Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

New Super Mario Bros.

Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 08:00 PM #26 of 279
I liked Yoshi's Island

And Pipe world > Giant World

There's nowhere I can't reach.
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:07 AM #27 of 279
Super Mario World's "Rainbow Road" was fun.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:44 AM #28 of 279
Originally Posted by ArrowHead
Super Mario World's "Rainbow Road" was fun.
You mean the Star Road, right?

Let's not turn this into a discussion on previous mario levels (I WAS GOING TO MAKE A TOPIC).

More scans that most of you have probably seen but I hope you haven't

Earliest Scans

KOOPA SHELL OMFG

Can the EEL COME OUT TO PLAY AGAIN YES YES

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:50 AM #29 of 279
Wow, I really like that turtle shell idea! Reminds me of Roshi in DB. The more pics I see, the more fun the game is shaping up to be. Crap, why do all the games I want have to come out within months of each other?

The Star Road was bloody hard back when it was on the SNES. It could be just me, but I thought the Star Road on the GBA version was much easier. However, I didn't like the changes that occured after completing it though. I'd rather see normal enemies than Koopas with Mario masks and such.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Freelance; Mar 15, 2006 at 01:02 AM.
The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 01:25 AM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 11:25 PM #30 of 279
Originally Posted by Freelance Wolf
The Star Road was bloody hard back when it was on the SNES. It could be just me, but I thought the Star Road on the GBA version was much easier. However, I didn't like the changes that occured after completing it though. I'd rather see normal enemies than Koopas with Mario masks and such.
I dunno about you, but I actually found it rather easy. I was using an emu, true, but no save states (mid-level). About the hardest part were the actual jumps, most of which I managed to skip by whoring the cape like you wouldn't believe and timing it just right so that I could actually fly across the whole level.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Scottie Wolfe
The Social Riot Machine

Member 3101

Level 1.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 02:10 AM #31 of 279
Well, this game is eagerly awaited by many it seems. I work at EB Games and I've got a whole bunch of pre-orders on the title. So it's good to see that Mario still has some devoted fans out there.

Here's hoping they don't stop with the 2D!

FELIPE NO

Scottie Wolfe
Biographer/Profiler/Translator for JaME

***Visit JaME for up-to-date JROCK info!***
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 02:34 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 02:34 AM #32 of 279
Originally Posted by Scottie Wolfe
Well, this game is eagerly awaited by many it seems. I work at EB Games and I've got a whole bunch of pre-orders on the title. So it's good to see that Mario still has some devoted fans out there.

Here's hoping they don't stop with the 2D!
Mario 1028! IN 8D!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 03:48 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 01:48 AM #33 of 279
This game needs to have the Koopa Kids, and then it will be God... or greater... or at least greater than Pipe World... and Giant World... combined.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
NovaX
๏o๏o๏o๏

Member 603

Level 25.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 05:12 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 08:42 PM #34 of 279
Originally Posted by nazpyro
This game needs to have the Koopa Kids, and then it will be God... or greater... or at least greater than Pipe World... and Giant World... combined.
You may be in luck.

Quote:
According to a recent Nintendo Power interview with Takashi Tezuka, New Super Mario Bros. for the DS will feature the return of the beloved koopalings. This welcome addition should significantly boost the game's boss element. Tezuka also confirmed that Bowser and Toad would make appearances. As for the green dinosaur, since the game is a throwback to the NES Super Mario Bros., "Yoshi doesn't really fit," says Tezuka.

Tezuka also noted that the game will be set in the Mushroom Kingdom and that there will be no boss battles in 2-player mode, no WiFi connectivity, and no microphone functionality. Finally, when questioned about the possibility of a console-bound Mario side scroller, Tezuka replied, "The probability is not zero, but no further comment at this point." Then he just laughed.

surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 07:14 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 02:14 PM #35 of 279
Originally Posted by Darkcomet72
I liked Yoshi's Island
I guess they don't count it as a proper Mario game (I don't), but yeah it was great.

Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 09:30 AM #36 of 279
Oh huzzah!! It's about time the Koopalings get more time in the spotlight. I was disappointed they've pretty much dropped off the face of the Earth for a good long while after Super Mario World. Does Nintendo have something against them? Larry's my favourite :3 Yet another good reason to get this game.

Bowser should really get his own game :(

The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 09:48 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 07:48 AM #37 of 279
Bowser actually had a few Mario-esque minigames in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. Granted, these were more for "lol" value than actual GAMEPLAY (Hell, Bowser was for LOL value PERIOD. "Now I'm gonna be known as the king that TALKS TO POSTERS! ;_;"), but he DID have his own levels.

