Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Summer 2009 - Don't Say You're Lazy Zzeroparticle

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2009, 07:17 PM 2 #1 of 11
Summer 2009 - Don't Say You're Lazy Zzeroparticle

Hey Zzero what's up where's the thread man? Fuck it, we'll do Summer 09, TAILS EDITION.

Now, I don't know about you guys but I'm down for Spicy Wolf II, and if Aoi Hana is anywhere near as awesome as the lyrics to Casshern Sins indicate it is, that too.

(But no really, here are the summaries courtesy of TheFluff)

Quote:
Summer 2009:
Originally Posted by TheFluff
Hello again dear goony goon goons, it's time for another "what's up with next season?" thread. As always the list of shows is taken from Moonphase (moonrune warning). The dates listed are premiere dates unless otherwise specified; they are probably all subject to change. I usually list all TV shows on Moonphase plus the more interesting OVA's and movies (but there I usually miss a few because I'm lazy).

As tradition dictates I have also bolded the names of the shows I predict ADTRW will be particularly interested in. I usually screw this up terribly and bold shows that turn out to be shit and miss bolding shows that turn out to be awesome (Sengoku Basara, anyone?).

In other words, if you think there's something missing or wrong, please do post (never stop posting). That said, without further ado:

Summer TV shows

06/05: Weiss * Schwarz
Some TCG merchandise gimmick show.

06/05: Gin'iro no Corda ~second passo~ - Second Movement
Second special episode of a shoujo-style reverse harem show from 2005. OVA airing on TV.

06/20: Kawa no Hikari (River of Light)
NHK kids show about a rat family.

06/24: Umi Monogatari ~ Anata ga Ite Kureta Koto ~ (Sea Story)
"Transforming magical girl action" with not-quite-mermaids, apparently based on a line of pachinko games () and directed by King of Feelgood Anime Sato Junichi (Aria, Princess Tutu, Kaleido Star, Sketchbook, Sailor Moon; funnily enough he also did storyboards for Zeta Gundam). Horie Yui as one of the not-quite-mermaids.

06/25: Fight Ippatsu! Juuden-chan!
Some kind of incredibly gimmicky comedy fanservice show where a girl with some kind of electrical powers (don't ask) goes around and does <stuff>. Done for and airs on AT-X (same channel that aired Queen's Blade), which should tell you a thing or two about it. Followers of the Ayako Doctrine would do well to note that it does star Kawasumi Ayako in some capacity.

07/01: Umineko no Naku Koro ni (When Seagulls Cry, aka. When They Cry 3)
The spiritual successor to Higurashi. See the thread for more information, but be aware that it is about the visual novel the anime is based on, and the posts after the OP are likely to contain spoilers. Someone should probably start a separate anime thread eventually.

07/04: Element Hunters
Japanese-Korean sci-fi joint venture aiming to teach kids about chemical elements. Kuwashima Houko as one of the main characters; OP by Ishikawa Chiaki (Uninstall, etc).

07/05: Princess Lover
Terrible generic hgame-based fanservice/harem show with rich girls in elaborate revealing costumes. Stars both Wakamoto Norio and Shiraishi Minoru (best known for his role as himself in Lucky Star) for some bizarre reason.

07/05: Kanamemo
Gimmicky moƩ show based on a 4-panel manga about a newspaper delivery firm staffed exclusively by cute girls. It's basically K-On but with newspaper delivery instead of music; the main character even has the same VA as Yui in K-On.

07/07: Sora no Manimani (At the Sky's Mercy)
Slice-of-life romantic comedy show about the members of some highschool astronomy club. Directed by a guy with things like School Rumble, Gintama and a bunch of Gundams (X, ZZ, Wing, 0080, Char's Counterattack) on his resume. Stars Tomatsu Haruka (Aoba in Cross Game, Nagi in Kannagi, Misao in Asura Cryin') and Koshimizu Ami (Horo in Spice & Wolf, Kallen in Code Geass) among others.

07/11: Yoku Wakaru Gendai Mahou (Properly Learned Modern Magic)
Fantasy/highschool series based on a series of light novels about some short and clumsy girl who is apprenticed to a 25-year-old famous magician in order to learn the trade herself. Stars Nonaka Ai (Kafka in SZS, Fuuko in Clannad) as the clumsy apprentice.

