Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Song of the Week - WEEK 51 Voting/WEEK 52 Nominations

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 04:16 PM #1 of 44
Song of the Week - WEEK 51 Voting/WEEK 52 Nominations

It's Monday evening, and us impatient types are still aching for a voting thread. So here is is, in stopgap/counterfeit form, reproduced from MoO's previous voting thread and the links from the SoundtrackCentral voting thread. Sorry if I've overstepped any bounds in doing this, but I really want to vote.

Week 50 Voting is closed.
Week 51 Nominating is restricted.

Week 51 Voting
The rules for voting can be found here.

Tracks:
Armed Police Batrider (Game Rip) - ST5 Chasing Gang's Need Speed
Clockwork Knight ~ Pepperouchau's Adventure - Never Say Die!
Jak X - Combat Racing (Game Rip) - Track 5
MERI+DIA ~Maria Diana~ Original Sound Track - All charges
Orchestral Game Concert 3 - Hanjuku Hero 'Divertissement ~ The Fourth Movement'
Peter Jackson's King Kong - The Official Game of the Movie (Game Rip) - Ann's Theme
Phantasy Star Online Original Soundtrack - After the Story Part 2
Wander and the Colossus ~Roar of the Earth~ Original Soundtrack - Revived Power ~Battle With the Colossus~

Week 52 Nominating
The Nominations Queue can be found here.
The rules for nominating can be found here.

Notes:
If you are a member at more than one of the forums which this event is being held at, please nominate and vote in only ONE of the forums. You may, however, comment in the threads at any of the other forums.

Here are the links to this week's corresponding threads at the other three forums:
- Soundtrack Central
- Chudah's Corner
- Slightly Dark

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by orion_mk3; Mar 19, 2006 at 11:41 PM.
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 04:51 PM #2 of 44
Awesome week.

My song is totally out of place with it's low quality synths, it has no chance

There's nowhere I can't reach.
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 05:02 PM #3 of 44
Armed Police Batrider (Game Rip) - ST5 Chasing Gang's Need Speed As an English major, let me be blunt: THAT APOSTRAPHE IS WRONG! PLURALS HAVE NO APOSTRAPHES! AAAAGGGHHH! Now that that is out of the way; this track is a pleasant bit of elevator music that's jazzy but not ambitious or spectacular in any way. Its synth is fine, though, and it fits in well with the jazzy section of this week's entrants, setting the stage for an epic orchestra v. jazz deathgrudgesmackdownmatch.

Clockwork Knight ~ Pepperouchau's Adventure - Never Say Die! Very similar to the last piece, except that the synth is better (perhaps even live), and the performances are more lively, especially that percussion break. A little too loungy and improvisational for my taste, but pretty solid as far as lounge jazz acts go. Reminds me quite a bit of Grim Fandango, actually.

Jak X - Combat Racing (Game Rip) - Track 5 Jak is racing now? Who knew. This track has faint guitars, and drum loops, but little else. I never thought I'd say this, but could we have the guitars a little bit louder, please?

MERI+DIA ~Maria Diana~ Original Sound Track - All charges Jazz of the Week™ continues. This kind of jazz is like rap for me, in that I find it had to tell different tracks apart (though it's unlike rap in that I actually enjoy it on occasion). This track has a stronger melody than the others, I think, and that's what gives it the edge, despite its middling synth.

Orchestral Game Concert 3 - Hanjuku Hero 'Divertissement ~ The Fourth Movement' The sprightly xylophone/marimba sections of this song are absolutely delightful. It makes for a very witty, knowing sound that is strongly reminiscent of slapstick comedy or perhaps eggs, given the song's pedigree. The slower sections are a bit of a drag, though, since they lack the melody and focus of the main sections. It sounds like classical music, yes, but the kind of classical music I like.