Plus, it was fun as HELL to get two hunks of meat, grow large enough to fill the screen, and literally kill EVERYTHING in your path. =D

I was speaking idiomatically.
Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 09:53 AM #38 of 279
Crap. I didn't know he had his own levels, darnit. Paper Mario 2 is yet another game I want but can't find the funds to : / It's still a hefty 60 bucks in stores. *sigh* It looks like they're turning Bowser into a funny villain and not a funny/evil villain. I miss the old Bowser.

Last edited by Freelance; Mar 15, 2006 at 10:09 AM.
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:22 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 08:22 AM #39 of 279
Originally Posted by NovaX
It's official then. New Super Mario Bros. > God > Pipe World > Giant World.

I've always liked Iggy and Lemmy. I miss the cartoon.

How ya doing, buddy?
waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:51 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 10:51 AM #40 of 279
Originally Posted by Freelance Wolf
It looks like they're turning Bowser into a funny villain and not a funny/evil villain. I miss the old Bowser.

No, he is a funny/evil villain. But actually, how do you know if he didn't act this way in previous Mario games. There never was a time when you got to see Bowser outside of when you were beating him up. He could have always been this way >_>

But anyways, those Bowser levels in Paper Mario 2 were indeed fun. It made me wish Bowser had his own Super Bowser Bros. series. I really enjoyed playing it. Bowser was the funniest character in the entire game. Not to mention Kammy Koopa (was that her name?) was funny as well.

Malmer
From Shambler with Love

Member 168

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:20 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 06:20 PM #41 of 279
Haha, I see there's an actual fanbase for the long awaited Super Koopa Cousins =D

I thought this was just another remake of the original Super Mario Bros, and didn't care to look further into the matter before I read this thread - and damn!
Also, when I saw the Megaman X Collection thread the other day and got totally hyped for the old fashioned platform style - the longing!
This will suit my portable needs perfectly.

It will be a hard year on the gaming-wallet...

Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:37 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 06:37 PM #42 of 279
Originally Posted by Malmer
It will be a hard year on the gaming-wallet...
Especially if you buy all your games here in jolly old Denmark. ($60 a pop? WHY YES, THANK YOU!)

This looks great, and I'm pretty sure that I'm buying this at launch. As long as the game plays tight like always, I really don't care if they made a game with Panda instead.

How ya doing, buddy?

Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:47 AM #43 of 279
Originally Posted by soniclover
No, he is a funny/evil villain. But actually, how do you know if he didn't act this way in previous Mario games. There never was a time when you got to see Bowser outside of when you were beating him up. He could have always been this way >_>
That is true, but the fact that he has never been out of his castle and only lived to destroy Mario and take over the Kingdom has made him seem more evil than he does now. Actually, I don't think he has ever talked in those older games except for Super Mario RPG.

However, the fact that he is actually a lot more in recent games makes him look more comedic and less evil than his earlier outings when he didn't talk except roar and stomped on your head. Don't get me wrong, I thought he was great in Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, but perhaps now it's going a tad too far. At this rate, Bowser's going to known as as simply a funny villain and not a funny/evil villain. Nobody's going to take him seriously anymore if he loses his evilness.Well, nobody except me, being a giant Bowser fan and all...

Or maybe I'm just being stupid.

vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:56 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 11:56 AM #44 of 279
No You're not being stupid. Bowser is becoming more of a joke then a villain. He might make a comeback in this game.

Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:07 PM #45 of 279
Well, yay, someone agrees with me.

Speaking of the Koopalings, I came across this great fanart of the brood. It's nice to know they have a fanbase:

How ya doing, buddy?
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:08 PM #46 of 279
I haven't been too much into the scene, but I'm pretty sure that the Paper Mario games are AU, and not canon at all. Not sure on the Mario & Luigi games, though.

WraithTwo
screw attack

Member 239

Level 16.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 03:17 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 02:17 PM #47 of 279
Yeah I'm pretty sure that the "funny" Bowser started back with Super Mario RPG, and since then, I don't think I'd have Bowser any other way. Honestly, Super Mario should NEVER take itself too seriously.

Anyways, the addition of the Koopalings made my day. I SOOOOO didn't see it coming, and now that its confirmed, this has gone from a "probably buy" to a "will buy".

- WraithTwo -

FELIPE NO
Nintendonomicon
Mama's boy

Member 1640

Level 16.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 08:45 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 06:45 PM #48 of 279
From Games Are Fun:
Quote:
Also in the interview, Miyamoto revealed that all of the minigames found in Super Mario 64 DS will be included in New Super Mario Bros., which is certainly a nice surprise. 2-player and 4-player single-cart multiplayer modes have also been added to some of the minigames.

New SMB will have a similar structure to Super Mario Bros. 3 with worlds, levels, fortresses, and bosses, according to Miyamoto. He also hinted that Nintendo is including old "tricks and tweaks" such as warp pipes and walking along the top of the screen in the game.

