Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS2] ICO appreciation thread 2.0

Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Dec 25, 2006, 10:41 PM #76 of 99
the ICO language is made up. They created this language especially for this game and Shadow of the colossus use the same language.

I'm actually jealous of the PAL version because they had a lot of bonus with this game, like when you finish the game one time, the second time you play the game the speak of Yorda are translated, it's not much but still XD there's a new weapon too that is like a light saber and the box art is way better than the crappy US version and they had some beautiful postcard that came with it if I'm correct XD

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Aquas
Oh, Nall...

Member 4590

Level 13.98

Apr 2006

Old Dec 25, 2006, 11:47 PM Local time: Dec 25, 2006, 10:47 PM #77 of 99
Wha! that's an awesome bonus(es). US Version got the shaft there.

I was speaking idiomatically.
In your dreams, magical thoughts
All things are real, unless you dream they're not
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jan 4, 2007, 05:13 AM Local time: Jan 4, 2007, 01:13 PM #78 of 99
Yeah, subtitles for Yorda speech, four optional (and pointless but cool) effect filters, 2-player mode, light saber and the infamous watermelon ending are in the Japanese and PAL versions of the game.

The first print of the European version came in a sweet cardboard case (same as Shadow of the Colossus) with four (or two, if you were unlucky) artcards. The recent (cheap) rerelease came in the standard European plastic PS2 case and no artcards.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2007, 06:18 AM Local time: Jan 4, 2007, 01:18 PM #79 of 99
the ICO language is made up. They created this language especially for this game and Shadow of the colossus use the same language.
Actually, it's not a "real" language, just made up gibberish. Insofar as the Ico and Shadow of the Collosus languages appear similar, it's probably because the voice actors were given lines, but there's no consistent vocabulary or grammar.

What's interesting is that in the Ico the sound of the language is still very Japanese-ish, but in Shadow of the Collosus, it's much closer to Chinese. The voice actors took a lot more care to avoid "Japanese-isms" in SotC (although some can still be found).

Yes, I researched the language in Ico and SotC. I'm a dork.

Most amazing jew boots
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jan 4, 2007, 07:07 AM Local time: Jan 4, 2007, 03:07 PM #80 of 99
I suppose he meant the language is "made up" as in not real japanese like some people claim. I've read more than one "It's actually Japanese, just an old dialect, I recognize it" on message boards

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2007, 03:29 PM #81 of 99
well I meant that like you said, it's not a real language, it's was somewhat created for this game.

I really like the language they speak, there's something mysterious and ancient about it ^^

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2007, 04:32 PM Local time: Jan 5, 2007, 11:32 PM #82 of 99
I played it with a girl yesterday night and she got tears in her eyes and i got laid, so im raising this game to the level of EXTREME WIN.

no homo
Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2007, 05:02 PM Local time: Jan 5, 2007, 02:02 PM #83 of 99
Quote:
Yeah, subtitles for Yorda speech, four optional (and pointless but cool) effect filters, 2-player mode, light saber and the infamous watermelon ending are in the Japanese and PAL versions of the game.
I've owned this game for, oh, four years or so, and I've just recently started playing it with the intent of finishing it, so forgive my ignorance please. All this is news to me, and I am super jealous. Two player mode? Two player mode?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jan 5, 2007, 05:08 PM Local time: Jan 6, 2007, 01:08 AM #84 of 99
Yeah, second player controls Yorda. She can walk, run, jump, climb ledges (but not chains) and carry bombs. It would have been hilarious if she could drag Ico along and do the fighting.

The camera is still focused on Ico, but the second player can "snatch" the focus by holding a button down, which has the same effect as when Ico calls for Yorda and the camera moves to her.

A lot of people complain about the 2-player option and it is kinda pointless since the game is so obviously meant as a single-player experience. But afterthought or not, it's surprisingly well implemented, and a very nice afterthought regardless. I suppose they intended guys play with their girlfriends.

I (and a lot of others) feel the watermelon ending is the true bonus of the PAL version~

dcorban
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 5369

Level 1.10

Apr 2006

Old Feb 7, 2007, 09:09 PM #85 of 99
I am one of the people who have owned the game for a long time but never played it... until recently. I started 4 days ago and am currently 4.5 hours into the game.

