Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Anti-Aging Drug Discovered

RattyHair
Yeah. Something like that ^

Member 8641

Level 1.21

Jun 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 03:27 PM #1 of 25
Anti-Aging Drug Discovered

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/tech...9433511780.htm

The article:

"A team of South Korean scientists on Sunday claimed to have created a ``cellular fountain of youth,’’ or a small molecule, which enables human cells to avoid aging and dying.

The team, headed by Prof. Kim Tae-kook at the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, argued the newly-synthesized molecule, named CGK733, can even make cells younger.

The findings were featured by the Britain-based Nature Chemical Biology online early today and will be printed as a cover story in the journal’s offline edition early next month.

``All cells face an inevitable death as they age. On this path, cells became lethargic and in the end stop dividing but we witnessed that CGK733 can block the process,’’ Kim said.

``We also found the synthetic compound can reverse aging, by revitalizing already-lethargic cells. Theoretically, this can give youth to the elderly via rejuvenating cells,’’ the 41-year-old said.

Kim expected that the CGK733-empowered drugs that keep cells youthful far beyond their normal life span would be commercialized in less than 10 years.

Other researchers here heaped praises on the discovery but they were cautious about the practical therapeutic application of the new substance.

``Obviously, it is an innovative finding. But we need to see whether or not CGK733 could really rejuvenate cells inside human bodies without generating side effects,’’ Prof. Kim Sung-hoon at Seoul National University said.

Prof. Kim Tae-kook, however, is confident about the commercial viability of CGK733, believing the efficiency of the material was created using state-of-the-art magnetic nano-probe technology.

``We have the magnet-associated technology to identify molecular targets inside living cells, which allowed us to examine the mechanisms of CGK733 directly,’’ Kim said.

``Unlike other research teams that must make candidates materials for drugs without being able to see their intra-cell activities, we know the precise mechanism of CGK733. So we have the better chance of making a success of the substance,’’ he continued.

Indeed, Kim basked in global recognition last June when he and his associates developed a technology dubbed MAGIC, short for magnetism-based interactive capture.

MAGIC uses fluorescent materials to check whether any drug can mix with targeted proteins inside the cell. The results were globally recognized by being printed by the U.S.-based journal Science at the time.

``MAGIC is kind of a source technology to see inside cells. Based on the method, we also found a pair of promising substances that can deal with cancers,’’ Kim said."

So, what does everyone think?

Could this possibly be another hoax, like that one thing that happened with the cloned baby? Or do you think this is the real deal? If so, what could the possible repercussions of such a thing reaching the mass-market?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Jun 20, 2006 at 03:32 PM.
Dubble
The Hero of Mouseton VS The Phantom Blot!

Member 297

Level 32.26

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 03:30 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 02:30 PM #2 of 25
The vain get vainer, the rich get richer, the botox gets botoxier, and the grim reaper gets cheated out of some schmuck kicking the can when he's supposed to.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 03:41 PM #3 of 25
Great, now how am I supposed to collect that insurance money.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 03:45 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 12:45 PM #4 of 25
Originally Posted by Eleo
Great, now how am I supposed to collect that insurance money.
More like how are you supposed to find any old men to date now amirite.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 03:56 PM #5 of 25
The critical question here is how the "molecules" will be introduced to the body. Topical cream? Inhalation? Pill? Injection? All have different absorption rates and each will have a tremendous impact upon where the molecules wind up.

If this "molecule" is only good for external use, I expect it to be a tad disillusioning. Although the patient may look better and psychosomatically feel better for it, this wouldn't prevent the aging of the internal organs.

Expect this to be an overpriced plaything of the wealthy, and an object of obsession for the young and shortsighted. Vanity would seem to have blinded us from the natural order. While there may be no initial side-effects, it is impossible to know what sort of horrible problems this elixir could cause after thirty or forty years of use. Cells are not meant to live forever. The fact that they die and are replaced is a sign that our bodies are working as they ought. Growing older is a purposeful and natural progression. It is only through the ignorance of our materialistic culture that we don't fully comprehend the value of the elderly. Playing God like this is dangerous.

