Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Dubble's Journal

Dubble's Journal Statistics
View Dubble's profile
Entries 36 entries in total [view entry calendar]
Private 1 entries are private (2.78% of total)
Views 25098
Replies Dubble has made 307 comments [view stats]
Comments 240 comments (6.67 avg) [view stats]
Total Props 211 props given to Dubble [who be proppin?]
Buddies 58 buddies
Relation You are not Dubble's buddy.
What's New 0 new entries since your last visit.

Create New Journal EntryView All Entries
Sep 29, 2007 - 10:09 AM
ITE: Moving Day - Weeks 3 Through Five
Grateful
Man, this has been a busy 3 weeks. Hard to believe so much has passed between now and the last time I updated. I have a lot of things to update you guys on but not a lot of time to dwell on them as I need to be at my new place between 12 and 1, so without further ado: BULLET POINTS, GO!

- As stated, in the entry title, today is moving day and I couldn't be happier. It's taken me one month, four lost apartments, living in my friends apartments and feeling terrible about it, and several money-draining trips between New York and New Jersey to pull it off, but I finally did. I'd actually had an apartment lined up in Hoboken the third week and was all ready to move in - had the deposit check and everything - and then, after two days of calling and never having heard from the girl whom I was to be sending my money too, she texts messages me in the middle of nowhere during class like "OH IM SORRY I SOLD IT THREE DAYS AGO TO SOMEBODY ELSE LAWL HOPE U FIND SUMTHING." Which (considering i was only supposed to be staying with Kirk for 1 week, 2 weeks tops) put me in a horrible position.

- So I was back to craigslist and apartment hunting when, 2 weeks later, I came across this place in East Orange, New Jersey: $600, all utilities included, cable and internet included, parking included, laundry in the basement, train station within walking distance, and the actual room itself is huge (far larger than anything I'd seen for equal or nearly greater than the same price). The part of East Orange I'm in is actually rather nice and quiet. It's an older building but looks to be maintained and well kept. Plus, it's not far from Pete at all and my commute to Manhattan is FAR shorter than the dreadful 2, almost 2 1/2 hours on a bad evening, it takes to get to Kirk's place in the North Bronx. Unfortunately, the room itself would not be available for me to move in until January thanks to a temp tenant (long story) so my roommate and I struck a written deal that for the first 3 months my rent will effectively be halved until it is and I still have plenty of room to actually breathe/get accustomed to the place. The guy whom I'd be rooming with is my age, also a grad student, black guy, really cool, etc. All things considered, everybody has been telling me that a deal like that is nigh unheard of in NYC/NJ and I can see why. This city is freaking expensive as hell. Thankfully, now that I am in a place of my own, I can begin buying groceries to offset the horrific cost of eating out in Manhattan everyday - that has otherwise been pillaging and killing my wallet dry. I honestly don't see how people can do that and live there. Then again, I don't quite understand how people can live in Manhattan to begin with, but I'm a guy who prefers open spaces and quiet time anyway, so there ya go.

- I have good friends. If it were not for Kirk most likely I would be sleeping/brushing my teeth in the computer labs discreetly for three weeks. Here's a friend who's let me FAR overstay my welcome for what was almost a full month. I've made it a priority not to mooch off his food (only taking a hot pocket or a small dinner when I was actually there and he was making stuff) or mess his place up with my stuff - minus the clothes for washing I have to sort through now. And I've made sure to stay in the city as long as I could on many a day, so he'd have time to himself and I'd be out of his hair. The last thing I ever want to be to someone is a burden and Kirk has made me feel more than welcome. I think I'll prbably give him something this month to help him with his rent as its the least I can do for bumming off his living quarters for so long. As a matter of fact all of my friends have been great about helping me to get settled and feel welcome up here be it on the phone or online or whatever, so thanks.

- Job wise things are great! I start work on Monday in the Interior Design department (one floor above my classes) as a part time Computer Lab Assistant. I'll be working the full 20 hours which will help me in paying my rent and leave me with a little left over for savings too. Alternatively, Irene (Pete's fiancee) recommended me to a friend of hers who was looking for someone to teach cartooning at a community center down in Newark. I showed the guy my website and references and he loved it. I start work there sometime at the end of next month - two days a week (Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings) for 8 weeks, 2 and a half hours at $35-45 an hour which ain't half bad. I'm really looking forward to both actually. The lab job because I don't have to commute anywhere for it, I can make out my own schedule, and I can still do my work should I need to; and the cartooning job because it sounds like a lot of fun and it'll be great on my resume, which is in bad need of something new (OH GAWD I'M GONNA BE A CARTOONING TEACHER GONNA DIE NOW). It's a bit strange because I'd always shied away from teaching largely because that is what my mother has been for many years. She's one of those teachers has a reputation as a bit of a hardass but still gets respect (and still has time to joke with her students). I saw what she goes through every day (experienced it as a sub in Birmingham before I left). Truth be told, I had no problems from the kids when I was a sub, but I think that if I ever did teach as a career I'd only want to do it on the college level. High school attitudes tends to exasperate me. XD

