Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Classic] Terranigma

RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:40 PM Local time: Oct 23, 2007, 10:40 PM 2 #1 of 36
Terranigma

This is by no means a NEW game but I am pleasantly surprised by what I've experienced in Terranigma so far. The game is a almost a cross between Zelda and Secret of Mana with great humor, good gameplay and a pretty darn decent soundtrack.

Is anyone else a big fan?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:07 AM Local time: Oct 23, 2007, 11:07 PM 2 #2 of 36
Wait for the end. It will break your fucking heart (in an awesome way). This is one of the great SNES titles, right up alongside SoM, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Final Fantasy IV and VI etc. And a damned fine addition to the Heaven and Hell series. Pity it never made it over here. I'm bloody thrilled for my imported copy, though.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:26 AM Local time: Oct 23, 2007, 10:26 PM #3 of 36
I liked it quite a bit, though the story didn't hit me nearly as much as Illusion of Gaia's did. Maybe I'd have more fond memories of it if Enix had actually brought it over here during the SNES era instead of having to wait around for me to discover emulation (and the games I hadn't played).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:31 AM Local time: Oct 23, 2007, 11:31 PM 1 #4 of 36
Yeah, I hear that NERD-1. It's one of those "we didn't get it" that just enrages me. That and Suikden Denesetsu III. Utter travesty that they never landed on our shores, given that they both had official English translations.

How ya doing, buddy?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:34 AM Local time: Oct 23, 2007, 10:34 PM #5 of 36
SD3 didn't bother me as much since I didn't really care a ton for the battle system as much as SoM's. Playing it along with all of the newer mediocre Mana games and it just feels like that one started the slide (though it's certainly the second best in the series...not like that's very difficult to do ).

I was speaking idiomatically.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:35 AM Local time: Oct 23, 2007, 11:35 PM #6 of 36
Oh, I hear you on that. Don't make me pull out that fucking WICKED awesome SoM av/sig chain Lurker, Skills and myself rocked to prove it.

SoM is one of the sacrosanct games for me. I just never, ever get tired of it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:36 AM Local time: Oct 24, 2007, 12:36 AM #7 of 36
SoM is one of the sacrosanct games for me. I just never, ever get tired of it.
Yep, Secret of Mana is pretty much a spiritual experience for me. Every facet of the game is so natural and refined. I was pretty much sold after I heard 'Into the thick of it' while fighting rabites in an open field, so every other aspect of the game is merely a complimentary color.

But anyways...

Wait for the end. It will break your fucking heart (in an awesome way). This is one of the great SNES titles, right up alongside SoM, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Final Fantasy IV and VI etc. And a damned fine addition to the Heaven and Hell series. Pity it never made it over here. I'm bloody thrilled for my imported copy, though.
Heaven and Hell series? Would 'Illusion of Gaia' be a member of that series, perhance?

At any rate, great, I look forward to the ending! I am also perplexed that the game never made it stateside, though that hardly matters these days.

I am not sure that it deserves to belong amidst the hallowed SNES RPG pinnacle (FFVI, IV, CT, EB,SOM.) but I am really surprised, more than anything of the overall palette of the game and the pacing.
Not the typical, beat bad guy, save the world type of game by any means and I find it welcome.

For those who haven't checked this game out yet, the game evolves around the very process of evolution itself, not only of character, but of actual world, with economy between nations playing a vital role in the game's sense of development. Its an rpg, yet completely unconventional according to those standards.

Take this for instance...some towns have a tourist center which require you to take pictures of a surrounding area in order to sell their wares (of land and trade) to surrounding nations.

Regarding that. What exactly am I supposed to take pictures of with the camera? The tourist center doesn't seem to want to accept my pictures. (arseholes)

FELIPE NO

Last edited by RainMan; Oct 24, 2007 at 12:43 AM.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:47 AM Local time: Oct 24, 2007, 03:47 PM 2 #8 of 36
This is by no means a NEW game but I am pleasantly surprised by what I've experienced in Terranigma so far. The game is almost a cross between Jesus breakdancing on a skateboarding and the richest, moistest chocolate cake ever with great humor, good gameplay and the best soundtrack the Super Nintendo ever blasted out. THE BEST.

THE BEST.

Is anyone else a big fan?
I agree, and yes! PROUD TO HAVE A GIRLY MOMENT AT THE ENDING. Terranigma was a massive stealth release here, local gaming magazines made no mention of it coming at all, just appeared in stores one day. I was pretty starved for any sort of adventure-ish RPG-ish sort of thing since we missed out on all the good SquareSoft junk. "Can we have Chrono Trigger?" "Nah here's Secret of Evermore" "Hmm". So this was an explosion of some kind of magic. I WISH I DIDN'T FUCKING SELL IT AFTER FINISHING IT.

I've never seen another copy since. ;_;

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Infernal Monkey; Oct 24, 2007 at 12:53 AM.
xiaowei
Bear Leisure

Member 792

Level 16.30

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 01:48 AM #9 of 36
Yeah, I hear that NERD-1. It's one of those "we didn't get it" that just enrages me. That and Suikden Denesetsu III. Utter travesty that they never landed on our shores, given that they both had official English translations.
SD3 was okay. It's an earth shattering disappointment after playing Secret of Mana. My godbrother had the original cartridge back in the day and he and I would play that to no end. God the memories. However, I'm really glad that Neill Corlett did a translation of it and released it. Searching for ROMs is really what got me into understand the interwebs and start exploring it.

But seriously, I do get the the anger of not releasing it. I mean, it's not like Secret of Mana didn't sell well or anything.

I liked it quite a bit, though the story didn't hit me nearly as much as Illusion of Gaia's did. Maybe I'd have more fond memories of it if Enix had actually brought it over here during the SNES era instead of having to wait around for me to discover emulation (and the games I hadn't played).
Really? I haven't been able to finish Illusion of Gaia, because it bored me. Maybe I should give it another shot.

Terranigma has to be in my top 10 games, and most definitely one of my top RPGs. The ending brought tears to my eyes. The music is amazing also. Crysta is just so beautiful. Undoubtedly makes me sigh a bit whenever I hear it.

This is like a blast from the past. When I used to scour the internet looking for translated ROMs like Front Mission and Rudra's Secret Treasure. Anyone remember DeJap and J2E Translations? And loading IPS patches?

Last edited by xiaowei; Oct 24, 2007 at 02:07 AM.
The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 02:17 AM Local time: Oct 24, 2007, 12:17 AM #10 of 36
Oh god yes I remember DeJap. I had the beta translation patch for Tales of Phantasia. <333 that game to this very day.

PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 02:28 AM Local time: Oct 24, 2007, 12:28 AM #11 of 36
Oh god yes I remember DeJap. I had the beta translation patch for Tales of Phantasia. <333 that game to this very day.
Haha, yes, I remember that! Fucks like a tiger! Hehe... the whole boat scene was awesome. Couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw it...

This thread is making me want to try Terranigma again. The first time I tried it, it seemed very slow and it couldn't keep my attention. That was years and years ago, though. Perhaps it deserves another chance.

I loved Illusion of Gaia, though.

Last edited by PiccoloNamek; Oct 24, 2007 at 02:37 AM.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 03:27 AM Local time: Oct 24, 2007, 02:27 AM #12 of 36
Yeah, Seiken Densetsu 3 was nothing compared to glory to Allah that was Secret of Mana. And god, do I ever remember DeJap and those boys. The ToP translation, Bahamut Lagoon, Mother 0 etc. Twinbee.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Oct 24, 2007, 03:49 AM Local time: Oct 24, 2007, 03:49 AM #13 of 36
This thread is making me want to try Terranigma again. The first time I tried it, it seemed very slow and it couldn't keep my attention.
This is Exactly the same initial reaction that I had. It seemed really slow paced in the opening and its taken me a fairly long amount of time to give Terranigma a chance.
I think the first 5 dungeons seem a lot longer than they are...I can only advise you to stick with it. After you get those 5 dungeons out of the way, the game REALLY picks up.

The world of Terranigma goes from dark and cold to extremely bright and hopeful very quickly. The scope of the game at large, isn't at all about just going from dungeon to dungeon beating the obligatory enemies and bosses with a few puzzles thrown in to drag out the experience, at all.
Its unfortunate because the beginning kind of sets it up for that...which makes the deviation from that principle later in the game all the more sweeter.

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 08:38 AM Local time: Oct 24, 2007, 01:38 PM 2 #14 of 36
Terranigma is definitely one of my favourite games. I first played it like four years ago and the whole time I couldn't shut up to people about how awesome it was. And none of them gave a shit and went back to playing Fifa '03. It's unique, charming, playable and tragically overlooked. Here's hoping it sees a VC release sometime in the not-too-distant future.

Quote:
Yeah, Seiken Densetsu 3 was nothing compared to glory to Allah that was Secret of Mana.
I think I'm the only person in the world who thinks otherwise...

Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 08:58 AM #15 of 36

Heaven and Hell series? Would 'Illusion of Gaia' be a member of that series, perhance?

Yeah, there's 3 games I think.

Soul Blazer (which is basically like a beta of Terranigma, but still awesome in its own way. Especially the soundtrack!)
Illusions of Gaia
Terranigma

In that order I believe.

