Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Best Cover Songs

Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 04:21 PM #26 of 58
Originally Posted by Shin
Bob Dylan wrote the original, I believe. Hendrix covered a lot of Dylan stuff. His version of All Along the Watchtower pissed on Dylan's too...

Dylan only wrote All Along the watchtower and i think i am one of the few who prefer Dylan's version ove hendrix. Hey joe though was written by Billy Roberts.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

[ "Talisman" ]
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 04:24 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 10:24 PM #27 of 58
Originally Posted by Iwata
Dylan only wrote All Along the watchtower and i think i am one of the few who prefer Dylan's version ove hendrix. Hey joe though was written by Billy Roberts.
I stand corrected.

There's a lot of covers of Dylan tunes I like and not many Dylan originals I'm a fan of to be honest so anything in that style I assume is by him. ^_^

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Majin yami
Callipygian Superman

Member 1810

Level 17.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 04:38 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 10:38 PM #28 of 58
Originally Posted by ava lilly
Muse does a pretty nifty cover of "Can't Take My Eyes Off You". it escapes me who the original writer of that song was though, I just know that a crapload of people have sang it.
They also did awesome covers of 'Feeling Good' by Nina Simone and 'House of the Rising Sun' by the Animals.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

>: 4 8 15 16 23 42
Long Live Lost
LiveJournal: Latest Entry: My Political Leanings.
Latest JOURNAL Entry:
ITE: I review the latest album by The Guillemots (also, exam results)

NinjaSwiftblade
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 2492

Level 2.74

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 04:44 PM #29 of 58
Mmm...covers make me happy. There've been so many good ones... but I think one of my favourites would be Soft Cell's version of "Tainted Love." I just love what they did with it from the original Gloria Jones' version.

I like the covers where the band takes the original, yet still makes it their own sound...instead of just copying the song straight up. I also enjoy the Rufio cover of Madonna's "Like a Prayer" 'cause I mean you can tell what song it is, yet they still incorporate their amazing guitar riffs. I was impressed.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Faust 72
Blue Fedora, Orange Socks!!

Member 1129

Level 7.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 06:22 PM #30 of 58
Scissor Sisters version of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Little Brenty Brent Brent
Bulk's not everything. You need constant effort, too.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 06:22 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 04:22 PM #31 of 58
You did not. =(

FELIPE NO
Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 06:23 PM #32 of 58
Also i would like to add another cover to the list.

Death's cover of Judas Preist's " Painkiller"

Faster than a laser bullet
Louder than an atom bomb
Chromium plated boiling metal
Brighter than a thousand suns

Flying high on rapture
Stronger, free and brave
Nevermore encaptured
They've been brought back from to grave

With mankind resurrected
Forever to survive
Returns from Armageddon to the skies

He is the Painkiller
This is the Painkiller
Wings of steel, Painkiller
Deadly wheels, Painkiller

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

[ "Talisman" ]
Faust 72

Member 1129

Level 7.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 06:28 PM #33 of 58
Originally Posted by Brent
You did not. =(

Yes i did :biggrin: and it was a good song to dance to. By the way, this rendition is more creative and fun than PF stoner style of mood

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 06:42 PM #34 of 58
Originally Posted by Faust 72
Yes i did :biggrin: and it was a good song to dance to. By the way, this rendition is more creative and fun than PF stoner style of mood
I'll say, the Scissor Sister's cover of "Comfortably Numb" isn't bad by any means.

But it still just doesn't hold a candle to Pink Floyd's original version of it.

How ya doing, buddy?
Faust 72

Member 1129

Level 7.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 07:13 PM #35 of 58
I don't think it was meant to hold the candle of the original though, maybe it was for fun SS covering it. Who knows?? I also love Powerman 5000 takes on Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Relax and Wheatus covering Erasure's A Little Respect.

ramoth
ACER BANDIT

Member 692

Level 35.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 07:41 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 04:41 PM #36 of 58
I'm gonna have to go with Dinosaur Jr's cover of Peter Frampton's Show Me The Way. That whole album (You're Living All Over Me) is great.

