Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] VG Trivia!

Gakineko
You're sukiyaki!

Member 3199

Level 10.26

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 04:59 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2006, 01:59 PM #1 of 313
Question VG Trivia!

I'd like to warn everyone that the trivia posted may contain spoilers. Read at your own discretion.

What i'm looking for are trivia questions of any nature. The trivia here is open to any aspect of console gaming.
Questions that may invoke more than one response are encouraged because it will prolong its life, such as the following question:
Spoiler:

"How many adventures has Mario been on?"

then people start counting all of mario's adventures

smb1, smb the lost levels, smb2, smb3, mario land 1, mario land 2,smw, mario rpg, mario 64, paper mario, paper mario tyd, the new smb, mario sunshine, mario and luigi superstar saga, and mario and luigi partners in time.

which comes out to a total of 15. sounds pretty reasonable right?

it definitely is, though there are two things that people might miss:
1) mario's time machine isn't an adventure of mario's that people remember right off the bat, let alone some might not even know it exists
2) Super Mario 2 was all Mario's dream, so technically Mario didn't go anywhere.

Which means the answers could be between 14 and 16, leading the people who counted 15 to be right for the wrong reason. This allows the assessment of reasoning to weigh the validity of the answer.

So no holds barred, this is free-for-all trivia.
Also keep in mind that it is encouraged to look for other correct answers rather than recycling the popular ones.

Update 8/15
i propose creating trivia based on screenshots as a new theme. screenshots are everywhere not to mention, screenshots are rather easy to make one's self. with any luck, this idea will take off.

for kicks, i might post pictures that answer the questions already ask and work backwards to find which question it corresponds to.
Game Lists
  1. Name 4 games that contain a final boss that does NOT have more than one form (or is not an alternate form of a boss previously encountered)
  2. Name a game in which you can find cowboys and ninjas.
  3. Name a game that is a supporter of the "Once you've jumped, you've committed" rule.
  4. Name a fighting game with at least one damage dealing taunt.
  5. Name 2 games that offered sound tests as a reward for completing them.
  6. Name 2 games that scroll only from right to left?
  7. Name 2 games that allows you to side with the antagonist at the end of the game.
  8. Which early games allow players "charge jump"?
General Trivia
  1. How many maidens in distress has mario saved?
  2. Which spells can you think of in the final fantasy series that never made it across into a different final fantasy game?
  3. Using the "infinite life" trick in Super Mario Bros. 1, what is the largest amount of lives a person can have at once?
  4. How many stages are there in Super Mario Bros.?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Gakineko; Aug 15, 2006 at 09:17 PM.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 05:24 PM #2 of 313
That Mario question is very tricky for the non die-hards

I have to answer some of these before some less creative people come by:
Originally Posted by Gakineko
Name 4 games that contain a final boss that does NOT have more than one form (or is not an alternate form of a boss previously encountered)
Name a game in which you can find cowboys and ninjas.
Name a fighting game with at least one damage dealing taunt.
Name 2 games that allows you to side with the antagonist at the end of the game.
1) Final Fantasy IX, Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, Chrono Cross, Tekken 5 (basically any fighting game)
2) Live a Live (Sunset + Oboro)
3) Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter (Dan's premium taunt)
4) Final Fantasy IV, Chrono Trigger

Here's a couple:
Name 3 games where music is used as a weapon (directly).
Name 3 RPGs where you can't escape from battle.
Name 3 RPGs where equipment can give a negative bonus to your base stats.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Megavolt
Seer

