Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 125 Voting/WEEK 126 Nominating

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2008, 08:50 PM #1 of 44
Song of the Week - WEEK 125 Voting/WEEK 126 Nominating

Song of the Week. 100 Weeks and counting.
Week 125 Voting is closed.
Week 126 Nominating is restricted

Join us in celebrating WEEK 125 by voting, nominating, and otherwise posting!

Results
1). [26] Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 3 Original Soundtracks - Phantom of Blue
2). [25] History Repeats Itself Abandoner Lostchild coupling soundtrack - Abandoner - Abandoner Main Title
3). [22] Within a Deep Forest (Game Rip) - Scales of Zordium
4). [15] CAL ~ The Eternal Beautiful Girls - The Continent of Time
5). [13] R-Type Leo (Game Rip) - PARADISE PLANET (AREA1)
6). [12] Doki Doki Majo Shinpan! ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK - Forget not Tomorrow (Akuji Nishimura's Theme)
7). [11] Wizardry ~Dimguil~ Original Sound Track - Theme of Wizardry
8). [8] Synaesthete OST - Tryptonaut

Tracks
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: CAL ~ The Eternal Beautiful Girls - The Continent of Time
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Doki Doki Majo Shinpan! ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK - Forget not Tomorrow (Akuji Nishimura's Theme)
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: History Repeats Itself Abandoner Lostchild coupling soundtrack - Abandoner - Abandoner Main Title
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: R-Type Leo (Game Rip) - PARADISE PLANET (AREA1)
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Synaesthete OST - Tryptonaut
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 3 Original Soundtracks - Phantom of Blue
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Within a Deep Forest (Game Rip) - Scales of Zordium
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Wizardry ~Dimguil~ Original Sound Track - Theme of Wizardry

Notes:
If you are a member at more than one of the forums in which this event is being held, please nominate and vote in only ONE of the forums. You may, however, comment in the threads at any of the other forums.

Week 126 Nominating
The Nominations Queue can be found here.
The rules for nominating can be found here.

Here is the link to the corresponding thread in the other forum:
- Soundtrack Central

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by orion_mk3; Mar 31, 2008 at 12:38 AM.
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2008, 09:10 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2008, 08:10 PM #2 of 44
So both of my noms were disqualified? :'(

There's nowhere I can't reach.

"Castitatis" (Elfen Lied - Lilium ~opening version~)
The Doujin Music Thread | backloggery
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2008, 09:21 PM #3 of 44
I thought we had just postponed them pending discussion. But best ask CHz, as he's the Master of the Queue™.

Most amazing jew boots
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2008, 12:34 AM Local time: Mar 24, 2008, 11:34 PM #4 of 44
Ah, I guess I can wait if that's the case.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2008, 03:23 AM Local time: Mar 25, 2008, 01:23 AM #5 of 44
There's a lot of crap that needs to be taken care of, mostly from the last thread:

1). Just a reminder that there's a qualification vote on "Tallon Overworld" from Metroid Prime that'll close on Friday. Go weigh in.

2). I also made a thread specifically for waiting period discussion. This is not about Rotorblade's nomination, but specifically to finally define what the waiting period is.

3). Rotorblade's nomination. I'm hesitant to do anything about it while we haven't even figured out the waiting period business, but who knows how long that will take to resolve. Also, part of the discussion was whether or not any waiting period at all should apply to it, based on its circumstances. What do you think: poll to determine whether or not it's good to go now, regardless of whatever we decide for a waiting period? I think I'm just going to do it unless no one wants to see one, because there was some pretty good discussion on the subject.

4). Dhsu's nominations (orion is correct: the delay was just for further discussion). His first one is from Sonic CD, and the alternate is from Sonic Advance. No one besides Dhsu actually said they were in favor of the Sonic CD track, instead going with some no's and indifferent's. Does anyone actually approve of that one? No one weighed in on Sonic Advance besides myself, and I'm okay with it.

