Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:42 AM #1376 of 3592
Metal: That's exactly how MS got the damage in Forza.

Here's the real kicker though. For this question consoles don't matter, if you (you in general) could only have Forza with good graphics and some car damage OR GranTurismo with noticibly superior graphics, but no damage which one would you choose?

I myself would choose GranTurismo. If the damage in Forza was more then just asthetics I might consider it a bit more. But since I play racing sims in cockpit view, it doesn't make any difference for me.

Avanent: I don't know if you know this or not, but judging from your post I'll assume not. That "not compatible" excuse was just a cover-up for the average gamer. The real reason is that the company that made the dual-motor vibration structure (which is Emmersion) sued both Microsoft and Sony for using their patent without consulting them first. Microsoft pulled a dirty trick and bought emmersion (therefore dropping the suite against M$) and then two weeks later sold all their shares of Emmersion. That left Sony with a $30,000,000 tab to pick up. Sony does not have the $$$ to pay Emmersion at the moment hence why the PS3 controller REALLY doesn't have vibration. Though Sony is still working with Emmersion to get the rumble back into their controllers. Even if it's not settled before launch, they're still going to keep on working on it for a possible revision of the controller down the road.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Slayer X; Sep 29, 2006 at 12:51 AM.
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 01:01 AM Local time: Sep 29, 2006, 03:01 PM #1377 of 3592
Originally Posted by Slayer X
Avanent: I don't know if you know this or not, but judging from your post I'll assume not. That "not compatible" excuse was just a cover-up for the average gamer. The real reason is that the company that made the dual-motor vibration structure (which is Emmersion) sued both Microsoft and Sony for using their patent without consulting them first. Microsoft pulled a dirty trick and bought emmersion (therefore dropping the suite against M$) and then two weeks later sold all their shares of Emmersion. That left Sony with a $30,000,000 tab to pick up. Sony does not have the $$$ to pay Emmersion at the moment hence why the PS3 controller REALLY doesn't have vibration. Though Sony is still working with Emmersion to get the rumble back into their controllers. Even if it's not settled before launch, they're still going to keep on working on it for a possible revision of the controller down the road.
Is that how it happened? I heard MS just paid them off. Heard they tried to sue Nintendo as well, but Nintendo had proof of developing the technology prior to the plaintiff's patent. Good to know there working on getting it back in there.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
FFXI - Asura - Brd :3
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 01:06 AM #1378 of 3592
Yeah... last thing that I heard on the situation was in PSM two months ago. Emmersion designed a new way to creat vibration that only uses one motor & weight, therefore cutting the cost of the technology almost in half. The companies were trying to work out a deal something like, even though the new motors cost less, they'll sell them to Sony for the same price as the dual motor arrangement. Therefore the difference in price will go towards paying off that $30,000,000. Nothing was said whether the deal will actually happen or not, but at least that door is still wide open.

Most amazing jew boots
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 04:40 AM Local time: Sep 29, 2006, 10:40 PM #1379 of 3592
Originally Posted by Metal Sphere
Instead of them working on enviroments I don't see why they aren't working on the FUCKING CARS. Seriously, they're heading in the wrong direction here. In this picture you can see that the cars don't look finished, and the only thing I've seen an improvement in them over GT4 is the shadows and lighting.

Also, I like their road signs.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 06:31 AM #1380 of 3592
Perhaps it's only because I don't know my cars too well, but the car in that pick looks alright to me.

There's also 2 things that we're not accounting for.

!) Sometimes things look better in motion, EX the car in the new GT trailer looked pretty darn good... in the gameplay part.

2) The cars in the 360 games look even worse, so at least GT is looking next gen in most ways if not all.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 07:38 AM #1381 of 3592
2) The cars in the 360 games look even worse, so at least GT is looking next gen in most ways if not all.
We really need to stop comparing across different systems. Especially when there is no equivalent of the game you're comparing. The excuse that "because it's at least better than the 360" is getting old and has never been a good argument. First of all, everybody and their mother already knows that the PS3 hardware completely owns the 360 hardware, so if it wasn't better looking than the 360, all hell would break loose with the complaints. Second of all, just because a game isn't that good on another system does not justify you releasing a subpar product that is "slightly better than the competition".