Peter Jackson's King Kong - The Official Game of the Movie (Game Rip) - Ann's Theme My very own nom. Ann's theme is very lush and strongly romantic in the classic sense, with warm strings and piano deftly evoking an angelic, innocent figure. The melody is passed from section to section, carrying with it a feeling of longing and subtle tragedy. Then fully developed, the melody slightly resembles one of the themes from David Arnold's "Independence Day" score, slower and more melancholy, before fading off into a delicate piano finish. This track, and virtually all the other tracks from this game, are available for free online--the interpretation of this theme in "Between Two Worlds" is especially recommended.

Phantasy Star Online Original Soundtrack - After the Story Part 2 This is an old, familiar favorite, one of the strongest tracks from the abridged Phantasy Star Online OST. It's also a very string-based track, though more melancholy and less delicate. The buildup and string payoff in the middle is excellent, though the track drags a bit at the beginning.

Wander and the Colossus ~Roar of the Earth~ Original Soundtrack - Revived Power ~Battle With the Colossus~ A powerful orchestral track that weaves a great melody through a full set of variations and some sweeping instrumentation. The song has a vaguely Celtic feel at times, but is strongly triumphant for most of its length. The clanging metal perfectly accents parts of the song, reinforcing the potent brass and strings. If there are other songs like this on the OST, I need to go out and find it NOW.

A great week, overall. There was only one track that I couldn't stand, the rest being almost evenly divided between the orchestra and the jazz ensemble. I can't predict which way the vote will go this week, but there are some strong entrants.

The Point Spread
3 pts - King Kong (home field advantage, yo.)
1 pt. - Colosseum
1 pt. - Egg Hero OGC
1 pt. - Phantasy Phtar

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 05:47 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 02:47 PM #4 of 44
orion_mk3, starting this thread seems fine by me. Staff can contact me if they need anything edited in the first post and you're not available.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
TCK
I am the horseman

Member 230

Level 11.26

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 05:57 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 10:57 PM #5 of 44
Lets not make this a regular thing, but I guess I've got no real problem :S

I was speaking idiomatically.
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 07:54 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 05:54 PM #6 of 44
If you really wanted to vote, you could've just registered at STC. Probably would've been less effort than creating this thread.

But you did it correctly, so props.

Originally Posted by orion_mk3
Week 52 Nominating is open, I think.
Yes it is.

Originally Posted by orion_mk3
Armed Police Batrider (Game Rip) - ST5 Chasing Gang's Need Speed As an English major, let me be blunt: THAT APOSTRAPHE IS WRONG! PLURALS HAVE NO APOSTRAPHES! AAAAGGGHHH!
I think of the very same thing each time I listen to that track, which is somewhat often since I like it.

As a non-English major, let me point out that the word "apostrophes" has only one A. :biggrin:

Double Post:
I just realized that GoldfishX's nomination got lost in the shuffle last week (/me kicks Mo0) and really should've appeared this week. Sorry.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Undertale (PC, 2015)

Last edited by THE POWER OF WATER; Mar 13, 2006 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Automerged double post.
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:33 PM #7 of 44
MERI+DIA ~Maria Diana~ Original Sound Track - All Charges
Hey, some cool instrumentation here. Of the ONLY TWO synth tracks in this entire week, this one easily has higher quality sounds. Some of the horns sound MIDI POWER, but everything is very solid. But, and I'm sorry to say this, but the composition is disgusting. Every other measure at the beginning to 00:40 uses the same 4 note melody, and while that can work in few cases, it dosen't work here. Chord progression is alright, but downright ugly at parts. Especially at the end of the first phrase that's like a major 5th chord(2nd inv) to a WTF MINOR 5th and then the resolution to tonic. I almost threw up.