Honorable mentions:
- Stuck in the Metal by Eagles of Death Metal (a cover of Stuck in the Middle With You by Stealers Wheel). Just awesome, plain & simple.
- Paranoid Android by Brad Mehldau (a cover of Paranoid Android by Radiohead). Radiohead + Jazz = Amazing.
- (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction by Devo (a cover of (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones). I have to include this; sup new wave.
- 99 Red Balloons by Goldfinger (a cover of 99 Luftballons by Nena). Great cover, takes an 80s dance hit and turns it punk.
- Walk This Way by Run-D.M.C. (a cover of Walk This Way by Aerosmith). The song that got everyone's attention, made people sit up and say "Maybe there's something to this hip-hop whatsit after all."
- Rain by Chapterhouse (a cover of Rain by The Beatles). Pretty fantastic shoegazer band covers a pretty fantastic Beatles song, and does a great job.

Full album covers (all of these are great):
- Dub Side of the Moon by Easy Star All-Stars (a cover of the entire album Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd)
- The White Album by Phish (a cover of the entire album The Beatles (a.k.a. The White Album) by The Beatles). A live cover nonetheless! Very impressive.
- Remain in Light by Phish (a cover of the entire album Remain in Light by Talking Heads). Another live cover. Pretty fucking fantastic.

Extra special mention:
- Hayseed Dixie: They cover classic rock songs (Walk This Way, Back in Black, You Shook Me All Night Long, Dream On, etc) in the style of bluegrass. It's great stuff.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
NinjaSwiftblade
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 2492

Level 2.74

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 08:23 PM #37 of 58
Quote:
Wheatus covering Erasure's A Little Respect.
Haaaaa soooo true. Oooh Wheatus... <3

Quote:
99 Red Balloons by Goldfinger
This, too, was also a great cover. In fact, I kind of like it more than the original, but perhaps it's because I heard their version first...but yeah, they definitely made it their own, and it turned out really great.

Oh and here's another of my favourites...

Plain White T's version of "Livin' on a Prayer" or their version of "Will You Still Love me Tomorrow."

How ya doing, buddy?
NovaX
๏o๏o๏o๏

Member 603

Level 25.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 09:00 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 12:30 PM #38 of 58
Originally Posted by Kojiro
Led Zeppelin's cover of Kansas Joe McCoy and Memphis Minnie's "When The Levee Breaks" - one of those rare cases where the cover completely overshadows the original. They took a simple blues number from the 20's and turned it into something big fifty years later. They really made the track their own. And after all... who thinks of Memphis Minnie when they hear the song's title?
Holy crap! Add this to my list. I forgot it was a cover, it stands as one of my favourite Led Zeppelin tracks.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Dalkaen
hi i want to creat a 21 songs

Member 829

Level 16.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 09:42 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 09:42 PM #39 of 58
Sonata Arctica's cover of Iron Maiden's "Die With Your Boots On" is pretty great.

FELIPE NO
ava lilly
not a lily

Member 307

Level 16.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 09:51 PM #40 of 58
Originally Posted by Majin yami
They also did awesome covers of 'Feeling Good' by Nina Simone and 'House of the Rising Sun' by the Animals.
ah I knew House was, but I wasn't aware Feeling Good was a cover. that song is just fabulous. also I'm assuming it is miles better than the original, just because I am bias and haven't heard the other just yet. I'll see if I can find it though, just so I can compare.

Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 09:58 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 08:58 PM #41 of 58
Originally Posted by Living Legend
Dream Theater- covering ANYTHING
Yeah, I am a huge Dream Theater fan and it's annoying to some people. They have done some amazing covers of Queen, Metallica, Iron Maiden (I Think) and many others.
They have been known to do Iron Maiden albums in their entirety for their smaller shows.

And while i agree with you that Dream Theater does do good covers, i must remind you that their cover of Rush's "2112" was pretty damn weak compared to the origional.

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:13 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 10:13 PM #42 of 58
First and foremost, The Animals - House of the Rising Sun.