He also had this big list of potentially questionable nominations:
Grandia II
Grandia Xtreme
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Parodius series
Radiant Silvergun
Shenmue
Shenmue II
Shining Force
WarCraft II
To which I would vote no, yes, no (pretty close), yes (pretty close), yes, no, no, no, no, and yes (never played it nor heard the music, but I can easily see this going the other way).

5). Elorin asked about the eligibility of Rockman EXE 5DS & 6 Complete Music Encyclopedia, which contains tracks from Mega Man Battle Network 5 and 6 for the Nintendo DS. I'm perfectly fine with this.

6). Kaleb nominated something from Sonic and the Secret Rings. I'm also okay this this.

7). Nomination from Dragon God:
  • Artist(s): Ayumi Yasui, Hiroshi Iimuro
  • Composer(s): Takayuki Aihara
  • Album/Game Title: Street Fighter EX -Arrange Sound Trax-
  • Track Title: Amusementive Crime
  • Disc Number: 1 (of 1)
  • Track Number: 6
  • Catalog Number: PCCB-00251
  • Year: 1997
  • Source(s): PCCB-00251: Street Fighter EX -Arrange Sound Trax- - VGMdb

How ya doing, buddy?
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Djinova
Why didn't he just...

Member 2441

Level 23.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2008, 06:30 AM #6 of 44
Grandia II - no, since I remember having seen quite a few nominations for the BSC and Best Battle Contest (BBC)
Grandia Xtreme - borderline no, because BBC, then again I know next to nothing about "Grandia", so maybe while bearing the same name it's on a totally different popularity level,
Panzer Dragoon - borderline no, Flight (or was it II) is one of my favourites, otherwise I don't have the soundtrack, also BSC
Panzer Dragoon Zwei - borderline no, same as above
Parodius series - yes, shmups are never too popular
Radiant Silvergun - yes, shmups are never too popular
Shenmue - borderline no, personally I think I know what the music is about and a few tracks already appeared in the BSC and here too, like Snowy Scenery and Sedge Tree
Shenmue II - borderline no, same sentiment as above
Shining Force - yes, I can't relate to the music in any form
WarCraft II - borderline no, I played it too much

So the only one I really object to is Grandia II, all "borderline no" I'd personally not like to see, but wouldn't mind if it gets approved either.

I'm really sorry, but it's often lack of knowledge that I fear and don't like to participate in the weekly eligibility discussion for borderline tracks. I just want to listen to some music and give points to them and can imagine a lot of people taking part in SoTW feels the same way, maybe for the same reason.
Hence I think we need some sort of dictator on this when the majority doesn't feel like deciding. You don't have to ask 2 times before making a poll. A poll is always good, people can just vote yes or no and don't have to give reasons. It also avoids people analysing and taking out the reasons, discussing those reasons, which is really stupid, because you can't discuss personal reasons.
The most recent example was the discussion on ZTS' eligibility. Hardly anyone said anything in the voting/nomination thread. Only when a poll was made, things got cleared up relatively fast, and in the end it was the votes that decided it and not the reasons given.
Yes, reasons are good, but with something that subjective you can't really argue. Even the reasons I gave above, I can counter easily like "how many nominations in the BSC are too much for SoTW?" or some others.

In short: MORE POLLS AND LESS DISCUSSIONS

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2008, 07:40 AM Local time: Mar 25, 2008, 02:40 PM #7 of 44
Phew, that's a lot of unfinished business...
No one weighed in on Sonic Advance besides myself, and I'm okay with it.
I'm okay with it too, Sonic Advance isn't ultra-obscure, but it's definitely not a classic either. Also, it has kick ass music so needs to be promoted.

