Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Amusing] My Achievements. Let me show you them.

DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2008, 08:16 PM #26 of 54
I remember when developers would put in real challenges with an actual purpose, and you would actually get rewards. Now, you get a worthless number next to a disgustingly compressed and pixel-neighbor resized "gamerpic." Am I cool yet.
Developers have done stuff like this for years, they just weren't called achievements. Like optional dungeons in RPGs where you get uber gear. Uber gear that you don't need because the enemies you beat to get it are harder then the last boss. Or games that have unlockable artwork, does anyone actually look at the artwork after they originally unlock it?

There's nowhere I can't reach.

"Out thought and out fought."
Scarletdeath
♪♫ SCARLET●D ♫♪

Member 87

Level 26.97

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2008, 08:19 PM Local time: Aug 5, 2008, 09:19 AM #27 of 54
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune trophies now available!
Wow, that is bloody retarded. I wasted plenty of time getting all medals and perfecting the save, and now they want us to redo everything. To hell with that.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:16 PM #28 of 54
does anyone actually look at the artwork after they originally unlock it?
I've actually wondered this myself for a long time. Anyone know someone who does this? If so, please give them a wedgie on behalf of sane people everywhere.

I mean, sure, the artwork unlockables are neat, but... those always felt kind of half-assed. "Oh, let's just scan some pieces of paper I have lying around and make them do stupid shit to be able to see my doodles I drew while I was masturbating."

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:47 PM #29 of 54
I've actually wondered this myself for a long time. Anyone know someone who does this? If so, please give them a wedgie on behalf of sane people everywhere.

I mean, sure, the artwork unlockables are neat, but... those always felt kind of half-assed. "Oh, let's just scan some pieces of paper I have lying around and make them do stupid shit to be able to see my doodles I drew while I was masturbating."
Do you mean any type of artwork such as the illustrations in Soul Calibur IV or Heavenly Sword? If so then Consider myself Wedgie'd.
Yeah its a very dumb and simple feature but I enjoy looking at the sketches and the art styles especially when I can't find that artbook online. Basically I enjoy them because I see the way it was colored or the way it is outlined and try out that style for myself or just enjoy the texture of the clothing or background so I can do such things as create fanart or original artwork in that style.
It's a bit geeky yes, but I think/hope that I'm not the only one that does this ~_~

How ya doing, buddy?

New Record!

Last edited by Shenlon; Aug 5, 2008 at 09:49 PM.
Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:37 PM Local time: Aug 5, 2008, 09:37 PM #30 of 54
I just remembered something about achievements that made me angry. A story, in fact. About me and a member of GFF and longtime friend of mine, Rotorblade.

I am not so great at Dead or Alive. Not because of any specific reason, just don't really give a shit. I find out one day that my friend has Dead or Alive 4, so I figure what the hell, let's give it a shot. Anyway, the little cocksucker counters everything and I wish he'd die. Pick something other than Ayane you fucking asshole.

This goes on for a while, until I see *gasp* an achievement! *Gasp* TWO achievements!

Achievement Unlocked: Ten Straight Losses.

Achievement Unlocked: Achieve Grade "D"

They are both worth 0 points. So why do they exist? To remind me that I lost TEN TIMES IN A ROW? So people can see it and think I'll be an easy fight? Those were fucking stupid. As soon as I got them, I put the disc in the case, and put the case on a shelf, and have yet to even consider opening it again. That could also be because it's pretty shitty, but whatever.

Most amazing jew boots
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:59 PM Local time: Aug 5, 2008, 10:59 PM #31 of 54
I just remembered something about achievements that made me angry. A story, in fact. About me and a member of GFF and longtime friend of mine, Rotorblade.

I am not so great at Dead or Alive. Not because of any specific reason, just don't really give a shit. I find out one day that my friend has Dead or Alive 4, so I figure what the hell, let's give it a shot. Anyway, the little cocksucker counters everything and I wish he'd die. Pick something other than Ayane you fucking asshole.

This goes on for a while, until I see *gasp* an achievement! *Gasp* TWO achievements!

Achievement Unlocked: Ten Straight Losses.

Achievement Unlocked: Achieve Grade "D"

They are both worth 0 points. So why do they exist? To remind me that I lost TEN TIMES IN A ROW? So people can see it and think I'll be an easy fight? Those were fucking stupid. As soon as I got them, I put the disc in the case, and put the case on a shelf, and have yet to even consider opening it again. That could also be because it's pretty shitty, but whatever.
This is the first good usage of achievements I've seen.