Member 1731

Level 14.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 06:49 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2006, 05:49 PM #3 of 313
Game Lists
  1. Name 4 games that contain a final boss that does NOT have more than one form (or is not an alternate form of a boss previously encountered)
  2. Name a game in which you can find cowboys and ninjas.
  3. Name a game that is a supporter of the "Once you've jumped, you've committed" rule.
  4. Name a fighting game with at least one damage dealing taunt.
  5. Name 2 games that offered sound tests as a reward for completing them.
  6. Name 2 games that scroll only from right to left?
  7. Name 2 games that allows you to side with the antagonist at the end of the game.
  8. Which early games allow players "charge jump"?
1. Suikoden II (Wolf Demon), Ogre Battle (Diablo), Lufia II (Daos), Secret of Mana (Mana Beast)
2. Sengoku (the two playable characters; one is a ninja and the other a cowboy)
3. Castlevania (all the early ones before Metroidvania, really; except maybe Rondo of Blood, which I haven't played)
4. SSB - Luigi
5. Phantasy Star IV and Fire Emblem (GBA Fire Emblem 7)
6. Magmax and Lemmings?
7. Dragonforce (Goldark), Vagrant Story (Sydney [sort of])
8. US SMB2/Doki Doki Panic and I'd like to mention a less obvious one, but it isn't coming to me right now

General Trivia
  1. Which spells can you think of in the final fantasy series that never made it across into a different final fantasy game?
A number of spells from FFVI. Merton and W. Wind come to mind. If Lores count, you've got Grandtrain, Quasar, Rippler, Step Mine, etc.

Originally Posted by Summonmaster
Here's a couple:
Name 3 games where music is used as a weapon (directly).
You mean like FFT with the Bard class or like SMRPG with Mallow and his Cymbals?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
~MV
Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 07:23 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2006, 06:23 PM #4 of 313
Quote:
How many maidens in distress has mario saved?

How many stages are there in Super Mario Bros.?
2. Daisy and Peach.

Typically, 32. However there's actually 36 programmed in, as Minus World is really Level 36.

And for the record, Super Mario 2 IS an adventure. The one we really know is Super Mario USA. FDS FTW.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:17 PM #5 of 313
General Trivia
  1. How many maidens in distress has mario saved?
  2. Which spells can you think of in the final fantasy series that never made it across into a different final fantasy game?
  3. Using the "infinite life" trick in Super Mario Bros. 1, what is the largest amount of lives a person can have at once?
  4. How many stages are there in Super Mario Bros.?
1. Daisy, Peach, and Pauline. I could've sworn that was the first one on the Game Boy or something like that...

2. No answer... Fan of the series. Haven't played it enough to actually know. <_<

3. 99 lives, but I have a random feeling it's wrong.

4. 32? But I'm not sure if you're including anything else in this either.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Summonmaster

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:23 PM #6 of 313
Originally Posted by Megavolt
You mean like FFT with the Bard class or like SMRPG with Mallow and his Cymbals?
Moreso like Mallow (never thought of that one!) Didn't the Bard class just sing stat raising songs or something?

Also,
4) 3 games where you can rename everyone but the main character.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:55 AM Local time: Jul 13, 2006, 11:55 PM #7 of 313
Originally Posted by Chaotic
1. Daisy, Peach, and Pauline. I could've sworn that was the first one on the Game Boy or something like that...
Pauline doesn't count, as she was saved by "Jumpman". Unless you want to get technical and count Donkey Kong on the GB.

FELIPE NO
Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 01:19 PM #8 of 313
Moreso like Mallow (never thought of that one!) Didn't the Bard class just sing stat raising songs or something?
Singing is their class skill, however if you do opt to have them attack something, they'll play their harp at the enemy, and that damages them. A throwback to Edward in FF4 I guess.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Thank you Guest for the kickass signature!
Megavolt
Seer

Member 1731

Level 14.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 02:45 PM Local time: Jul 14, 2006, 01:45 PM #9 of 313
Yeah, I was a bit off, as it's the Dancer who affects enemies. Fortunately, the Bard does work with the definition I now know you intended (as Kaelin mentioned), so I'll add Nikki from Chrono Cross to complete the trio.

~MV
Summonmaster

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 03:21 PM #10 of 313
Ooh very nice! I didn't remember some of that, and yes following with Kaelin's mention, bard harp music is totally what I meant. Irenes in CC uses her harp too I believe.

I was hoping someone would say Project Justice (Yurika shoots music), or Kirby Superstar (Kirby's Mic ability). I don't know if Legend of Mana would count since you are producing magic from playing the instruments.

