Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Cheap packing/shipping materials

Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Dec 5, 2007, 09:58 PM Local time: Dec 5, 2007, 06:58 PM #1 of 13
Cheap packing/shipping materials

The stuff at the post office costs too much. Two bucks for an envelope with bubble wrap in it? Give me a break.

Anyone have any good suggestions for cheap (or free) packing/shipping supplies? I would prefer it not to look totally haggard, but whatever gets the job done well is fine for me.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Maico
─ ─╘Don't rob me of my ─ ─ hate: It's all I have.

Member 4527

Level 17.53

Apr 2006

Old Dec 5, 2007, 10:01 PM Local time: Dec 5, 2007, 08:01 PM #2 of 13
I bought an assload of bubble wrap on eBay from one of those powersellers a long time ago for pretty cheap, though I probably should have bought packing peanuts instead, since bubble wrap is the suck. I still have it and haven't even used it but several times. Then there's always balled up newspaper, lol. As far as free shipping supplies go, you can get the free priority mail boxes from the post office and turn them inside out and hope they don't catch you.

What I want to know is where I can go to get presents gift-wrapped professionally, because I suck ass at wrapping presents and can never make the cuts perfect or tape it down tight enough without making it look like total ass. I wouldn't mind paying a couple bucks for nice shiny paper with a bow on it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Buizel
Sup?

Member 667

Level 21.47

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2007, 12:11 AM #3 of 13
Whenever I order stuff online I keep the packing peanuts from newegg.com and bubble wrap from play-asia.com / yesasia.com / cdjapan.com. XD
As far as free shipping supplies go, you can get the free priority mail boxes from the post office and turn them inside out and hope they don't catch you. ...
Yeah, you can do that but you should also wrap it with something like paper bag. I guess you might have a problem since you said you're terrible at wrapping presents.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2007, 03:40 AM Local time: Dec 6, 2007, 03:40 AM #4 of 13
Since I DJ at my college radio station, we receive a lot of promo cds in bubble mailers and stuff. Sometimes, some mailers come in with their postage still in tact (without stamps being used up). So we would reuse them. In fact, I think the USPS encourages reusing boxes and packaging to reduce waste.

Sam's club also has cheap stuff. Whatever you do, don't go to Office Max or Depot or something. And never buy directly from the post office. They all rip you off anyway. Also try ebay. A lot of mailer/packaging sellers there.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2007, 09:55 AM #5 of 13
If you work in an office with a shredder, that's a great source of packing materials. The only problem is that paper is heavier than bubble wrap.

I was speaking idiomatically.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Dec 6, 2007, 02:37 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2007, 12:37 PM #6 of 13
Crumpled up newspaper works pretty well as a packing material. I also shipped all of my textbooks across the country padding them with crumpled up pages of old notes that I didn't need anymore.

Also, not sure if they still do it, but there was a spot on the USPS webpage that let you order various packing materials for free and they'd be delivered to you so long as you promised to only use them for shipping via USPS.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Dec 6, 2007, 05:48 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2007, 02:48 PM #7 of 13
OK I'll use some of these methods and see what works out. Keeping packing materials from stuff I get in the mail is already something I do once in a while. The other times I just rip the packaging apart while opening incoming mail so it's not worth keeping. I'm at my company's distribution center today, so maybe I can get some free shit while I'm here...

FELIPE NO
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2007, 06:31 PM #8 of 13
I don't get a newspaper, so if I'm out of packing peanuts and shredded paper I wad up notebook paper. Of course, that doesn't look the best and it might scuff up something like a CD case.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Anazai
Chocobo

Member 24951

Level 11.42

Sep 2007

Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:19 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2007, 05:19 PM #9 of 13
They are SO cheap at Walmart, or K Mart. .79 cents for a CD size

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Ingemar
Carob Nut

Member 9372

Level 5.11

Jul 2006

Old Dec 7, 2007, 03:44 AM Local time: Dec 7, 2007, 09:44 AM #10 of 13
A peace of stiff cardboard or plastic in an envelope for CD's and DVD's works fine as well.
The idea is that it doesn't bend inside the envelope.

How ya doing, buddy?
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Dec 9, 2007, 04:02 AM #11 of 13
What I want to know is where I can go to get presents gift-wrapped professionally, because I suck ass at wrapping presents and can never make the cuts perfect or tape it down tight enough without making it look like total ass. I wouldn't mind paying a couple bucks for nice shiny paper with a bow on it.
Most malls have a little station near a customer service area where they can wrap your presents for a fee (which usually goes to charity or something local).

Here are some tips for wrapping presents though~ Yes, it's from Oprah. No, I don't care.

A nice tip I learned some years ago: wherever you have an edge of the wrapping paper (where you cut from or wherever), simply fold the edge in a little bit (maybe 1/2 inch) to get a nice, clean seam.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
SuperNova
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 830

Level 19.47

Mar 2006

Old Dec 9, 2007, 09:04 AM #12 of 13
Here are some tips for wrapping presents though~ Yes, it's from Oprah. No, I don't care.

A nice tip I learned some years ago: wherever you have an edge of the wrapping paper (where you cut from or wherever), simply fold the edge in a little bit (maybe 1/2 inch) to get a nice, clean seam.
Wow, I never pictured you as domestic. Can you make me a pie, too?!

Kaleb, honestly it might help if you told us what you were shipping. Different types of materials work best for different items.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

I have nothing clever to put here.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Dec 10, 2007, 02:38 AM Local time: Dec 9, 2007, 11:38 PM #13 of 13
Kaleb, honestly it might help if you told us what you were shipping. Different types of materials work best for different items.
That's true. Well in my case, I've lately been shipping video games and VGM soundtracks.

For my last two shipments I just used leftover bubble wrap from old incoming mail, plus some unused shelf liner paper that's been sitting in my closet. I cut and taped it all up with some crappy clear tape I found in the garage, and it formed a neat package. I topped it off with a printout of the address taped down on the package good.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Cheap packing/shipping materials