I also call into question the socio-ecological ramifications of such a product. Humans were designed to live for a while, then die, thus fulfilling the natural cycle. We've conditioned ourselves to fear death, so we'll do anything to cheat it. But when mankind begins to live longer, this could put tremendous strain upon the planet. I believe that some of our healthful advances already have had an adverse effect. It seems that viruses and disease must grow more virulent each day just to thin us out in order to restore some balance.

As far as I can see, this discovery only spells trouble.

I was speaking idiomatically.
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 04:00 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 02:00 PM #6 of 25
Crash is right, cells aren't meant to live forever. A better way to go about doing this is to make it so that a cell can replicate an infinite number of times without degredation. This is called "Biological Immortality" and there are certain types of cells and even living organisms that are biologically immortal. The hard part will be discovering how to do this to ourselves.

I, however, would not want to live forever.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 04:08 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 03:08 PM #7 of 25
Originally Posted by Crash Landon
Vanity would seem to have blinded us from the natural order. While there may be no initial side-effects, it is impossible to know what sort of horrible problems this elixir could cause after thirty or forty years of use. Cells are not meant to live forever. The fact that they die and are replaced is a sign that our bodies are working as they ought. Growing older is a purposeful and natural progression. It is only through the ignorance of our materialistic culture that we don't fully comprehend the value of the elderly. Playing God like this is dangerous.
Quoted for myriads of truth.

A great idea and intention with more problems than solutions. So the cell that needs to die stays alive? What's so great about that? Seriously, there are reasons for things happening in our bodies, and screwing with them like this is not wise.

FELIPE NO
~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)
Visavi
constella

Member 5648

Level 18.32

Apr 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 04:22 PM #8 of 25
On the one hand, I am not a huge fan of synthetic drugs unless it is absolutely necessary. The side-effects to this kind of treatment could be devastating, and for those who believe in conspiracies about the FDA and the Government, there are allegedly medicines on the market that create new symptoms/diseases and supposedly trap individuals into a cycle of medication. Then again, some of the conspiacy theorists who believe this also believe that suntan lotion has properties that are more likely to give you skin cancer than the sun itself. This would probably be for the rich and I seriously doubt that it would help people live a lot longer.

However, America has this belief that older citizens are a drain on society rather than experience intellectuals who can deliver the best wisdom. Those who are middle-age and drowning in debt could use this drug to stay at work longer and have a better chance of avoiding forced retirement if they look better and not like they're 75. Many employers judge by appearance, so this could give some people a better opportunity at getting hired for a job. They may be more respected in their fields of work if they looked younger (but not too young).

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek
Crash is right, cells aren't meant to live forever. A better way to go about doing this is to make it so that a cell can replicate an infinite number of times without degredation. This is called "Biological Immortality" and there are certain types of cells and even living organisms that are biologically immortal. The hard part will be discovering how to do this to ourselves.
Do you think this drug, if the story is true, could open up the door to the possibility of "Biological Immortality"? I don't know a lot about cellular biology, so I was wondering if it could or could not be a step in that direction.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

"Oh, for My sake! Will you people stop nagging me? I'll blow the world up when I'm ready."--Jehova's Blog
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 04:36 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 09:36 PM #9 of 25
Just what we need, people who live even longer. Because, you know, it's not like we're heading towards dangerously over-populated anyways.

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 04:37 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 02:37 PM #10 of 25
The largest single concern with the 'fear' of death, at least from my perspective, is that no one is CERTAIN of what will happen after someone dies. Yes religon says you'll meet your spritual creator or whatever, but we just don't know WHAT will happen. There is no concrete put-it-on-the-examination-table evidence as to what happens.

If we were to find out THAT, then maybe not so many people would try and cheat the grim reaper (OR it could be the reverse: MORE people try and cheat death).

I'm taking a couple grains of salt with this, because we've heard many times before in the past of a 'Fountain' of youth. Doesn't matter if its some prestigious scientific group making the prolimation, we need to see COLD HARD PROOF that this molecule can do the damm thing.