Wander and the Colossus ~Roar of the Earth~ Original Soundtrack - Revived Power ~Battle With the olossus~
You want my honest opinion? This song is overrated. It's not bad per se, but people are going about how this is the best album and how this song just so happens to be the best in the album, and it must've been the hype, but when I listened to it, I wasn't that pleased. It's nice and epic. But that's all it really has going for it. I do like the part at 0:35, though. The song does get better as it progresses (now that I listen to it more), some questionable chords as well in this song too. One thing I truly hated was the ending. It comes out of nowhere, I was like WTF when it happened.

Yeah, now we're getting somewhere. I don't really remember this song at all, but now that I listen to it, it's great. It has a subtle melody and an AWESOME backbone. The chord progressions are GOOD, this time. Still, it could've been more melodic all over, especially between the slight emptiness at 0:46 - 1:21. Right after a very nice, but also subtle percussion line comes in, adding to the drama. That one Cymbal ride was kinda weird, though. Problems: Unfortunately yes; this song is too subtle for it's own good, it needs more spine chilling bits for effect. The intro was the best part.

Jak X - Combat Racing (Game Rip) - Track 5
Hmm... what do we have here? Ambient Rocking track? There's not much to say about this one (sorry), it takes TOO LONG to develop. Apparently the main song starts at 1:03, and the song opens up pretty nicely. Everything seems simple, almost like a 4 channel track. There isn't enough to keep me interested. I bet it works wonders in game, though.

YAY FUN BOUNCY YES SONG. The instant the song started I started bopping up and down for some reason. It reminds me of all those old musical movies that aren't funny and the only funny song is just there for comic relief. Usually goes with hilariously serious vocals. The song itself is good, but I didn't like the direction taken at 1:03, it could've turned into something sad and mellow, but it was alright. Then at 2:20 HAPPY BOUNCY TIME YAY. Then 2:56 is drastic change done the right way: I was laughing at 3:14 came back with OMFG LET US SKIP MERRILY WHILE BOUNCING TIME. 4:14 was the best part, though, signifying a very pretty with nice chords as well. FUNNY BOUNCY HAPPY YES SONG. Climax was kinda odd, though.

Clockwork Knight ~ Pepperouchau's Adventure - Never Say Die!
YES!!!!! This is HARDCORE DESERT ISLAND MUSIC RIGHT HERE. It's SUPER JAZZ of the crazy variety. During the main parts, while the trumpet is doing it's awesome thing, the chord progressions only go through major development every 16 measures, which could be considered lacking. However, the walking bass turns into a running bass which is very cool. The part at 0:41 actually disgusted me the first time, I thought teh bazz was off key or something, but I'm pretty sure it's intentional. Solos are great with power vigor force, and how they were able to play in the off key section was impressive. Fantastic song this is.

Peter Jackson's King Kong - The Official Game of the Movie (Game Rip) - Ann's Theme
Holy hindenburg on a stick, I think I finally got the joke in Orion's Mini SOTW thing he did way back when with this and another song . Anyway, this song is great. Full of emotion, with awesome everything. It sounds like a song that came out of of 60's epic movie something. Development, well it just repeats the same phrase over and varies it, but the phrase is so good that WIN. The best part is the very first part with the strings, as I felt it fully developed the phrase properly.

Armed Police Batrider (Game Rip) - ST5 Chasing Gang's Need Speed
This is a song from a game.

FELIPE NO
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:39 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 08:39 PM #8 of 44
Nice reviews. Any chance of a point distribution any time soon?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:40 PM #9 of 44
Over at STC

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:59 PM #10 of 44
I don't mind at all, Orion. :P I wasn't around here until just now, so you woulve' been waiting a looong time. :P

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 11:13 PM #11 of 44
This week was okay but not spectacular for me. There was a lot of jazzy material but none of it leapt out at me more than any other track. Mo0 calls it "Murphy's Law of SotW", which states that a really good week is always followed by one or two mediocre weeks.
I'm not going to go into critical detail this week. I'm just gonna skip to doling out the points.

