Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Song of the Week - WEEK 60 Voting/WEEK 61 Nominating

Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2006, 12:19 AM #51 of 56
Man, I thought Street Fighter was in the running for 1st. My favs were Sunset and Balance, and I didn't really care for Machine Gun, so I'm disappointed by the results again.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2006, 12:36 AM #52 of 56
Figures the first week I vote in 6 weeks, a track I didn't like wins.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2006, 04:00 AM Local time: Jun 5, 2006, 02:00 AM #53 of 56
Originally Posted by Djinova
The point is anything from OCR/VGMix/RKO/etc is already covered up by exactly these sites. Who is going to promote all these doujin arrangement CDs? The publisher themselves do it you could say, but pretty much like the aims of SOTW, some deserve more attention than just what the publisher does, that's why I am trying to bring attention to some tracks, that wouldn't otherwise be known elsewhere.
Aye, I agree. Heck, I check out doujin material much less often than I should, and I know better.

The only point I was trying to make is that, even if the purpose is to increase the recognition of these doujin arrangement CDs, once we open the door to some arrangements by non-VGM composers, we have to allow them all (subject to obscurity rules, of course).

I think perhaps allowing this sort of thing would be overstepping the bounds of what Song of the Week is supposed to be; some have argued in this thread that allowing arrangements and original works are already overstepping it. Increasing exposure to doujin works might be better suited to other places, like Dhsu's thread, which I'll link again for him, or perhaps even a DotW, assuming there's enough interest out there.

I don't know what this TF5&6 arrange is, but I'd say if you find anything remarkable from this, and it has not appeared yet on any other contest-like events or is as "unknown" as SOTW would regard it as eligible, then it may be nominated.
Nah, I probably wouldn't ever nominate it if it were eligible (BROKEN THUNDER+THUNDER FORCE5 "JADGEMENT ~ The Justice ray part 2 ~ The Justice ray part 3"). I just thought it was a convenient example. :biggrin:

(Heh heh, I wouldn't actually nominate Heaven's Race Guitar Style then... if you thought that sparked my becoming vocal).
I didn't mean to pick on you, but the thought did cross my mind. It was just another convenient example.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2006, 07:59 AM Local time: Jun 5, 2006, 08:59 PM #54 of 56
Just a thought: why not have a strictly doujin/remix week on SotW once in a while if there are enough nominations (so a separate doujin nomination queue could be set up)? Of course, the doujin tracks would be excluded from the normal SotW. Since such doujin weeks would be few and far between, it could help, to an extent, promote doujin without detracting too much from the main SotW event. Or keep it simple and set up a separate Doujin of the Week event as suggested.

Djinova, based on your definition of doujin, if I were to rearrange a piece of music from an official game soundtrack, would my track be considered... doujin?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
I think therefore I am... I think.

Last edited by Elorin; Jun 5, 2006 at 08:04 AM.
Djinova
Why didn't he just...

Member 2441

Level 23.28

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2006, 12:07 PM #55 of 56
Originally Posted by Dhsu
I agree with keeping doujin out of SotW, though. If you want to expose people to great arrangements you've found, you can always start your own "Doujin of the Week" event or something. That, or post them in my lonely doujin thread.
Those are nice ideas, but I think people are having problems enough keeping up with popular albums, not to mention checking out obscure professional soundtracks, let alone some doujins. There are people, but their numbers are far too little to justify something like “Doujin of the Week” in my opinion. Even in SOTW the number of regular participants have been reduced to half of the initial. Another difficult barrier to cross might be the initial pessimism towards anything amateur. And I don’t even think there are this good material to ensure longevity to an own weekly doujin event. SOTW undergoes enough periods of mediocrity and lethargy, even with the large potential it has. I simply don’t have the energy, knowlegde and the certain prestige to lead on such a project. All I can do is try to sneak some of them into this event, for game music’s sake (lol), because a “Doujin of the Week” will simply have to cover all sorts of doujin music, not only doujin VGM, this being only a small field in the vast doujin land. About posting in your thread, it is by my experience that some links with a personal recommendation label on them are seldomly clicked. I too would rather hesitate, if someone jumped in and said “Hey, this is awesome, check it out”.

Originally Posted by CHz
The only point I was trying to make is that, even if the purpose is to increase the recognition of these doujin arrangement CDs, once we open the door to some arrangements by non-VGM composers, we have to allow them all (subject to obscurity rules, of course).

I think perhaps allowing this sort of thing would be overstepping the bounds of what Song of the Week is supposed to be; some have argued in this thread that allowing arrangements and original works are already overstepping it. Increasing exposure to doujin works might be better suited to other places, like Dhsu's thread, which I'll link again for him, or perhaps even a DotW, assuming there's enough interest out there.
I actually think allowing this sort of thing is to make a step within the initial idea and the overstepped one, since they are arrangements per se, but this is really only my opinion, or would you say there is a substantial difference that would make any doujin arrangements distinguishable from a professional work? Allowing them and actually somebody nominating them are two things really (I will of course). I guess you are afraid that once the ban is lifted, massive influx of OCRemix (as convenient example) tracks will overflood this board and dominate every week from the moment of onset. I won’t like it as well, but that’s fearing for the worst scenario, which I can’t be sure of that it won’t happen, but my good faith telling me it’s not going to happen. Yeah, good faith it is. It might actually be interesting to find out if something like this happens if this sort of thing is temporarily allowed.

Originally Posted by Elorin
Just a thought: why not have a strictly doujin/remix week on SotW once in a while if there are enough nominations (so a separate doujin nomination queue could be set up)? Of course, the doujin tracks would be excluded from the normal SotW. Since such doujin weeks would be few and far between, it could help, to an extent, promote doujin without detracting too much from the main SotW event. Or keep it simple and set up a separate Doujin of the Week event as suggested.
Well, that’s the thing. Even a doujin/remix week on SOTW is hard to organize. As far as I know from looking, the only ones who frequent in the VGM doujin scene is Dhsu, CHz, _DH_ and to a limited extent me. The other regular participants have remained silent so far, therefore I assume that they only know it by name. Heh heh, a half doujin/half professional week would be possible, but I am not being serious.

Quote:
Djinova, based on your definition of doujin, if I were to rearrange a piece of music from an official game soundtrack, would my track be considered... doujin
Like I said, the word is diffuse. It would not be wrong to call your work a doujin, but it would be more of a “doujin” if you were japanese and trying to make some money with it.

FELIPE NO
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2006, 03:13 PM #56 of 56
Originally Posted by Drakken
Man, I thought Street Fighter was in the running for 1st. My favs were Sunset and Balance, and I didn't really care for Machine Gun, so I'm disappointed by the results again.
Strange Sunset was actually in 8th for the first few days, it was sick.

Anyway, Like most everyone, I liked this week as well: more specifically the consistency. Not a single track disappointed. Seeing Strange Sunset come in a place other than 1st however is unacceptable.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Song of the Week - WEEK 60 Voting/WEEK 61 Nominating