Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Your Study Space

Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 03:12 PM #1 of 41
Your Study Space

As years go by, I find that I increasingly have difficulty studying at home. My home is very small and cramped, and the computers are in my parents room. Everytime I need to do work or write a paper, I have to go in there.

Imagine what it's like for me to pull an all-nighter writing an essay or doing research online. I have to be really quiet because there's people sleeping in the room. I have to be extra quiet even when I shuffle sheets of papers or flip through books. If I get frustrated, I can't vent and say things out loud. I can't blast music. If I want music, I need to put on headphones.

I'm sure anyone's who's been through university knows this: When you're dealing with school crap under a time crunch, every damn little thing can annoy the hell out of you. So my patience is already extremely thin, especially at 3am in the morning. On top of that, there's the grating sound of snoring six feet away from me.

The desk itself is small, cluttered, and there's hardly enough surface area to put all my notes and books. I get so discouraged by the study space that I simply don't want to work anymore.

This is NOT an environment that's conducive to working positively. For the longest time, I couldn't figure out why I got so discouraged to work. After all, I did this all through high school just fine, when the workload was easy and more than manageable. Now I realize just how crappy my study space is.

How does your study space affect your productivity and motivation to study.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 03:17 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 02:17 PM #2 of 41
Plus what if your parents wanted some "special" time and you needed to do a paper. What is that about.

I never really had any issue with my study space. I usually just turned on some music I liked and got to work. I couldn't study if I wasn't alone though. Not that I did a lot of studying in my day. Guess I was just lucky like that.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
masamune_3
Parkouring Ninja

Member 913

Level 3.31

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 03:23 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 02:23 PM #3 of 41
I find a computer distracts me too much when I'm either studying or doing homework. I especially discovered this after my midterms in october.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
That's me in the avatar.
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 03:35 PM #4 of 41
If I just need to do some reading, I obviously won't read in that room. But then again, I'm not exactly productive either when it comes to reading at home.

Oddly enough, I'm able to concentrate so much better when I'm reading on the subway on my way to class. Or I have to go to the library in order to get some reading done.

But when it comes to writing papers, I have no choice. I don't have a laptop, so I can't write essays just anywhere I want.

How ya doing, buddy?
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 03:50 PM #5 of 41
My study space happens to be my room since everything I need is in here. However, as far as the setup goes, having a TV right next to the computer can be distracting at times.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Satsujinken
~Contra Mundi~

Member 2610

Level 1.47

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 03:59 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 09:59 PM #6 of 41
I always study in front of my computer, with the music on.. I usually write (type) summaries of all the stuff I need to learn; it consumes a lot of my time, but this method works.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 03:59 PM #7 of 41
My study space is my room. I lack a computer in there since it's a family computer and it's about a floor down from room.

As far as the TV goes in my room, all it has is my PS2 connected to it. Back in Elementary, when I was in 3rd grade, my dad decided to cut the cable off from my room, since it might distract me and I would never go to sleep. So the TV usually isn't a problem.

My problem is studying in a place that's too quiet. Although I get easily distracted, as long as something's going on, it gives me more of a reason to focus on what my task at hand is.

FELIPE NO
TRZD
i'm rappity rappin'

Member 391

Level 9.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 04:03 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 10:03 PM #8 of 41
Originally Posted by Lady Miyomi
My study space happens to be my room since everything I need is in here. However, as far as the setup goes, having a TV right next to the computer can be distracting at times.
Yeah, mine's pretty much the same. Also considering I usually need to get things from the internet in order to do my work, that usually ends up distracting me for a while because I'll always end up browsing the web for "just a few minutes"... well as long as I get the work done in the end I'm not too bothered. Eventually I'll usually get into the flow and not be distracted.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 04:25 PM #9 of 41
I've never had my own room.

If I want some peace and quiet in order to my reading, I'll have to head for the library. It isn't practical because the public library closes at 8:30pm. And the libraries on campus are a 45-minute subway commute.

Elcee
Self Imposed Bannishment

Member 1350

Level 11.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 04:31 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 01:31 PM #10 of 41
Originally Posted by Timberwolf
How does your study space affect your productivity and motivation to study.
I'm very disorganized or as I'd rather put it, I'm the creative type. You see, I find that people who keep everything in its place are just too lazy to look for things. There's nothing more satisfying to me than to be able to tread through my room, kicking things over until I find what I'm looking for. Back home, my mother would take the initiative and transform my room into a mecca of order. Then, no lie, I couldn't find ANYTHING when my possessions were compartmentalized. So I'd literally have to shove everything back off of the shelves, out of the drawers, out of my closet and off of my desk. I'm an obsessive clean freak but I couldn't keep things orderly if my life depended on it. Of course, when I have a girlfriend or guests I might kick things to one side of the room.

As for my study habits, sticky notes, index cards, loose sheets of paper, a pen in every pocket saved my life. Dumping my backpack out on the bed at the end of the academic day was like playing the PowerBall. I was a straight A student through my 2 years of Psyche. To this day, I stew in the irony. I didn't have homework in Art School after that.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Syndrome
Esper

Member 211

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 04:37 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 11:37 PM #11 of 41
I understand you dislike your situation, it must be a hell

I have my own room with computer and so, but the desk is really small. Seriously, the monitor, speakers, mouse and keyboard takes up all space, so I can't have books and papers there. This mostly annoy the hell out of me if since I most often need books and papers while working. I should get a laptop and sit at the kitchen table or something.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 04:50 PM #12 of 41
Originally Posted by Syndrome
I understand you dislike your situation, it must be a hell

I have my own room with computer and so, but the desk is really small. Seriously, the monitor, speakers, mouse and keyboard takes up all space, so I can't have books and papers there. This mostly annoy the hell out of me if since I most often need books and papers while working. I should get a laptop and sit at the kitchen table or something.
I agree. It's frustrating as hell when you have tons of reference books and notes, and there's NO surface area on your little desk to put them all. For this reason, sometimes I envy people with laptops.

