Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Acro-nym's Journal

Acro-nym's Journal Statistics
View Acro-nym's profile
Entries 215 entries in total [view entry calendar]
Private 2 entries are private (0.93% of total)
Views 62473
Replies Acro-nym has made 720 comments [view stats]
Comments 751 comments (3.49 avg) [view stats]
Total Props 37 props given to Acro-nym [who be proppin?]
Buddies 13 buddies
Relation You are not Acro-nym's buddy.
What's New 0 new entries since your last visit.

Create New Journal EntryView All Entries
Dec 5, 2007 - 12:07 AM
In Opposition
To oppose the newfound tyrannical power of a Judge Dredd gone mad, I summon the strength and wisdom of Johnny Alpha!

There's a bounty on Zeal's head. And this hunter is going to take it or die trying.

Currently Playing: War

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (1 plards)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #203]

Dec 4, 2007 - 09:38 AM
Setting the Curve
I just got back from the Calculus class, which I have every Tuesday and Thursday morning. Today, the professor, after going over the homework, explained some stuff about grading and the final exam. I won't tell you the details of the final exam because it's not important this entry. It's the grading system that matters. Basically, he showed the weight of the three tests we've taken compared to the ten quizzes. He then stated how this affected the overall grade. In order to determine what our overall grades are now, he averaged the various ranges of those three tests, as none of them had the same grading scale. Thus, his grading curve, if you will, is as follows:

A: 89.27
B: 79.13
C: 66.97
D: 57.43

After class (after we went over other things irrelevant to this entry), I happened to end up walking behind this group of guys outside that were other students in the class. I overheard them complaining about this curve. "How do you end up with a curve lower than an A?" For those of you who don't attend UNCG (probably almost all of you), the grading scale is the standard 10-point scale. An A is typically as low as a 90. These fellow students of mine have noticed correctly that 89.27 is lower than 90. Why is this? Because it's a curve. Do they not remember high school? No one in the class gets an A, so a teacher curves the grades based on the highest score. Grades go up, essentially. Where once a student had a B, they now have an A. Why? Because the minimum for an A is lower now.

But that aside, why complain? If the man is willing to offer you a little extra room for getting an A, what's the problem? You don't understand? Well, hell, then complain about the weighting system or something else. Don't complain about the curve, which is designed to help you. So what if you don't understand?
Be grateful.

Fuckwits.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (7 plards)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #202]

Dec 1, 2007 - 07:02 PM
What Could've Been
It's Award season again. And going over them, I realize that I didn't take the opportunity to bash my poor handling of my Clue idea last year. I don't remember what won "Worst Community Event", but that one should've at least been nominated. I know it wasn't.

I limited the number of people who could play and tried to directly port the board game onto the Internet, finding myself with players who quickly lost interest and a game that went nowhere. Deni was right when he said I didn't have a winner. (random thoughts on Deni's comment removed for tangency)

It was when I stopped trying. I might be able to make such a game work. I might be able to run such successful things as Risk, Scrabble, or Werewolf. But why bother? Others could do just as good if not a better job. They might as well. The whole point to running a game or event is so that people get as much enjoyment as possible. Not only are there people better qualified for such things (I'm particularly looking at those who normally run such events), but many of my ideas are selfish. "I've got a really good idea! People will have fun and then see how great an idea it is!" I get more wrapped up in my idea than the enjoyment of others, which is a problem.

So, no, I don't run events anymore. Because Clue sucked.

I'm going to look back over this in a couple of days and realize it's really self-defeating, depressing, and silly, aren't I?

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (5 plards)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #201]

Nov 30, 2007 - 05:38 PM
It's the Weekend
I am a student who don't do anything.
I just stay home and lie around.
If you ask me if I do anything,
I'll just tell you, I don't do anything.

I've never been tto Greenland
And I've never been to Moscow
And I never veer to starboard 'cuz I never sail at all
And I've never been to Tampa
And I've never owned a parrot
And I've never been to Boston in the fall.

I am a student who don't do anything.
I just stay home and lie around.
If you ask me if I do anything,
I'll just tell you, I don't do anything.

I've never plucked a rooster
And I'm not too good at ping-pong,
And I've never thrown my mashed potatoes up against the wall,
And I've never kissed a chipmunk and I've never gotten head lice,
And I've never been to Boston in the fall!

And I've never licked a spark plug
And I've never sniffed a stink bug,
And I've never painted daisies on a big red rubber ball
And I've never bathed in yogurt
And I don't look good in leggings...