- Cinnamon altoids are nasty. XP

- Rockerfeller Center is obscene. I never want to go out that way and get caught in the Today Show tourist pandemonium.

- Nintendo World is SEX. That is all.

- I've decided that I will probably get a Wii sometime next month as a gift to myself for getting up here. Is it so wrong to indulge in selfish fun once in a while?

- I spent the night at my brothers firehouse a week or so back and got to ride in the engine to a fire. GOOD GRAVY THAT WAS FUCKING AWESOME. I felt like a little kid living out some kind of bewildering dream. Hell, the whole experience was freaking awesome. I see why my brother loves it so much. Firefighters are amazing, amazing guys and all of them get mad respect from me.

- Laptop wise I have decided against a Mac for several reasons. I will get a proper Mac eventually, but now may not be the best time to do so. For the moment I have decided on a Tablet PC (Do they even make Mac tablets?). I need something that doesn't have Vista on it (good gravy, that OS is a piece of crap), has wacom capabilities (I was going to buy one before I left Birmingham and am glad I didn't), and will, most likely, be extremely powerful in the long run (I need something that'll handle Maya renders sometime down the line). I'm thinking of maybe a Toshiba. I'm gonna be blunt here, I need something that is pirate friendly as I cant afford a lot of software and dont have the time to A) hunt things down and B) pirate for a Mac which I know is not exactly hard, but a lot of programs for the PC aren't easy to deal with on a Mac and I just don't feel like dealing with that hassle on top of everything else to be honest.

I'm leaning towards this model and customizing it to my specs.

In total it'll probably run me about $1800 which is a bit steep I guess, but something I can afford. I have not made the purchase yet and probably won't until the second or third week in October. What do you guys think? Do you have any reccomendations besides this one or any input that may be helpful?

- Looks like I wont be in Birmingham to get my clothes, computer, and other assorted sundries at least until the end of October. Whenever it happens I'll have to make a 4 day weekend out of it. Whatever time is best that I can coordinate with my brother. Until then, I'm making due as well as I can. When I get my address I'll post it here under a private entry so you all can mail me COOKIES.

Time to go. I have to meet this guy between noon and 1. It's already nearing 11 and I havent packed yet. You all take care and I'll catch up with you all soon.

Currently Playing: Nothing

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [2] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (2 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #15]

Sep 24, 2007 - 10:30 PM
Work in Progress - Opinions?
Productive

REALLY MESSY LAYOUTS! YAY!

Since my move to NYC in the past few weeks, things have been something resembling madness so I don't really have access to a computer that I can call my own - BUT I managed to find a scanner here in the SVA labs that I could use to at least get work onto my external should I need to. So, I decided to scan two pages that I've been working on in the past three weeks while on the trains/in the labs.

Basically these will be the Chapter 2 title pages for CNW and TT similar to what I did here:

http://chipandwalter.cartoonsdammit....mageField.y=12 - CNW: Chapter 1
http://chipandwalter.cartoonsdammit....imageField.y=9 - TT: Chapter 1

If I could redraw my entire earlier archive I would, but for now, new title pages will have to suffice.

Anyways, as you can see the r/b layouts are INCREDIBLY messy and undone (especially on CNW II) but all of those reds, blues, and smudges will be cleaned up and nice once I get my computer back (someday ) and put everything into Photoshop. I showed them to one of my teachers today and he really liked it considering they were introductory splash pages and not comic pages but wondered if they were too immersive because there was so much stuff on the page. I do tend to crowd a lot in on the panels nowadays, so I'm wondering if I should take it to heart (it wasn't meant to be a scathing crit, but something that he did notice about my art in general which I can't help but agree with) so I was wondering what you guys think. Less is more? Just enough chaos as is?

Longer entry on my status in NYC and how I'm doing to follow.