July: Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
BONES does an anime original disaster drama about a gigantic earthquake hitting Tokyo. Replaces Eden of the East in the Noitamina timeslot. Staff and cast seems to be mostly beginners and/or not very big names; no idea where this could go and if I should bold it or not.

July: Aoi Hana (Sweet Blue Flowers)
J.C. Staff does an anime adaption of a yuri/female friendship highschool romance manga, directed by the guy who brought us Honey & Clover and Nodame Cantabile (season 1). Has Horie Yui voicing a side character. musouka says: "If it's half as good as the manga, it'll be one of THE shows of the season." Based on that and the director's impressive resume, I'm bolding this.

July: NEEDLESS
Anime version of a postapocalyptic supernatural powers shounen manga, courtesy of Madhouse and a relatively inexperienced director whose only two shows of note are Strawberry Panic and The Masked Maid Guy.

July: Ookami to Koushinryou II (Spice & Wolf season 2)
Moeconomics, season 2. Same director and voice actors as last time.

July: Bakemonogatari (Monster Tales)
Andrew Cunningham says: "short stories which seem to have been written largely to purge [the author] of all his most arcane otaku jokes". Since the anime adaption is done by SHAFT, our old friend Shinbo Akiyuki and his partner in crime Oishi Tatsuya, this seems like a recipe for insanity unlike anything we've seen since Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.

July: Taishou Yakyuu Musume (Taisho Era Baseball Girls)
Baseball anime with a twist; instead of some modern teenaged guy aiming for Koushien, this one is about a group of baseball pioneering girls sometime during the Taisho period (1912-1926). Animation by J.C. Staff and there is plenty of voice talent to go around; stars people like Ueda Kana (Sakuya in Hayate the Combat Butler, Yumi in Maria-sama, Rin in Fate/stay night), Nakahara Mai (Rena in Higurashi, Nagisa in Clannad, Mai in My-Hime/My-Otome) and Noto Mamiko (Yakumo in School Rumble, Oichi in Sengoku Basara, Fujino in Kara no Kyoukai etc. etc.).

July: Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Mr. Despair and his class of dysfunctional students is back again. I have no idea how Shinbo thinks he's going to manage both this and Bakemonogatari in the same season but apparently it shall be done, so who am I to question it?

July: Hetalia Axis Powers S2
More gimmicky country stereotype jokes. Dunno if it will actually air on TV this time.

July: Kuruneko
Anime adaption of a manga blog (webcomic?) about a lady who likes two things; sake and her many cats. Dunno anything more than that.

July: GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class
Based on a 4-panel comedy manga about, well, an art class. Not much info available and the website 403's at the moment.
e: Oceanbound says: "I think GA is supposed to be like Hidamari Sketch except everyone is a freshman, and a glasses girl is the main character, voiced by the VA who did Nagi in Kannagi. The director did Cromartie High School and the studio doing it is AIC+."

July: CANAAN
Anime based on TYPE-MOON's latest and greatest game (it was released fairly recently, like half a year ago if memory serves); also known as 428. Directed by Ando Masahiro (probably best known for Sword of the Stranger) and has an absolutely incredible all-star voice cast led by Sakamoto Maaya (Shiki in Kara no Kyoukai; should need no introduction) and Sawashiro Miyuki (Shinku in Rozen Maiden, Chie in Eve no Jikan, etc) and backed up by people like Tanaka Rie (everything ever from Yomi (in Azumanga) to Suigintou and Lacus Clyne), Minagawa Junko, Tomatsu Haruka, Hirata Hiroaki and Hamada Kenji.
e: Factor_VIII says: "Actually CANAAN is only a part of the 428 game and it's the only thing that Type Moon contributed to that title which was actually developed by Chunsoft."

Summer: Jungle Taitei TV Special
Some kind of TV special version of The Jungle Emperor, otherwise better known as Kimba the White Lion.

Summer: Ukkari Penelope New Series
As far as I can determine this is some kind of NHK kids show based on a series of western picture books.

Summer OVA's and movies

06/23: Minami-ke OAD

06/24: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei 04 - Saigoroshi-hen Sono San (When They Cry Rei 04 - Dice Killing Chapter Part 3)

06/24: Utawarerumono OVA 1

06/26: Cobra the Animation Time Driver - 02

06/27: Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Ha (Evangelion 2.0: You Can [Not] Advance)
Yep. Listed date is the cinema premiere date, who knows how long it'll be before we get a DVD. (Bluray you say? HAH! 2014 maybe!)