Changes I PREDICT in society from the use of this in the next 50 to 100 years (SHOULD THE ABOVE ARTICLE PROVE TRUE):
1. More people will accept adulthood easier because they know they can retain thier youthful looks longer.
2. In group-based cultures (Japan, India, Parts of Europe) the elderly may be seen more in respect then they already are, where as in Individualistic cultures (The US, Australia, Parts of Europe) they will be come to be shunned or pitied.
3. In like 50 years or so, People who retain thier wrinkles will become rebels or iconic representation of natrual life cycle.
4. A split of culture sense will develop between those who constantly revive thier bodily tissues and organs and those who can't or won't go through the processes.
5. The computer industry will probably push for longer service terms (For ex: Microsoft would support Windows Vista 5 years longer then it plans to now)
6. The two-term limit will be repealed, and an exceptionally well qualified man will be the US President for decades, given the ability to continue to perform on the job much longer then normal.
7. Death WILL come, but much longer, and I expect the death of a loved one to have more impact and meaning then it does today.
8. Makeup Companies will shift thier base industry into cosmetics which contain the molcule and will push heavily with marketing for "TRUE" Revilalift makeups and "Age Defying" creams.
9. The insurance industry will come to blows as thier policies are continued much longer then they anticipated, and they are not in a situation to adjust for the cost. Lawsuits claiming 'unfair change of policy' will ensue.
10. Sadly, since youthful looking skins and a youth-oriented culture will probably develop, there will be a rise in the number of sex crimes against minors (Under 18) as Teens are now seen as cult-objects.
11. Ironically, now that teens are the dominant culture force in america (Currently it is the young 20-25 year old) there will less suicides since more people will listen to thier stupid emo bullshit. However the transition to adulthood will be laden with depression cases because they are no longer part of the 'scene'.
12. Late in the 21st Century, it will be considered a social taboo to tell your real age in public (Regardless of Gender) and the information will only be on IDs.
13. More fictional stories about Death and the Afterlife will develop.
14. A different culture of astinence and safe-sex will push the chinese government to developing safer ways of having sex without
having children as to stop the predicted over population increase(Maybe called "Double Over Population"?). This will lead to
pregnancy seen in China as a sacred event and one to be 'greatly' appreciated.

Last edited by Dark Nation; Jun 20, 2006 at 04:42 PM.
Deusanimus
New Old Timer

Member 8449

Level 4.76

Jun 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 04:42 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 04:42 PM #11 of 25
I wouldn't exactly trust South Korean research. just look at the cloning fiasco. And apparently they have research proving room fans kill people.....

Actually, I wouldn't trust South Korean anything. They have one corrupt, sick, and deranged culture. And all the guys act gay.

But, lets act for a second like this was an actual discovery. This could have a great impact, if it could prevent cellular aging, because of the effect it would have on the human nervous system, which as most of us know does not reproduce. By enabling the cells to "live forever", you would help stop the degeneration that is inherent with age, perhaps actually letting older people keep their minds and thier sanity.

And of course the vanity issue, but thats been beat to death.

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Last edited by Deusanimus; Jun 20, 2006 at 04:47 PM.
Excrono
HD-497

Member 141

Level 14.84

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 05:47 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 04:47 PM #12 of 25
This would be a tremendous breakthrough if true (discounting all of the potential ramifications already brought up.) However I will have a hard time believing it until I can see a few additional sources to back up the credibility of the story. It just seems too good to be true.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Shonos
Tooken.

Member 438

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 06:03 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 04:03 PM #13 of 25
Why take this anyways? Dont get fat, keep yourself fit and healthy, exercise alot, and take care of your body. You'll end up looking younger than your actual age. Alot of people get older and still look 10-20 years younger. All because they didn't sit on thier asses inside all the time stuffing thier mouths with butter 24/7.

Being unhealthy and overweight is one of the main causes of aging too quickly. Dont get this way and you'll slow the aging process down.

Just keep yourself healthy and you can stay young for free without having to pay for a drug that might even have negative impacts on the body. =/

How ya doing, buddy?
Stuff goes here~
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 06:33 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 06:33 PM #14 of 25
Also, expect this to look like complete and utter shit in its early stages ;D Side effects may include smurf-blue skin.

Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 06:38 PM #15 of 25
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G
More like how are you supposed to find any old men to date now amirite.
Oh yeah I hadn't even thought of that.

FELIPE NO
McCloud
Currently hates his username.