Currently Playing: DK VS Mario II - Mushroom Mayhem (1st Floor)

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [19] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (10 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #14]

Sep 8, 2007 - 12:51 PM
ITE: NY City, Week 2 - Of Classes & Apartments
accomplished
Hey guys! Week two of me being in NYC has finally come upon me. Technically this is week three but I condensed the first one and a half weeks - Travel VS Arrival - into my previous entry. Today I am typing my entry from the public library in Harrison, New Jersey (Just southeast of Newark about 15-20 minutes or so from my older brother Pete's house).

So far things have been transitioning smoothly in terms of school but very bumpy in terms of apartments. I couldn't be happier having an established group of friends and acquaintances that I can talk to already up here. It's weird being in school again - sitting at a desk, taking lecture courses, sitting in the labs and meeting other like-minded people - but this is a good weird. So far I've met a good amount of companions and we've formed something of a clique already, all of them in the masters program. One awesome cat in particular is named Tom - a cartooning major and currently in the same grad program that I am. He's got a brother named Mike and when they stand together they look like an inverted Mario and Luigi (Tom, stocky and wearing green, Mike, slim and wearing red). XD There's only two other black guys in the class besides me - a cat named Jelani from Florida and another whose name I cannot spell and don't want to risk butchering from Maryland. They both seem really cool also. I'm not surprised that there are so few black people in the Computer Arts program in general though. I learned at SCAD that we seem to be a very rare breed as opposed to the graphic arts focus. My classes seem to be a mix of 3D animation and programming, meaning that for the first time in 10 years I am almost on totally foreign territory. This both excites and terrifies me. Due to Labor Day weekend, I won't have my first Monday class until next week, which I'm pretty sure worked in my favor. My schedule goes something like this:

-Digital Compositing: haven't had this class yet
- Unix: Programming, seems a little complicated - like a more complex DOS - but feels like its very easy to learn once you get the hang of the commands
- Computer Systems: Easy class where we learn Windows, Mac, Linux and a lot of hardware based stuff. This would seem like an Easy A but we started out learning binary numbers and how to add multiply, subtract, and divide them. HOLY GAWD. Lots of work but easy if I keep up with it - plus, the teacher is young, loud/talky/forceful, and a little but bonkers, so that's a plus. ^_^
- Digital Arts Seminar: No credits here, but a mandatory lecture series from digital artists/animators all over NYC. We started with the head of the department and it was actually kinda interesting.
- Animation Culture: Think animation history but a little bit more involved
- 3D Modeling/Animation: My final class for the week will wind up being my hardest for sure. This one will be learning the basics of Maya. I avoided it like the plague while I was at SCAD because it was bulky, complicated, and I couldnt make any sense of it. Now I cannot do that because this is the path that I chose. I'm going to purchase a manual, probably bootleg it as soon as I can seeing as how I just cannot afford it (OH GAWD SON OF THE RETURN OF THE COLLEGE BUDGET), and study that shit over and over until it is RAW. So far it seems learnable, just takes a lot of dedication.

I'm 99.9% positive that I am going to buy a laptop. I wasn't going to at first but I see now that this is a necessity. Since I have a PC at home and its tricked out the way I want it, I've decided that it would probably be in my best interest to get a Mac. I've never had a Mac before or really used one in detai - the computer labs however are LOADED with them. I need to learn how to use them anyway for graphics purposes so I figure, what the hell, why not? This one guy had a Toshiba that had a swivel monitor that doubled as a wacom. I was in awe of it as he pulled out his light pen and drew on the monitor. It wasn't a Mac but he said it ran him about $1300. Pricey but somewhat ideal seeing as how one of the things I had planned on buying in B'ham was a wacom (I'm glad I waited). I dunno if I can do the swivel thing (sure is neat), but if I can get a mac laptop with a wacom style monitor and the light pen, that basically kills two birds with one stone. The SVA computer store opens on the 14th I think. I'm going to price there and at the apple store to see what I can find. If you guys have any ideas or know of anything that could be of help, don't hesitate to point me in some good directions.

Speaking of SVA, it feels smaller than SCAD which surprised me. SCAD is spread out/laid back but SVA feels more compact/focused. Perhaps it is the fact that this is graduate school and I am allowed to take branching paths in what suits my career goals, but I feel a lot of focus in what we need to do here. I don't know what else it is but I get the feeling that it was intense trying to choose people for the program. There are only 80 students that were chosen (I don't know if thats for the CA program or for a whole). I know SVA is supposed to be one of the big three art schools in the US, but I get the idea that I kind of accomplished something that I will never quite be sure of the scope of given how many of our teachers tell us congratulations for passing the portfolio requirements and getting in. There seems to be a real sense of "Congrats, you made it, now prepare to buckle down..." that I get off of a lot of faculty, and it gives me something resembling a very odd buzz of which I am not quite sure about how I feel.