Early summer: Miyamoto Musashi: Souken ni Haseru Yume (Musashi: The Dream of the Last Samurai)
Oshii Mamoru, Nishikubo Mizuho and Production I.G. does a badass samurai movie about, well, Miyamoto Musashi. There's an English trailer available on ANN as well as other trailers on the official website.

07/22: Birdy the Mighty Decode - The Cipher
Guyver says: "[it's] a single episode connecting the first and second season".

07/24: Hellsing OVA - 06

07/29: Kara no Kyoukai 6 - Boukyaku Rokuon (Boundary of Emptiness 6 - Oblivion Recording)
DVD release date of the sixth Kara no Kyoukai movie.

08/01: Summer Wars
Supernatural-ish slice-of-life by the guys who did Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time).

08/10: Nodame Cantabile OAD

08/21: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei 05 - Hirukowashi-hen (When They Cry Rei 05 - Daybreak Chapter)

08/25: AIKa ZERO - 01
Guyver says: "An Agent Aika OVA set between Virgin Mission and the original OVA".

August: Kara no Kyoukai 7 - Satsujin Kousatsu (Go) (Boundary of Emptiness 7 - A Study in Murder (Part 2))
Cinema premiere date of the seventh and final Kara no Kyoukai movie. Enjoy waiting another 6 months or so for the DVD, and then God alone knows how long for the blurays.

Later stuff

Nothing here bolded because of lack of information, as usual.

October: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun (A Certain Scientific Railgun)
Spinoff of that certain shitty shounen show, revolving around that certain electrical girl who was generally regarded as the least bad character.

October: Nodame Cantabile S3
Hopefully it'll be better than S2. (It'll be good almost regardless of what they do to it but S2 wasn't as good as S1, unfortunately.)

Autumn: White Album S2
The first season was remarkably unintentionally funny; I expect this one to keep it up.

Autumn: Winter Sonata the Animation
Anime adaption of a hugely popular Korean live action drama/soap opera. People who liked Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and shit like that are most likely going to love this. Moonphase originally listed it for July.

2010: Cobra the Animation: Rokunin no Yuushi (Cobra the Animation: Six Warriors)
Remake of the famous 1982 sci-fi anime classic Space Adventure Cobra. Apparently both the director (Grand Old Man Dezaki Osamu) and the main voice actors are returning.
Was to be aired in July; postponed because of a production fuckup.

As for me, not quote as impressive as Spring, BUT.

Hellsing OVA (FUCK YES FINALLY)
Spice and Wolf II
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Minami-ke
Utawarerumono
Summer Wars
and motherfucking JUUDEN-CHAN.

I'm a little burned out on Zetsubou, so I might wait on that one, but that's about it for me. What about you folks?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

#654: Braixen
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Jun 17, 2009, 08:38 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2009, 06:38 PM #2 of 11
There are a number of interesting-looking series, but the only ones I'm definitely watching for sure are Spice and Wolf II and GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class. Bakemonogatari and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 look like they have the potential to be cool, and Aoi Hana could be absolutely amazing given the credentials of the director.

Also watching Juuden-chan, why lie.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2009, 09:58 PM #3 of 11
Everyone is watching Juuden-chan. Queens Blade is passing the torch to this obvious hit of the Summer.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

#654: Braixen
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:48 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2009, 09:48 PM #4 of 11
And then Juuden-chan will return the torch for Queen's Blade 2. Woo!

Also dat Aika OVA coming in a couple of months. 2009: The 1000th summer (of T&A).

Most amazing jew boots
zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:58 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2009, 09:58 PM #5 of 11
Last time I was late, and no one seemed to be complaining. Why now?

Uhhh right, so Spring season was kind of meh for me, but hopefully, the summer season will pick up quite nicely with a better serving of quality this time around. I'll probably overload myself yet again, but ehhh... Anyhow, my anime diet will be as follows:

Umi Monogatari ~ Anata ga Ite Kureta Koto ~: because of the Junichi Sato factor. It's also a firm reminder that I need to get around to watching Kaleido Star since I have the DVDs, but have yet to find any time. Bigblah and Styphon liked it a lot, but Gechmir didn't, not that we care about his opinion since he refused to play the excellent Cave Story (and I still don't know if he's played it yet).

Umineko no Naku Koro ni: Well, like the description says, it's the spiritual successor to Higurashi. Obvious hit right there.

