Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Britain's new internet law. Fanflippingtastic.

Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:19 PM Local time: Nov 23, 2009, 04:19 AM #51 of 88
I could bum libraries 'til the sun went down. But it's a sad fact that education has melded assignments into online activities. People take these courses with a view of getting something more out of life than their low-wage jobs, only to discover they need the internet to do such a thing. I'm on a course with people who aren't as fortunate as to have savings, such as I do, who find that parts of their coursework involve tasks that are specifically based on educational websites.

Most amazing jew boots
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:20 PM Local time: Nov 23, 2009, 04:20 AM #52 of 88
Originally Posted by LeHah
2.) If you're struggling to make ends meet because you payed amount X to get into college Y, maybe you shouldn't be in college and should be out working instead?

Originally Posted by LeHah
I mean, thats kinda DUH to me but I have a couple years on you.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:22 PM #53 of 88
But it's a sad fact that education has melded assignments into online activities.
That is sad - but not nearly as sad that you think you can't do those assignments by using a library, your friend's PC or any other number of things. God, how many places have free Wifi hotspots now?

People with limited cash are on these courses so they can get better paid jobs. See where I'm going with this?
Yes I do. And its silly. The concept that you are hurting for cash somehow gives you some kind of inalienable right to mass media access? In your country? Don't they still tax televisions and stuff? Maybe you shouldn't be in school if you can't fucking afford it in the first place.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Bernard Black

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:35 PM Local time: Nov 23, 2009, 04:35 AM #54 of 88
Aye, your first point is valid.

Your second, however... how is someone who isn't born of rich parents meant to pay for software that is vital to the course? I could mention a huge amount of music software that costs £300 a piece for some courses, but you get my point. Yes they still tax television. But your post makes you seem to assume that everyone *has* a television. Are you saying that education is only for the rich?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Starf**kers Inc
Dick him dan. Dick him for SATAN

Member 31899

Level 3.09

Oct 2008

Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:37 PM Local time: Nov 23, 2009, 05:37 AM 1 #55 of 88
Perhaps the problem here is that people see the internet differently.
which is fair enough, the internet is a completely different entity, that's the simple appeal of it.

however where some people might watch youtube, blog and go on forums (THAT'S US! SEE WHAT I DID THERE???!) millions depend on it to make a living.

so naturally questioning it's nessescity (excuse the spelling) is a lost cause?

Additional Spam:
*necessity

there we go!

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Starf**kers Inc; Nov 22, 2009 at 11:38 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Starf**kers Inc

Member 31899

Level 3.09

Oct 2008

Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:49 PM Local time: Nov 23, 2009, 05:49 AM #56 of 88
but back to the education/rich thing,
I have to agree with Bernard on this,
I do a media course where the university supply so much, rooms full of macs pumped full of video editing software, tv studios, radio/recording studios.

But still, i see people everyday who's parents decided to buy them several thousand pounds worth of equipment getting better marks purely because they've had so much more time working at home on projects.

Really the Student loans company should take equipment like that into consideration when dishing out the loans...

honestly though?

I blame the ******** <--- insert minority here

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:49 PM 1 #57 of 88
Your second, however... how is someone who isn't born of rich parents meant to pay for software that is vital to the course?
I like how you're all "I hate this law against filesharing because I want people to be able to break the law and steal" and then you complain about feeling robbed over the price of music software.

Are you saying that education is only for the rich?
Yes, thats exactly what I mean. What do you do, go down to the grocery store and buy £12000 worth of food and then say "Sorry I only have £10" and walk off thinking you paid your debt?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
VitaminZinc
Bad and Evil

Member 57

Level 18.74

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:50 PM #58 of 88

what is this I don't even...
I totally would.

Cause, it's making a copy. The original still exists. It's all good.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:59 PM #59 of 88
Thats the best post of this thread, Devo

Most amazing jew boots
Bernard Black

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:04 AM Local time: Nov 23, 2009, 05:04 AM #60 of 88
Lehah: My disagreement with the law that has been passed goes beyond education. But in relation to your post, take Starf**kers's post into account. There is bias towards people who can afford better equipment, and no kind of monetary aid to those who don't have that option. It's a skewed system, and they don't expect people to take advantage of file sharing because of it?