FELIPE NO
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 09:02 AM Local time: Oct 25, 2007, 12:02 AM #16 of 36
Ah, Illusion of Gaia Time. That was also awesome. Man, what happened Enix, you used to be cool. I blame Midway and LA Rush.

chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:30 PM #17 of 36
Hands down, I enjoyed this more than Secret of Mana 1. Enix was probably the prince of SNES titles. Terranigma, IMO, gave me not the gameplay and story but the music was like the 3-4th best soundtrack I heard from an enix game. Im surprised this was never rehashed for a gba game. If that's the case, I want a remake!.

Funny how this thread is made. I just looked at a game magizine (hardcore gamers) for this month and they have a 2page article on Terranigma in the Graveyard page. I'll post it whenever I get the chance.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 06:55 PM Local time: Oct 24, 2007, 05:55 PM #18 of 36

Soul Blazer (which is basically like a beta of Terranigma, but still awesome in its own way. Especially the soundtrack!)
Illusions of Gaia
Terranigma

In that order I believe.
Actraiser gets tossed in there quite a bit, too.

Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 07:29 PM Local time: Oct 24, 2007, 04:29 PM 1 #19 of 36
I really enjoyed the game when I first played it four years ago. The gameplay was fun, the story was interesting, and I didn't recall having many complaints about it. Of course, I still remember the ending even if I only played the game once. Definitely a favorite of mine.

Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 07:42 PM #20 of 36
Terranigma, despite also having discovered it within the emulation phase of mine, is one of my fondest RPG memories ever.

I like most the fact that you are literally saving the world through recreation rather than (right away at least) saving it from a generic villain. The cg scenes actually touched me, giving a strong impression that you were really making a difference. From the first seeds of plant life in the world, to the birth of humans. I got chills down my spine (and just now too :$) thinking about such a grand accomplishment, and the gratitude that the lifeforms return to you in kind throughout your quest.

The music was absolutely awesome as well. "Sealed" is chillingly serene. The adventurous music of Grecliff and Eklemata was really driving and exciting.

Very interesting memories of that darn Bloody Mary boss too, her being one of the "level checkpoint" kinds of bosses, like Nabu in Sailor Moon Another Story, or every boss in 7th Saga.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Summonmaster; Oct 24, 2007 at 07:45 PM.
niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 07:59 PM Local time: Oct 25, 2007, 02:59 AM #21 of 36
Terranigma is definitely one of my favourite games. I first played it like four years ago and the whole time I couldn't shut up to people about how awesome it was. And none of them gave a shit and went back to playing Fifa '03. It's unique, charming, playable and tragically overlooked. Here's hoping it sees a VC release sometime in the not-too-distant future.

I think I'm the only person in the world who thinks otherwise...
I'm with you, mate.

And yeah, same as Infernal. That game just magically appeared in the stores in full PS/Saturn anticipation era without anyone ever hearing about it before that. I was amazed it was actually a PAL only release after I checked on it. I was poor back then though, and never bought it.

Oh well, I love the music and do plan on playing it one of these days ... like a good dozen of others ... ^_^;

Last edited by niki; Oct 24, 2007 at 08:01 PM.
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 08:25 PM #22 of 36
Quote:
This is like a blast from the past. When I used to scour the internet looking for translated ROMs like Front Mission and Rudra's Secret Treasure. Anyone remember DeJap and J2E Translations? And loading IPS patches?
Heh, you make this sound like it's something from the past. There are plenty of games out there still getting translations from groups like AGTP (Gideon is a very hard worker...) or independent groups like the people from FESS who are slowly translating the Fire Emblem games. (They did pretty much finish 6 for the GBA; just some cosmetic work left that they'll probably never bother with.) =P

Romhacking.net PSN: Kyuuen XBL: Kyuuen
RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Oct 25, 2007, 03:08 AM Local time: Oct 25, 2007, 03:08 AM #23 of 36

Illusions of Gaia
Terranigma

In that order I believe.
Cool man. Soul BLAZER. Damn, that was a great game too.

Speaking of the soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z72HGjXZ8bA

Its pretty cool for the first 3/4 of the song, then kind of gets lackadaisical, but definitely cool overall. I love how all the music for the series is similiar in quality, in a way. Very introspective music, relaxed and purposeful and what not.

FELIPE NO
Zuare
Chocobo

Member 392

Level 9.00

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2007, 11:25 AM Local time: Oct 25, 2007, 04:25 PM 1 #24 of 36

Illusions of Gaia
Terranigma

In that order I believe.
There is an article on Hardcore Gaming about this series.
I played Illusion of Gaia/Time a few years ago and really enjoyed it, so I should really give this a try.

jb1234
Good Chocobo

Member 1985

Level 15.40

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2007, 03:33 PM #25 of 36
I've been playing through Terranigma lately and I like the game but I think Soul Blazer remains my favorite (one that I've replayed over and over again).

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Classic] Terranigma