Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] Cooking Guide: Can't Decide What To Eat? PROTIP: THIS IS THE MGS4 THREAD

Sexninja
Contents Under Pressure

Member 1142

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2008, 07:34 AM Local time: May 23, 2008, 05:34 PM #1251 of 1533
"Not a fucking chance."

As if somebody else on net won't post it sooner, i was asking 'just in case', you know MGS fans, they will be quick to scan it asap.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Kagosin
Why don't you look at it.

Member 4108

Level 17.96

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2008, 08:43 AM #1252 of 1533
As far as the MGS4 midnight release, it depends on your location. I know the store I part time work at is doing a midnight release, where as another store on the same street like 2 miles down is not.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Django!
I'm a little pimp with my hair gassed back

Member 23557

Level 8.57

Jul 2007

Old May 23, 2008, 09:28 AM #1253 of 1533
Ninety fucking minute cutscenes?

/me takes MGS4 off his list.

Metal Gear Solid 4: MGS4 Has 90-Minute Cutscenes

I was speaking idiomatically.
cloud baka
la li lu le lo

Member 30272

Level 7.02

May 2008

Old May 23, 2008, 12:15 PM Local time: May 23, 2008, 09:15 AM #1254 of 1533
/me think he will defiantly get more than his money worth and see that everything will be explained through the series, keep me on the list.

Given the history of MGS series and Kojima the cutscenes should be good. Don't complain, you can pause and skip them if you don't want to see them for those who are impatient and just want gameplay, then read some spoiler site to find out what happens if you don't wanna sit there.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by cloud baka; May 23, 2008 at 12:18 PM.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2008, 12:17 PM #1255 of 1533
Holy shit, looks like Xenosaga has been dethroned. From the looks of things it seems like it isn't just one, and the comment from the review about them being a third of the game is just insane.

FELIPE NO

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Kagosin

Member 4108

Level 17.96

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2008, 12:20 PM #1256 of 1533
/me think he will get more than his money worth and see that everything will be explained through the series, keep me on the list.

Given the history of MGS series and Kojima the cutscenes should be good. Don't complain, you can pause and skip them if you don't want to see them for those who are impatient and just want gameplay, then read some spoiler site to find out what happens if you don't wanna sit there.
Problem being is that if it's 90 minutes long, just release a DVD of it or something. It's like how Xenosaga was: They had long cutscenes for the story. Now in regards to that, if you skipped them, normally you wouldn't really know your next objective, as it detours the player away from immersion. It's not the idea that if one doesn't want to sit though them to read a spoiler site, because to be honest, that's not how gaming was built up upon to begin with.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Kagosin; May 23, 2008 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Edit: Forgot to add "as".
cloud baka
la li lu le lo

Member 30272

Level 7.02

May 2008

Old May 23, 2008, 12:27 PM Local time: May 23, 2008, 09:27 AM #1257 of 1533
Well just proves more the fact MGS4 is aimed for the fans i suppose, i'm fine with it the casual gamer probably not. Wouldn't want another DVD though, as long as the gameplay equals or is more than cutscenes then i'm good. But i get what people are saying and played Xenosaga and after the long scenes i kinda crapped out for the moment.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Kagosin

Member 4108

Level 17.96

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2008, 12:28 PM #1258 of 1533
Well just proves more the fact MGS4 is aimed for the fans i suppose, i'm fine with it the casual gamer probably not. Wouldn't want another DVD though, as long as the gameplay equals or is more than cutscenes then i'm good. But i get what people are saying and played Xenosaga and after the long scenes i kinda crapped out for the moment.
Well the thing is, if it was like at the end or something, that's fine, because it's setting down to a conclusion. However if they smack one of them in the middle of the game...that's unsettling a bit.

Most amazing jew boots
cloud baka
la li lu le lo

Member 30272

Level 7.02

May 2008

Old May 23, 2008, 12:37 PM Local time: May 23, 2008, 09:37 AM #1259 of 1533
Agreed. But i'm so much of a the sucker for the series i'll probably be craving every minute of it, already sounds like a lot of replay value with easters eggs and what not. But i wonder to what the extent of gameplay then cutscenes are? Are the far in between or something? That too i could see forgivable, for me i'm annoyed even if its a small cutscene every few moments.

So i am only assuming that these long cutscenes are like at the end of each chapter, i remember reading that this is the first MGS to have chapters and beginning of them has Sunny cooking eggs and the way the eggs are being made or handled sets the mood for the chapter. So if these are the long cutscenes they're talking about at the end of each chapter to wrap things up, i can see this to be plausible.

As for endings i always wish for long cutscenes not enough of them out there.

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2008, 12:39 PM Local time: May 23, 2008, 11:39 AM #1260 of 1533
That's just bizarre. I have nothing against lengthy sequences, but this sounds like a fair bit of an over estimation. I'm hoping it is.

/me think he will defiantly get more than his money worth and see that everything will be explained through the series, keep me on the list.
This makes me howl, though. You're one of those types that only buys a game if it's more than 15 hours long, I'm guessing. Value is hardly defined by duration. And in this case, it's kind of amusing to say that there's more inherant value in a game where you sit there and pick your nose for an hour and half while you're watching all this going on.