So people who are poor should stay poor because they can't afford something better? Yeah, I'm warming to you Lehah, really warming to you. How else are people meant to better themselves, move further in society, other than through education? It's the only feasible way to get a decent job these days. Those are some great first-world ethics you've got.

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:13 AM #61 of 88
...There is bias towards people who can afford better equipment, and no kind of monetary aid to those who don't have that option.
Oh good, you're Nikita Khrushchev now. Let me know when your Berlin Wall falls, girl.

How else are people meant to better themselves, move further in society, other than through education? It's the only feasible way to get a decent job these days. Those are some great first-world ethics you've got.
Wow. How old are you again? FURTHER SOCIETY? Is this an episode of Star Trek? Are you written by Ted Sturgeon?

I mean, the naivety is fucking glowing here. I honestly think we've come to a true and blue impasse based on your lack of real-world experience.

Starf**kers Inc

Member 31899

Level 3.09

Oct 2008

Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:20 AM Local time: Nov 23, 2009, 06:20 AM 2 #62 of 88
Oh good, you're Nikita Khrushchev now. Let me know when your Berlin Wall falls, girl.
wowwwww... someone did GCSE history...

free education ftw...

How ya doing, buddy?
Bernard Black

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:21 AM Local time: Nov 23, 2009, 05:21 AM #63 of 88
It's an undeniable fact over here. To hell with your accusations of my lack of real world experience; it's through my real world experiences I've come to this conclusion. I wouldn't be so pig-headed as to wave such opinions around without the aforementioned to back it up.

Yes, I've known people who have been in industries which allow them to move on to better and greater things without formal education. But there are certain jobs that don't allow for such proclivities. Education is the only way up in those circumstances, and there are too many variables in such a situation to make education a feasible financial option for everyone.

FELIPE NO
Starf**kers Inc

Member 31899

Level 3.09

Oct 2008

Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:31 AM Local time: Nov 23, 2009, 06:31 AM 1 3 #64 of 88
Arrow

Dear Devo:

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Nov 23, 2009, 02:23 AM Local time: Nov 23, 2009, 12:23 AM 6 #65 of 88
So did I miss the memo stating when GFF became 4chan? Because I'd like a copy now if I could get one.

Grail
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 2483

Level 21.21

Mar 2006

Old Nov 23, 2009, 05:10 AM Local time: Nov 23, 2009, 05:10 AM #66 of 88
To be fair, despite the fact I've been laughing my ass off between the arguments and kitties, what I got from this whole deal is the fact that for no reason other than the 'suspicion' that you pirated something whether it's movies, games or music you are the scum of the universe with this new law.

That's fine and dandy. Pirating = stealing = bad sort of mentality. I get that, I got a letter from Paramount a month back saying that I was the second coming of Hitler because I watched Monsters Vs. Aliens because I was bored off my gourd.

I like to think, however, the heart of the matter lies within the direction it seems this new 'law' seems to be going over across the lake so to speak. Essentially this is all about copyright infringement, if you do not own it, then you can not have it in any format at all. That in itself makes sense...but I think people are afraid of how FAR this will go, like a butterfly effect.

Essentially right now it's you get a hell of a punishment for the assumption or suspicion you downloaded music/software/movies a company owns. Five years, ten years, fifty years down the line who knows then, maybe you could end up being sued because you do not have the right to have an avatar of a popular video game on your forum profile, or you are allowed to use a picture of the beloved Dr. Cox because, quite frankly, you do not own the rights to use those images.

Crazy impossible scenario I know, but 20 years back people never would have imagined you could 'steal' right from the comfort of your own home.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Nov 23, 2009, 05:10 AM Local time: Nov 23, 2009, 04:10 AM #67 of 88
So did I miss the memo stating when GFF became 4chan? Because I'd like a copy now if I could get one.
Yes, it was issued 4 and a half years ago.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Nov 23, 2009, 05:16 AM Local time: Nov 23, 2009, 03:16 AM #68 of 88
So are there any fucking copies or not? Christ.

VitaminZinc
Bad and Evil

Member 57

Level 18.74

Mar 2006

Old Nov 23, 2009, 06:37 AM 1 #69 of 88
No, because copies are illegal now.