New York is so big...the only two burroughs I have not been to are Queens and Staten Island, but they will have to wait. I think I could explore this place for years and never see or experience all of it. It and the surrounding burroughs and states feel like Atlanta quintupled and put on crack. Manhattan in particular is just so busy. It never stops moving and never shuts down like a constantly-in-construction machine. Some places are quiet, some places are rowdy, some places are rough looking on the outside but worm on the inside, and there's just so many people. I neither lie or exaggerate when I say that I've encountered more people and cultures and languages than I ever have in my life. It's like a modern day urban style Mecca. It's intimidating and busy and always changing. I understand why NYC and its surrounding areas have the many repuations they have earned, both good and bad. (SIDENOTE: Taxicab drivers *WILL MOW YOU DOWN* if you let them. Considering that I've nearly been hit by one 3 times by guys that don't talk like they can speak the queens english, I am never going to get in one of those asinine things. XD)

I'm in awe of my brother. He's been great in helping me to get acclimated and find a place VS keeping on me/keeping an eye on me about all this. I drove by his firehouse (he wants me to try and spend the night there and meet his battallion after I get settled) the other day while looking for apartments and happened to pass by there when the firetruck was being pulled into the station. Pete wasn't on duty and I was by myself, but still. I listen to him tell me of what its like to fight fires and how intense and incredibly dangerous it is. It makes me worry also but that's what little brothers do. Imagine what it's like to ride that giant truck or rush into a burning building where the fire is white hot and roars with the intensity of a malevolent living beast. Pete is getting ready to take the captain's exam. He doesn't think he will pass but he was offered it amazingly early. Both I and Daddy have said that it will be good to take it to at least show that he eventually wants it and he thinks so too. I was over his house before we got ready to go out for the day and I looked through his textbooks. The stuff they have to know, scientific, physical, and mental. You always have to be at the top of your game and know so much. He showed me the construction of a house and how lots of urban buildings are made so cheap and how its detrimental to firefighters. Then I think of his family: his wife and kids and how gentle he is with them but rowdy and takes no shit on the outside and I can't help but have mad respect for him. I really appreciate having an older brother.

When I get settled I need to buy the laptop, an earpiece for my cellphone, and get the plates changed on my car. Driving around NY and NJ with Alabama license tags makes me a definite target. I've already got one parking ticket (hydrant parking does not work the same up here as it does down south. That was an ouchie...) - I do not seek to accumulate more.

Finding an apartment has been my only hassle. This shit is HARD. I'm in my third week and still havent found anything decent or come VERY close to getting something and lost it (part of why I'm in the library now is to look for more places today and tomorrow as I exhausted my resources yesterday). It didnt help that the bulk of my searching began on Labor Day weekend and was hindered by school. Thankfully I have all evening classes with the exception of Wednesdays and Thursdays. Fridays are off. One day I had 6 apartments lined up to see. The next morning, I called to confirm a time to come out there and 4 of the 6 had already been sold out. Yesterday I went to look at about 5 apartments. For one the super never even showed up, the other two were being renovated, kind of looked like they had bug problems and massive cleaning that needed to be done and wouldnt even be ready till early october, another was ratty and kind of expensive, but bar none the worst was this little hole in the wall in an area that Pete told me to avoid, but I had to be stupid and see it anyway. I waited 15 minutes for this aged super to get there (apparently the supers don't live on the premesis unlike down south), then I walk into this building that looks like something out of those ratty coming of age movies where someone moves to NYC and moves into the shittiest apartment they can find (Think Peter Parkers apartment in the Spiderman movies but skankier and ickier). We walk up this claustrophobic staircase and the super rattles the door lock. It doesn't open. So this old guy is like "Hold on a minute."

He opens the window, crawls out onto the fire escape, pulls out a screwdriver, JIMMIES THE LOCK ON THE FUCKING WINDOW SO HE CAN BREAK INTO THE PLACE, then busts the lock out from the inside of the apartment so he can open it up. I'm standing there with my mouth gaped open in awe like "WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?" right? So he hobbles out and is all "Don't worry about that lock, if you're interested in the place I'll fix it before you move in, you betchy!" and I'm just like "Holy freaking damn." So we walk into the apartment (it's a studio) and out of nowhere this smell that's akin to centuries old cat piss overwhelms me. Like the place had not been cleaned since the dawn of fucking time. I look at the bathroom and ironically it's the only nice thing about the apartment (why there was Poohbear and Eeyore wallpaper though, I will never know.) The floors look clean but then I get wise and examine the corners. ARE THOSE RAT DROPPINGS?!? I open the cabinets - HELLO CRUSTY LOOKING ROACH MOTEL!