This whole longer is better attitude with people these days is really painful.

I also have an issue with statements about the quality of MGS's storytelling and how it really doesn't need to be this long, but this isn't really the place to go on about how I mostly dislike it.

Kago's right though. "WELL SKIP IT AND READ GAMEFAQS" is quite ridiculous.

Edit: You know what would work well? The ability to save halfway into a cutscene or something, or perhaps a recap feature. Say you do skip it, you get a screen that summarizes shit, or lists your new objective, or something. There have been titles in the past that use summaries to keep players up to date upon loading the game, so something similar if you decided to not sit down for that length of time would be beneficial.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; May 23, 2008 at 12:43 PM.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2008, 12:42 PM #1261 of 1533
Well, it seems like for folks who will be following the game via Youtube are going to go through an ungodly number of parts for just one cutscene.

Either that or walls of spoiler text. IMO, it sounds like Kojima tried to squeeze material that would be better suited to two games into one.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Kagosin

Member 4108

Level 17.96

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2008, 12:48 PM #1262 of 1533

Edit: You know what would work well? The ability to save halfway into a cutscene or something, or perhaps a recap feature. Say you do skip it, you get a screen that summarizes shit, or lists your new objective, or something. There have been titles in the past that use summaries to keep players up to date upon loading the game, so something similar if you decided to not sit down for that length of time would be beneficial.
See, if they have this kind of feature, then everyone would be ok.

Thing is though, I kinda feel they'll have something along the lines which would tell you what your next objective is anyways more or less. But as for the story aspect, a simple cliffnotes way would work in there.

cloud baka
la li lu le lo

Member 30272

Level 7.02

May 2008

Old May 23, 2008, 12:55 PM Local time: May 23, 2008, 09:55 AM #1263 of 1533
That's just bizarre. I have nothing against lengthy sequences, but this sounds like a fair bit of an over estimation. I'm hoping it is.

This makes me howl, though. You're one of those types that only buys a game if it's more than 15 hours long, I'm guessing. Value is hardly defined by duration. And in this case, it's kind of amusing to say that there's more inherant value in a game where you sit there and pick your nose for an hour and half while you're watching all this going on.

This whole longer is better attitude with people these days is really painful.
Shouldn't be quick to judge me, i've owned plenty of games that aren't really long and play them over and over and think that the majority are the best ones out there. And i'm far from the one to play lengthy games, i got so many RPGs unfinished. And maybe i sounded like i was really defensive and nit-picking but all i'm saying.. if you're not into it then fine there are alternatives.

Also i'm not totally against the fact that long cutscenes would probably make people cringe and possibly lose the mood to play, i've been there. As i said, i'm a fan of the series big time and i accept this with open arms thats why i like the idea. Just seems like they went more of the way to be there for the hardcore fans and i'm not saying you guys aren't, i get what you mean - it can be a bit overwhelming. Like Kago said if they're in middle of game it's unsetteling i believe that, i'm hoping they're more for closure to the end chapters though so you won't miss out on objectives midway through gameplay, just action/story sequences.

EDIT: If it is like 90 minute codec sequences... then i'll just cringe and go to my happy place.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by cloud baka; May 23, 2008 at 01:04 PM.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2008, 01:04 PM Local time: May 23, 2008, 12:04 PM #1264 of 1533
And maybe i sounded like i was really defensive and nit-picking but all i'm saying.. if you're not into it then fine there are alternatives.
That's basically it right there. The earlier comments reeked of defensive statements about length, so it's pretty hard to not draw the conclusion I drew.

The problem is, I hope there are DECENT alternatives. Flat out skipping something important due to the length of time it takes to get through it should not be punished by putting you into a new situation you know nothing about. I'm hoping that there is at least something that will not force you to sit through these things if you're not so inclined to. Perhaps I'm worrying too much and they'll be designed in such a way that one won't miss too much if one skips the lengthy ones, I don't know. I'm not one to think reading a fanmade story guide is a decent alternative.

And holy jesus if it's a 90 minute talking heads thing, then there's something wrong with the writers. At that point, they would just be trying to unconsise as possible.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; May 23, 2008 at 01:07 PM.
cloud baka
la li lu le lo

Member 30272

Level 7.02

May 2008

Old May 23, 2008, 01:13 PM Local time: May 23, 2008, 10:13 AM #1265 of 1533
And i hope so to, what i said isn't the best idea but was the only thing i could think of at the time since there seems like there isn't anything else. Problem is, that the sources are kinda vague when these cutscenes take place and if they disrupt the story and gameplay while in the midst of things or if they're pretty much skipable at the end of chapters, we don't know. So yeah i'm happy they did this cause i love the series, but in a way now i'm kinda wishing they made it easier for everyone to enjoy.

And if they are skipable is it like codec sessions fastforward.. skip a part of a clip then like it loads up a new one of the cutscene so people don't totally miss out? Just pretty vague and i think to early to say if it is great or bad now, sorry if i've jumped the gun but its good news to me maybe not so much for everyone.