As for those games, here's what I think:
Grandia II: no
Grandia Xtreme: yes (close, but I think this is sort of obscure)
Panzer Dragoon: no (close one, could go either way really)
Panzer Dragoon Zwei: yes (same as above, but I think this one is just slightly less heard of.
Parodius series: yes
Radiant Silvergun: no (this has to be one of Sakimoto's best/most praised works)
Shenmue: no
Shenmue II: no
Shining Force: I... don't know this game at all. I feel kinda stupid now. Abstain.
WarCraft II: yes

FELIPE NO
ikkei
Good Chocobo

Member 371

Level 18.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2008, 07:49 AM Local time: Mar 25, 2008, 01:49 PM #8 of 44
IMO:

Grandia II ~ nope
Grandia Xtreme ~ yes
Panzer Dragoon ~ Dpending on the track
Panzer Dragoon Zwei ~ yes
Parodius series ~ yes
Radiant Silvergun ~ Depending on the track
Shenmue ~ hmm, no
Shenmue II ~ yes
Shining Force ~ SFII was nominated before, so yes
WarCraft II ~ Starcraft was nominated before, so yes

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
punkmaggit
Oh! I Feel it! I feel the Cosmos!

Member 4088

Level 9.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2008, 09:50 AM Local time: Mar 25, 2008, 06:50 AM #9 of 44
Well...

Grandia II: no
Grandia Xtreme: no
Panzer Dragoon: yes
Panzer Dragoon Zwei: yes
Parodius series: yes
Radiant Silvergun: no
Shenmue: no
Shenmue II: no
Shining Force: yes
WarCraft II: no

WarCraft is a no for the same reasons Metroid Prime is a "no".

What's all this?
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:29 AM #10 of 44
Everyone really took that Week 125 call to post seriously Don't forget to vote!

Anyway:
Grandia II - People really seem to love this one, so probably not.
Grandia Xtreme - Is it a sequel to the above?
Panzer Dragoon - Allow it.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei - Allow it, but require an explanation of what "zwei" means.
Parodius series - Whatius series? Allow it.
Radiant Silvergun - Why not?
Shenmue - Eh, this one's pretty popular. I'd say no.
Shenmue II - They made a II? I guess it should follow its sibling.
Shining Force - Don't care.
WarCraft II - Probably not.

How ya doing, buddy?
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2008, 02:14 PM Local time: Mar 25, 2008, 09:14 PM #11 of 44
Oh yes, a katamarivoting.

I suppose after such a strong week, it's likely that the next week is a bit disappointing by comparison. Let's see here...

The Continent of Time is a nice, mild gamepop track. It's a little messy at times, but it's got some good bits and sounds pretty solid.

Forget Not Tomorrow is really messy, and I don't particularly care for that progression. The mix sounds pretty rough as well...

Abandoner Main Title has a really good sound to it. It seems like it wasn't fully thought out to me but it's a pretty solid track anyway.

Tryptonaut reminds me a bit of Daft Punk - Aerodynamic, which is fine I guess. Not too bad, nothing I'd want to listen to especially, but not too bad.

Phantom of Blue is trance, which is not my favorite genre, and this really misses the mark for me. It's just TOO cliché for me. Nice production though, I gotta give 'em that much.

Scales of Zordium is by D-fast, who is my buddy and a superb composer. Sadly, this isn't his best work by any means, his jazzy up- and midtempo stuff is a lot more engaging, but I still like it quite a bit, sweet synth leads and all.

Theme of Wizardry... Not what I had expected... I guess it's good if you're into that sort of thing? But I'm out of points and I don't care enough for this to give it one.

2 point - CAL ~ The Eternal Beautiful Girls - The Continent of Time
2 point - Within a Deep Forest (Game Rip) - Scales of Zordium

1 point - History Repeats Itself Abandoner Lostchild coupling soundtrack - Abandoner - Abandoner Main Title
1 point - Synaesthete OST - Tryptonaut

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Mar 25, 2008, 03:56 PM #12 of 44
Out of that list of games, I'd say no to Grandia 2, and maybe to Shining Force. Everything else I'm pretty unfamiliar with and would be fine.