FELIPE NO

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Aug 6, 2008, 12:07 AM Local time: Aug 5, 2008, 10:07 PM #32 of 54
To remind me that I lost TEN TIMES IN A ROW?
YOU'RE THE MAN NOW D--*headshot*

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Kanzaki
Chocobo

Member 16476

Level 9.00

Dec 2006

Old Aug 6, 2008, 12:37 AM Local time: Aug 6, 2008, 12:37 AM 1 #33 of 54
Developers have done stuff like this for years, they just weren't called achievements. Like optional dungeons in RPGs where you get uber gear. Uber gear that you don't need because the enemies you beat to get it are harder then the last boss.
Yeah, beating those optional dungeons is not exactly rewarding, cause most of the time those dungeons are harder and a waste of time.

Or games that have unlockable artwork, does anyone actually look at the artwork after they originally unlock it?
No, if I want the artwork, I just download it.

But yes sometimes I try to get the artwork or all achievements in general, just cause I don't want the screen to have the "Locked" or greyed-out image on it.

And showing online some kind of unbelievable achievement will get you flamed, and people will just say how "non-lifer" you are. :/

How ya doing, buddy?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Aug 6, 2008, 01:05 AM Local time: Aug 5, 2008, 11:05 PM 2 #34 of 54
Quote:
Yeah, beating those optional dungeons is not exactly rewarding, cause most of the time those dungeons are harder and a waste of time.
Some of us play games because, you know, we hope they're actually fun.

Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2008, 01:32 AM Local time: Aug 5, 2008, 11:32 PM #35 of 54
FUCK YOU BOTH FUCK YOU BOTH FUCK YOU BOTH FUCK YOU BOTH!!!!!!!

Most amazing jew boots
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2008, 05:53 AM #36 of 54
You obviously haven't seen the N+ achievement for dying 1,000 times.

Kudos to anyone who can actually beat that game without getting it. ;_;

I was so CLOSE god damn it.

#654: Braixen
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2008, 07:10 AM #37 of 54
You get an achievement for pressing START in the Simpsons game. Its literally called "Easiest. Achievement. Ever."

I was speaking idiomatically.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2008, 08:02 AM #38 of 54
You get an achievement for pressing START in the Simpsons game. Its literally called "Easiest. Achievement. Ever."
One could argue the Soul Calibur IV achievement for sitting through the opening movie without skipping it is easier, since it requires you to do absolutely nothing except turn the system on.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Kagosin
Why don't you look at it.

Member 4108

Level 17.96

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2008, 08:26 AM #39 of 54
Some games do make rewards for that. Take Persona 4 for example, to get "such-and-such" character's secret weapon, you kill "this" extra boss in "that" dungeon. Not to mention, with some people, taking on the optional dungeons is more of a set challenge for them. You may think it's a waste of time, but then later on, those optional dungeons could turn into something to go back and to play and test your ability on.

And showing online some kind of unbelievable achievement will get you flamed, and people will just say how "non-lifer" you are. :/
They're just jealous.

FELIPE NO
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2008, 08:31 AM #40 of 54
One could argue the Soul Calibur IV achievement for sitting through the opening movie without skipping it is easier, since it requires you to do absolutely nothing except turn the system on.

Guitar Hero 2 has the same thing. Just watch the closing credits and turn your TV off (It has to be about 15 minutes long)

punkmaggit
Oh! I Feel it! I feel the Cosmos!

Member 4088

Level 9.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2008, 09:41 AM Local time: Aug 6, 2008, 06:41 AM #41 of 54
Late to the conversation, I know, but originally I thought the achievements were part of the microsoft points, in that you could earn achievements and then buy some of the XBLA titles with the points you've earned.

I don't own a 360, so I'm assuming alot of the achievements are rather difficult to get and you can get up to 1000 per game, correct? If Microsoft would've ditched the whole 800 pts. = 10 bucks and gone to a straight 1-to-1 system, then it could've worked theoretically.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
What's all this?
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2008, 03:10 PM Local time: Aug 6, 2008, 02:10 PM #42 of 54
No, it wouldn't have. Devs determine what achievements their games have and what the point value for that is. Difficulty doesn't correspond with point value. You'd be giving some people free content for no work and some for some actually difficult tasks.