I will agree with your first point, however. When you're moving, you tend to pay less attention to the detail of the car anyway.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 08:28 AM #1382 of 3592
Originally Posted by Elixir
Instead of them working on enviroments I don't see why they aren't working on the FUCKING CARS. Seriously, they're heading in the wrong direction here. In this picture you can see that the cars don't look finished, and the only thing I've seen an improvement in them over GT4 is the shadows and lighting.

Also, I like their road signs.
GT5 is a mid 2008 title. What was shown at TGS was admitted by the director himself to be something they cobbled up quickly. You can see the lighting hasn't even been applied to the track (that's why the car looks so out of place), the car itself needs some more light maps.

As for your wigging out about the cars, it takes them 6 months to completely model one, but they've got a 100+ team. Their focus is on the cars, because that (and the mountain range) were the only two decent looking things there.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 08:29 AM #1383 of 3592
When I said my second point I didn't think of it in the way you interperited it, though that is true aswell.

Just to explain myself a little further, there is the new Forza coming out for the 360 as well as the new PGR4, and then there's also the current PGR3. But when I said that second point I just meant that it's probably harder to simulate the effects of paint and other things then we think. It's just like humans in games, sure FFXIII and MGS4 looks good, but the scenery still looks better. All of that's because these things are being modelled after existing things, therefore we have a real source to compare it to, where as scenery, of course there's real forms of these things, but because there's so much and alot of locations in games are fictional, it's hard to say what something shold look like.

FELIPE NO
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 09:41 AM Local time: Sep 29, 2006, 07:41 AM #1384 of 3592
Hey, did they ever announce what that surprise 5 word game was going to be for the launch?

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 09:43 AM Local time: Sep 30, 2006, 03:43 AM #1385 of 3592
GT5 is a mid 2008 title. What was shown at TGS was admitted by the director himself to be something they cobbled up quickly. You can see the lighting hasn't even been applied to the track (that's why the car looks so out of place), the car itself needs some more light maps.
So what is this sample business I hear about being available at the PS3 launch, possibly a downloadable pay-for-play feature? I'm assuming this is something like Gran Turismo 4's "Prologue" but I haven't played that so I don't know if it's an actual independant game.

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 09:59 AM #1386 of 3592
Originally Posted by RacinReaver
Hey, did they ever announce what that surprise 5 word game was going to be for the launch?
Yes, it was OPM that gave that little hint, by the way it's:

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

From the screens released it looks like a shoddy port job, but the game is solid nonetheless.

Originally Posted by Elixer
So what is this sample business I hear about being available at the PS3 launch, possibly a downloadable pay-for-play feature? I'm assuming this is something like Gran Turismo 4's "Prologue" but I haven't played that so I don't know if it's an actual independant game.
In January 07, GT HD and Premium will be released for the PS3. Both are packaged together. Let me explain this:

GT:HD comes without cars or tracks, and you purchase them via microtransactions. IIRC, to get all the cars and tracks you'd have to spend ~$300-$400. GT Premium is basically GT5 Prologue, an early showng of a game that's got a lot of polishing ahead of it.

Another difference is that GT:HD uses GT4's photo mode models, and tracks while GT Premium has tracks and cars modeled from scratch on the PS3. One final thing, GT:P comes with only 30 cars and even fewer tracks.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 10:04 AM Local time: Sep 30, 2006, 04:04 AM #1387 of 3592
GT:HD comes without cars or tracks, and you purchase them via microtransactions. IIRC, to get all the cars and tracks you'd have to spend ~$300-$400.
So basically it's a waste of time. As if the PS3 isn't going to be expensive enough, but you have to cough out further for a beta version of a game which won't even be released the same year. And the beta is released in january, a year and a half before the actual product is released.