Element Hunters: This is an iffy one. The only reason this caught my interest is because Toshihiko Sahashi is behind the soundtrack.

Aoi Hana - FUCK YESSS KASAI IS BACK!!!

Spice and Wolf II - More moe economics. Sure winner right there.

Bakemonogatari - FUCK YESSS MORE SHINBO + SHAFT

Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - I'm actually very iffy on this franchise (if I may call it that since it looked like they were running out of steam with Goku Sayonara Zetubou Sensei, Michael Jackson's appearance notwithstanding).

CANAAN - Well, it is Type Moon. I've been suckered into their stuff. Loved Kara no Kyoukai (what I've seen of it so far), enjoyed Tsukihime (screw the haters), and totally despised Fate/Stay Night. This one could be good, but I'll just keep my expectations low... just in case.

GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class - pleasepleasepleaseplease let this be like Hidamari Sketch and/or Sketchbook. That's all I ask and I'll follow it to the ends of the earth.

I was speaking idiomatically.
My spheres of activity:
Anime Instrumentality Blog - Latest Music Reviews: Gundam Unicorn Soundtrack | Kampfer Soundtrack
Eminence Online (anime music reviewer) - Latest review: Noir Original Soundtrack
The Nihon Review - Latest review: Taisho Yakyuu Musume
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:20 AM Local time: Jun 17, 2009, 10:20 PM #6 of 11
I've read the GA manga (Yen Press is THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST), and it's certainly got a similar enough feeling to stuff like Hidamari, so fans of the whole "4koma about a group of girls in high school" genre will probably like it. That said, it actually conveys a fair amount of technical information about art (lots of references to stuff like CMYK, paint types, color significance, etc), so it'll be interesting to see how they portray that stuff.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Ozma
Here's Johnny!!!

Member 10311

Level 25.67

Jul 2006

Old Jun 18, 2009, 05:19 AM Local time: Jun 18, 2009, 05:19 PM #7 of 11
The must-see show for me is definitely Zan! Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Bakemonogatari. Akiyuki Shinbo has impressed me a lot (expect for the stinking Natsu no Arashi), especially because of his Zetsubou series and Bakemonogatari seems so toxic mysterious to be missed.

Another ones to be expected:
Umi Monogatari (don't know why, but I am somehow attracted for no reason)
Umineko no Naku Koro ni (hope it is as good as Higu, since the HiguRei sucks)

Considering:
428 The Animation ~CANAAN~ (I am disgusted with FATE/stay night, while Kara no Kyoukai doesn't impress me much...might check some episodes first)

FELIPE NO
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jun 18, 2009, 06:55 AM Local time: Jun 18, 2009, 02:55 PM #8 of 11
fuck yeah new Aika and Birdy the Mighty (even if it's just one episode), I'm all set for this season already.

God I hope Eva 2.0 makes it to this year's Love & Anarchy. Probably not, but it was awesome seeing the first one on the big screen and it will be awesome seeing this one on the big screen.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Boo-kun
boo u

Member 311

Level 20.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:26 AM Local time: Jun 18, 2009, 05:26 PM #9 of 11
I could list this and that, but as usual I'll check out nearly everything and foam my wisdom around~

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2009, 09:03 PM #10 of 11
Alright, let's take a looksee as to what the next season has in store for someone who likes the most random shit possible.

Weiss * Schwarz - I still don't know what this is, exactly. ANN doesn't have anything, and I can't read Japanese, so I can't really strike this off yet.

Umi Monogatari ~ Anata ga Ite Kureta Koto ~ - "Transforming Magical Girls..." Sold.

Fight Ippatsu! Juuden-chan! - I might be the only person who is quite serious when they say that this sounds fucking awesome.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni - This is interesting, because Higurashi was oddly interesting even though I really dislike horror and cutesy girls getting brutally murdered doesn't sound like my idea of fun, but after I had finished the first season, I could not deny that the series was incredibly well done. I haven't watched Season 2 yet for the same reason above.

Princess Lover - I don't care if it's shit, it's got fucking Shiraishi in it.

Kanamemo - I have a serious weakness to anything based on cutesy girls doing anything. Double weak to those that started off as 4 panel comics.

Sora no Manimani - I'd think a Romantic Comedy show pretty much implies slice-of-life, but nonetheless, yay for more romcoms.

