Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Your cellphone?

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 05:40 AM #26 of 48
That depends on what you use on your phones. If you enjoy smartphone features then by all means get this. Android maqy not be quitw caught up withb iphone OS, but it is getting there. My only gripe is with the physical keyboard... the fact they fit it into a phone this thin is astounding but it is so flat it is impossible to toucbh type.

It is expensive but unlike the iphone it FEELS expensive in the hand.

This post was a bitch to type on it.

Most amazing jew boots
K_ Takahashi
Banned

Member 2103

Level 26.24

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:23 AM #27 of 48
I own a Motorola W260g

makes/recieves calls with a few texts here and there. I'm not cool and/or crazy enough to put down nearly a grand for a modern phone.

How ya doing, buddy?
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 02:52 PM Local time: Jan 6, 2010, 08:52 PM #28 of 48
But nobody actually pays for a phone do they?

Handsets are always, always free, unless you're an idiot and get a pay as you go one, in which case the extra money you spend on credit rather than having a contract suggests you're made of money anyway.

How ya doing, buddy?
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 03:03 PM Local time: Jan 6, 2010, 08:03 PM #29 of 48
Either that or you just like unlimited data and don't plan on talking very much.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 03:08 PM Local time: Jan 6, 2010, 09:08 PM #30 of 48
I don't see your logic. How is Pay as you Go better in that case? Surely a cheap contract with an unlimited data add-on, given that'll you'll get a free top of the range phone when you sign up is a better option?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 03:13 PM #31 of 48
Phones are not always free. You may always have a free option, but there's plenty of phones that cost money with contract. Droid is 200 with, 580 without, for example.

FELIPE NO
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 03:31 PM #32 of 48
But nobody actually pays for a phone do they?

Handsets are always, always free, unless you're an idiot and get a pay as you go one, in which case the extra money you spend on credit rather than having a contract suggests you're made of money anyway.
I'm fairly sure we had this discussion previously and we told you the same thing Merv just did. Overseas perhaps, but here in America a majority of handsets need to be purchased at a subsidized price. The only phones that are free are the very basic ones.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 03:35 PM Local time: Jan 6, 2010, 09:35 PM #33 of 48
Actually you're right, you can't get a Motorola Milestone (As the Droid is called here) for free but only because it's not available from any providers direct, you have to buy the handset seperately at the moment. They were supposed to be available on T-Mobile but they're not listed on their website yet.

Never the less, you shouldn't ever pay for a handset. If you see one you like and a provider is trying to charge you for it, you simply ring a competitor and tell them the deal the other was offering, then ring back the original ones with the counter deal. You should never, ever accept the first deal you're offered with mobile phones, play a couple of companies off against each other and I can guarantee you'll get any handset you want for free and probably pay far below the listed contract price.

The N97 I've got is supposed to be £200 with a contract and Three tried to charge me that so I rang Vodafone, asked if they'd give me a free one, they said yes so I rand Three back, told them I was leaving and they counter-offered me a free handset.

Seriously, don't ever pay for a phone.

Edit: I think we did, Sprout, but I still think you shouldn't be paying and I reckon with a bit of phoning around you could get what you want free over there too.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 03:49 PM #34 of 48
I reckon with a bit of phoning around you could get what you want free over there too.
It's unfortunately not that easy. With Berries maybe, but many phones (and nearly all of the high-profile ones) are locked down to certain carriers over here. I read about a lawsuit or something that's being thrown at the FCC that would make phone/carrier exclusivity a thing of the past. Google's Nexus One is starting to pave the way for the much sought-after "any carrier you want" thing, allowing you to buy it unlocked for a premium, or subsidized from T-Mobile and soon Verizon.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 03:56 PM Local time: Jan 6, 2010, 09:56 PM #35 of 48
Well when you buy a phone here they're normally operator-locked (Although it's a piece of piss to unlock them, nomore than five minutes on Google) but most operators sell most phones. I guess exclusivity costs too much for the operators to bother. Either that or the phone makers themselves prefer their phones to be more widely available. As such, there are three or four people stocking each of the current best phones available so it's very easy to play them off.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 04:04 PM Local time: Jan 6, 2010, 09:04 PM #36 of 48
I don't see your logic. How is Pay as you Go better in that case? Surely a cheap contract with an unlimited data add-on, given that'll you'll get a free top of the range phone when you sign up is a better option?
I'm on pay-as-you-go on O2 with my iPhone. As long as I have credit, I have unlimited data. I inherited the handset from my brother, but 3G iPhones aren't hugely expensive on ebay.

If I had opted for a contract I'd be locked into paying at least £1000. I doubt having this phone will cost me more than £50 a year with top-ups.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 04:08 PM Local time: Jan 6, 2010, 10:08 PM #37 of 48
Fair enough, if you can get given the phone then Pay as you Go isn't quite such a bad option. I still maintain that if you're having to buy the handset a contract is cheaper in the long run.

