Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

What are you listening to right now? Write a single-track mini-review. (Version 2.0)

Excrono
HD-497

Member 141

Level 14.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 06:48 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 05:48 PM #1 of 49
What are you listening to right now? Write a single-track mini-review. (Version 2.0)

This has been a standard of General Game Music for quite awhile, and with another board wipe comes the latest incarnation of this thread.

Simply post what musical track you are listening to at the moment along with one or two sentences (or more) describing why you like or dislike the song in question.

I will get things started:

Kouchi Sugiyama - Dragon Quest VI Symphonic Suite - At the Palace

Among the castle themes that Mr. Sugiyama has composed, this is arguably one of the most questionable in terms of quality. The piece is arranged as a rondo, and has a dark almost somber tone that can get a bit repetitive after awhile (and has put off many listeners, from my experience). None the less, I find it to be one of his more interesting offerings, primarily because of Sugiyama’s approach, which is much darker the majority of the castle themes. Had the melody in the arrangement been fleshed out a bit more, I really think it could have turned out to be the best of the eight DQ castle themes.

Rating 3.5/5

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Excrono; Mar 5, 2006 at 07:12 PM.
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:50 AM #2 of 49
Currently listening to:

metempsychosis from Shikigami no Shiro 2 OST (aka Castle Shikigami 2).

A tune that needs a couple of listens to really shine, simply because it's trying to do so much. It's techno-driven and made for shooting stuff old-school style, but the main melody is sad and downbeat in a nostalgic way as it comes into the track. The latter part starts about 1:10 in and subtley repeats the melody on a set of synth bells, giving it something of a haunting quality for a remaining minute or so before it fades away.

More likely than not, this will be stuck in my head all day tomorrow. Better make sure it's on the iPod so I can get my fix if needed...

There's nowhere I can't reach.
OZZcln
Fallen Angel

Member 645

Level 5.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:59 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 12:59 AM #3 of 49
Breaking Benjamin- Home

Great song for a really small(almost unheard of around here)band.
Pretty funny intro with the wizard of oz witch clip of "I'll get you my pretty and your little dog too"
Goes with the song considering it all goes with the movie XD.
All in all a great song. The Guitar work is nice, lyrics as well. Some spots in his vocals are a little scratchy but I think it adds to the sound of the band. Rather than being annoying.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Admiral Amara

Member 189

Level 25.56

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 01:13 AM #4 of 49
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - motherfucker=redeemer

This is the second track on the Yanqui U.X.O. album that bears that name, and is also the second shortest track, clocking in at 10:07. The album, while only containing five tracks, is over 70 minutes in length, and this track closes the intense, visual journey that is Yanqui U.X.O. The most consistently musical, and consistently interesting of all GY!BE tracks ever written, this one defies their typical formula of slow rise/slow fall. It reaches its climax in record time, holding the intensity, but never releasing it. The musicianship also displays GY!BE's talent more than usual, breaking out into raucous jams, switching suddenly between followable metres and cleverly spaced time signatures to keep you on your feet. Right towards the end, everything feels that it should fall apart - but it holds togther, and everything finally unifies - then rises and evaporates instantaneously, never reaching resolution.

5/5

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 09:58 AM #5 of 49
Chris Hülsbeck - Jim Power PC-Engine Redbook - Level 3

What a nice track! I can't believe I never listened to this soundtrack before, but it's not too late. The strong electronic/techno/dance elements definitely get me fixed, and the melodies are catchy, however not "over the top". The instrumentation could be better (the guitar comes to mind), but at the same time, it gives it a old-school "upgraded" Amiga touch, so it's not all bad. It will stay in my "Upbeat" VGM playlist.

4.5/5

I was speaking idiomatically.
Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 09:50 AM #6 of 49
I abandoned the last thread, so maybe now's a good time to get refamiliarized with this one.

More Than Mario - 01 - You're In Valley Town

Sadly, this might be the best track from Mustin and Dale North's latest release. The original track from Animal Crossing was a pleasant enough ditty, and North's amiable piano work spruces it up decently while keeping the airy core of the track. The light percussion elements also add a weclome bit of depth. When I'm not feeling fully lazy I'll create a More Than Mario thread in the Album Comments forum.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Mana Dragon
I'm Back, Where's My Steak?

Member 96

Level 11.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 02:25 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 02:25 PM #7 of 49
Darn, I wanted to make this thread, but at least I'm back to post in it, let's see if I can reach 300+ reviews again, or not.

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 OST - Hydrocity Zone Act 2 -

A much more mellow version of the Hydrocity theme, a bit slower with more of a jazzy feel than act 1, though slower, I feeel it is superior to it's predeccessor. As with the mold of all Sonic tracks, it's catchy as hell. I always thought Sonic 3 had the best soundtrack, and this is one of the best.

FELIPE NO
DBCE Slayer
Witness the POWER!!!