And I've never been to Boston in the fall!

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (1 plards)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #200]

Nov 28, 2007 - 09:34 AM
Thanksgiving and a Job
Thanksgiving has come and gone. It was a little unusual this year. No turkey carving (my dad brought some turkey and ham back from something he was helping with) and no extended family. There was still an argument or two (there always is), but that only soured one day. (Should it matter that it was Thanksgiving? Hmm.)

I wish I could've played Metroid Prime 3 while I was there. But it's still loaned out to a friend of my brother's. The game's been taken to Florida, as I recall.

Yesterday, I started my job. Well, sort of. I did start training, but they can't pay me or say that I've worked until I fill out an I-9 form, which is supposedly for taxes or something. I wish I had brought my Social Security card with me. In any case, my birth certificate should be here in a day or two, and things will work themselves out.

So far, the job itself doesn't seem too hard. Someone calls, person answers as best they can. Every third call or so seems to require the aid of someone higher up (like resetting a PIN for a particular account). Amusing ones from yesterday: someone not realizing that a discolored monitor likely means that it's a monitor problem, not a computer problem, and two people not waiting long enough for their passwords to reset, as they both called complaining about it and the service desk employee was able to log in as them on the spot. They should just be more patient.

Of course, there's still a fair amount of schoolwork to do. Hopefully I can manage.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (2 plards)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #199]

Nov 18, 2007 - 03:08 AM
Fighting Sleep
I write this while fighting sleep. It's a funny state, I find, this. It's a phase where I'm just as thoughtful and observant as always (and I think people will tell you I'm not observant, considering how bad my memory is, but clearly they've haven't seen me navigate my way through long streams of people, not touching a one of them). However, I think it's the ideal state of mind to just run with a stream of consciousness. Of course, I'm not the best sort of person for that. Even as I type, I'm thinking words ahead, always on to what I'll be saying next, not what I'm saying now. My mind is ahead of where I am and, if I catch up, I pause and think of something new. So, no, I'm not the best sort for a stream of consciousness. But maybe I'm wrong and my sleep-deprived state is making me think things that aren't true.

In any case, this is an experiment. Why? For one thing, I'm not in this state often. And when I am, I'm not usually in front of the computer. I normally feel this way when I can't get to sleep. Where am I then? In bed, away from anything that can help me. I also do this because, quite frankly, I haven't made an entry in a little while. I don't want the place to go rusty. I have to dust it off sometime.

Which leads me into an interesting thought sequence. I think the reason I don't make many entries is because what I talk about, what I think about, isn't very entry-worthy. I'm good for blurbs, small thoughts. Perhaps multiple small thoughts that give an overall idea. Unless it's fiction. Then I can write and write and write as idea upon idea hits me. Look at my comic book blog (well you could if it were still linked in my signature). I actually have a tag for "Character Ideas". And the mere fact that I have a comic book blog simply means that my comic book thoughts, the majority of my thoughts it seems, can't go here. It would just be redundant. So I put them there. Which leaves this for... personal space? Life updates? Random thoughts that have no other place? No, not that last one. I dismissed that. My random thoughts are too short, too unexpanded on to be entry-worthy.

See, I used to have a rule. If I couldn't make an entry and have at least a paragraph, the entry wasn't worth making. The exceptions of course were entries focusing on a video clip or images, but that was the idea. I wanted a complete thought, something that had been thought over and not just thrown onto a page. One sentence entries were just too simple. That, and they didn't real tell much about me. Doesn't take much writing skill to write a sentence. Doesn't really reveal much character or perhaps even provide the proper context. No, one-sentence entries or slightly more than that just won't do. But perhaps I've betrayed that at some point. It happens. I know, thought, that my entries used to be really short. Really short. I can't say they never went back to that size, though.

And now I've hit a dead end. Before I was going on progression, letting the momentum of thought just carry me through. But where am I now? Not in the same conversation as before. Wait, a conversation would require two or more people. Almost said just two there. Even in this state I edit myself. Amusing. Anyway...head spinning...blurry...

Fighting sleep. That's where I started, right? I've scrolled past the title, put I think that's what I had. It's a state of mind where I'm more observant than usual, but I process almost nothing. I won't remember the details of typing this in the morning, especially if I dream. My dreams have a tendency to replace memory or maybe just morph memory. In any case, the exact memory of this moment will be lost. I'll know the details sure. Head movement. Getting into my speech. Interesting. Anyway...lost train of thought...was there a train? Maybe it's more like a plane. No, those don't connect together. They do travel far, though. Farther. And faster. How about chain? No, they don't move, unless pulled by something. I guess train will have to do. Eyes...heavy...

