Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Anime] New Fullmetal Alchemist anime series

Ceres
Now promoted to 'Dwarf Planet' status

Member 3240

Level 19.81

Mar 2006

Old Jan 12, 2009, 03:22 AM #1 of 37
New Fullmetal Alchemist anime series

They are doing it by the book this time

Fullmetal Alchemist: New Series, Confirmed

It is not a continuation of the previous anime, as that ended pretty definitively with Ed and Al being separated in different worlds, but instead they are going back and making it true to the manga.

I'm rather excited for this as I loved the first anime series, but it means that now I'm going to have to go back and read the manga again. I didn't get far in it to begin with as I only read the volumes that my school library had. I at least got far enough to know that the manga and anime are completely different, so this should be interesting

The teaser for it:
Spoiler:

How ya doing, buddy?
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Jan 12, 2009, 03:41 PM #2 of 37
Can't wait for this new one. But didn't the manga come after the anime..??

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by chato; Jan 12, 2009 at 03:45 PM.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Jan 12, 2009, 03:54 PM #3 of 37
But didn't the manga come after the anime..??
The manga came first, and up to a certain point, the anime and manga are virtually identical. After that point, they diverge a great deal, and most of the "big" revelations/explanations for things are completely different. It'll be interesting to see where/how the anime picks things up.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 04:35 PM #4 of 37
I wonder how they'll animate the things that were identical between the original anime and the manga. I thought some of the early episodes were fairly well done.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Miho
Chocobo

Member 13767

Level 12.83

Oct 2006

Old Jan 24, 2009, 01:39 AM #5 of 37
That's cool. I enjoyed the TV series, so I'll be looking forward to this.

I was speaking idiomatically.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2009, 01:07 PM #6 of 37
In other news, The original seiyuus for Al and Ed are going to reprise their roles.

Meh..well that sucks. I dunno. I just think Romi Paku's annoying and overrated.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Chip
SquareEnix's #1 Whore

Member 1989

Level 11.18

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2009, 01:44 PM Local time: Feb 8, 2009, 02:44 AM #7 of 37
Whoa, how big of a difference was the Anime series from the Manga? :3

FELIPE NO
PSN: Squareh00r
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Feb 7, 2009, 01:46 PM Local time: Feb 8, 2009, 02:46 AM #8 of 37
Romi Paku was perfect for the role. Al's voice, on the other hand, grates on me horribly. TEH RIE notwithstanding.

How ya doing, buddy?
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2009, 01:56 PM #9 of 37
Whoa, how big of a difference was the Anime series from the Manga? :3
Checked out Wiki and I'd say by a whole lot O.o..not being sarcastic either.. There's alot of stuff in the manga.

@bigblah - I dont hate her that much. I did like her as Ed and Nana.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by chato; Feb 7, 2009 at 03:04 PM.
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2009, 10:03 AM #10 of 37
Watched this a few times yesterday. Pretty good start, I think. Obvious filler and ridiculously fast-paced story to introduce non-veterans to the story.

The thing that pissed me off the most was the amount of foreshadowing they threw in, even in the OP, just to satisfy the manga readers—kind of like "HEY GUYS, JUST IN CASE YOU DIDNT KNOW, THIS IS THE MANGA STORYLINE!" Totally unnecessary.

It also worries me to think about how much of the beginning they're going to gloss over just to get to the good stuff. Even at 2 chapters an episode (which is pretty standard), it'll be a tight fit to finish up the series, which should end anywhere from chapter 100-110. I'd like it much more if they took two years and made a good 102 episode series that really does the manga thorough justice.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2009, 10:09 AM #11 of 37
I haven't downloaded the first episode yet, but it sounds like a good thing if they're speeding through the beginning. The manga and original anime didn't really diverge on any major points until around episode 30, so I'd rather we just hurry up and get to the new stuff. The other series isn't that old and people can just watch that for a slower, more detailed start.

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Apr 6, 2009, 11:58 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2009, 11:58 AM #12 of 37
The show had a poo ending and the follow-up movie was pretty underwhelming. Hopefully this show will not be poo.

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2009, 01:46 PM #13 of 37
Just watched the first episode myself. What's wrong with glossing over the beginning that most people have already seen? It's so popular in Japan surely most folks have at least a passing knowledge of the setup (how the boys lost their bodies and their objectives to get them back), so there's no point in belaboring things. Honestly, I don't care all that much for the stuff that happens before a certain death, and I certainly don't want to go through the whole Lior bit again. The first ep. gives some nice foreshadowing for those who already know what's coming, while at the same time delivering new material to keep things fresh. #2 looks to be a flashback to their childhood, so maybe they'll just skip Lior entirely (keep in mind I know nothing about plans for the series except watching the actual show, so if there are articles detailing plot plans, I haven't read them).

Also, the ED animation is the best ever. I wish there were shots without the credits so I could make an av/sig.

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2009, 03:44 PM #14 of 37
I just finished watching the first episode, and so far I like how things are being done. I've kept up with the manga and rewatched the first series so many times that I really didn't want to sit through several episodes of introductions. The Ice Alchemist fight was a nice way to get things going and set up a lot of the major characters while showing something new. It was kind of strange to have everyone know the boys except for Hughes, but I'm all for some small changes to keep things interesting.