I tell the guy thank you and I'll let him know. I haven't called him back since. Afterwards I call Pete and he goes "Didn't I tell you to keep the fuck out of that area? I should have gone with you. STAY AWAY FROM OSBORNE TERRACE, JON!" XD

I had one apartment IN MY HANDS and I lost it late last night. Told the guy I was gonna take it, was ready to pay and everything before his roommate said not to make any final decisions just a few hours beforehand because he wanted to show it to a friend. =\ The place was nice, cheap, and within commute lines too. I can't fault the guy for wanting to respect his roommates wishes, its just that our timeframes were different, so what can ya do? I told him to keep me in mind if it doesnt work out and i haven't found anything because we seemed to get along rather well (though the scary bit about that is that this guy has the same name as my very first roommate at TSU - though his last name was Berry and this guys last name was Barry). Today I have two places to look at: two girls looking for a guy roommate over in Jersey City (I have no idea what that will be like). Rent is cheap but I'm looking at it this afternoon. The ideal one though is this place in JC Heights which I cant see until Sunday night. The price will come out to around the cost of the place I just lost yesterday. I'd split utilities with the guy and its just a few minutes walk to the nearest rail. I'm thinking that may be my best bet, but I still want to look between now and then to see what I can find. I don't want to impose on my friends any longer (they've been so nice letting me stay with them and I'd feel wrong to extend that if I have to), so I'll be staying with a distant relative in the Bronx for my third week as my backup if this doesn't work out. I hope and pray that it does because I'm really worried about all this. Jersey is ideal for me to stay at in terms of what I want and what I need, but I *need* a place to get settled very soon and time is ticking. =\

I'm trying to stay out of the city if I can (mostly because of my car, taxes, my brother, and general expenses) so I want to stay in Jersey if I can. Preferably the Newark, Kearny, Hoboken, Weehawken, Jersey City, Orange areas. I need something cheap to fit my budget. I don't have much so the most I can afford is 650/700 bucks which is what's making this so hard to accomplish (believe it or not you can find places with or without roommates that can fit this but you have to snatch them quick). I've been on craigslist and rent.com which is how I've found about 85% of everything I have looked at. If you know of any other outlets, let me know, but hopefully the apartments I'll look at today and tomorrow will solve the problem. Hopefully... =\

I should get to work. It's 1:44 and I have a lot on my palette between now and tomorrow (I need to apply for jobs today also). Ya'll take care, wish me luck, and I'll check in with everybody next weekend. If you've called me and haven't heard from me, don't worry as I'll get back to you soon. Things have just been busy and erratic so I'm not settled in or may just be occupied is all.

- Dub

Currently Playing: none

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (9 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #13]

Aug 28, 2007 - 03:55 PM
New York, New York
Satisfied
Well.

Here I am. New York City.

I'm currently sitting in the library computer lab at SVA dolling out this journal entry from a city that is in many respects very foreign to me. Visiting my firefighter brother Pete previously, or taking a tiny tour of Manhattan with Kirk and Katrice it all feels very different now. I actually live here. This isn't like Atlanta - the largest southern city - or Los Angeles which was a whole different beast altogether. This is New York City - so large that it takes three states just to cover all the people, places, and things much of the world has to offer.

I love it.

To let those that don't know catch up a bit, ever since I met my big brother for the first time I decided that I needed to make advancements in my life and take initiative. I credit that chance meeting as the impetus for a lot of big changes - one of many being the decision to go back to school. Graduate school in particular. So I did something that I decided against when I first began college, and I concentrated all of my efforts on NYC and the School of Visual Arts. I didnt do undergrad here instead of SCAD because I didnt think I had any family here, but now I know different.

I was so burnt out when I finished SCAD that I'd had enough and swore off school for the rest of my days. But you know what? I'm really looking forward to this and I really do love it. This isn't the same feeling I had when I was in California. This is different and I don't know how to explain it. Even though I am totally flying blind and on my own here and I really do feel like I can make this work. Already I am learning the trains and why people don't drive in Manhattan and learning that the expressways inside the city are a meandering clusterfuck of twists and turns unlike anything you've ever seen (this is the most unnecesarily complicated city I have ever seen), and nearly got ran over by a taxicab twice but that hasn't bothered me. I think it isn't the annoyingly overeager happiness of Cali I am feeling, but perhaps that non-nervous twinge of content that's all so rare in life that's really fueling my desire to see this all the way through. Very similar to how I felt when i left home and started college in the first place.