Oh, and a nomination.

Artist: Hiroshi Fujioka
Album: Growlanser Generations Soundtrack
Track Number: 5
Track Title: Wandering
Catalog Number: SLUS-20758P~9P
Year: 2004
Source: SLUS-20758P~9P: Growlanser Generations Soundtrack - VGMdb

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Mar 26, 2008, 10:48 AM Local time: Mar 26, 2008, 07:48 AM #13 of 44
3. At this point I say go ahead and let Rotorblade nominate "The Glacial Fortress". We've got the ball rolling on the waiting period issue now, so it's not going to hurt to have one track that possibly shirks this future rule.

But as for new nominations, I suggest imposing a 3 month rule until we have come to a consensus as to how long we actually should wait, if any time at all.

4. I'd like Dhsu to consider using the Sonic Advance nomination in place of the Sonic CD nomination. I believe most of us have heard the Sonic CD soundtracks (Japanese and American), but I can't say the same for Sonic Advance, and I'd like to check it out.

Also:
Grandia II NO
Grandia Xtreme YES
Panzer Dragoon IDK
Panzer Dragoon Zwei IDK
Parodius series YES
Radiant Silvergun NO
Shenmue NO
Shenmue II NO
Shining Force YES
WarCraft II YES

5. Rockman.EXE music is fine with me.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:09 AM Local time: Mar 26, 2008, 10:09 AM #14 of 44
Panzer Dragoon Zwei - Allow it, but require an explanation of what "zwei" means.
"Zwei" is German for "two."

Looks like there's a general "no" consensus on Grandia II, Radiant Silvergun, and Shenmue 1/2. Panzer Dragoon, Shining Force, and WarCraft II seem a bit iffy, so I'll try to stay away from those too.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I'll change my nom to Sonic Advance, but I'm sort of waffling on the actual track now. There's definitely a few gems in this OST to choose from.

THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:56 AM Local time: Mar 26, 2008, 09:56 AM #15 of 44
4). Just wanted to post totals on THE LIST to date:

Grandia II: 8N
Grandia Xtreme: 5Y/2N/1A
Panzer Dragoon: 3Y/1 depending on the track/3N/1A
Panzer Dragoon Zwei: 6Y/1N/1A
Parodius series: 8Y
Radiant Silvergun: 3Y/1 depending on the track/4N
Shenmue: 1Y/7N
Shenmue II: 2Y/6N
Shining Force: 4Y/1 maybe/1N/2A
WarCraft II: 5Y/3N

There isn't really a consensus on Radiant Silvergun (although how can you Y voters actually be serious ), and Shining Force is actually seeming possible at this point.

5/6). Just gonna say on these for the time being.

8). Herrkotowski posted an interesting question at STC that I'm going to paste here so everyone can see it:

Originally Posted by Herrkotowski
According to the rules, no film/anime/TV music is allowed. However, original/concept albums by VGM composers are allowed. From what I've researched online, the concept album Schell Bullet by Tenpei Sato is an image album created for the Schell Bullet manga. As far as I know, it was never turned into an anime. Would something like this be a valid and legal nomination?
I'm still looking up information on this CD, but so far it seems like everything he said is correct: it's a concept album inspired by a manga that was never turned into an anime or movie or anything like that.

I'm honestly not sure what to think at this point. The idea sounds kind of iffy, but the album isn't actually cued to anything (unless you're supposed hit play at certain key moments and read along at the same tempo as the music), and it's not like it's based on the score of the anime or anything, because that doesn't exist. Thoughts?

FELIPE NO
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:50 PM #16 of 44
I still need some time to digest this week's selection, so I'll vote later. Here's my opinion on the questions:

4).

Grandia II N
Grandia Xtreme Y
Panzer Dragoon Y
Panzer Dragoon Zwei Y
Parodius series Y
Radiant Silvergun N
Shenmue N
Shenmue II Y
Shining Force Y
WarCraft II Y

8).