1 Point - MERI+DIA ~Maria Diana~ Original Sound Track - All charges
1 Point - Orchestral Game Concert 3 - Hanjuku Hero 'Divertissement ~ The Fourth Movement'
1 Point - Jak X - Combat Racing (Game Rip) - Track 5
1 Point - Armed Police Batrider (Game Rip) - ST5 Chasing Gang's Need Speed
1 Point - Clockwork Knight ~ Pepperouchau's Adventure - Never Say Die!
1 Point - Peter Jackson's King Kong - The Official Game of the Movie (Game Rip) - Ann's Theme

I didn't feel strongly about any one track this week, which is why my points are so spread out. The choices weren't bad, per se, but they did feel a little bland to me.

EDIT: I decided I liked "Ann's Theme" enough to give it a point too. So I'm all over the board this week.

Last edited by Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon; Mar 14, 2006 at 04:08 AM.
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 06:57 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 07:57 AM #12 of 44
I'll get to voting later but for now, my next nomination is prompted by a track from the same album that appeared in one of the BSEs but was sadly knocked out rather early:

Album: Mushihimesama Original Sound Track
Artists: Manabu Namiki & Masaharu Iwata
Track title: Like the Night of the Falling Stars - Stage4
Track number: Track 7
Catalogue number: CVST-0002
Year: 2005
Sources: http://www.gmronline.com/info.asp?CatNumber=CVST-0002; http://chudahs-corner.com/soundtrack...alog=CVST-0002

Probably not one of the catchiest songs on the album but I've been meaning to nominate this for quite a while now.

I think therefore I am... I think.

Last edited by Elorin; Mar 14, 2006 at 06:59 PM.
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 08:21 PM #13 of 44
My next nomination comes STRAIGHT FROM MY HEART

ALBUM: Hansei Zaru Jiro kun no Daibouken(Snes Rip)
ARTISTS: Kyohei Sada, Inata, Ootera, Toyo
TRACK TITLE: STAGE 5 RUINS
TRACK NUMBER: 7
YEAR: 1991 <--- OMFG
SOURCE: http://snesmusic.org/v2/profile.php?...selected=14373
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: This song comes straight from the heart. This is probably the first game whose soundtrack I loved EVER. EVER EVER EVER. I WAS 4 FREAKIN YEARS OLD WHEN I LIKED THIS MUSIC. If you don't like it, you are basically dissin my childhood. (Bah, I don't expect this to come any higher then 5th to be realistic, just want others to know what kind of music I listened to as a kid)

Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:18 PM #14 of 44
Originally Posted by CHz
I just realized that GoldfishX's nomination got lost in the shuffle last week (/me kicks Mo0) and really should've appeared this week. Sorry.
Tis alright. Everyone forgets about the Noid! :lolsign: (my new favorite smiley) This week's pretty good anyway, so better it didn't show up.

Gotta be...Gotta be...SOTW!

1st-Track 5

This is a strong week and some great melodies are in the mix, but I choose this one because the overall sound is appealing to me from start to finish. The electric guitar that enters for the main melody is appealing enough, but what I really enjoy is the overall build-up from the rich drums and the chugging that goes throughout this. I have me a gamerip to find, because this track sounds better each time I hear it. Hopefully the rest is as good.

2nd-All Charges

It's straight-forward and goes right for the parts in my body that want to hum the catchiest melody they can get coming in through my ear canals. This makes those body parts very happy indeed. Not a masterpiece by any stretch, but fun enough to stand up to the rest of the more technologically superior tracks this week.

3rd-Never Say Die!

This was actually a much tougher pick over #4 than it appears. This track has great solos and a great melody to match the upbeat nature, but I'm not quite as all over it as I should be. Nontheless, it has fewer flaws than #4, so it gets the higher vote.

And the rest...

4th-Hanjuku Hero

Love the xylophone parts. Love the upbeat parts. Roll my eyes at the parts that attempt to be dramatic and end up doing nothing but getting in the way of the good sections and eating time. I probably would have put this #2 had the lighter section been more dominant. Bit of a shame, but still the best orchestratin' this week.