Yoku Wakaru Gendai Mahou - Sounds interesting enough. That and and the Fantasy/High School mix heavily reminds me of Shana.

Aoi Hana - Nodame Cantabile team? Sold.

Ookami to Koushinryou II - Just because.

Bakemonogatari - At least one worth looking at.

Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - Hopefully this one stays afloat in terms of subgroups subbing it.

GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class - 4-panel = win.

CANAAN - Seems that, unlike most people, I actually enjoyed Fate/Stay Night.

Minami-ke OAD - It's friggin Minami-ke.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei 04 - Saigoroshi-hen Sono San - See Umineko.

Utawarerumono OVA 1 - Holy crap, holy crap, holy crap!

Summer Wars - If nothing else, because the same guys that did The Girl Who Leapt Through Time did this too.

Nodame Cantabile OAD - Yay. More Nodame!

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei 05 - Hirukowashi-hen - See earlier Higurashi entry.

That about wraps things up. Fairly long list, surprisingly. I didn't think it was going to be this long when I initially read through it, but reading through it a second time, some of the shows sound really interesting, in an odd kind of way, or so I think.

Most amazing jew boots

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2009, 05:22 PM Local time: Jul 29, 2009, 03:22 PM #11 of 11
Took me awhile to get to the three episode mark for most of the stuff this season, but I'm quite pleased with what I've seen so far:

Aoi Hana
Meeting expectations though I'm having a hard time following it week by week since this is a show that's better when watched in chunks. I can't really identify with Fumi all that well, but Akira's energy is always refreshing when she does appear. How they'll seal the yuri relationship is a big question, but that's a wait and see sort of deal.

Bakemonogatari
A lot of people have looked upon this show unfavorably because of all the dialogue, little amount of action, but I've found Hitagi's speeches/lectures to be interesting because of her skill in the use of nuance as well as her flirtatiousness. The visual Shinbo-isms have been rampant but are definitely fun to watch, the OPs are excellent, and overall, my favorite show from Summer.

GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class
Can't talk about this one much since I've seen only one episode, but what I have seen was definitely good. I like the manic pacing as it makes no attempts to betray its 4-koma roots while delivering details that you'd get out of an art class. Take Hidamari Sketch, remove the day-to-day life stuff, and inject art lessons and you've got this show in a nutshell.

Spice and Wolf II
The end of episode 3 just showcased a brilliant performance by Ami Koshimizu. Needless to say, watching Lawrence and Horo interact continues to be enjoyable as the two show off a good amount of on-screen chemistry. Not too much on the economics side aside from a small bit on contracts and the economics of fads, but that's about it.

Taishou Yakyuu Musume
I was sold when this happened:
YouTube Video
Everything else about it is peachy though as I can't help but feel charmed by what the girls are trying to do. Music is also pretty awesome.

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Second best show of the season in my opinion. Mari has been the driving force behind why this series is so uplifting in spite of the tragedy. I'm tempted to say that this portrayal of reality is pretty convincing since the show doesn't skimp on displaying familial problems (overworked parents, trying to maintain a semblance of the idealized family life in the face of economic realities). Characters also have a lot of development potential, making this yet another solid offering.

Umi Monogatari ~Anata ga Itekureta Koto~
I'm not ready to write this one off yet, but it sure is tempting to call it crappy. I guess the problems are on my end in that I went into this show expecting an ARIA-esque atmosphere but instead, I get saddled with a magical girl show. That's not a bad thing per se, but Kanon's personality is irritating as all hell and unlike Mirai from Tokyo Magnitude, she really deserves a solid bitchslapping. At this point, I'm only watching this for Muramatsu's soundtrack.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni
I got what I expected from this. It's probably on par with Higurashi in bringing out that tension even if they overdo it a bit by making Maria simultaneously creepy and annoying as all hell. Still very much enjoyable at this stage in the game.

Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Got what I expected out of this one as well. Each episode has its moments and it goes to show that there's no shortage of phenomena that one can make fun of when taken to its logical extremes.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
My spheres of activity:
Anime Instrumentality Blog - Latest Music Reviews: Gundam Unicorn Soundtrack | Kampfer Soundtrack
Eminence Online (anime music reviewer) - Latest review: Noir Original Soundtrack
The Nihon Review - Latest review: Taisho Yakyuu Musume

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Summer 2009 - Don't Say You're Lazy Zzeroparticle