Tenpei Sato is VGM enough for this music to be eligible in my opinion.

The only concern I have is that I hope nominating Sato material won't become a tradition. This goes for any other composer as well; if there is a relatively long interval between each song nomination, it's perfectly fine, but if done in burst, it kind of lacks originality and creates an overexposure from my point of view. Herrkotowski might be asking in advance, so I'm not jumping on any conclusion. It goes with what I mentioned earlier: there's more than one album/game/series, and now, artist.

How ya doing, buddy?
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2008, 02:25 PM Local time: Mar 26, 2008, 09:25 PM #17 of 44
it's a concept album inspired by a manga that was never turned into an anime or movie or anything like that.
To me, this kinda feels like shuffling something in sideways that doesn't really fit into the SotW concept. I mean, it's one thing to nominate a song on a game composer's website that's meant for promotion of his game endeavors (such as Huelsbeck's recent battle winner), or even an album with some clear link to his identity as a game music composer, but it's another thing entirely when the production in question is about as far away from game music as possible. This to me falls in the latter category (along with, say, music from the alpha conspiracy, even though necros has done game music this is a CD that's clearly not in any way remotely linked to his game music work). I'm not sure if that's actually what this project is like, but that's the vibe I'm getting anyway.

So I don't particularly care for this idea. I know there's no formalistic rule that I can quote that says "no, you can't do this", but I don't like it conceptually, so to speak. It just doesn't really make sense to me to add that kind of stuff in. I mean, that's the reason anime and movie music isn't allowed in the first place, right?

PS. 8)

PPS. 5/6) Fine by me as well.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by surasshu; Mar 26, 2008 at 02:32 PM.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Mar 26, 2008, 03:36 PM #18 of 44
My feelings:

4)
Grandia II - NO
Grandia Xtreme - Reluctant YES
Panzer Dragoon - NO
Panzer Dragoon Zwei - YES
Parodius series - YES
Radiant Silvergun - HAHA NO
Shenmue - NO
Shenmue II - NO
Shining Force YES (But I'm the one who nominated the SFII arrangement, so I'm biased)
WarCraft II - YES

I'd say that any Sonic game from the Genesis/CD era is off-limits, excepting the totally quirky spin-offs. (Spinball, Mean Bean Machine, etc.) Sonic CD falls on the borderline of "too popular" for me. I'm personally sketchy with Sonic Advance tracks too; though they may be relatively unheard, the series is a flagship. But I pushed for the Rockman arrangement a bit ago, so I'd be a hypocrite if I put my foot down too firmly. So, for Sonic Advance tracks, I won't make a fuss if they're approved but let's not make them a habit, okay?

5) I'm fine with Rockman.EXE nominations.

6) Sonic and the Secret Rings is okay too, though again, let's not make Sonic/Rockman/Mario nominations a regular thing. If they happen too frequently, I'll be making some noise.

8) Though the circumstances are odd, I suppose this should count as a personal project. As long as it's unpublished in any other media, I'm okay with it. It's Tenpei Sato, not some demoscene weiner with a moronic nom de plume and only two quasi-professional credits under his belt - both assisting, naturally. When Sato is on, the man is mother-fucking-ON. I say we give it a chance.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Ceft
Shadow Master

Member 17770

Level 23.80

Jan 2007

Old Mar 26, 2008, 06:12 PM #19 of 44
(2 points) Within a Deep Forest (Game Rip) - Scales of Zordium
(2 points) Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 3 Original Soundtracks - Phantom of Blue
(1 point) CAL ~ The Eternal Beautiful Girls - The Continent of Time
(1 point) R-Type Leo (Game Rip) - PARADISE PLANET (AREA1)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Mar 27, 2008, 03:00 PM Local time: Mar 27, 2008, 10:00 PM #20 of 44
4).
Grandia II: N (even though I would've liked to nominate Nightmare Village Mirumu at some point.)
Grandia Xtreme: Y
Panzer Dragoon: N
Panzer Dragoon Zwei: Y
Parodius series: Y
Radiant Silvergun: N
Shenmue: N
Shenmue II: Y
Shining Force: Y
WarCraft II: Y (although I'm very familiar with the game and its music, I don't think most of the SotW participants are.)

