never hear music as beautifully as I hear it, I look find myself looking down on them, believing that my perspectives on life are of deeper and greater meaning than theirs.
You're egocentric. It's time to get the over yourself and get some ass.

Perhaps their perspectives are infinitely deeper than yours, it's just that you're too retarded to comprehend their point of view.

rocketdog
formerly known as Green

Member 483

Level 23.92

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2006, 03:49 AM #50 of 74
Well, this weekend I went out with a girl. She asked me to play some piano for her so I played her a piece. Afterward I asked her what she thought and she said "Oh it just sounded like notes to me, but good job, very pretty."

How am I supposed to respect that? I don't think her perspective is deeper than mine, sorry. Seriously.

I think my problem is just that my campus is full of idiots. Because I've definetly met kids who are up to par with my self-declared "wisdom" but as nobody worth mentioning at my college campus. I'm not even trying to be an egoist but do you know what I mean? It's like when you were a senior in HS and you were picking on freshman. I'm a senior in college but I feel a majority of the seniors here are still freshman. *shrug

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > Dating for musicians...?