Member 4413

Level 10.62

Apr 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 07:38 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 06:38 PM #16 of 25
After that whole dog-brain-playing-quake article, I'm not buying into this. It sounds amazing, to be honest, but the chances of it being true? Slim, at best. I'll accept it's true if given some hard evidence, but for now I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

The above statements may or may not be true.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 09:20 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 07:20 PM #17 of 25
I'm sure it's entirely possible, however I think the ramifications of it should be completely understood before administered to the general populous.

packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 02:53 PM #18 of 25
Originally Posted by Gechmir
Also, expect this to look like complete and utter shit in its early stages ;D Side effects may include smurf-blue skin.
That brings to mind the book by Frank Herbert "The Heaven Makers," where there was a species of artificially long-lived aliens(literally immortal) who looked just like normal humans except they were small and had blueish skin. Read the book, it is compelling. I won't spoil the plot by giving anything away. ;-)

The truth of this matter is that the drug does not really prevent aging. The only thing it does is block cellular senescence, which is one of the programmed methods that cells die. When a cell divides enough times, the telomeres shorten, and genetic defects accumulate. Senescence is observed to be activated when DNA has experienced a certain number of mutations. Without this function, the odds for someone to get cancer is significantly increased, as potentially cancer-causing cells are no longer destroyed, and continue to propagate.

CryHavoc
Catherine Bell <3

Member 8369

Level 18.10

Jun 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 02:54 PM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 10:54 PM #19 of 25
If it's possible then i'm all for it, as an Aethiest i believe death CAN be cheated, given the right tools.

But as a believer in science (which swings me both ways) i believe it will only prolong the cellular life cycle, not make it infinite. The human body is too complex to be handled that easily with that much precision.

I'll stop to note that most (not all) people who claim they do not want to live forever are hypocrites. You will know so yourself when you ponder death and what it means to 'vanish'. It scares the shit outta me, i know that much.

Technophile
With my hands...Be My Last

Member 680

Level 19.53

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:05 PM #20 of 25
Even if this is true and possible, I'd imagine that the insurance and general health companies will fight this thing with tooth and nail to make sure it doesn't take off. If this comes true, a lot of really powerfull people will lose a lot of money.

Most amazing jew boots
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:30 PM Local time: Jun 22, 2006, 09:30 PM #21 of 25
This sounds almost like it inducing cancer to a certain extent. What follows is just me trying to recall what i learned in grade 10 science. Cancer cells lack a certain chemical that causes aging and dying in cells, called something like p53. What is described above sounds like it could involve this, potentially leading to more cases of cancer.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 04:25 PM Local time: Jun 23, 2006, 03:25 PM #22 of 25
A magic pill that reverses aging? Hooooooax. No such thing, kids. It may be the American dream, but there is no such thing as a magic pill that cures everything.

Cells that don't die at their appointed time are called cancer. Even if this drug actually does what it claims to do, extending the life of all cells in the body would be catastrophic. Many of your cells are supposed to die and be replenished - skin, for example. There are a multitude of simultaneous factors that all contribute to the syndrome known as being old, and simply taking a magic pill that vaguely revitalizes cells is not going to reverse it.

We'll see just how well human trials really go.

Beck
Banned

Member 8900

Level 1.00

Jun 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 07:04 PM #23 of 25
God i really hope this is for real, the thing i fear the most is aging, i don't want to get old.I see those skinny old dudes on the street, with the pants up to their chests that just depresses the fuck out of me..i would rather die young~ish(40's)..seriously.

FELIPE NO
Qube
Banninated

Member 23

Level 15.40

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2006, 09:42 PM Local time: Jun 25, 2006, 08:42 PM #24 of 25
Assuming it works and it's for real and it doesn't have evil side effects, I'm open to the idea....perhaps for a while.

The chances of it working like they say, is unlikely without weird side effects. I'd probably wait a while before ever considering trying something like this. I'm just not sure what I feel the society effects will do to me. I might not want to live beyond my years. So definitely not a light decision for some.

Hatred on the fact that I lost my old sig, maybe I'll get it back someday. Or not!
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2006, 09:58 PM #25 of 25
Yea, let's all just AVOID the things that terrify us! Thats an EXCELLENT way to live our lives as human beings, ISN'T IT?

I think an "anti-aging" drugs blueprints should be burned right along with the atomic bombs plans. Trash that shit. I understand the market would LOVE to get it's dirty little grubby hands on that shit, but seriously. How is that HELPING humanity.

People are sick in the head. This pisses me off so much, I can hardly describe how much I hate people. Can't you people just ACCEPT age?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Anti-Aging Drug Discovered