So far I don't have a place to stay. Due to a misprint, it seems that I don't start classes on the 14th as I'd suspected, but the 4th - which means that for all intents purposes, I cannot return to Birmingham. This does make me a little sad as i won't get to say goodbye to my friends like James (who's training at the police academy) or my friends Damian, Tasha, and Charles over in ATL, or even see some of my cousins off properly - though - those that wanted to call to check up on me have done so and I don't think the others would really want to do a big thing anyway. I didn't think that I would feel bad about not giving Bham a proper send off - but no matter what happens here, I truly believe that I was far unhappier there feeling unaccomplished in both life and goals and just sitting around daily doing nothing in particular.

At any rate, this week I am staying in Brooklyn with my good friend Ian J (Nockforce/RPG World). I've known Ian for what i think we calculated as just a little over 10 years. Even though the majority of that has been internet time, I consider him to be a good pal and someone whom I can talk to about industry/professional stuff in a casual sense. The guy's got mad talent and is incredibly nice to boot. Next week I will be staying with my friend Kirk - of whom the main character from one of my webcomics - was named. Kirk and I have always had that rival type relationship where we can insult each other (usually him at me XD) and still be excellent buddies about it. I look forward to seeing him again.

God willing, the third week I should have a new apartment. So far I've been trolling craigslist and came up with a large selection of places to begin looking at come Friday. Pete and I decided that we want to be close to each other so he can keep an eye on me and I can be close to the family but its probably best that i don't stay in certain spots of Newark even if they are cheaper A) because I'd rather not come home dodging bullets/getting mugged every night and B) if anything happens to me, Pete would rather not have to venture to one of the shadier parts of Newark just to fuck somebody up (My big brother is awesome XD). All things considered, I will most likely end up in Jersey City, North Newark, Weehawken, The Oranges (the most likely candidate so far) or perhaps Hoboken - basically somewhere that's close to the trains and Manhattan where the commutes are not long and the apartments are far cheaper.

During my trip here I spent the night with my father where we had a long talk. I didn't tell mom about it. I'm still not quite comfortable telling her that I stayed with him even though she already knows that I talked to him quite a bit. It's a white lie I'm not very proud of, but it's something that I needed to do and - truth be told, I am glad that I did it, because it went really well. I met my aunt who was absolutely one of the most loving people ever, and a cousin who mom considers to be a really good person (the person who originally mailed my letters to Dad as a kid). I left there feeling far more confident and assured of the tasks ahead of me than when I left - but overall I think I felt a little more complete. I don't agree with everything my dad does or has done in the past...but...I was very appreciative of what he did for me that night. It was a long talk that I don't think I'll ever forget for many years time to come.

After that I had lunch with Ian Flynn (current writer of Sonic) down in Charlotte. We talked Archie stuff and got underway on a special project that the two of us are working on which I see good things coming from. Then I spent 2 days in Baltimore with my good friends and colleagues David Gerstien (my current editor at Disney Comics) and Travis Seitler (art editor buddy with whom we had lunch). I had Indian food for the first time and left my sketchbook and medical forms there in total panic. Without Travis I'd have been screwed. (If you're reading this, thanks buddy!)

I'm looking forward to the School of Visual Arts. The campus seems almost smaller than SCAD, yet just as big. Perhaps that's because it's located in the heart of Manhattan and all of the buildings are within walking distance unlike SCAD's which are bus oriented in nature. Speaking of which, Manhattan is huge. It's amazing the people you find here. I've never seen so many different ones. I mistook a group of hacidic jews for amish folk to my embarassment. Mexicans, Cubans, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Chinese, Japanese, African, Jamaican, Haitian, White, Black, Gay, Straight, Lesbian, Russian, British, Australian, Italian, Punk, Goth - I've met ALL OF THEM so far and I have only been up here for one day. I dont think there's any other place in the world quite like that. It's an extreme culture shock compared to Birmingham. That's for sure.

Heh: Country mouse and city mouse.

Computer Art/Animation and cartooning on the side...I'm finally getting my master's degree.

