Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Song of the Week - WEEK 75 Voting/WEEK 76 Nominating

isdapi
Forged in the Pain

Member 1534

Level 20.11

Mar 2006

Old Nov 9, 2006, 01:59 PM Local time: Nov 9, 2006, 08:59 PM #26 of 55
A good taste week.

(2 points) LA-MULANA (Game Rip) - Mr. Explorer
(2 points) Master of Monsters - Yellow Robe
(1 point) The Seventh Seal (PC Game Rip) - Air City - The Path To Knowledge
(1 point) Hotdog Storm (Game Rip) - Stage 5

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Djinova
Why didn't he just...

Member 2441

Level 23.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 01:19 PM #27 of 55
I am sorry, but that was a fantastic week. Off to some comments.

Carnaval - cool voice
It's nice that we get a change from saxophone jazz to some piano action. The short interlude (lol at Guara) is actually quite stylish and adds more character to the track. I like the fact that it sounded a bit sad (or melacholic) as well.

Hotdog Storm (Game Rip) - Stage 5
A passable track, mostly average, but with some nice parts, so on the overall it's still positive. Ok, it's a bit short...kinda.

LA-MULANA (Game Rip) - Mr. Explorer
Another good track, that satisfied me with a well-developped melody. Hard to say, it's not uber-stunning but everything fits nicely. If I was to compare it to something it would be Mega Man, but Mega Man is a bit more complex and faster.

Maple Story (Game Rip) - Above the Treetops
Above the Treetops comes with very nice, almost "pastell" sounds. Still the beginning was just average for me, what shines starts about 1:30 and continues on till 3:00 something, when the piano vanishes and the track goes submarine. It's not bad but it's still a roll out of some sort. In conclusion, it's got much variety, but wasn't so memorable, so I might need more time to appreciate all the details of the track.

Master of Monsters - Yellow Robe
Who else was reminded of "The Castle" from FF VIII? It had some moments of awesomeness with the organ, but on the overall was a bit flat.

Tales Weaver OST - Till the End of Infinity
Another track with nice sounds and fair complexity. It's also got quite a lot of energy and I happen to approve of the melody as well. So, it's good track.

Sound Test Music 05
It's repetitive and I liked it the best. We need more tracks like this. The atmosphere is very peculiar, in my opinion.

The Seventh Seal (PC Game Rip) - Air City - The Path To Knowledge
It sounds really peaceful and does nothing wrong really. At the same time it doesn't have the special something to unify the melodic parts to something more coherent. In other words, the melody feels a bit played out and sparse.

Painful Point Spread:

2 Points - Sound Test Music 05
2 Points - Carnaval - cool voice
1 Point - LA-MULANA (Game Rip) - Mr. Explorer
1 Point - Maple Story (Game Rip) - Above the Treetops
IROOP - Tales Weaver OST - Till the End of Infinity

--------------------
Nomination

Track Title: Lapse of Time
Track No.: 18
Composer: Tsukasa Saitoh
Album: Armored Core 3 Silent Line
Cataloq Number: SSCX-10085
Year: 2003
Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YTSPM9PG

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Djinova; Nov 10, 2006 at 01:23 PM.
EliJaH
God is force

Member 13856

Level 4.50

Oct 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 05:58 PM Local time: Nov 10, 2006, 04:58 PM #28 of 55
The Seventh Seal (PC Game Rip) - Air City - The Path To Knowledge:
Hmmm, not bad, well put together. I like the simplicity in the song, I think it would have been worse if it were more complex. We'll see how it does against some of the other competitors.

The Flintstones (SNES rip) - Sound Test Music 05:
Another decent song, not what I imagined from a Flintstones game >.>. Another peaceful song, about tied with the one before.

Tales Weaver OST - Till the End of Infinity :
Yet another, "Sky/Ambient(wrong word, oh well)" theme. The name on this song is awesome. Other than that, it's mediocre.

Master of Monsters - Yellow Robe:
Good song. Cool instruments, they fit well with the type of song (that's probably why the composer chose them >.>). The only problem is the development throughout the song.

Maple Story (Game Rip) - Above the Treetops:
I like this song the most so far, good use of drums, and a decent countermelody (is that the right term?). This song might steal my first place, who knows...