Regarding New Super Mario Bros.' story: "I told them that we really don’t need any story behind this new Super Mario Bros. at all. I have narrowed down the whole story to about half of what my team originally came up with. Peach is kidnapped, Mario has to go and rescue her from Bowser and the Koopa Kids. That’s about all you need to know for the story!"

Regarding New SMB: "Well, there will be many people who play New Super Mario Bros. that have never played a Mario Bros. game before. But at the same time we want to evoke a kind of nostalgic feeling in those people who used to play with the past series, so we are now trying to incorporate as many old tricks and tweaks as possible into this new DS version."
God, man... this is gonna be better than finding a cure for AIDS.

Return to Crystal Lake...

My Wii Friend Code 1942-4227-2974-0276
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 09:05 PM #49 of 279
Those two quotes "regarding New Super Mario Bros" are directly from the interview in paris www.nintendo-europe.com had with Shigeru Miyamoto. The interview was split in two parts entailing NSMB and Twilight Princess. Here is the NSMB part:

Originally Posted by www.nintendo-europe.com interview
- So what about his latest project, New Super Mario Bros.? Why did he decide to bring back Mario in the classic side-scrolling style?

“We are always challenging ourselves to make something really new and this new Super Mario Bros. game is going to be very important. Nintendo DS has been hugely successful, especially in Japan, and we owe a big part of the success to a software line-up called ‘Touch Generations’. People who have never played videogames before are purchasing Nintendo DS as their very first game machine.

“When we launch New Super Mario Bros. for DS this could be the very first videogame these people play. Of course we already have Super Mario 64 DS but it is a more advanced version of Mario. With New Super Mario Bros. we are going back to the basics. It’s going to be simple enough to control but yet have sophisticated enough content. We have been working hard to make the best Super Mario game we can.”

- We’re intrigued. Can he reveal what the game’s story will be, for instance?

“That’s rather interesting because a number of our staff members came up with a number of different stories,” says Miyamoto, smiling. “I told them that we really don’t need any story behind this new Super Mario Bros. at all. I have narrowed down the whole story to about half of what my team originally came up with. Peach is kidnapped, Mario has to go and rescue her from Bowser and the Koopa Kids. That’s about all you need to know for the story!” he laughs. “But what you really need to know is that in the quest you are going to encounter some unprecedented play ideas.”

- 'Can you give us some examples of these ideas?' we ask.

“Well, we have drawn everything from 3D graphics,” explains Miyamoto “so that from time to time you are going to encounter something really astonishing visually but as far as the gameplay and control is concerned, that is going to be very simple.

“When it comes to Mario, sometimes you may be able to do an ultra super jump and you are going to see a very unique and unprecedented jumping style. In terms of Super Mario, everybody already expects him to become bigger but this time, with the help of a Super Giant Mushroom, Super Mario can become gigantic, taking up almost all the screen, and he can destroy everything.”

- ‘And Mario can also become very small, by using another type of mushroom, right?’ we add.

“Right,” says Miyamoto “and that’s not all. For example, two players can play as Mario and Luigi at the same time, in the multiplayer mode. Sometimes you have to compete with each other to reach the goal, and sometimes they can fight against each other. You remember the game Mario Bros.? In that, Mario and Luigi could sometimes cooperate, sometimes compete. I think it’s more fun to have two players play simultaneously in this New Super Mario Bros.

“And you remember in Super Mario 64 DS we incorporated a number of minigames? Each of these minigames is going to be available in New Super Mario Bros. In each minigame both Mario and Luigi can compete against each other. Some you can play in two-player or four-player mode with one cartridge.”

- Sounds great! But hang on, didn’t Miyamoto mention Koopa Kids a second ago? We haven’t heard from them in a while. We inquire if the new game has the same kind of ‘Level, World, Fortress, Boss’ structure as in Super Mario Bros. 3.

“Unfortunately I am not in a position to tell you anything further, sorry, but basically yes you are right!” says Miyamoto, chuckling.

- OK, consider our appetites whetted! So New Mario Bros. is a classic style game, therefore, we want to know, are there going to be classic style cheats, like warp pipes and the old ‘walking along the top of the screen’ trick?

“Well, there will be many people who play New Super Mario Bros. that have never played a Mario Bros. game before," he tells us. "But at the same time we want to evoke a kind of nostalgic feeling in those people who used to play with the past series, so we are now trying to incorporate as many old tricks and tweaks as possible into this new DS version.”

NovaX
๏o๏o๏o๏

Member 603

Level 25.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 09:15 PM Local time: Mar 16, 2006, 12:45 PM #50 of 279
If you have seen the artwork for this game you will note that there is one of Bowser Jr. I wonder how they are going include Bowser Jr. and the Koopa kids into the game.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > New Super Mario Bros.