8). I don't mind this, so long as it hasn't been produced for an anime or any other medium. But let's not make a habit out of nominating gray area stuff, like others have said, shall we?

And I liked the variety in this week's selection. Most of the picks were pretty good. Deciding on this point spread was not easy:

3 points: Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 3 Original Soundtracks - Phantom of Blue
1 point: Doki Doki Majo Shinpan! ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK - Forget not Tomorrow (Akuji Nishimura's Theme)
1 point: Synaesthete OST - Tryptonaut
1 point: Within a Deep Forest (Game Rip) - Scales of Zordium

Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2008, 07:20 PM #21 of 44
May as well post my thoughts on those games here in an easy-to-gauge format since I'm not sure if my post in the last SotW thread was included in CHz's tally:

Grandia II - No
Grandia Xtreme - OK
Panzer Dragoon - Borderline
Panzer Dragoon Zwei - Borderline
Parodius series - Sure
Radiant Silvergun - Definite no
Shenmue - Definite no
Shenmue II - Definite no
Shining Force - No
WarCraft II - No idea how popular its music is. If it was Warcraft III I'd probably say no based on the game's popularity, but I don't think as many people have played WC II (and thus heard its music).

I was speaking idiomatically.
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2008, 07:35 PM #22 of 44
Enough with all the eligibility issues, it's time to vote

CAL ~ The Eternal Beautiful Girls - The Continent of Time Bouncy fun, if not the most memorable track on the face of the earth.

Doki Doki Majo Shinpan! ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK - Forget not Tomorrow (Akuji Nishimura's Theme) Decent light alterna-rock. Not a whole lot else to it.

History Repeats Itself Abandoner Lostchild coupling soundtrack - Abandoner - Abandoner Main Title That's a doozy of a name right there. Very introspective, at times bordering on the emo. I like the atmosphere, but it quickly grew repetitive.

R-Type Leo (Game Rip) - PARADISE PLANET (AREA1) Has a nice enough sound, but needs more variation.

Synaesthete OST - Tryptonaut Some nice beats, but as with the last two song I didn't feel like there was enough going on.

Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 3 Original Soundtracks - Phantom of Blue Meh. Trance has never done a whole lot for me.

Within a Deep Forest (Game Rip) - Scales of Zordium Too low-key for its own good; didn't really make much of an impression.

Wizardry ~Dimguil~ Original Sound Track - Theme of Wizardry I wouldn't have expected this sort of mariachi-style stuff from something called "Wizardry," but it's okay as far as such things go.

Pretty limp week. Nothing was bad, just forgettable

The Point Spread
Wizardry - 3 pts.
CAL - 2 pts.
Doki Doki Whatever - 1 pt.

Nomination
Artist: Ritual Entertainment
Album: Heavy Metal FAKK2 (PC gamerip)
Track Number: n/a
Track Title: Eden Normal
Catalog Number: n/a
Year: 2001
Source: Ripped directly from the game files
Notes: Despite the name of the game, this is not a heavy metal song. In fact, there are no heavy metal songs in the game at all.

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:14 PM #23 of 44
CAL ~ The Eternal Beautiful Girls - The Continent of Time: It's okay, I suppose. The melody is serviceable, though the sound quality is somewhat compressed. Too bad the "guitar" solo is pretty awful. There's an old-school air to this one that I suspect will earn it some votes.

Doki Doki Majo Shinpan! ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK - Forget not Tomorrow (Akuji Nishimura's Theme): The guitar driven tone of this track is enjoyable, though the meedly-meedly bits are pretty self-indulgent. The background layers were too subdued and deserved to share the foreground, if only for the sake of breaking up the guitar and providing some better pacing. I like this one but I wasn't blown away.