Yeah, I wish my set-up was better. I've actually dealt with this all my life, so I've gotten used to it. It's just the last couple of years in university -- with endless papers and research -- that have gotten to me. All of sudden, I realize why I'm so sick of writing papers, simply because of the dynamics of my work space.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 04:51 PM #13 of 41
I have problems doing work late at night because the computer is practically in my brother's bedroom and he doesn't like being bothered from his sleep. It doesn't help that computer itself is has below-average performance. Of course, I wouldn't have to worry about such things if I didn't procrastinate and decided to start working on whatever at a decent hour.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Syndrome
Esper

Member 211

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 04:59 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 11:59 PM #14 of 41
Originally Posted by Acro-nym
Of course, I wouldn't have to worry about such things if I didn't procrastinate and decided to start working on whatever at a decent hour.
Are such things even possible? :doh:

elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:14 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 07:14 PM #15 of 41
I find that the best place, for me, to study, is the kitchen table. The more cluttered the table is, the more I can concentrate. I usually have some music on, a cup of tea, and some non-greasy finger food. I used to do my homework at the computer, but seeing how easily distracted I am, that didn't prove to be a brilliant idea.

I usually have no problems when working late, especially since I concentrate better at around 11 PM. All the bedrooms are upstairs, so I probably won't wake anyone up unless I started throwing things.

FELIPE NO
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:43 PM #16 of 41
Sometimes when I'm pulling an all-nighter writing essays, I wish I could throw things.

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:52 PM #17 of 41
Originally Posted by russ
Plus what if your parents wanted some "special" time and you needed to do a paper. What is that about.
This is to be thought of but never spoken.

This sin will stain your soul forever.

I never study. I have never studied. I do not need study space, because either I remembered it, or I am memorizing it in the car.

Similarly, I dropped out of college during the first semester. I do miss that handsome Japanese fellow who liked to smoke. I didn't understand his English most of the time, but I would have banged him, easily.

Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 09:13 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 06:13 PM #18 of 41
I do all my studying and work in my bedroom. There's plenty of space to move around and to have books open on the floor, so I don't have any problems. It's always been a habit of mine to study in complete silence or if the work is light, with some music in the background.

Most amazing jew boots
Mercury Blue
Here kitty kitty...

Member 595

Level 6.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 09:53 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 08:53 PM #19 of 41
I do most of my studying in my room when it is quiet around here, the walls are paper thin just about. I have four younger siblings, loud little monsters.
But I like knowing where everything on my desk, the right kind of music (mostly classical) to listen to, and I can get my work done without pulling too much of my hair out.

Most amazing jew boots
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”

Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:07 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 11:07 PM #20 of 41
It's not really 'studying,' but I find it almost impossible to practice my viola in my own space, even though I thought that I would practice more. Even though it doesn't distract me directly, something about being in the presence of a bed causes my practice to be a lot less productive.

That said, I also hate practice rooms; I have to prop my case open on top of the piano, so there's some decoration (my viola case is filled with patches, stickers and pictures against the red velvet, so it really brightens up the drab practice room).

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 01:25 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 01:25 AM #21 of 41
I don't mind studying in front of the computer, although ti can be annoying when many people start chatting. Luckily, I do my homework and study ahead of time so that I am not cramming everything in my head in one night.

Most amazing jew boots
Lileya
Agafnet?

Member 2402

Level 2.38

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 01:27 AM #22 of 41
I don't rly have a study space. I study about anywhere : in my room, in the living room, in the bus, on the kitchen counter, etc. I always end up studying while watching TV, or listening to music, or any other distractions that don't rly affect my studying anyway. If I'm concentrated on a maths problem to solve, even a bus that crash in my living room wouldn't bother me! :O (Ok, maybe I'm exagerating a lil bit! MAYBE! )

Locke
Flying High

Member 488

Level 23.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 01:46 AM #23 of 41
Generally for me, I do much more work when I'm surrounded by no distractions (like going to a library for the whole day to write a report)

FELIPE NO
T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 02:03 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 03:03 AM #24 of 41
My study space happens to be in the downstairs den of all places where my electronics are. It can be difficult having a computer nearby, HT setup, couch and cozy bed nearby. :ashamed: What I either do is have my computer run a batch of DVD encodes for a number of hours while writing papers, completing assignments or study. What I find that helps is mainly my mp3 player, this way I'm not aware of anything going on around me. The only drawback is that I get too comfortable but I guess working well under pressure helps. :juggler:

Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 03:32 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 01:32 AM #25 of 41
Issue at my study space at home bothers me a lot as well, especially when the house is active at night.

Then again, even if I tried, there's no way in hell I can prepare on 3 exams next week and another 3 the week after next week. Heh, never thought in medicine you'd learn something new everyday, always moving forward, cramming projects within one month. It's hardwork and sometimes even at my studies, I black out. Study space sometimes helps to my advantage but right now? Nope, not helping at all.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Your Study Space