I wont have proper internet access for several weeks I suppose, and even if I do get it I don't know what kind it will be. For now, I am content with spending a few hours in the computer lab catching up with net life at large and exploring the many, many, many streets of Manhattan. Walking is a way of life here and I forsee myself losing a lot of weight in the process. Perhaps I'll have pasta for lunch at this little restaraunt called Lamarca just down the street. Maybe pick up a smoothie later. I'd forgotten how many friends I had here, and how nice it is to appreciate the family that I have near me. I should call mom later. For now, real life beckons and I don't think that I would have it any other way.

Currently Playing: No music. Hum of AC

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [1] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (6 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #12]

Jul 11, 2007 - 11:22 PM
BRUSH YO GOTDAMNED TEETH
YouTube Video

**DYING**

Currently Playing: Guess, stupid.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [10] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (5 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #11]

Jul 11, 2007 - 11:01 AM
The Golden Compass, Harry Potter, Gall Bladders, Artwork, and School
Thinking
So I haven't been around much lately (either here or on GFChat) mostly because A) I've been incredibly busy as of late and B) I've found myself devoting to a lot more personal things in the free time that I do have (IE drawing, reading, gameripping, playing my DS to unwind, or watching my mom post-surgery).

First things first, I have to say that Denicalis is incredibly awesome. I'd meant to post this earlier but just didn't get around to it. We were talking on MSN when I'd made mention that I saw a trailer for The Golden Compass during FF: Rise of the Silver Surfer (no I didn't pay to see that abomination and even after seeing it I *STILL* wanted my money back :P)and didn't know what it was. Deni promtly educated me on the series and extolled its virtues like it was freshly made chocolate fudge out of a candy store. I made mention that since I needed a new book to read in-between Harry Potter and finishing up Steven King's The Dark Tower series, that I'd make an effort to head down to the library and snag a copy for reading. Deni would have none of that, and even after a minor protest of sorts by me, kindly asked me for my addy and proceeded to snag a copy off of Amazon for me. It was a terribly nice gesture and wonderful thing to do.

What I didn't expect several days later upon getting home from a rather arduos day was that he got me all of the books in the entire series.

So far I'm about halfway through The Golden Compass and will probably finish it by the end of the week. I haven't been able to put it down. It's a terribly good book and its instilled me with a sense of wonder that I haven't quite found since i read the entire Chronicles of Narnia series back in middle school. I still have to finish The Dark Tower (I kind of stalled on Book Four) and Harry won't be here for a little bit, but the adventures of a little girl named Lyra and her daemon familiar Pantaliamon have certainly reingnited the joy of curling up on my bed and reading a good book. (PS Giant Armored Polar Bears and loud Texans with Hot Air Balloons are RAWK.) If you haven't read it yet and are looking for a good book to read, check it out.

Also, if you haven't done so already, please rate Deni a 5 because he is full of candy canes and awesomesauce.

Speaking of Harry: tonight I'm going to go see Order of the Phoenix in IMAX. I've never been to an IMAX theatre before and Birmingham Alabama's been going all ga-ga stupid since the McWane Center announced that they'd be showing it in thier theater tonight, so I figured - what the hell? Now as much as I like the books (not a wacko fan of them but I like em lots) I've never been too hot on the movies. I dunno what it is but all the cutting down of the story is both good and slightly irritating at the same time. Five was not my favorite book, but did have my favorite villian: Dolores Umbridge - one of the few literary villians I utterly and totally despise, so i'm curious to see how Imelda Staunton will fare. FYI, there were three movies that I *had* to see this Summer and Harry was coincidentally not one of them (Transformers, Ratatouille - which I still havent seen yet, and The Simpsons being the ones in question) so - not sure what to expect out of IMAX but here goes nothing. **shrugs**

In other news:

Mom had surgery about a week or so ago for removal of her gall bladder and I have to say that it sucks coming to the realization that your parents are getting old.

She scared the flying purple shit out of me the first night I took her to the hospital. She was in TERRIBLE pain and by the time we got to the emergency room she was throwing up with an amazing ferocity that I had not seen since I was sick and in the hospital with gastro-interitis. Turns out that she had shingles and what we didn't know but found out later was that said shingles were affecting an already bad gall bladder which was only operating at 23%.

She had something done called laprascopic surgery which involved four tiny incisions (one at the belly button, two at the stomach, and one on the side). She was out within a day but was very nauseus and weak afterwards. I'm glad that I had not left for school when this happened because no matter how small they say the surgery is I still would have been terrified not being there with her. Her bandages were soaked in blood afterwards (which worried me) and she could barely get around from hobbling and such, but lately she's been in good spirits. Yesterday, the doctor removed the bandages and her stitches should heal over time. She's really become concious now about what she eats - having only dried fruit for breakfast and baked foods for dinner and I'm thinking that perhaps I should do the same.