How ya doing, buddy?
Kagosin

Member 4108

Level 17.96

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2008, 01:13 PM #1266 of 1533
And maybe i sounded like i was really defensive and nit-picking but all i'm saying.. if you're not into it then fine there are alternatives.

EDIT: If it is like 90 minute codec sequences... then i'll just cringe and go to my happy place.
Man if it was 90 min codec scenes.........

Yea there are alternatives and it's not a problem if you like watching cutscenes. The point I should have come out bluntly is: Don't turn it into the route of Xenosaga.

Aside from that I want to see how the boss battles play out.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2008, 01:16 PM 1 #1267 of 1533
Gamrpo killed the rumor: http://dailygamesnews.blogspot.com/2...cut-scene.html

"I've beat the game twice, and am the author of the forthcoming [GamePro] review," Shuman said. "Ninety-minute-long cinemas in MGS4 sounds like an exaggeration. Like the other MGS games, MGS4 definitely has a cinematic quality. And yes, some of the cut-scenes in the game are elaborate and occasionally lengthy. But not a one, to my recollection, even approaches 90 minutes."

Kagosin

Member 4108

Level 17.96

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2008, 01:19 PM #1268 of 1533
Edit:

Glad to hear that someone's stepping out about this.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Kagosin; May 23, 2008 at 01:25 PM.
cloud baka
la li lu le lo

Member 30272

Level 7.02

May 2008

Old May 23, 2008, 01:21 PM Local time: May 23, 2008, 10:21 AM #1269 of 1533
Sweet, just as i was thinking lol.

Here ya go Source: Mandatory install, long cutscenes inflitrate Metal Gear Solid 4 | PS3 News | GamePro.com

and

DailyGamesNews.com

Just cut out the end part.

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2008, 01:35 PM Local time: May 23, 2008, 12:35 PM #1270 of 1533
Well, at least it turns out we were right in assuming it was an over estimation. Kinda goes to show just how many "news" sites will take one blurb and run with it and proliferate the fuck out of it without double checking shit.

Kind of amusing considering Kotaku was complaining about that very same thing the other day with the rumour they started about Soul Blazer on the VC. Oh well, them being retarded and hypocritical isn't news either, so.

Kagosin

Member 4108

Level 17.96

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2008, 01:39 PM #1271 of 1533
Well, at least it turns out we were right in assuming it was an over estimation. Kinda goes to show just how many "news" sites will take one blurb and run with it and proliferate the fuck out of it without double checking shit.

Kind of amusing considering Kotaku was complaining about that very same thing the other day with the rumour they started about Soul Blazer on the VC. Oh well, them being retarded and hypocritical isn't news either, so.
The scary thing, is that I wouldn't put it pass the MGS team to do something like that.

FELIPE NO
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old May 23, 2008, 01:42 PM Local time: May 24, 2008, 02:42 AM 3 #1272 of 1533
All I am concerned with right now is whether Django! will put this game back on his list.

I'm on the edge of my seat here.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
cloud baka
la li lu le lo

Member 30272

Level 7.02

May 2008

Old May 23, 2008, 01:44 PM Local time: May 23, 2008, 10:44 AM #1273 of 1533
Yeah good news for all, i'm not the impressed with CVGs site and the way they cover things in the first place and then Kotaku picks it up.

You got a British magazine that says it has the equivalent of all 3 Godfather movies put together and then another says that's a big exaggeration, they're lengthy yes maybe 45 minute-ish but nothing that long. While on that note, there was a 45 minute cutscene in MGS2 and i can't even remember it =\

Sounds like the install time is gonna be long as well, 4.6GB to the HD, maybe the collectors edition will keep me busy in the mean time.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by cloud baka; May 23, 2008 at 01:47 PM.
Tagonist
The Age of Legends

Member 22583

Level 14.69

May 2007

Old May 23, 2008, 03:10 PM Local time: May 23, 2008, 10:10 PM 1 #1274 of 1533
Given that after The Boss was defeated in MGS3, the game took more than an hour after that until the credits rolled, it's not THAT unlikely for an MGS game to have that long cutscenes.
And yes, it wasn't really a more then one hour cutscene, more like some cutscenes, codec conversations, a little interaction, and then more cutscenes and the credits.
It's something VERY few games do these days. At least, few games I know. Most just have a quick ending movie, and that's it. MGS is kinda old fashioned in that way. Which actually is a good thing. I like games that ARE the reward in themselves, but I also like a reward in form of a cutscene. Combine both for greatness.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

These are the Books of Harrow
They are our doom and our salvation
Learn from them, or we will all perish
Sexninja
Contents Under Pressure

Member 1142

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2008, 06:22 PM Local time: May 24, 2008, 04:22 AM #1275 of 1533
hahaha 90 minutes are nothing, considering GTAIV has 8+ hours of cutscenes.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] Cooking Guide: Can't Decide What To Eat? PROTIP: THIS IS THE MGS4 THREAD