There should be some more questions here, some of these can get really neat without being too overly difficult.
eg. 5) Name 3 games without a level 99 cap

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 03:39 PM #11 of 313
5) Name 3 games without a level 99 cap
Disgaea, Pokemon, and... Disgaea 2? I can't think of a third one right now.

Megavolt
Seer

Member 1731

Level 14.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 03:56 PM Local time: Jul 14, 2006, 02:56 PM #12 of 313
I don't know if Legend of Mana would count since you are producing magic from playing the instruments.
Yeah, I thought about that one myself but the magic thing kept me from being certain enough to mention it. I also remember that you use a flute as your weapon in Illusion of Gaia, though I don't think the hero has a way of attacking that involves actually playing it.

5) Name 3 games without a level 99 cap
Star Ocean the Second Story, Disgaea (or probably any Nippon Ichi SRPG; I know Phantom Brave doesn't have one), Final Fantasy VIII (the cap is 100)

Most amazing jew boots
~MV
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 04:49 PM #13 of 313
Which spells can you think of in the final fantasy series that never made it across into a different final fantasy game?
Lessee.....Any of the Level 4 spells from the earlier games (Final Fantasy IV comes to mind). I think Final Fantasy had an "Old" spell or something. Final Fantasy VI had a unique Merton and W. Wind as pointed out earlier. I don't remember seeing Rasp any more either. Life 3 was dropped as White Magic (Final Fantasy IX's Auto-Life doesn't count). Final Fantasy VII had a unique "Contain" which was never followed up. Final Fantasy VIII had meltdown, aura, double/triple, and a plethora of others that were one-timers. Final Fantasy IX, I'm not sure since I don't know what was in FFX, XI and XII. Tactics held the unique Level2 Protect and Shells as well as all the movement time magic never made it out of that game for obvious reasons. Come to think about it, scratch what I said about the Level 4s since they're in Tactics.

electric_eye
PIMPLE

Member 7372

Level 18.98

May 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 05:06 PM Local time: Jul 14, 2006, 11:06 PM #14 of 313
1) Final Fantasy IX, Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, Chrono Cross, Tekken 5 (basically any fighting game)
Not ANY fighting game. You overlook Ogre become True Ogre (or something like this) in Tekken 3. =)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
J-Man
Taller than a tree

Member 102

Level 23.11

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 07:43 PM Local time: Jul 14, 2006, 05:43 PM #15 of 313
This is the most generally informative VG thread I've ever seen.

FELIPE NO
Summonmaster

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 07:59 PM #16 of 313
Very good point eye! I was thinking of ogre but the 1st form of ogre was so immemorable that it didn't click in my mind.

As for no level 99 cap, Star Ocean was what I had in mind too, but I'm pretty sure you could get to level 255 in Tales of Symphonia as well.

AS much as I like thinking of these questions, other should people should pose some of their own too. I wanna guess too!

Recap of mine:
2) Name 3 rpgs where you can't escape from battle.
3) Name 3 games where equipment can give a negative bonus to your base stats.
4) Name 3 games where you can rename everyone but the main character.

6) Name 3 game series that have at least 2 sequels, and where none of the games in the series have a number in the title, spelled or written out. NES/SNES titles with numbers are exampt.
7) Name two rpgs with thieves who did not have any kind of steal command at their disposal in battle.
8) Name 3 games with over 25 playable characters (strategy rpgs don't count).

Most amazing jew boots
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:16 PM #17 of 313
Suikoden I, II, and III. :P

Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:29 PM Local time: Jul 14, 2006, 09:29 PM #18 of 313
2) Name 3 rpgs where you can't escape from battle.
If you exempt items/spells, Xenosaga I, II, and III (at least I haven't seen one in III)

If not, Legend of Mana would be one. You come up with two more.

3) Name 3 games where equipment can give a negative bonus to your base stats.
Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy VI
(Blank)

6) Name 3 game series that have at least 2 sequels, and where none of the games in the series have a number in the title, spelled or written out. NES/SNES titles with numbers are exampt.
Tales of.
Chrono series (yes, there are 2. Radical Dreamers and Chrono Cross)
F-Zero

7) Name two rpgs with thieves who did not have any kind of steal command at their disposal in battle.
Final Fantasy I
(Blank)

Chrono Cross and the previously mentioned Suikoden series.