Did anyone else's subs keep calling Bradley the "Fuhrer President?" Eclipse did that, and it sounds incredibly awkward.

Most amazing jew boots
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2009, 05:58 PM #15 of 37
This is why you use the gSS [gg + BSS] subs instead.

We really don't need eight scrub groups doing it when gSS and Shinsen are already on the case and doing a much better job.

FELIPE NO

#654: Braixen
Put Balls
i

Member 100

Level 26.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2009, 07:11 PM Local time: Apr 8, 2009, 02:11 AM #16 of 37
Wow, that was horrible. How many times in the first 6 minutes did they refer to Edward's height? And how many times before did that stop being funny?

It was quite fast and effective in narrative, though. This one episode spanned a story that would've taken most anime series an entire season to complete.

I quite liked the original series, even with its oscillating quality at the end. (Never saw the movie.)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
valiant
FRIEND

Member 836

Level 18.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2009, 10:13 PM #17 of 37
How many fricken groups do we need subbing FMA 2...seriously there are like 7 now....

Jam it back in, in the dark.
zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2009, 02:54 AM Local time: Apr 8, 2009, 12:54 AM #18 of 37
Wow, that was horrible. How many times in the first 6 minutes did they refer to Edward's height? And how many times before did that stop being funny?
Ha! That was just ridiculously overdone that it's fulfilled the short joke quota for the next 10 episodes. If the series goes overboard with that, I'll rage depending on how everything else is.

Overall a decent episode to serve as a starting point by introducing most of the major players while throwing in a decent amount of action that'll be a taste of things to come.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
My spheres of activity:
Anime Instrumentality Blog - Latest Music Reviews: Gundam Unicorn Soundtrack | Kampfer Soundtrack
Eminence Online (anime music reviewer) - Latest review: Noir Original Soundtrack
The Nihon Review - Latest review: Taisho Yakyuu Musume
Boo-kun
boo u

Member 311

Level 20.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2009, 03:07 AM Local time: Apr 8, 2009, 10:07 AM #19 of 37
It's a regular joke even in the manga, so it didn't really bother me. Looked to me like they just did a extra starting episode before moving to the manga story next ep~. Overally I think the first series had a bit sharper/tougher feel to it, but I wouldn't mind if they skip the dog & loli part for example ;_;

chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2009, 06:42 AM #20 of 37
How many fricken groups do we need subbing FMA 2...seriously there are like 7 now....
Yea, for real. I'm getting mine from Taka since they have 720p and 1080p. I obviously choose 720 because it works great on the ps3. 1080 doens't for some reason O.o..

SOJC
General of the Army of Spoons

Member 10884

Level 5.11

Aug 2006

Old Apr 8, 2009, 02:42 PM Local time: Apr 8, 2009, 09:42 PM #21 of 37
I enjoyed it...not so keen on the opening and ending songs though...

I've never read the manga, and enjoyed the first series immensely...I wonder how long before the series really moves away from the plot of the first series, it worries me that I'll become bored before the divergence occurs.

I would also like to say that 'crayons' are underrated in animation...

Making the world a spoonier place
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2009, 05:14 PM #22 of 37
A friend of mine tried watching the other FMA series 2 months ago. Sayin' he didn't like it because it didn't have too much action and was waitng for "more than" 10 episodes to see a fight but it just wasn't enough. In this one, there was story and lots of action. So he chose this road ;p.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2009, 11:14 AM Local time: Apr 29, 2009, 12:14 AM #23 of 37
Nice! Looks great so far!

Been checking out Shinsen-Subs' work but it looks like they're stuck in a rut now. They got a letter from FUNimation asking them to stop, which the group basically said "kiss my ass" to. But now their translator has taken off....

Shinsen-Subs :: News & Updates

Not looking good. Anyone recommend another group's subs? I might have to go with Tails' suggestion and look out for gss instead though.

I didn't see the original anime series since I was still into the manga, and later hearing that it went out on a different tangent made me miss it altogether. I'm looking forward to seeing Ling, RanFan and old man Fuu make their appearences.

Was Maria Ross ever in the first TV series?

FELIPE NO
"This job would be great if it wasn't for the f@#$ing customers!!"
- Randall to Dante (Clerks)
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2009, 11:46 AM #24 of 37
I was wondering why Shinsen hadn't done ep. 4. Still, they insisted on releasing in mkv, which I can't convert over to my iPod, so I had to wait for some other group to hard-sub it. I've got ep. 4 from Eclipse in my queue to watch, but I've got to see ep. 3 first.

Yes, Maria Ross was in the first series, but she plays a larger role in the manga.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2009, 12:24 PM #25 of 37
Man you guys are slow. Anyway GSS dropped FMA in favor of picking up Sengoku Basara (FUCK YEAH PUT YA SUBS ON), and since Shinsen isn't based in America they're just releasing under the group name The Alchemists now. They had episode 4 up at the same time they always do on Sunday.

Most amazing jew boots

#654: Braixen

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Anime] New Fullmetal Alchemist anime series