That sounds like mega bullshit. It also sounds like Metroid Prime: Hunters, which takes up the same scenario, except the demo was bundled with the DS for free. I'm not one to be fussy, but paying for "virtual cars" or "virtual tracks" with actual money is garbage.

People could probably question that with "well, you buy a game to play in a virtual world, so what's your point?" but you're actually physically purchasing something and physically obtaining something which could be credited for if it were, say, stolen. I don't see why people should have to pay more just to be aheaad of the rest.

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 10:29 AM #1388 of 3592
So basically it's a waste of time. As if the PS3 isn't going to be expensive enough, but you have to cough out further for a beta version of a game which won't even be released the same year. And the beta is released in january, a year and a half before the actual product is released.

That sounds like mega bullshit. It also sounds like Metroid Prime: Hunters, which takes up the same scenario, except the demo was bundled with the DS for free. I'm not one to be fussy, but paying for "virtual cars" or "virtual tracks" with actual money is garbage.

People could probably question that with "well, you buy a game to play in a virtual world, so what's your point?" but you're actually physically purchasing something and physically obtaining something which could be credited for if it were, say, stolen. I don't see why people should have to pay more just to be aheaad of the rest.
Agreed, that's why my stance on this is: Don't buy it

Vote no with your wallet and show Polyphony that this shit doesn't fly, because if we don't, expect to find ourselves paying $60 bucks for an incomplete game with downloadable content raping your wallet just to finish the game.

I don't see any reason to get this, since the final game will be at least 20x better than this and actually come with tracks and cars.

Most amazing jew boots

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 10:38 AM Local time: Sep 30, 2006, 04:38 AM #1389 of 3592
Are they releasing this beta thing in january of 2008 to simply pool money, or is it actually a preview? Because I mean, I've seen Prologue on sale the same time Gran Turismo 4 was. That's probably because it was selling well.

Or it could've been left over stock from not selling them, I don't know. Was GT4: Prologue good? Gamespot's not coming up with anything for it, it's just directly linking to Gran Turismo 4 itself.

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 10:51 AM #1390 of 3592
Are they releasing this beta thing in january of 2008 to simply pool money, or is it actually a preview? Because I mean, I've seen Prologue on sale the same time Gran Turismo 4 was. That's probably because it was selling well.
It's just a cobbled up bunch of assets that are presentable enough to sell. And it's January 2007, Jan 2008 would be kind of close to GT5 proper.

Quote:
Or it could've been left over stock from not selling them, I don't know. Was GT4: Prologue good? Gamespot's not coming up with anything for it, it's just directly linking to Gran Turismo 4 itself.
Never played it, so I can't really say. Prologue isn't even a real "game", but like you said it's more of a beta type situation.

How ya doing, buddy?

Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 11:54 AM #1391 of 3592
Just so you guys know though, that concept of having the two different GT5 packages is just that... a concept. They haven't actually said exactly what they're going to do, it was just an idea that they probably threw out there at TGS to see people's stance on it. We're going to have to wait until later to hear any final decisions as to how GT5 will be sold.

FELIPE NO
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:24 PM Local time: Sep 29, 2006, 10:24 AM #1392 of 3592
Yes, it was OPM that gave that little hint, by the way it's:

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

From the screens released it looks like a shoddy port job, but the game is solid nonetheless.
Aww, I thought they said it wasn't going to be that. I was hoping on seeing some sort of massive announcement about a surprise Grand Theft Auto game or something.

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:36 PM #1393 of 3592
Just so you guys know though, that concept of having the two different GT5 packages is just that... a concept. They haven't actually said exactly what they're going to do, it was just an idea that they probably threw out there at TGS to see people's stance on it. We're going to have to wait until later to hear any final decisions as to how GT5 will be sold.
No, none of these games is GT5. The expected release date for these two, packaged together, is January 2007. GT5 proper isn't expected to release until that same time next year.

Oh, and Rockstar's made it abundantly clear that their next gen title will be on both consoles simultaneously. Apparently, none of them wanted to pony up the increasing sum of money they were asking for exclusivity.