I was speaking idiomatically.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:07 PM #38 of 48
Yeah, Shin, the big thing about phones here is that a lot of times you have to pick a carrier and then pick one of their phones, whereas in Europe it works the opposite way. Over here the carriers have no reason to try to get you the phone for free because they know if you want the phone you HAVE to go to them anyway.

That's why the basic sets ARE free, because those tend to be the ones multiple carriers have.

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2010, 06:21 AM Local time: Jan 7, 2010, 12:21 PM #39 of 48
Ah, in which case I apologise for my naivite, I assumed the business model worked the same way there as here.

It's interesting that no company has picked up the Milestone yet actually. In general I couldn't really find any carriers touting Motorolas so perhaps the brand as a whole is out of favour here at the moment or something, or they're between deals. Either that or each carrier is limiting themselves to a couple or so smart-phones to avoid stock obsolescence.

FELIPE NO
Xardion
CAT JUMP

Member 67

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2010, 03:13 PM Local time: Jan 7, 2010, 02:13 PM #40 of 48
I've still got my G1. Fuck yeah Android. Though I don't use the stock firmware. Been running Cyanogenmod for a while now.

Still, it's getting a bit dated. I'd like to get a DROID, but fuck Verizon, so I'm considering a Nexus One.

Not that I have money.

[ Patrick James "PJ" Beckett ]
Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:29 PM Local time: Jan 8, 2010, 09:29 PM #41 of 48
I intend to use mine for as long as possible. It's a Palm Treo 650:

A good old fashion TANKING smartphone, which is great because I drop it often and it's virtually unbreakable. I love it because it's so easy to keep track of my schedule and integrates well with everything else in my daily life. I don't text that often, but I do like having a keyboard that's actually easy to type. Mine's an old hand-me-down from a friend, but I don't foresee myself replacing it unless it dies and/or the battery on it explodes and it costs me more to replace the battery than to buy a new phone.

I love it because it does SO WELL in preserving its battery life. My boyfriend has the Palm Treo 680, which is the next model up, but his runs out of battery life twice as fast than mine.

Most amazing jew boots
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:26 AM Local time: Jan 8, 2010, 10:26 PM #42 of 48
...or the battery on it explodes and it costs me more to replace the battery than to buy a new phone.
It won't. When I had to replace the battery on my HTC I just looked for a replacement on eBay and I found a seller that sold me a battery/home charger/car charger package for a little over $10.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Syndrome
Esper

Member 211

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2010, 07:29 AM Local time: Jan 10, 2010, 02:29 PM #43 of 48
I have the Sony Ericsson W980:

It's a walkman phone with 8gb of memory. I don't care much for the mp3 playing ability, I just wanted a clam shell phone that looked good and wasn't to thick.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Temari
I'm changing the world. And you're gonna help.

Member 16658

Level 28.10

Dec 2006

Old Jan 10, 2010, 02:26 PM #44 of 48
Add another Sony Ericsson user to the pile:

The Sony Ericsson W760a. It wasnt exactly what I wanted when I went for a new phone, but I had it in my heart to get a sliding phone, so I picked it up. I've really grown to like it since then. No additional memory cards, dont really use it to play music or anything like that. The few times I have, the qualities been surprisingly good.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2010, 02:44 PM #45 of 48
Been using an old Razr for a while now and am happy with it. The battery was getting really weak a few months ago, and I asked myself what I’d want in a new cell phone. Got a new battery instead.

How ya doing, buddy?
slayer25k
MIMIMIN!MIMIMIN!USAMIN!!

Member 9135

Level 22.15

Jun 2006

Old Jan 10, 2010, 03:24 PM Local time: Jan 10, 2010, 09:24 PM #46 of 48
And another Sony Ericsson:

I have a Sony Ericsson K770i.
It supposed to be my mother's new mobile phone, but she gave it to me instead. I really like its bright display - no problems with reflections either! You can see everything without problems... even on the sunniest day!

And to every Nana its prey...
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2010, 03:52 PM #47 of 48

I use a Samsung Rogue. It's a nice phone, has plenty of bells and whistles, and it has an actual keyboard which was a must for me getting any sort of touchscreen phone.

Kinda kicking myself for not holding out for a few months for the Droid phones on Verizon, but my old phone was all sorts of dead so I had to get something.

FELIPE NO
Ozma
Here's Johnny!!!

Member 10311

Level 25.67

Jul 2006

Old Jan 11, 2010, 01:11 AM Local time: Jan 11, 2010, 01:11 PM #48 of 48
Seeing these, I should've made a poll instead a regular bumpy thread...oh well...

There are surprisingly lots of people here using Ericksson

Nokia, go to hell (diss this if you disagree^^)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Your cellphone?