5th-Revived Power-Battle With Collossus

More good orchestratin'. This succeeds where so many orchestral tracks fail...There's a great melody, great build-up and it lays down mood tracks seamlessly all the while. This is actually a strong week though and this one ends up ranked out, mostly because I started to get a little tired of it on the third listen. But it still made a good first impression.

6th-Chasing Gangs Need Speed

Servicable jazzy techno-funk. Not a standout, but the groove this one gives off makes for a worthy listen.

7th-After the Story Part 2

Gets better as it goes along, but still average at best.

8th-Ann's Theme

Too sappy for my taste and feels empty without the scene it's supposed to accompany (I'm guessing, since this sounds like cutscene music). Just kind of drags.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
_DH_
JAZZIN'

Member 130

Level 7.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:37 PM #15 of 44
I have a question about the elegibility of the next track I'm thinking of nominating. It's a track from the "Casiopea vs The Square" live concert and the track in question was composed by Issei Noro who hasn't composed original music for a video game but he did arrange some tracks from one of the S.S.T. Band G.S.M. albums. I know we decide things on a case-by-case basis so allow me to state my case for Casiopea. They have been quite influental on a number of vgm artists including Hiroyuki Iwatsuki, Ayako Saso, S.S.T. Band, Kukeiha Club, Woodsoft and probably many others. Issei Noro is the founder of the band and has composed most of their material. The keyboard player (Minoru Mukaiya) has infact composed music for the Sangokushi and Sengoku Musou series. The drummer (Akira Jimbo) played in the Rockman X arrange album. Although Issei Noro hasn't composed original music for a video game, him and his band have made contributions to vgm and for this reason I would like you to consider making one of his tracks eligible. One of the tracks I'm considering has Casiopea playing on stage with T-Square so even Masahiro Andoh would be involved. If it is allowed, I'll also make a dvd rip of the track available. If not, I'll just nominate an inferior Casiopea track composed by Mukaiya and zip up my favourite tracks from the band as I've been doing my last few times up. Though I'd much prefer to showcase my preferred track this time.

FELIPE NO
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:42 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 09:42 PM #16 of 44
Wow, that's tricky. Some pedigree Casiopea has there. Here's the way I see it:

Originally Posted by _DH_
the track in question was composed by Issei Noro who hasn't composed original music for a video game but he did arrange some tracks from one of the S.S.T. Band G.S.M. albums.
Originally Posted by the rules
A "professional VGM composer" is defined as a person who has composed at least one musical score specifically for, and featured in, a published video/computer game. This definition can still be put up for debate on a per-artist basis, such as if the quantity of scores composed seems lacking.
From a literal point of view, since Noro hasn't composed anything, the track should be ineligible. Same thing that killed Sunnyside Cruise (which I still think is bloody fantastic, by the way).

However, if the group has as much influence and as many connections as you say it does, I might not mind letting this one go through. I'll have to think about it.

What do the masses think?

Undertale (PC, 2015)
_DH_
JAZZIN'

Member 130

Level 7.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:06 AM #17 of 44
Originally Posted by CHz
Same thing that killed Sunnyside Cruise (which I still think is bloody fantastic, by the way).
Well, Sunnyside Cruise got killed because the original composer (Mitsuro Sutoh) had no involvement in vgm. Issei Noro on the other hand is the face of Casiopea and has at least arranged tracks on an official vgm album. It would be kinda like if Ryo Yonemitsu was the leader of his own band and asking if one of his original compositions would be eligible. Yonemitsu has primarily arranged tracks and never really composed any vgm originals (save for that one little track he composed for Ys III but let's pretend that never happened). I would think in such a case, the answer would be yes considering his past contributions to the world of vgm.

Originally Posted by CHz
However, if the group has as much influence and as many connections as you say it does
I can provide links to pages that prove the influences I've mentioned if need be.

