Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Advice / Help on AMD CPU

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jun 11, 2010, 05:18 AM Local time: Jun 11, 2010, 03:18 AM #1 of 4
Advice / Help on AMD CPU

Sup,

So I recently got a new cpu cooling fan for my computer, however I was evidently careless and bent a few of the pins on the processor when removing the old stock cooler (The thermal cooling stuff had made it stick to the stock cooler and somehow it got bent in the removal process), and while I attempted to push them back into place as gently as possible, I apparently didn't put it back perfectly so now the processor doesn't work. It was completely my fault and I'm just letting you know to give some context to my questions below.

My main question: With the same socket type and motherboard, would one of you hardware-savvy GFFers be able to let me know of a possible upgrade CPU that could just be set right in?

If not then I'll just order a duplicate and be on my way.

Another thing I'm wondering: If I were to get a different, but similar CPU, would I be able to simply start it up like normal, or would it be more complicated then that? My cpu is an AMD Athlon 62, but let's say I get the Intel Core i7-920, or the Intel Core 2 Duo, or the AMD Phenom II X4, or something like that (As an example): would I be able to just set them in place, put my cooler back on, plug in all the cables, and start up my computer? (Meaning, a straightforward process)

I know these questions may seem basic, or stuff one should be expected to know automatically or even incredulous, to someone who's got a lot of experience with installing computer parts. That person is NOT me. I am very much a beginner is that respect so I am asking everything I can think of, so that I may know and not have to deal with a repair shop possible down the road.

Info:
Motherboard: GIGABYTE MA78GM-US2H
CPU (Now inoperable): AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Black Edition 2.7GHz

Thanks a lot if you can help me out. Installing the new cooling fan was a lot more work then I initially expected and I fear I am in over my head, especially now that I need to either get a duplicate of my current CPU, or carefully figure out about possible upgrades which would be compatible with my other hardware.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:07 AM Local time: Jun 11, 2010, 08:07 AM #2 of 4
Quote:
Supported CPU
CPU Socket Type AM2+/AM2
CPU Type Phenom FX / Phenom / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64 X2
FSB 2600MHz Hyper Transport (5200 MT/s)
Any CPU that fits into that set will work on your motherboard. You won't be able to change to something such as Intel since there's completely different chipsets and whatnot required.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:20 PM Local time: Jun 12, 2010, 08:20 PM #3 of 4
Alright thanks Racin! I don't suppose there's some website where I can find CPUs based on that set? Google searches just turn up the motherboard I have, along with similar types, but I guess I'll just have to google-fu better. In the meantime I went ahead and got a duplicate anyway, just so that I have my comp up and running in a few days.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
LIAR
AND ITS-A ME, WA WA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:02 AM Local time: Jun 15, 2010, 08:02 AM #4 of 4
Going to any computer hardware website such as newegg will allow you to narrow a search by socket type.

ex: Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,CPUs / Processors,Processors - Desktops,AMD go here and select "AM2" or "AM2+" for chips that work on your chipset.

As far as swapping processors go, as long as they're the same chipset, it'll work just fine dropping it in without doing any changes. However, a different chipset means a different motherboard, which can also mean different other things. :P

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Advice / Help on AMD CPU