LA-MULANA (Game Rip) - Mr. Explorer:
Reminds me of when I used to play Megaman 6 all the time. Never heard of this game, I guess that doesn't matter much. Decent overall, not great, not horrible.

Hotdog Storm (Game Rip) - Stage 5:
. . . My least favorite, I dislike about the entire song . . . that's . . . it . . . I guess?

Carnaval - cool voice:
Not bad (I don't usually hate most songs). It kind of gets boring, but maybe the song just isn't my taste or something. Mediocre song.

Above the Treetops: 2 pts
Air City: 2 pts
Yellow Robe: 1 pt
Till the End of Infinity: 1 pt

---------------------------------------------

NOMINATION
Track Title: One Winged Angel
Track No.: 18
Composer: Nobuo Uematsu
Album: Final Fantasy VII - Reunion Tracks
Catalog Number: YKUL-7777
Year: 2077 A.D.
Source: That Man.

. . .

Spoiler:
Just Kidding :P

anyways, my real nomination --->

NOMINATION
Track Title: Muladhara
Track No.: 2
Composer: Shoji Meguro
Album: Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner Soundtrack CD
Catalog Number: FCCT-0020
Year: September 24, 2004
Source: chudahs-corner.com/soundtracks/index.php?catalog=FCCT-0020

Anyways, I was going to nominate "Artificial Sky 1", but looks like Djinova already nominated a song from Tsukasa Saitoh, don't want the same composer consecutively. Recommend AC3's soundtrack btw. I was going to wait for next week to nominate, but oh well here it is!.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by EliJaH; Nov 10, 2006 at 06:12 PM.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 06:28 PM Local time: Nov 10, 2006, 03:28 PM #29 of 55
I feel just a bit bad that I didn't vote last week (WEEK 74), but my enjoyment of most of the tracks was roughly equal. Furthermore, there was nothing that really stood out as dominant, besides perhaps "Battle with the Devil", but that is a Mitsuda track, and was poised to win anyhow. WEEK 74 was overall more enjoyable than WEEK 73, but I feel this week (WEEK 75) raises the bar even higher.

3 point(s) :: Hotdog Storm (Game Rip) - Stage 5
HotDAMN! This is just awesome. A sweet shmup melody that's part Jun Ishikawa, part Sotaro Tojima, and even a little Nobuo Uematsu. The instrumental harmony is great. I love the bass lines, the sound of the lead synths, and even the rhythm of the drums. I've already listened to this about 50 times since I first heard it (Wednesday morning). If the rest of the soundtrack is even half as good as this, I'll need to pick it up pronto. Darkcomet72's "Stage 5" streak holds true, as this is the best SotW surprise I've had in a while.

Apparently Fumito Tamayama & Shigenori Masuko also worked on Socket and Shinseiki Odysselya 2, as well as some other games. I've begun listening to these soundtracks, and will post my impressions later...either here or in my journal.

2 point(s) :: The Flintstones (SNES Game Rip) - Sound Test Music 05
Technically, this track should win because it's a SNES track and it's my nomination. But facetious technicalities aside, I could not put this above the glorious new discovery that is "Hotdog Storm - Stage 5".

"Sound Test Music 05" is a track which is best served in a dim and relaxing environment. The melody is slow, but good, and the instrumentation strikes a pleasing balance between SPC and MOD. It's a chill, meditative track, and thus it's also going to be at a disadvantage when one is "actively" listening to the music. It does not come as any shock to me that some people will be turned off by this. On another note, I could have cut off the "loop" occupying the second half of this MP3, but I prefer the length that it is...due to the mood of the track.

One of the contributing factors to choosing this track for nomination (as mentioned in my explanation that I gave in the BATTLE 09 thread) is how this track sounds like the polar opposite of what one would expect from a Flintstones game. It's a bit of a diamond in the rough. From what info the SPC set over at SNESMusic.org gives me, this track wasn't even used "in-game"; rather it exists solely in the Sound Test, guarded by a most peculiar bird. It is then my guess that this was an original composition, slyly inserted onto the cart as to publish and share this work with a savvy few. And I do say I find myself quite savvy when it comes to VGM.