Liontamer
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards Larry's Funky House of Lowe OC ReMix

Member 1322

Level 18.85

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 05:38 AM #18 of 44
Rather glibly (and not offensively I hope), if he's not a composer, then GTFO.

Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 03:16 PM #19 of 44
I still maintain that if it's not a song from a video game, then it shouldn't be eligible. The only exceptions being tracks that appear on game soundtracks but don't actually play in the game - ala "Singing Mountain" from Chrono Trigger.

I'll listen to the songs and edit with my votes later.

Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 05:06 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 02:06 PM #20 of 44
Before I know it voting will be closed, so I better get these in now. Per usual, no time to comment.

3 points - Clockwork Knight ~ Pepperouchau's Adventure - Never Say Die!
2 points - Phantasy Star Online Original Soundtrack - After the Story Part 2
1 point - Orchestral Game Concert 3 - Hanjuku Hero 'Divertissement ~ The Fourth Movement'

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 07:21 AM #21 of 44
In response to _DH_'s potential nomination, I have to side with the dissenters. Influence is a tricky thing to measure, and also largely subjective; a person or group's influence on music is a wide-open concept.

John Williams has influenced a generation of composers, and his themes have been incorporated into every major Star Wars game by noted game composers. Is "Duel of the Fates" therefore elligible for SoTW? I like the song, but the answer is "no."

Danny Elfman wrote the theme for "Fable," his dark musical style has influenced many other composers, and his themes have also been incorporated into video games. So, can I nominate a song from Oingo Boingo, his old rock band? Again, I think everyone would disagree.

I can't fault _DH_ for wanting to put music he likes into SoTW, but this particular case is too much of a stretch for me.

Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 10:03 AM #22 of 44
Brief comments this week.

(2 points) Wander and the Colossus ~Roar of the Earth~ Original Soundtrack - Revived Power ~Battle With the Colossus~: A favorite of mine from the soundtrack. Better in-game, but the power and urgency of the fights are conveyed well with tracks like these.

(2 points) Peter Jackson's King Kong - The Official Game of the Movie (Game Rip) - Ann's Theme: Touching use of piano with a romantic theme that would feel right at home in the movie.

(1 point) Phantasy Star Online Original Soundtrack - After the Story Part 2: Gets better as it goes along, I agree.

(1 point) Jak X - Combat Racing (Game Rip) - Track 5: I think sound equalization hurts this track a little bit. Surprisingly solid rock.

What can I say, I wasn't into jazz this week.

How ya doing, buddy?
_DH_
JAZZIN'

Member 130

Level 7.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 11:15 PM #23 of 44
I hate derailing a voting thread with my petty little nomination so let's do this week's nominators some justice with some votes and comments since the thread at slightlydark is pretty much dead. Hopefully next week when we're down to two forums, we can split the voting and nomination threads again unless people don't mind discussion of nominations amidst a voting thread.

Overall, this was a slightly above average week. Funny how the first four tracks were rock-jazzin' while the latter half were orchestratin'. Guess which side I took?

(2 points) Clockwork Knight ~ Pepperouchau's Adventure - Never Say Die!
A solid piece of improv jazz with a good melody although I also didn't like that part between 0:41-:52 which gets repeated a couple more times before the track ends. The solos were the highlight of this piece with my favourite section being the trumpet solo from 2:15-2:43.

(2 points) Jak X - Combat Racing (Game Rip) - Track 5
This one has a strong buildup and the guitar melody that ensues is pretty good although a bit repetitive. I can't help but feel this track could have been so much better if it was developed further. Nice drum samples though. A keeper nonetheless.

(1 point) MERI+DIA ~Maria Diana~ Original Sound Track - All charges
This track doesn't waste any time getting right into the sweet melody which is like going straight for my weakness. A fun, bouncy track which you can't help but tap your toe to.