System of a Down - Snowblind blows Ozzy's version away.
Faith No More - Easy is an excellent version of the original, even though it's pretty much a copycat.
Pantera - Planet Caravan also blows away Ozzy's original.
Snake River Conspiracy - Lovesong is so much fucking better than anything 311 has ever done, you fags, you.
A Perfect Circle - Imagine is very nice.
Adema - Nutshell can't really compare with Alice in Chains' original, but it's a great attempt to copy a great band. Nice thought, though, since it was meant as a tribute to the death of the lead singer.
Metallica - Astronomy, Tuesday's Gone, Overkill, Turn the Page, and Stone Dead Forever.
Nevermore - The Sound of Silence twists the original into something sinister. It's not my favorite from Nevermore, but it's an interesting take, nonetheless.
Opeth - Remember Tomorrow. Okay, so really what I like is Mikael's voice, but still, I prefer it to Bruce Dickinson just about any day.

Most amazing jew boots
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:25 PM #43 of 58
Go! Go! 7188 Covers
-------------------
Pepper Keibu by Pink Lady
Kokoro No Tabi by Tulip
Cutie Honey by ???
Ban Ban Ban by the Tigers

for the mainstream:
Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm
Killer Queen in Taiko Drum Master
Toxic in Taiko Drum Master

el jacko
nobody knows

Member 838

Level 18.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:26 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 01:26 PM #44 of 58
"Two Headed Boy" by The Mountain Goats is the only cover I really enjoy. You can actually download it here. It changes up the tone of the song but still manages to keep its power.

Most amazing jew boots
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:01 AM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 11:01 PM #45 of 58
Originally Posted by Skexis
System of a Down - Snowblind blows Ozzy's version away.
Pantera - Planet Caravan also blows away Ozzy's original.
First, they were Sabbath originals, and second, bullshit. Those are both great covers but they are nothing when compared to the awesome force that was Black Sabbath.

I add:
Pearl Jam doing Daniel Johnston's Walking The Cow live and acoustic. This is on some bootleg.
Bad Brains covering the Beatles and Stones on Day Tripper/She's A Rainbow medley live. No one could touch their energy level. A bunch of rastafarian punks doing psychedelia is an interesting twist.
The Resident's Third Reich 'N' Roll album. This covers masterpiece took the form of two twenty minute medleys of twisted innovative covers of '60's bubblegum pop. A concept album meant to parody the hypocritical music industry of the time, a later CD reissue features their cover of the Stone's Satisfaction (which owns the decent Devo cover and predates it by five years), as well as their single The Beatles Play The Residents and The Residents Play The Beatles, which sees a cover of the Beatles' "Flying" and strange editing board creation titled "Beyond The Valley Of A Day In The Life".

I was speaking idiomatically.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:03 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 12:03 AM #46 of 58
Originally Posted by knkwzrd
First, they were Sabbath originals
Yeah, that was pretty much what was implied.

Quote:
Those are both great covers but they are nothing when compared to the awesome force that was Black Sabbath.
That doesn't convince me much more than calling my opinion bullshit, but you're welcome to your own.

How ya doing, buddy?
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:19 AM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 11:19 PM #47 of 58
Originally Posted by Skexis
Yeah, that was pretty much what was implied.
It's just that Ozzy didn't really do much writing in that band. And yeah, opinions . My favourite Sabbath cover would have to be Al Jourgensen's 1000 Homo DJ's doing Supernaut.

FELIPE NO
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:25 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 12:25 AM #48 of 58
Originally Posted by knkwzrd
It's just that Ozzy didn't really do much writing in that band.
Well, I can't stand his nasal voice, aside from a select few tracks like War Pigs, when he really busts out. So pretty much any other vocalist is a step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.

In Snowblind's case, It's the new interpretation I really love, though. The fast/slow mix up and Serj's alternate screaming/crooning.

Little Brenty Brent Brent
Bulk's not everything. You need constant effort, too.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:31 AM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 10:31 PM #49 of 58
I don't think I've ever heard a cover of a Sabbath song that I liked more than the original, actually. Though I'm gonna have to say that if one would do it for me, it'd be that Supernaut cover.

SpaceOddity
Chocobo

Member 427

Level 10.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 01:43 AM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 11:43 PM #50 of 58
Ack, way too many to name. I have to agree with others and add that "Hurt" by Johnny Cash may be one of the best covers of all time. I also really like his cover of U2's "One". Other favorites include:

- Jeff Buckley "Hallelujah"
- Joe Cocker "With A Little Help From My Friends"
- Ryan Adams "Wonderwall"
- Cake "I Will Survive"
- Cowboy Junkies "Sweet Jane"

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Best Cover Songs