Edit: PS3 Demo kiosks already going out

Originally Posted by IGN
September 29, 2006 - Sony has taken another major step on its path towards releasing the PlayStation 3, with the Akiba Keizan Shimbun newspaper reporting today that at least one major Tokyo retailer has taken delivery of the first PlayStation 3 demo kiosk. At this rate, the system may actually make it out on schedule!

Accoridng to the paper, the multi-story Yodobashi Camera outlet in Tokyo's Akihabara district now has an actual PlayStation 3 unit on display. A monitor above the system shows trailers for games like Afrika, Genji, Heavenly Sword and The Eye of Judgment.

The system is strictly hands-off at this point, but the newspaper reports that customers were stopping to take a look before heading to the register to purchase Pokemon Diamond & Pearl for the DS.

For a picture of the first retail PlayStation 3 unit, check out the Akiba Keizai Shimbun website.

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Sep 29, 2006 at 02:36 PM.
bighunt
Driving under the radar....

Member 608

Level 13.78

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 03:38 PM Local time: Sep 29, 2006, 04:38 PM #1394 of 3592
I don't see any reason to get this, since the final game will be at least 20x better than this and actually come with tracks and cars.

I agree. but it seems as if Polyphony is trying to satisfy the needs of the hardcore GT lovers until GT5 comes out in a few years.
GT is a fantastic franchise, i'm a huge fan and i'd love to buy the latest installment for the PS3, but as mentioned before for the price you have to fork over, it ain't worth it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 03:41 PM #1395 of 3592
Nice, can't wait to see the shakey cam videos that will result in those kiosks.

Look at that MGS billboard. Japan owns us.

avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 03:43 PM Local time: Sep 30, 2006, 05:43 AM #1396 of 3592
Originally Posted by RacinReaver
Aww, I thought they said it wasn't going to be that. I was hoping on seeing some sort of massive announcement about a surprise Grand Theft Auto game or something.
They did say that. They just can't make up their mind.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
FFXI - Asura - Brd :3
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 03:55 PM #1397 of 3592
Rumor: PS3 to come with Blu Ray Demo Disc.

Quote:
Who remembers back in the day when the original Playstation launched with a demo disc giving gamers the chance to try out games without having to rent them first? I know that I remember it all to well and it was one of the first things I thought was pretty awesome from Sony although having a demo disc these days is nothing special. Well there is a rumor going on right now at SPOnG that the Playstation 3 will have a Blu-Ray demo disc coming with the system at launch.

he full rumor looks to be that it will come with a Blu-Ray demo disc designed to showcase how films can look given the high-definition treatment at 1080p to win over non Blu-Ray enthusiasts. So remember this is just a rumor right now, hopefully Sony will continue to follow in their own footsteps and have some kind of demo shipping with the system but no official statements have been made.
Wouldn't surprise me, since the PSP came with a UMD demo that showed off the different media of the system (game videos, movie trailers, music videos). A similar disc to show off Blu Ray movies and games would be nice, but it'll be better if the game demos are playable. Some brand new system-exclusive trailers for games like MGS4 would sweeten the deal, as well.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 06:11 PM Local time: Sep 29, 2006, 04:11 PM #1398 of 3592
How about launching a game with the system. Anyone remember those good old days? =\

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 06:51 PM #1399 of 3592
Yeah, but it's not really as good of a deal as it sounds. First off the company is going to charge to compensate for the game included. And then if that's the case then not everyone is going to want that game.

However I do still say that there should be like a 30% off coupon or something towards a game when you buy the system.

FELIPE NO
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 08:19 PM Local time: Sep 29, 2006, 06:19 PM #1400 of 3592
I think for six hundred fucking dollars they could throw a short Jak & Daxter game my way. Hell, when I bought my stupid Soundblast 16 card I got six fully functional (and pretty decent quality) games with it.

Besides, Sony (and Microsoft) still hasn't come up with a mascot, and the only way they could ever hope to do it is if they do a launch title along with the system.

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread