Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Classic] IGN launches a retro site, trips over in the process, spills all the milk

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jan 12, 2008, 04:40 AM Local time: Jan 12, 2008, 07:40 PM #1 of 9
IGN launches a retro site, trips over in the process, spills all the milk

Everyone has a giggle. It's obviously very empty at the moment, scraping together old articles from their other sections (Ratchet and Clank history eh? Very retro!) to form the online equivalent of a chicken nugget. I know it's IGN and all, but this could be kinda cool if they put effort into it... oh. Maybe round up ancient dead people for interviews kinda like what UK print mag Retro Gamer does, or flog Edge's Time Extend thing.

At the moment they've got up a piss-poor review of Black Belt on Master System (it's more of a review about the box art) and Last Battle on Mega Drive. What an odd bunch of games to kick off with. I also enjoy that there's already a McDonalds flash ad of someone playing a NES to collect enough money (one dollar) to buy a hamburger that takes up half my screen to celebrate the launch.

So what do you think about the whole retro review thing going on now? =x Seems every site and their robo-dog has been doing it since the Virtual Console service launched (EXCITE BIKE LOOKS WORSE THAN CRYSIS WTF IS THIS), but this goes one step further. I think they should just leave the score off completely, seems kinda useless now. But I think all reviews should leave the scores off so people actually read them instead so boouuurrrrns.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jan 12, 2008, 05:50 AM Local time: Jan 12, 2008, 12:50 PM #2 of 9
Not that I don't support looking into and appreciating the past, but the way most american mags are going about it is at best cringe worthy. Just look at the god damn games, don't make such a huge deal about it in attempt to pretend you actually play old games in between all that BRIBE MONEY.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jan 12, 2008, 06:04 AM Local time: Jan 12, 2008, 05:04 AM 3 #3 of 9
I suggest we deliver a healthy amount of

to IGN in order to get them to shape the fuck up and make this as non-shitty as possible.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Jan 12, 2008, 06:20 AM Local time: Jan 12, 2008, 03:20 AM 1 #4 of 9
Hmmm, that site is really underwhelming for a few reasons. First off, the last generation isn't retro. "I remember FFX as it was just yesterday, the artful keystrokes of 'To Zanarkand' beautifully capturing Kimari's stalwart resolve."

Next, IGN's design is too cluttered. Way, way too cluttered. That sort of design can work in the form of putting up headlines and giving people options, but there's no cycle of news stories taking place on a retro site. It should be about features, tightly focused on, that demand attention. It shouldn't be flooded with three paragraph articles with a score tacked onto the end.

Aaaaaaand I just now realized that I'm looking into this far too seriously after reading that.

Most amazing jew boots

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jan 12, 2008, 06:28 AM Local time: Jan 12, 2008, 09:28 PM #5 of 9
Originally Posted by The Dutchman~Imanuallyquotedthisinsteadofclickingquote !
POW POW POW
Agreed! Everything needs more of that actually. =)

Originally Posted by Qwarky~thistoo!
Not that I don't support looking into and appreciating the past, but the way most american mags are going about it is at best cringe worthy. Just look at the god damn games, don't make such a huge deal about it in attempt to pretend you actually play old games in between all that BRIBE MONEY.
"Oh yeah we totally love the old games, just the other day I played some after giving a stack of new games 9.4 and 9.8 out of ten, I was a bit harsh on the 9.4 but I stand by it"
"So how about those Commodore 64 games? Gonna review any of them?"
"... The what in the what now"

Originally Posted by Dr. Uzuki~I'mtotallyarebelagainstthequotebuttontonight
Hmmm, that site is really underwhelming for a few reasons. First off, the last generation isn't retro. "I remember FFX as it was just yesterday, the artful keystrokes of 'To Zanarkand' beautifully capturing Kimari's stalwart resolve."
Oh man, I just noticed all the Xbox/GBA/whathaveyou in the review section too. ;__; I hope it's just crappy filler and not the early signs of a pointless dumping ground.

Ahaha GAMING2ANIME, good job IGN!

I was speaking idiomatically.
Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:19 AM Local time: Jan 12, 2008, 06:19 PM #6 of 9
Everytime I visit England I actually try to pick up gamesTM. Their normal reviews are so-so (Boiling Point, a good game?) but their retro section is marvelous. Comparisons between the Amiga, C64 and Shitsoft computer system and stuff like that, plus good stories about the games. So worth it. But this...?

(And I really wish people was telling the truth about game reviewers being bribed. I need a new computer, but haven't recieved anything yet )

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Frozen Memories
Mein Donnerkeil

Member 26940

Level 8.46

Dec 2007

Old Jan 12, 2008, 01:51 PM #7 of 9
GREAT job, IGN. I can just see the Halo 1 review articles going in there as retro.

FELIPE NO
Megavolt
Seer

Member 1731

Level 14.36

Mar 2006

Old Jan 12, 2008, 04:32 PM Local time: Jan 12, 2008, 03:32 PM 2 #8 of 9
So what do you think about the whole retro review thing going on now? =x
I don't like it. I hate how a lot of them pretend to accurately 'reevaluate' classic games by current standards, wherein the best score that an excellent classic can get is 8 or 9. Like if every classic game that was considered great is now only as good as your above average PS2 game. I think it diminishes the older games to compare them to big-budget 3D titles. Games should be judged by the standards of their particular era and by what they're able to achieve with what they've got. In that sense an older game can be better than a modern one and vice versa. But that's not how these retro reviewers do it. Instead they enjoy mentioning 'dated' elements and so forth, and even when they have nothing but positive things to say, a retro game likely won't get a 9 or higher. So except in cases where one bias supercedes another (like with Castlevania Symphony of Night, which managed to get an impressive 9.5 in IGN's Xbox 360 virtual console review; but of course it would, seeing as how many people nowadays were reared on the PS1), many older games get judged unfairly.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
~MV
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Jan 12, 2008, 08:08 PM Local time: Jan 13, 2008, 02:08 PM 1 #9 of 9
IGN's whole interface never changes no matter what category they decide to make, and their interface is one that's cluttered, ugly, annoying to navigate, and something I can't be bothered with. Gamespot follows the same rule of thumb here, but it doesn't really matter considering 90% of all credible game reviewers and staff members have left there.

A retro category, eh, who cares. They're just going to mock old games which nobody cares about (or happen to appreciate deeply, thus fueling the IGN hate) or try to spark up interest in games that.. nobody cares about. When I want a review of a retro game, I take out an old magazine, and see if there's one in there. Not all games age well, so obviously reviewing them when they're newly released is a smarter idea.

As mentioned, it's a little odd that people won't give older games a higher score against newer ones, but this is called the age of gaming. People obviously want newer games, hell, some people don't even like 2D. Reviewers on IGN should be reviewing games (or "retro" games) that people care about, or are at least worth playing. Why did someone review Last Battle? I don't imagine a kid going to IGN, looking up locations of Cog Tags in Gears of War, seeing that review and thinking "Oh hell yeah I'm totally going to play this obscure Megadrive game that nobody's heard of since 1994."

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Classic] IGN launches a retro site, trips over in the process, spills all the milk