I am repeatedly amazed at how much effort was put into the subtle things in this game. This really hit me when I first discovered the windmill. The low groan of the blades turning, the refracting and reflecting pool of water, all the textures and sounds made just for this one object that you end up spending 2 minutes with (once you figure out how to proceed).

Recently, I was crossing a wooden bridge near a waterfall and I saw a rainbow in the waterfall's mist.

I love how there are seemingly extraneous ladders, doors, pots, etc that end up having nothing to do with your progress. It really helps with the immersion and keeps the puzzle from being too obvious.

Reading the manual first helped quite a bit, since it discusses how to "help" Yorda get around and other hints, such as lighting your stick on fire.

Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.
Dave1988
TENGEN TOPPA GURREN-LAGANN!! WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!

Member 13074

Level 7.71

Sep 2006

Old Feb 8, 2007, 01:15 PM Local time: Feb 8, 2007, 08:15 PM #86 of 99
Actually the language used in both ICO and SotC is a mix of japanese and latin.

Most amazing jew boots
dcorban
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 5369

Level 1.10

Apr 2006

Old Feb 8, 2007, 02:53 PM #87 of 99
Well, I finished the game just now. My final save on the couch next to the gate says 6:01 is the time I have spent. It took me about another hour to actually complete it from that point. I spent a lot of that final hour trying some chain swing jump in the wrong direction.

Awesome game. I actually found it just the right length. The "puzzles" were relatively simple and never had me wishing for a FAQ. The game is very linear, but that was refreshing for this type of game, since I didn't have to wander around through areas I had already been looking for some obscure item or lever.

I really enjoyed the total lack of music during the gameplay. The last game I played was God of War and holy crap did the music get loud and annoying at times.

FELIPE NO
Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Feb 8, 2007, 05:01 PM Local time: Feb 9, 2007, 01:01 AM #88 of 99
Actually the language used in both ICO and SotC is a mix of japanese and latin.
Again, no.

You may think it sounds like a mix of Japanese and Latin or maybe you like to say something like that in hopes of someone believing you actually know something about this, but the languages in the games are not real, already used languages (nor are they created, full languages either). It's not a mix of languages, it's not an old dialect, it's simply made up. Anyone can hear this, but in case someone adamantly wants to insist against that, Ueda has himself said it, for instance in this old interview with GIA:

http://terror.snm-hgkz.ch/mirrors/th...s/f010831.html

Quote:
GIA: How did you create the imaginary languages that Yorda and Ico use? Are they based on any real-world languages?

Ueda: There is no particular language that we have based the imaginary languages. One might say the boy's language is similar to Chinese, and the girl's language sounds like French.

dcorban, I'm happy to hear you loved it. It's always lovely to find out someone else has discovered/played through the game and been able to enjoy it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Dave1988
TENGEN TOPPA GURREN-LAGANN!! WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!

Member 13074

Level 7.71

Sep 2006

Old Feb 8, 2007, 05:07 PM Local time: Feb 9, 2007, 12:07 AM #89 of 99
Again, no.

You may think it sounds like a mix of Japanese and Latin or maybe you like to say something like that in hopes of someone believing you actually know something about this, but the languages in the games are not real, already used languages (nor are they created, full languages either). It's not a mix of languages, it's not an old dialect, it's simply made up. Anyone can hear this, but in case someone adamantly wants to insist against that, Ueda has himself said it, for instance in this old interview with GIA:

http://terror.snm-hgkz.ch/mirrors/th...s/f010831.html
Hmmm seems my sources were crap wrong. Oh well...

Jam it back in, in the dark.
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Feb 8, 2007, 05:18 PM Local time: Feb 9, 2007, 01:18 AM #90 of 99
Hmmm seems my sources were crap wrong. Oh well...
A lot of people are convinced Ico talks an old dialect of Japanese and many are quick to believe them since it sounds plausible enough. Hell, someone I know thought the creatures in LocoRoco spoke a real language

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 8, 2007, 06:32 PM Local time: Feb 9, 2007, 12:32 AM #91 of 99
A lot of people are convinced Ico talks an old dialect of Japanese and many are quick to believe them since it sounds plausible enough. Hell, someone I know thought the creatures in LocoRoco spoke a real language
I heard that it was backwards Japanese, with the occasional bit of Latin. You know, just so that nobody can really refute the latest silly rumour without going to a lot of trouble. I never believed it even for a second. I doubt that any real thought went into the language at all.