I stopped working out when I left college due to lack of access to a gym/laziness on my part and I always said that when I moved I really wanted to get back in shape and eat healthier as I've kinda let myself go. My grandma died of heart problems and I dont wanna sufer the same fate as her, or the current issues of my mother. It's weird though....

My father has had at least three surgeries on his heart (I think). Yet...I don't really feel the same amount of worry for him that I do my mom. I kind of feel bad about this, but then again, I was not raised with him for very good reason and I'm not quite sure HOW to feel about it. It's a very strange experience.

AND FINALLY:

I've set a goal for myself. I move to New York/New Jersey for school in September and I've told myself that I want to have two Sketchbooks filled with comic strip art by the time that I get there. One with comics that I'll put up for Chip and Walter, the other for Time Trouble (my two webcomics). So far my goals are coming to fruition. I'm already well past the 250 mark for CNW and have a healthy chunk of TT layed out in the other book. I've started drawing a lot in blue pencil lately A) because I really want to shave my drawing speed and cut out the middleman. Speed has always been a problem with me professionally and the more I learn new tricks to shave off my time the more I want to try them out. B) I like to experiment. I want to ink on the blue pencil and then digitally extract the blue out via channels in photoshop. C) it's really forced me to take a good look at my layouts which - prior to revisiting my art style post Sonic - sucked.

The pictures above are artwork from two strips that I decided to throw out for now. Really, really rough blue pencil layouts.

I'm pretty pissed at myself because I spent damn near a week and a half trying to lay this out properly and make the dialogue work, but I just came to the conclusion that I was trying to introduce a main villian (Professor Nigel Nutshell) and the concepts surrounding him far too early and trying to shoehorn him in now would be detrimental to both the flow and coherency of the plot. The strips without this entire sequence simply work a hell of a lot better.

I may use the art later but for right now I don't think its wise. You can tell where I had a lot of trouble due to the constant erasing (something else I need to revise about my art personally.)

A lot of people have wondered why I haven't spoken about my Disney work yet. That's because theres not much to speak about. I'm still in negotiations with Egmont about things and while I've already had at least 3 books come out from Disney with my name in them they've mostly been on the writing end and not artwork end of things. Which I have to admit, has me very dissapointed because of my love of the pen. So far I have done penned Mickey Mouse stories based on total rewrites of the original foriegn artwork: "By Twilight's Bite" (an Egmont story), "The Great Gawrsh-Durn Champion" - a story for Goofy's 75th anniversary, and "The Sacred Spring of Seasons Past" which hasn't seen print yet. the latter two are very special to me because they were originally done by Romano Scarpa who was considered to be one of the great Italian Disney masters. To be given access to his work and write it in my own flair while staying true to the source material has been great fun and a wonderful learning experience. But I really wish I could flex my muscles more creatively with what I want to do. Perhaps when I get the chance I'll post some pre-production Disney artwork I've done to gauge what people think of it.

Maybe when I move and begin graduate school in September, more doors will open up for me. I'm content for now, but I can't help but be slightly dissapointed because while its great to work with Mickey Mouse of all characters, I have so many ideas and know I can do so much more if I was just given the chance and opportunity to really shine...

I should cut this entry short as its become far longer than I expected. Perhaps I'll post some more artwork later.

Take care.

Currently Playing: Nothing

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (5 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #10]

Jun 29, 2007 - 01:03 PM
Kittytitties
Response to: The only things people care about are boobs and kitties. by Alice

Originally Posted by Alice
The only things people care about are boobs and kitties.
LETS TEST THIS THEORY.

WHAT IF WE COMBINE THE TWO?!

WAIT...WHAT?!?!

OMGWTFNO!

in conclusion: THEORY IS FAIL.

GOOD DAY TO YOU MA'AM!!!

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [5] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (4 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #9]

Jun 20, 2007 - 12:29 AM
MEME IS OVER

When this starts airing on CNN I am officially through with the world. XD

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [12] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (22 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #8]

Jun 14, 2007 - 10:11 PM
ITE: Colonel Sanders gonna fuck you up.
Response to: (Deleted Entry)

YouTube Video

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [4] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (5 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #7]

Jun 12, 2007 - 08:38 PM
Terry Tate: Office Linebacker
silly
"Some people said I was crazy when I brought Terry on board, but I'm a firm believer of paradigm breaking."

YouTube Video

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [12] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (3 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #6]

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Dubble's Journal