1 point(s) :: The Seventh Seal (PC Game Rip) - Air City - The Path To Knowledge
The instrumentation can be a bit shrill, but the melody, while not very complex, is too pleasant and memorable to dismiss. The first couple of times listening to this, I thought I could pass on awarding it my remaining point, but the tune would eventually keep popping up in my mind. Further listens Sealed the deal. A very nice track all in all.

Maple Story (Game Rip) - Above the Treetops
This was my second choice for receiving the remaining point. I like the instrumental style of this track, but I eventually decided the melody didn't justify its length. The melody jumps around a lot, and while it's never bad, it's only really interesting at a few points. Once again, this is a very nice track, but I felt "Air City"'s clean-cut melody was more captivating.

Carnaval - cool voice
The melody reminds me a bit of "LOW TENSION ~ HI POSITION" from the Marusa no Onna album (a track which I have been considering nomination for quite some time). Anyway, the melody is good and memorable, but also a bit short. The instrumentation is dope, however, and keeps the entire package fresh. Not one of my favorites this week, but still a great track, and one that probably could have earned points from me had it appeared with a different set of competitors.

LA-MULANA (Game Rip) - Mr. Explorer
Let's set things straight. This is a good track, but it pales in comparison to "Stage 5". The rhythm is too static, and the melody is much more simplistic. The melody of this track actually reminds me of one of my many melody concepts that I think up during the day, mixed with a bit of Mega Man 4 for taste. Now obviously I can't complain about those ingredients -- which is why I still think this is a good track -- but my analysis stands.

Master of Monsters - Yellow Robe
Baroque style = Good, but not original
Melody that plays from 1:05 to 1:29 = Fucking win
Synth chorus leads in second half of this track = Fail and AIDS

Tales Weaver OST - Till the End of Infinity
I like ESTi, but this track is basically just a driving beat with a super-simplistic melody arranged a few different ways and a bunch of improv notes thrown around. It has layers of flavor, but much like the KFC Famous Bowls, it all turns into mush. I'll stick with other offerings instead.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Nov 10, 2006 at 06:32 PM.
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 09:55 PM Local time: Nov 11, 2006, 10:55 AM #30 of 55
Wow, great week. Really had to nit-pick and scrutinize each nomination carefully before I could distribute my points. Will post votes later today.

EDIT: Voting was really tough this week. I feel rather guilty not awarding the other songs points.

(2 points) Carnaval - cool voice
Very snazzy and sleek. I had no problems with it sounding akin to "Nightless City Guara Bobelo" from the BSC. Easily the standout for me this week.

(2 points) Maple Story (Game Rip) - Above the Treetops
Couldn't help but toss this 2 points. I always get great feel good vibes when I liaten to this one. So something about it must be right.

(1 point) Tales Weaver OST - Till the End of Infinity
Nicely uptempo and catchy. Also liked the way the song progressed as well.

(1 point) The Flintstones (SNES rip) - Sound Test Music 05
This was very surprising, especially since it's from a Flintstones game. Expected something more bouncy and cheery but "Sound Test" ended up rather different.

To be honest, the remaining chip tunes were all very good, exceeding my expectations. "Stage 5" was very, very close to getting a point but the intricacies in "Sound Test Music 05" won me over in the end.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
I think therefore I am... I think.

Last edited by Elorin; Nov 11, 2006 at 04:23 PM.
Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Nov 11, 2006, 12:23 PM Local time: Nov 11, 2006, 07:23 PM #31 of 55
I'd like to nominate, but I'm pretty much torn between a number of things. I think I could wait 'til next week, just to gauge what the field will be like.

Judging by the way the nomination queue works, I guess it won't make a difference if I nominate now or next week, correct?

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 11, 2006, 01:17 PM #32 of 55
Originally Posted by Draconis
Judging by the way the nomination queue works, I guess it won't make a difference if I nominate now or next week, correct?
It won't make a difference since you're currently at the bottom of the queue. If you were a new nominator, or the field of nomination was so thin that there were less than eight, though, it would be a different story.