Most amazing jew boots
Megavolt
Seer

Member 1731

Level 14.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:43 PM Local time: Jul 14, 2006, 10:43 PM #19 of 313
6. Soul Blazer series (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma), Star Soldier series (Star Soldier, Super Star Soldier, Final Soldier, Soldier Blade, Star Soldier Vanishing Earth), Ratchet & Clank series (Ratchet & Clank, Going Commando, Up Your Arsenal)

7. Seiken Densetsu 3 (Hawk) and Breath of Fire (Karn)

~MV
ArchesFan
And for my next trick....he'll confess.

Member 7800

Level 11.26

Jun 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 10:38 AM Local time: Jul 15, 2006, 10:38 AM #20 of 313
1. Chrono Trigger, Tales of Phantasia, Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 10:55 AM #21 of 313
Originally Posted by Yamamanama
2. Name 3 RPGs where the main character does not use a sword.
2. Tales of Legendia, Lunar: Dragon Song, and Super Mario RPG.

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 01:55 PM #22 of 313
Originally Posted by Yamamanama
Well, I don't see any new questions, so...

2. Name 3 RPGs where the main character does not use a sword.
That really depends on how you look at it....If you're saying a playthrough where the main character does not use a sword or ANY main character cannot use a sword. For example......

Final Fantasy I (Depends on who you choose in your party)
Final Fantasy V (Depends on your class)
Final Fantasy Tactics (See above)
Seiken Densetsu 3 (If your team DID NOT consist of Duran)
Legend of Mana (If you did not choose a sword protagonist)
etc.

I think the answer you want is...

Final Fantasy IX (Uses Daggers)
Paper Mario (I guess hammers)
Pokemon (Your Main Character uses Pokemon, and at which point, not even your pokemon have swords)

I guess if you wanted a real RPG, the last slot would be.....

Xenogears (Never actually beat the game, but I assume he never picks up a sword.)

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Omnislash124; Jul 15, 2006 at 02:12 PM.
ArchesFan

Member 7800

Level 11.26

Jun 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 02:36 PM Local time: Jul 15, 2006, 02:36 PM #23 of 313
I guess I'll ask a question, probably a crappy one though.

1. We all know that games have characters with names (obviously) and sometimes there is that hidden cool thing about last names, but the usually don't mean anything. Name 2 video games where the main character's last name actually had a bearing on the story? (Don't name 2 games in the same series)

EDIT: Maybe I should clarify. The name doesn't have to be like a big moment or anything, but it's mentioned in the story and maybe there are family members who are important in the story or series.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by ArchesFan; Jul 15, 2006 at 02:39 PM.
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 02:46 PM #24 of 313
Originally Posted by ArchesFan
I guess I'll ask a question, probably a crappy one though.

1. We all know that games have characters with names (obviously) and sometimes there is that hidden cool thing about last names, but the usually don't mean anything. Name 2 video games where the main character's last name actually had a bearing on the story? (Don't name 2 games in the same series)

EDIT: Maybe I should clarify. The name doesn't have to be like a big moment or anything, but it's mentioned in the story and maybe there are family members who are important in the story or series.
Beoluve (or however you spell it, Ramza's last name from FFT)
Albane (Cless/Cress, I don't know but it's a shot in the dark from how much of the game I've gotten through Tales of Phantasia)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
ArchesFan

Member 7800

Level 11.26

Jun 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 02:48 PM Local time: Jul 15, 2006, 02:48 PM #25 of 313
Originally Posted by Omnislash124
Beoluve (or however you spell it, Ramza's last name from FFT)
Albane (Cless/Cress, I don't know but it's a shot in the dark from how much of the game I've gotten through Tales of Phantasia)
Belouve was one I was thinking of, but I don't remember if Cless's last name had an impact in the story.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] VG Trivia!