I'm surprised these rumours can persist in the face of official denial such as that interview, though.

dcorban

Member 5369

Level 1.10

Apr 2006

Old Feb 9, 2007, 03:43 PM #92 of 99
The only sad thing about this game is that I cannot imagine playing it ever again.

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Feb 9, 2007, 04:09 PM Local time: Feb 10, 2007, 12:09 AM #93 of 99
How come? For me, it's the kind of game, like Rez, that you keep returning to again and again because it's such a simple and likeable fairytale, with a beautiful atmosphere.

Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:38 PM Local time: Feb 11, 2007, 06:38 AM #94 of 99
After managing to grab a pirated copy off a friend a couple of days ago, I've only completed ICO today! Took me about 7 hours, mostly spent fiddling with the camera to enjoy the gorgeous scenery. The puzzles were clever, and quite easy at the same time, as the game was mostly linear and usually points to where you need to go next. Though, it took me a bit to realize that you can pick up stuff. =)

Loved everything about it. The visual/aural experience and solemn ambience is all very akin to Myst games. The only bad thing about it that it turned out to be the US version. =(

I could definitely see myself replaying this some time in the future, to relive the atmosphere and maybe try to figure out/imagine what Yorda's trying to say. (Also to find that mace that I've missed.)

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:50 AM Local time: Feb 11, 2007, 07:50 PM #95 of 99
Why not download/buy the European version? D:

Hell, I could rip an image of mine, you'd get subtitles for Yorda's speech (though you'd need to complete the game again).

FELIPE NO

Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Mar 2, 2007, 10:25 AM Local time: Mar 2, 2007, 05:25 PM #96 of 99
Well, I had to download the European version a while ago, and play through it, twice, to get all the extras. And there were a few notable differences from the US's; more aggressive shadowmen (they also have new moves, like shrinking and hiding down in the floor), different save couch placements, a couple of annoying timed jumping puzzles (that weren't included in the US version), a "talking" Yorda in the game as opposed to staying silent throughout, and other bits of odds and ends.

Still, I think the US version was more polished, as I've encountered a few bugs/oddities in the PAL. Like one time when I made it to the windmill, Yorda's dress was stretched all over the place. And the way she gets confused when you try to climb a ladder she's already on. Or how ICO was more incessant when calling her. But it was totally worth it for the extras.

chaofan
Quarter-Circle + Paaaunch!

Member 1794

Level 21.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2007, 08:54 AM Local time: Mar 21, 2007, 12:54 AM #97 of 99
Is it too late to join the ICO appreciation thread ^_^?

I first played this while on schoolies at my friend's beach house. Not finishing the game was what eventually led me to getting a ps2 (man they're ultra cheap now). And what a bloody beautiful game it is.

The language the characters speak is the small element I'm most impressed with, as it helped draw me into the world of ICO. So mysterious yet familiar, as someone mentioned above. The unity of all the gaming elements (graphics, sound, mood, gameplay and etc.) is near damn flawless, and another reason to why I love this game.

Spread the word!

How ya doing, buddy?
Garnet
Princess. ;d

Member 16676

Level 6.41

Dec 2006

Old Mar 27, 2007, 07:23 PM Local time: Mar 27, 2007, 06:23 PM #98 of 99
I love ICO. ;d It's an awesome game and very beautiful. I also love the mysterious elements about it and how Shadow of the Colossus ties in real well with ICO.

I also always thought the language was a mixture of Japanese and Latin. I think I read that somewhere.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Acacia
Chocobo

Member 1401

Level 12.13

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:17 AM #99 of 99
I got a copy of this game in a flea market for fifteen dollars or so. The cover was faded (but it was the really shitty American version, so it was ok), and there was no manual, but I definitely didn't mind.

I remember hearing about this is Gamepro several years ago, but never managing to get a copy. AWESOME game; the visuals were amazing, and really rekindled my love for architecture. When the shadow monsters attacked, I was literally panicing when they took Yorda away (I don't talk when I play games, but for Ico, I sometimes muttered "Get away from her!" and whatnot XD;; )

As for the language...I know it's made up, but when Ico says "Are you alright?", it sounds a lot like "daijoub?". In Japanese, "daijoubu" means the same thing, so maybe that's why a lot of people thought it to be ancient Japanese...?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS2] ICO appreciation thread 2.0