How ya doing, buddy?
Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Nov 11, 2006, 01:47 PM Local time: Nov 11, 2006, 08:47 PM #33 of 55
Yeah, that was my interpretation of it.

So, what actually determines the order between a week's 8 previous nominators? I suppose that's where they go through that special algorithm the wiki talks about, yes?

arch_slayer
ntan1 is a rankmaniac

Member 6464

Level 21.01

May 2006

Old Nov 11, 2006, 02:38 PM Local time: Nov 11, 2006, 11:38 AM #34 of 55
FYI: GoldfishX: that phantasy star universe track is actually track 21, not 19 =)

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 11, 2006, 03:27 PM #35 of 55
Originally Posted by Draconis
Yeah, that was my interpretation of it.

So, what actually determines the order between a week's 8 previous nominators? I suppose that's where they go through that special algorithm the wiki talks about, yes?
In theory. In practice, it's a little more muddled than that.

Most amazing jew boots
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Nov 11, 2006, 04:25 PM Local time: Nov 12, 2006, 05:25 AM #36 of 55
Originally Posted by arch_slayer
FYI: GoldfishX: that phantasy star universe track is actually track 21, not 19 =)
Yup, clarified with Goldfish.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
I think therefore I am... I think.
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Nov 11, 2006, 06:33 PM Local time: Nov 11, 2006, 04:33 PM #37 of 55
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G
3 point(s) :: Hotdog Storm (Game Rip) - Stage 5
HotDAMN! This is just awesome. A sweet shmup melody that's part Jun Ishikawa, part Sotaro Tojima, and even a little Nobuo Uematsu. The instrumental harmony is great. I love the bass lines, the sound of the lead synths, and even the rhythm of the drums. I've already listened to this about 50 times since I first heard it (Wednesday morning). If the rest of the soundtrack is even half as good as this, I'll need to pick it up pronto. Darkcomet72's "Stage 5" streak holds true, as this is the best SotW surprise I've had in a while.

Apparently Fumito Tamayama & Shigenori Masuko also worked on Socket and Shinseiki Odysselya 2, as well as some other games. I've begun listening to these soundtracks, and will post my impressions later...either here or in my journal.
Actually, now that you mention it, I hear definite similarities between Stage 5 and Socket, espcially during the part with the four-note descending figures starting at 0:35. Neat.

I've thought about nominating from Socket, but the tracks are too damn short. >:(

Undertale (PC, 2015)
Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Nov 11, 2006, 09:17 PM #38 of 55
A strong week in terms of depth.

(3 points) Maple Story (Game Rip) - Above the Treetops
(2 points) Tales Weaver OST - Till the End of Infinity
(1 point) The Flintstones (SNES rip) - Sound Test Music 05 (though it's still much too long)

And the one point could have gone to three other tracks.

Liontamer
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards Larry's Funky House of Lowe OC ReMix

Member 1322

Level 18.85

Mar 2006

Old Nov 12, 2006, 02:50 PM #39 of 55
3 points: The Flintstones (SNES rip) - Sound Test Music 05
2 points: Carnaval - cool voice
1 point: Hotdog Storm (Game Rip) - Stage 5

That Flintstones one was a nice surprise. Didn't care for it too much at first, as it doesn't apsire to punch you in the face, but the music was pretty chill and well-written. It didn't strike me as anything that would be in a Flintstones game. "cool voice" sounds really disjointed, so you need to listen to it a number of times to familiarize with it. Hotdog Storm was a pretty sweet chiptune-style track. Not SO wowed by it as to feel it was #1, but a pretty cool nom.

FELIPE NO
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Nov 12, 2006, 04:38 PM #40 of 55
I've changed my point spread around slightly, to reflect emerging preferences. Please take note of these changes when tallying this week's winners.

Most amazing jew boots
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Nov 12, 2006, 05:11 PM Local time: Nov 12, 2006, 03:11 PM #41 of 55
Originally Posted by Crash Landon
I've changed my point spread around slightly, to reflect emerging preferences. Please take note of these changes when tallying this week's winners.
Got it. Made a difference in the results, too. =O

Voting is closed and nominations are restricted!