(1 point) Armed Police Batrider (Game Rip) - ST5 Chasing Gang's Need Speed
Sounds like something that might come from one of the Zuntata members which isn't a bad thing. The melody is a bit quirky and the light jazzy touches were nice. I would have gone with "Chop Me Again" but this was an ok choice from a pretty good soundtrack.

The rest in order of preference:

Nice instrumentation but the buildup was too long and by the time this track reaches the main melody, it's almost over. Not a bad piece but has some obvious flaws.

I liked the bouncy xylophone sections but not the first two slower orchestral passages. The ending was quite good and overall, the track exceeded my expectations .

Wander and the Colossus ~Roar of the Earth~ Original Soundtrack - Revived Power ~Battle With the Colossus~
This soundtrack has got to be the most overrated soundtrack in recent memory considering how people have been raving about. It never did anything for me and I had to get rid of it as soon as I listened to it (save for two pretty decent tracks: "The Farthest Land" and "Swift Horse"). It sounds like your typical overdramatic film music with an average melody and while it may be appropriate to hear stuff like this while attempting to conquer a mountain of a beast, it's just not something I want to hear outside of the game.

It's got a decent melody, I'll give it that. But the way it was executed and the overall feel of this track nearly put me to sleep. I think it was mainly due to the lack of percussions and bass but that may not have been appropriate for the scene it accompanied. Nonetheless, I need some semblance of tempo in my music and stuff like this usually doesn't stay on my hard drive. That's film music for ya so no surprises here.

FELIPE NO
Buizel
Sup?

Member 667

Level 21.47

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 11:38 PM #24 of 44
3 points. Phantasy Star Online Original Soundtrack - After the Story Part 2

2 points. Clockwork Knight ~ Pepperouchau's Adventure - Never Say Die!

1 point. Wander and the Colossus ~Roar of the Earth~ Original Soundtrack - Revived Power ~Battle With the Colossus~

Quick question: Was Armed Police Batrider (Game Rip) - ST5 Chasing Gang's Need Speed originally in mono?

Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Mar 17, 2006, 08:27 PM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 09:27 AM #25 of 44
Interesting mix of tracks this week. Quite a good number of very strong contenders many of which would certainly have clinched a top three spot in other weeks.

EDIT
I decided to swap points between a couple of songs. APB now gets two points while Kong gets 1 point.

(2 points) Wander and the Colossus ~Roar of the Earth~ Original Soundtrack - Revived Power ~Battle With the Colossus~
I can understand why some might not like this at all (or anything to do with the game for that matter). The track (and the album) is pretty good and effective on its own merits and packs a punch in its short running time. However, it's not exactly the stuff of legends and one might easily tire of the track with time. However, songs like "Revived Power" get better with game context as a point of reference. For me, I was won over after hearing the track in a trailer. And it helps that I have a great weakness for just about anything that's highly spirited and triumphant.

I must agree that what does the track in (and the game) is the hype and the rave reviews that have accumulated since I nominated the track. I wonder why ICO never had such a problem... Because it's less well known and less played? *sigh*

(2 points) Armed Police Batrider (Game Rip) - ST5 Chasing Gang's Need Speed
APB has really grown on me. On the whole, I thought the song was very fluid and developed very nicely. I think the percussion and catchy melody helped give it the edge in the end.

(1 point) Phantasy Star Online Original Soundtrack - After the Story Part 2
A stirring piece of music that carries some very nice melody lines. The somewhat tragic quality of the track is also rather appealing.

(1 point) Peter Jackson's King Kong - The Official Game of the Movie (Game Rip) - Ann's Theme
Hideously long name for a game but that is one beautiful track. There are quite a few instances where the song reminded me of some of the themes from the Legend adventure game, Shannara, which is always a plus.

Most amazing jew boots
I think therefore I am... I think.

Last edited by Elorin; Mar 18, 2006 at 12:04 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Song of the Week - WEEK 51 Voting/WEEK 52 Nominations