History Repeats Itself Abandoner Lostchild coupling soundtrack - Abandoner - Abandoner Main Title: Though the intro strikes a very interesting mood, the rest of the track did little to elevate or deviate from this mood. As a slow composition, it works but it felt too drawn-out in several places and that detracted from its charm. I think it would've benefitted from a bit of aggression at times.

R-Type Leo (Game Rip) - PARADISE PLANET (AREA1): This track is merely alright. The slightly dreamy mood is good but there's a very monotonous quality to it as well. I would've chosen less of a drone for the backing synths. And the drumkit isn't inspired at all. Rather forgettable track. Sorry.

Synaesthete OST - Tryptonaut: Kind of trancey, kind of cool. Kind of. The down-tempo nature is nice and I found the bagpipes-esque synths rather intriguing. It's not the kind of track that knocks you out the first time but I do believe it's a grower. In a month or so, I'll probably think this track is awesome.

Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 3 Original Soundtracks - Phantom of Blue: Ah, Yuzo Kushiro, whose style of sound I associate with so many video arcades circa 1999. The rapid pace of Kushiro's dance music often causes it to lose any distinctive qualities it might possess, instead becoming a blur of beats and synth sweeps. It's not the most offensive Kushiro piece in this vein but it's still a bit overpowered. Kushiro has some much nicer tracks to offer.

Within a Deep Forest (Game Rip) - Scales of Zordium: A bit bland, honestly. "Soft" and "tranquil" do not necessarily translate into "memorable."

Wizardry ~Dimguil~ Original Sound Track - Theme of Wizardry: Despite the Spanish influences, I didn't find this one particularly enthralling. "Nice" is an apt word, but that's also a word I'd use to describe the garbled artwork of a six year-old who tried his best. I think what bothered me was that the styles were too inconsistent. Mariachi? Western? Traditional orchestral? I didn't know what it was trying to be, and being all of them wasn't working. I dunno, it left me feeling pretty so-so.

I agree, this was a mediocre week.

3 Points: Synaesthete OST - Tryptonaut
2 Points: Doki Doki Majo Shinpan! ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK - Forget not Tomorrow (Akuji Nishimura's Theme)
1 Point: History Repeats Itself Abandoner Lostchild coupling soundtrack - Abandoner - Abandoner Main Title

The last point was really just a toss-away to whichever track I think had the most potential for a quality remix.

FELIPE NO
Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:27 PM #24 of 44
While this week turned out better than I imagined on first-listenthrough, there's little to distinguish the top half of these tracks.

(2 points) Doki Doki Majo Shinpan! ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK - Forget not Tomorrow (Akuji Nishimura's Theme)
(1 point) Within a Deep Forest (Game Rip) - Scales of Zordium
(1 point) Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 3 Original Soundtracks - Phantom of Blue
(1 point) Synaesthete OST - Tryptonaut
(1 point) History Repeats Itself Abandoner Lostchild coupling soundtrack - Abandoner - Abandoner Main Title

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Djinova
Why didn't he just...

Member 2441

Level 23.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2008, 07:48 AM #25 of 44
Looks like another divergent week for me.
{3 Points} History Repeats Itself Abandoner Lostchild coupling soundtrack - Abandoner - Abandoner Main Title
{2 Points} R-Type Leo (Game Rip) - PARADISE PLANET (AREA1)
{1 Point} Within a Deep Forest (Game Rip) - Scales of Zordium

Nom.:
Title: Fall of Fall ~ Autumnal Waterfall
Artist: ZUN
Album: Touhou Fuujinroku ~ Mountain of Faith (Game Nip)
Track No.: 08
Year: 2007
DL (1 loop vers.): Send big files the easy way. Files too large for email attachments? No problem!

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 125 Voting/WEEK 126 Nominating