Member 779

Level 15.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 04:56 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 11:56 AM #8 of 49
MGS: TTS-Snake vs Shaman (Vulcan Raven)

I loved this track because it has that eerie feel to it when you're facing Raven in the storage room. It is also a perfect track to fit this boss battle. Norihiko Hibino did a excellent job on this track. I give it (5 revolutions) out of 5 Revolutions.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Josiah
Normal Gym Leader

Member 412

Level 22.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 05:27 PM #9 of 49
Phantasy Star Online Songs of RAGOL Odyssey -EPISODE I&II- : Silent Palace

When I started Episode II on PSO for the first time, I was greeted with this track. Wow. It was surreal. Perhaps it just fit my excitement at the start of a new adventure, as sappy as that may sound. I like the blend of the more orchestral feel with the electronic instrumentation. All in all, it makes a pretty majestic track.

Excrono
HD-497

Member 141

Level 14.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 06:57 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 05:57 PM #10 of 49
Monsters in the Dungeon~Tower of Death~Dark World~Monsters in the Dungeon

This is a medley three pieces from Dragon Quest V. The first part consists of the dungeon/cave theme which features a really neat string section that serves to give the melody an air of mystery and uneasiness. In my opinion the composition is the most original and well executed in the series. The second theme in the track is the tower theme, which features a clarinet as the lead for this almost sad, melancholic melody. One would think this would be strangely inappropriate for such an area, but it really shines in game, providing the backdrop to several key plot events. The final theme presented in this piece is the dark, or evil world theme, which is a staple the "Heaven" trilogy (DQ IV-VI). This short piece is lovely in small doses, but isn't nearly as good as the rest of the track.

As a whole, this easily stands as Koichi Sugiyama's best work (as far as cave/tower themes go) for the Dragon Quest series of games.

Rating: 5.0/5.0

Ashton
GET DOWN

Member 2132

Level 14.26

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:08 AM #11 of 49
Kenji Yamamoto - 26 Boss Defeated (Item Room Theme Long)
Oh wow, what a somber, quiet song. Ingame and out, it's perfectly creepy without seeming it's supposed to be. I'm not one that can write long reviews, but what i can say is that if you like soft, haunting and quiet songs, you'd love this. Ingame, it perfectly captures that tense feeling you(Samus) would have after killing a boss. Listening to it casually just gives me the chills in a good way.

5 outta 5.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 05:18 PM #12 of 49
Laharl's Hymn (Vocal) by Tenpei Sato, Disgaea: Hour of Darkness Soundtrack

The version of the song you hear, when you try to look at stuff in the Dark Assembly, with Japanese vocals. It's sort of a strange mix between lighthearted and morbid. We have the somewhat cheery female singers with various interjections such as "Number One!" and "Aku ga ku hodo!" at the ends of phrases, along with playful instrument melodies. However, the song has an ominous mood throughout, is all in a minor key, and there are several buildup points such as "hikae o mono domo...." and the instruments do a good job of heightening the sense of darkness and then shifting back to the lilting vocals. It's something you'll have to hear for yourself since I don't know how to describe it very well.

A delightful romp in the netherworld: 4/5

Klandestinie
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 2333

Level 1.21

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 06:13 PM #13 of 49
Shadow Hearts From the New World

Dead Fingers Talk

The first battle theme from the above titled game. It's one of the most badass battle themes from any rpg that I've ever heard. I get pumped every time I hear it. To anyone who's heard this song, do the vocals translate to anything or is it just random chanting?

Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:33 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 09:33 PM #14 of 49
Final Fantasy Medley OC ReMix

Has a great blend of all the earlier FF games. The execution is well done and has a deep, happy sound to it. It's accompanied by the other ~1250 OC ReMixes (a few dozen are missing due to review and voluntary removal). I downloaded them using Bittorrent, I can't wait for OC ReMix torrent 1251-1500 to come out.

goldeneye2131
Din, Farore, Nayru

Member 2134

Level 10.26

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:49 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 11:49 PM #15 of 49
The Throne Room/End Title - John Williams...This song makes me cry every time I hear it, as I especially enjoy the sped up version of Princess Leia's Theme that is embedded in it...

How ya doing, buddy?
johnnyisip
"Canadian"

Member 2410

Level 3.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 02:38 AM #16 of 49
J&A from UNLIMITED: SaGa

Why is this piece so awesome? Well, I love Hamauzu and his inventiveness, but I love this piece most of all because it sounds like it could've been ripped straight from the Final Fantasy Tactics soundtrack. You know, one of the quirky, happy battle themes like Random Waltz. The piece is very playful, especially the beginning with the swelling strings playing as counterpoint to the cheerful offbeats and piano. Sounds like Hamauzu + Sakimoto. Very short, but ver good.

Hauton
Carob Nut

Member 892

Level 5.02

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 05:51 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 04:51 AM #17 of 49
Hard Fi - Living for the Weekend

Proving to me once again that new music doesn't blow, just I'm too lazy to actually find the good stuff, this song from a bunch of indy rockers from across the pond is a good, hard fun song that's just a joy to listen to. A disco/retro background supports a bouncy, energetic rock trio. The song just completely fits that "lets party" theme of the lyrics. The instruments just hammer along, and delivers a feeling of letting go. My only issue with the song is that the lyrics aren't particularly strong, and they hold up the instrumentals. The song is also a bit repetative, especially near the end.

Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:09 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 01:09 AM #18 of 49
Zork: Grand Inquisitor Soundtrack Rip - Mark Morgan - Track 9 - Exploring the Underground Empire

I needed something to soothe my nerves and this track turned out to be an apt choice. I remember the tune from way back when I played the game. It was always a treat to listen whilst exploring the expansive caverns of the Great Underground Empire, complete with mists and lights of diffused hues that add to the overall mystique of the experience. Listening to the "Exploring the Underground Empire" today, it still evokes the same wonder and fascination with its blend of electronic samples and effective percussion.

At the time, I didn't know who Mark Morgan was (didn't pay much heed to credits then) and only began taking a more vested interest in his work after the great Planescape: Torment soundtrack. So it was with much surprise and delight that I learned how Morgan was also responsible for music from Zork: Grand Inquisitor and the much loved Zork: Nemesis.

That said, non-sympathizers of ambient music will probably not warm-up to this Zork track.

I think therefore I am... I think.

Last edited by Elorin; Mar 13, 2006 at 12:15 PM.
SinStealer
Never Odd or Even

Member 2910

Level 4.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:23 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 01:23 AM #19 of 49
Originally Posted by Mana Dragon
Darn, I wanted to make this thread, but at least I'm back to post in it, let's see if I can reach 300+ reviews again, or not.
Sounds like another race coming.

Banzai - Anubis

I'd like to call this an Egyptian pop. The title speaks itself on how it sounds. If my memory serves me right, Anubis is a hound-looking God and the beats of the song makes me imagine dogs dancing, chanting and performing rituals to their God. A nice track from In The Groove.

How ya doing, buddy?
Hauton
Carob Nut

Member 892

Level 5.02

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 03:30 AM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 02:30 AM #20 of 49
STM - Vanish Into Thin Air

A light, breezy kind of techno song. While it is very energetic, the energy is in very light strokes. It just kind of flutters around progressing up and down it's chords and progressions. Really gives that sense that there's a slight gust tossing about. It also helps there's the sound of the wind howling in the background. Overall it's just a very smooth kind of track I like.

Josiah
Normal Gym Leader

Member 412

Level 22.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 02:13 PM #21 of 49
Chrono Trigger - Far Away Memories OC Remix by Neil Benjamin

Normally I don't think of myself as a huge fan of pieces where the main instrument is a guitar. But of those, this remake of 'To Far Away Times' would have to be one of my favorites. The tune itself is memorable, and this remix IMO lives up to the reputation. It sounds like something I'd listen to on a road trip heading home or something. The guitar sounds very relaxing, and makes a very nice 'easy listening' version of the original tune.

SinStealer
Never Odd or Even

Member 2910

Level 4.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 12:39 AM Local time: Mar 16, 2006, 01:39 PM #22 of 49
Orange Lounge - Marmalade Reverie

Of all the Orange Lounge tracks I've heard, this is arguably their best track so far. At first, it didn't seem to be that good. But as I play it over and over again, I've realized that Marmalade Reverie is well done after all. It has the bossa nova upbeat melody that flows naturally along with the ever smooth vocals of Shizue Tokui. The part I like best is during the middle part of song where the beats are smoothly hit marvelously blends the whole instrumentation. Definitely a must-hear for the bossa nova ear.

Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 01:06 AM Local time: Mar 16, 2006, 12:06 AM #23 of 49
CROW'SCLAW - Not For All

This is an original track they made for the King of the Aces High event. Fairly catchy riff, with some parts that remind me of "Thunderkiss 65," and some X-TREME soloing at the end. All in all, nothing earth-shattering here, but a very solid track nonetheless. Everything is in the right place at the right time...it's rock done right.

FELIPE NO

"Castitatis" (Elfen Lied - Lilium ~opening version~)
The Doujin Music Thread | backloggery
Mana Dragon
I'm Back, Where's My Steak?

Member 96

Level 11.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 01:34 PM Local time: Mar 16, 2006, 01:34 PM #24 of 49
Let's see what winamp on shuffle brings up.

Chrono Trigger - Gaurdia Castle ~Courage and Pride~

This is an all time fav orite castle theme for me. The melody is very good, sounds so majestic and full of power, it shines even through the SNES synth. I always liked going to guardia castle just for this song. Makes me almost want to go play CT again.

SinStealer
Never Odd or Even

Member 2910

Level 4.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 12:56 AM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 01:56 PM #25 of 49
All we need is bring back the old timers here again, right?

CLON - Funky Tonight

This Korean street dance-like track has a difference between the original one and the one from Pump It Up. This one from PIU has been inserted with fully synthesized beats but I think the original sounds better than this variation. Quite interesting to listen too and also enjoyable.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > What are you listening to right now? Write a single-track mini-review. (Version 2.0)