(as they always have been in a technical sense, blah blah, etc.)

wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Nov 23, 2009, 06:53 PM 1 #70 of 88
YouTube Video

Wvlf is cheap.

Most amazing jew boots
It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 25, 2009, 08:33 AM Local time: Nov 25, 2009, 02:33 PM 1 #71 of 88
Whilst the new powers in this bill are hilariously draconian, I think you're all forgetting how completely incompetent our police and wider legal system are. This is essentially a lot of noice and the chances of anyone ever actually getting charged with anything through this are incredibly fucking slim. Also, it won't get passed into law before the election and with any luck, the Tories will drop all the Big Brother stuff once they're in charge. If we end up with a hung parliament and the LibDems in a position of even partial power, this'll never get through.

Anyway, the stuff about a new ratings system is pretty good news. Currently, most games are sent voluntarily to the BBFC for rating and selling an 18 rated game to a minor is as much of an offence as selling them an 18 rated DVD. Because the current system is voluntary however, there are still grounds for idiots to try and ban games and game content. By introducing a compulsary system (That'll be indistinguishable from the BBFC ratings as I understand, not the US ones you get on game boxes at present), there will be no more games getting banned, as they'll get slapped with an 18 rating and released.

Contrary to popular opinion, almost nothing gets banned in films over here these days. You've got to go a long way out of your way to even get a film an 18 rating under current guidelines so by formalising a ratings system, we're guaranteed no more calls for bans and no cut content.

I very rarely download shit anyway, it's a long way down the list of illegal things I do with any sort of regularity so I don't really have a problem with this bill as it stands.

FELIPE NO
spagnutty
Wark!

Member 6587

Level 2.86

May 2006

Old Nov 26, 2009, 12:47 PM 1 #72 of 88
Truly appalling. Go go Gitmo Nation East.

Most amazing jew boots
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Nov 26, 2009, 01:03 PM Local time: Nov 26, 2009, 06:03 PM #73 of 88
Originally Posted by Shin
nyway, the stuff about a new ratings system is pretty good news. Currently, most games are sent voluntarily to the BBFC for rating and selling an 18 rated game to a minor is as much of an offence as selling them an 18 rated DVD. Because the current system is voluntary however, there are still grounds for idiots to try and ban games and game content. By introducing a compulsary system (That'll be indistinguishable from the BBFC ratings as I understand, not the US ones you get on game boxes at present), there will be no more games getting banned, as they'll get slapped with an 18 rating and released.

Contrary to popular opinion, almost nothing gets banned in films over here these days. You've got to go a long way out of your way to even get a film an 18 rating under current guidelines so by formalising a ratings system, we're guaranteed no more calls for bans and no cut content.
Great points. I couldn't agree more with the introduction of a new rating system. The whole "video nasties" debacle took place before I was even conceived, but it still makes me fume thinking about it. That the exact same scapegoating is going on today with videogames is slightly unsettling, but nowadays we see far more brutal shit get released into cinemas nationwide than the handful of horror flicks that struggled to get VHS releases in the eighties. Given that people got the fuck over it and/or came to accept that gore flicks were somewhere between works of art and harmless fun, I reckon it's safe to assume that violent games will become a complete non-issue with politicians in a couple of years.

Might be a bit of a pipe dream, but I'd like to think an entirely new NGO dedicated to game classification wouldn't go amiss in changing attitudes and dispelling misconceptions.

Metroid
Monster

Member 34638

Level 1.10

Oct 2009

Old Nov 26, 2009, 05:20 PM Local time: Nov 26, 2009, 11:20 PM 2 #74 of 88
We are doomed, gentle men or women we need to get the most before the act comes to our reality.

How ya doing, buddy?
Rex Grossman II
Sex Cannon

Member 34923

Level 2.50

Dec 2009

Old Dec 7, 2009, 04:54 PM Local time: Dec 8, 2009, 06:54 AM #75 of 88
So, are there any "victims" so far of this 3 strikes rule? I mean I've always heard of these brickshitting internet law enforcement policies being introduced here and there in many countries that are so incredibly vague yet cumbersome - but regardling this particular one, has anyone actually fallen victim to it yet?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Britain's new internet law. Fanflippingtastic.