Not only that, free games for playing games in and of itself is retarded. Thinking "well, it could have worked" is completely ridiculous.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Aug 6, 2008, 04:16 PM Local time: Aug 6, 2008, 02:16 PM #43 of 54
Maybe it couldn't have worked, but it would have been pretty rad.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2008, 04:20 PM Local time: Aug 6, 2008, 03:20 PM #44 of 54
And I'd like free groceries because I eat a lot. Still a ludicrous idea.

russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2008, 04:34 PM Local time: Aug 6, 2008, 03:34 PM #45 of 54
What? In the US, it at one time was not uncommon to get free food when you had eaten a lot. For example, if you were to eat 50 subway sandwiches, you could get a free subway sandwich.

How ya doing, buddy?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Aug 6, 2008, 04:41 PM Local time: Aug 6, 2008, 02:41 PM #46 of 54
They still do that actually. Except you cheat and get free food without actually ordering the meals, russ.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2008, 11:16 PM Local time: Aug 6, 2008, 09:16 PM #47 of 54
Late to the conversation, I know, but originally I thought the achievements were part of the microsoft points, in that you could earn achievements and then buy some of the XBLA titles with the points you've earned.

I don't own a 360, so I'm assuming alot of the achievements are rather difficult to get and you can get up to 1000 per game, correct? If Microsoft would've ditched the whole 800 pts. = 10 bucks and gone to a straight 1-to-1 system, then it could've worked theoretically.

That is exactly what I thought Achievements were at first. Imagine my dismay when I found out it was for epenis enlargement.

I really dislike Achievements as I feel that they add very little to games. Now I will admit that sometimes they are done right, Mass Effect, but generally they're just lazy and are granted for doing the critical path. Oh great I completed the first level. Wow 100 points! Oh I used the power for the first time that is necessary to complete this puzzle. 20 points! I don't seek out Achievements. Assassin's Creed's collect all 50 million flags? Yeah fuck that. I did collect some because they were there but I did not seek them out. I know you don't have to get them but they are generally forced down upon you just by doing the critical path. And they detract from the experience, at least I feel they do, as they sometimes pop up during a cinematic that is supposed to be poignant. I know that they can be turned off but that turns off all notifications so sometimes I don't know when my friends message me or whatever. However again that's a plus if playing a serious game.

I can tell you my most annoying Achievements. It was crushing 500 cubes in WALL-E while I was testing it. I can get 100 of the energy cubes no problem. But getting the rest is just tedious. I would complete the critical path and then go back to the first level and sit there for about 15 or 20 minutes just crushing cubes in order to get the damned Achievement for unlock. Will I do that again to get 1000 points? And waste 3 hours of my life? Fuck no!

Either way I know they're here to stay so I just end up mocking them instead.

How ya doing, buddy?
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:15 AM Local time: Aug 6, 2008, 11:15 PM 1 #48 of 54
I love this shit. Then DON'T GO FOR IT, SMARTASS.

If you're testing it to make sure it pops, that's your job. But if you're just playing the game, fucking ignore them and move on. They are not DETRACTING FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE. Why do you make it out like they are? No one's going to care if you have them or not, they're there for your own enjoyment if you decide to pursue them. That's all.

Fucking rocket science here.

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Aug 7, 2008 at 12:19 AM.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:21 AM #49 of 54
The only problem with Achievements is that the information on how to get them is widely available. If they were just little rewards that popped up as total surprises, they'd be a net plus. As it is, people make these CHECKLISTS and go fucking OCD about the whole thing because THEY MUST CATCH THEM ALL.

Achievements are fine. It's Collectorfaggotry that annoys people.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2008, 06:20 PM Local time: Aug 7, 2008, 03:20 PM #50 of 54
I like Achievements, personally. The stupidly easy ones like "Press Start" on The Simpsons or "Start a New Game" on Soul Calibur 4 I could do without, but otherwise, I think it's a lot of fun completing these challenges. Dead Rising had the most fun Achievements I've seen yet, and like someone mentioned before, you actually get rewarded for some of them. I haven't played Mass Effect enough to get those kinds of Achievements yet, but I intend to. One day.

I only have a problem with them when people online try to help each other during matches to get them and completely disrupt the game. Like one time before a Halo 3 match, a few faggots were talking in the lobby and decided they all wanted to gather by the Sword and let themselves get killed for the "Kill three people in three seconds" Achievement. So I beat them to the Sword and killed all of them, netting the Achievement myself. They were so mad, it was quite hilarious.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Amusing] My Achievements. Let me show you them.