1). [30] Maple Story (Game Rip) - Above the Treetops
2). [18] The Flintstones (SNES Game Rip) - Sound Test Music 05
3). [16/11] Hotdog Storm (Game Rip) - Stage 5
4). [16/10.5] Tales Weaver Original Soundtrack - Till the End of Infinity
5). [15] Carnaval - cool voice
6). [14] The Seventh Seal: Resurrection of the Dark Lord (PC Game Rip) - Air City - The Path to Knowledge
7). [13] Master of Monsters - Yellow Robe
8). [10] LA-MULANA (Game Rip) - Mr. Explorer

Maple Story ran away with it, but the races for second and third places were really quite close.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Undertale (PC, 2015)
arch_slayer
ntan1 is a rankmaniac

Member 6464

Level 21.01

May 2006

Old Nov 12, 2006, 05:50 PM Local time: Nov 12, 2006, 02:50 PM #42 of 55
Mmmm, by a tiebreaker... ahahaha

Wow, next week looks... what do you say.

Personally, if there were over 3 point values, I have this feeling The Last Story would probably get 4-5 points from me. It happens to be the song that I'm currently putting on repeat a few times, and for me it's almost like another IDOLA (except a bit more agressive)

Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Nov 12, 2006, 06:09 PM #43 of 55
Originally Posted by arch_slayer
it's almost like another IDOLA (except a bit more agressive)
My thoughts exactly. I thought the same thing halfway through it the first time. :biggrin:

Same composer too (Hideaki Kobayashi).

That's how I'd sum up PSU: Like PSO, but far more aggressive overall. Which happens to be a trait that draws me to it. Plus, Kenichi Tokoi and is a nice addition too.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Nov 12, 2006, 06:11 PM #44 of 55
WTF awesome, Stage 5 placed higher than 8th . Glad to see it get some love, I expected more comments to be like Mr. EliJaH's, there.

Extremely disappointed Maple Story won, though. Cool backbone at times, but any attempt at a melody sounded jarring and almost painful. Coupled with the I-IV-I-IV-I~ progression that pisses me off to no extent, and you can see why I'm a bit upset. Apart from that, awesome results.

Most amazing jew boots
Shaolin Samurai
Top Tier

Member 2005

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Nov 12, 2006, 06:19 PM #45 of 55
Wow a nom of mine actually won. And here I thought that my taste in music was just so much better different from everyone else.

Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Nov 12, 2006, 06:34 PM #46 of 55
For Kaleb, and anyone else interested in the Hotdog Storm gamerip, I've uploaded it to Sendspace (lol). You can get it here. Enjoy!

Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:06 AM #47 of 55
I'm disappointed, I thought Yellow Robe was something special. It seems people were down on the synth quality, though. Maybe I should've gone with the original Genesis version rather than the arranged version.

Original Genesis version (in case anyone wants to give it a listen)

FELIPE NO
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:39 AM #48 of 55
Incidentally, the SotW page has an error on it.

For Week 74, Rainbow Butterfly Wood took 3rd place, not 2nd. This is reversed in the display on the site.

Just letting you know, Kaleb.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Nov 13, 2006, 08:03 AM Local time: Nov 13, 2006, 03:03 PM #49 of 55
Originally Posted by Darkcomet72
For Kaleb, and anyone else interested in the Hotdog Storm gamerip, I've uploaded it to Sendspace (lol). You can get it here. Enjoy!
Good stuff, thanks.

And I think Maple Story's win was well deserved. Congratulations.

Hah. Well, I don't feel sorry for my nomination. Not that it isn't a good song, but it became evident to me that it didn't have enough staying power. I was even considering switching to another track at some point. At least a few people liked it, and that made it worthwhile. My next nom would do better, hopefully. On to the next!

KyleDunamis
Good Chocobo

Member 3720

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2006, 09:33 AM #50 of 55
Noms are restricted, but this wouldn't go next week anyway, so here goes.

Artist: Noriyuki Iwadare
Album: Grandia 3 OST
Track Title: Sabatal
Disc Number: 1
Track Number: 11
Catalog Number: TRCD-10048/9
Year: 2005
Source: RPGFan

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Song of the Week - WEEK 75 Voting/WEEK 76 Nominating