And I'm having trouble keeping my head up. And since I know I have things to do tomorrow (it's still before dawn, I can say tomorrow), such as draw something for a webcomic, watch some TV, and, well, I guess that's about it. Unless I want to actually do school work. Ooh! I have a book to read. I Am Legend. Want to read it before the movie comes out. I hear it's good. Just realized that was an incomplete sentence above. Still editing, you know. It was supposed to end with something like "I'll be heading to bed" or "I'll go to sleep now" or something like that to show not only that this entry is coming to an end, but so is my day, which start at 11:00 and ends whenever I go to sleep, which should be shortly after this. Not that I know when this ends. When I get tired of typing? When I stop having thought? Oh, I hope it's not the latter. That would take a while. I'm not sure I have the stamina for it. Not good with stamina, I'm not.

I really must be heading to bed. Heh. Actually used "heading to bed". Amusing. But, yeah, that's what I'm doing. Good night, GFF. See you when I wake up (as this is my homepage).

Night.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (0 plards)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #198]

Nov 12, 2007 - 06:37 PM
Moving Up in the World
As of the Tuesday after Thanksgiving (the 27th) I will be a working man. I've got a job with the school tech support desk. Not the best of jobs, I suspect, but it'll do.

Woo-hoo!

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (0 plards)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #197]

Nov 4, 2007 - 12:50 AM
In Honor of Ace Combat
YouTube Video

Currently Playing: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (6 plards)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #196]

Oct 30, 2007 - 10:19 PM
Boston Legal: The Bastard Child of ABC?
Last year was my first year of college. With a seemingly looser schedule and a greater Internet connection, I was able to defer watching shows at their regularly scheduled time with the intent of watching them online. This also helped for when I missed shows. This year, online viewing is the only way I watch NBC's Chuck.

I don't remember the reason. Something kept me busy or distracted, most likely. Whatever the reason, I missed an episode of Boston Legal last season. Having watched Dancing With the Stars online for a few episodes, I thought I could do the same with Boston Legal. I knew that ABC's online video player had lots of options. After scrolling through them all, I realized that Boston Legal wasn't one of the shows offered online.

I brought up Dancing With the Stars. I didn't notice it then. Maybe it didn't happen then. This year, though, the results show seems to be running longer and longer. It seems to cut into the time of the next hour. Tonight, it had to have done so. My computer clock said 10:05 when the results show went off, which at most meant that Boston Legal was starting two minutes late. Two minutes isn't a lot, granted, but it shows a lack of respect.

Another thing that shows a lack of respect is ABC taking Boston Legal off for a week in favor of some special report. There was at least one such report last year, though very likely more than that. Last week, ABC aired a special report on the wildfires in California. I somewhat understand Fox's need to break shows' seasons with the World Series, as that's a major sports event found only on their station. But how much more can one about the wildfires that they couldn't find on a national news network or in the spotlights they receive on the evening news or even in the articles in the local paper? I didn't watch the news. I haven't for a while. Was there enough unmentioned items that they needed a whole hour?

Am I reading too much into things or does ABC just not care as much about this show as it does the rest? Is there a lack of respect toward its own programming? Maybe other stations do this to shows I don't watch. Heck, ABC could do it to shows I don't watch. But I don't have experienced this kind of compounding with any other thing I've seen.

Currently Playing: Strontium Dog

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (3 plards)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #195]

Oct 29, 2007 - 11:35 AM
A Great Weekend
I went home this last weekend mainly to go to the Renaissance Festival over in the Pineville/Concord/Charlotte area. The best part of the day was early on when Zilch the Torysteller was on fire, with tangents including flooded Arizona lake beds and a run of spoonerisms describing/playing off of cleavage. The jousting was a little better acted this year and they incorporated a new setup early on, which was appreciated. Plus, I finally had soup, although it was really just broccoli and cheese with lots of cheese.

I also read comics, hung out with my family, and slept in the disaster zone that is my old room. My brother still hasn't gotten Metroid Prime 3 back, so that was disappointing. And my sister spent little time at the house as well, which was also unfavorable.

Overall, though, it was a great weekend. I've brought Strontium Dog: Search/Destroy Agency Files 03 and I Am Legend back with me to read. It should be a good week.

Currently Playing: Strontium Dog

[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #194]

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Acro-nym's Journal