Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Classic] Final Fantasy VI Advanced

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 08:40 PM Local time: Feb 6, 2007, 07:40 PM #101 of 282
The main reason I'm leary of changing "Momma" to "Brother" is that it could give newbies the impression that Shadow has a brother, which to my knowledge he does not. There's a possibility his friend in the flashback could be related, but since they never state otherwise, we merely assume it's his partner and nothing more.

Also, wasn't Mog's official age something like 13? A bit too young to have a lover or wife, right (or are Moogle years different from human years)?
No, dude... they changed it to he would kill his best friend. It's actually much more fitting.

How ya doing, buddy?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 08:43 PM #102 of 282
Hmm, I read on GAF that it was "brother", but it looks like the poster goofed and admitted it was "best friend".

So there goes my previous rant. Still, the lack of sprite on female-sprite violence upsets me.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 09:09 PM #103 of 282
I'm at the part where you choose from the three parties Yay! Oh, and I think the bit about the battle slowdown is greatly exaggerated. It felt just fine to me, and loading time between screens is only three measly seconds long. As for the music, I don't think the dip in quality is that bad, but since I'm mainly going to play it on the bus anyway, I won't even be putting the sound on.
Oh, and the music supposedly sounds a lot better if you use headphones. Try it.

The Leafer is now called a...Leaf Bunny.

I like the new translation. It sounds more natural to me.

P.S. My little sister stole the game to play now.

FELIPE NO

Shaolin Samurai
Top Tier

Member 2005

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 09:18 PM #104 of 282
It really is ridiculous for that one scene to be removed from a game that also depicts
Spoiler:
the wholesale slaughter of countless soldiers, a stabbing, a guy getting fried by a magic lightning bolt and tossed away miles above the earth to plummet to his death, people getting crushed by giant slabs of shifting earth, the poisoning of an entire kingdom including civilians, among other things.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:05 PM #105 of 282
No, there's something even worse than all those put together.

Spoiler:
Celes' attempted suicide.

I'm not exactly sure if that scene was kept here, but I haven't read anyone saying it was removed, so I assume it's still there.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:17 PM #106 of 282
Yup, the only scene outright altered was Celes being punched. Pretty sad, but you have the Japanese to blame for it plain and simple. That or terrorism. -- I'd rather just blame the Japanese for being prudes about it though.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:19 PM #107 of 282
I can't wait for the FFVII remake when they edit out Sephiroth's sword going through Aerith's chest. Maybe he'll just scare her to death.

This edit bothers me a great deal, because I always felt they put a substantial effort in the whole scene. Celes even has an exclusive sprite animation just for that part alone. I just don't get it.

Spoiler:
are they even going to show Cyan's dead son, lying on his bed?

Most amazing jew boots
Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:31 PM #108 of 282
I heard that Locke's infamous line, "I'll rip your lungs out!" was changed, so does anyone know the new line? I'm dying to find out.

Most amazing jew boots
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2007, 01:59 AM #109 of 282
Not sure, but I prefer if it was altered. A bit out of character to have him rage out on some poor bastard.

I played up to the escape from Figaro, so here's some various impressions, both technical and literary.

1. I was disappointed that a new intro wasn't created like with FFIVA.

2. Music overall is done quite well (keep in mind I was using headphones). The opening theme in the snow is handled pretty much flawlessly, and I actually like this version of the standard battle theme over the original (sounds a little more lively). Where the music does suffer though is any song that uses a piano, like the Title Screen music. Pretty bad snythwork, there. Also, the Narche theme sounds much more like an FFVII tune (or maybe it always has, it's been a while).

I just hope Relm's theme ends up less annoying, not more.

3. Sound effects is a mixed bag. The worst offenders are the blowing wind in the beginning, and the lightning crack whenever a boss died. The latter was always one of my favorite oldschool sound effects, so I'm sad to hear it downgraded.

4. Slowdown isn't nearly as bad as people mentioned, although I've yet to do any major moves with a full party. Seems to be the most slowdown whenever I'm casting magic. Also, there may have been slowdown during cutscenes, or the text moves slower than it did originally (doesn't seem I can adjust it, either).

The most slowdown occured when I was riding the Chocobo. Moving straight was fine, but left or right turns were super slow.

5. You can sprint with the B button, and there's a quicksave feature, just like the last GBA games.

Now about the translation.

The new translation is an absolute plus so far. It does a lot more than just rephrase things, you also learn some extra bits of information that may interest longtime fans. Some of the more classic lines have been kept, too, despite the change of submariner to sandworm.

1. I particularly liked Biggs and Wedge's line about the Slave Crown.

Spoiler:
"She won't even breathe unless we tell her to."

2. They still say that the first boss absorbs lightning, even though lightning attacks still hurt it.

3. They corrected the line about the Narche soldiers wanting "the girl and her magitek armor".

4. Many of Locke's lines are intact.

5. Thankfully, his over the top and rather assholish line about Terra being a "magitek riding, fire burning witch" has been nixed.

6. Molulu is indeed in the game, and is in the same party as Mog.

7. The Empire is reffered to as "The Gestahlian Empire"

8. Kefka's rank is "Court Mage". There goes the theory that he was the third general.

9. Many of Kefka's lines are kept intact, including his "Uwee hee hee hee" laugh. Although I smiled a bit at his new exclaimed line of "GO! KILL THEM!!!"

10. His laugh sound effect is also faithfully reproduced.

11. Edgar truly does hit on anything that moves, young or old alike.

12. The Beavis and Butthead reference is still intact.

13. The scene where Locke and Edgar react to Terra's magic is even funnier, although the final line makes even less sense.

14. "Eh, who-might-you-be" is gone, thankfully.

15. Trap chests are still called "Monster-in-a-box"

16. Potions "taste funny", finally answering an old question of mine on whether FF potions are taken orally or applied on the injured skin. Also, they taste funny. :/

17. Jump is now "Dragoon Boost". Nice.

18. Cyan's skill is "Bushido". Forgot what it was called previously (Knight?).

EDIT: Oh shit, that's hilarious.

Spoiler:
"If we allow the emperor to continue amassing weapons of Magitek destruction...

Also, equipping sprint shoes and using the B button to dash while wearing them will have you run 4x as fast, but your sprite suppsodely glitches up something fierce if you do this.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Soldier; Feb 7, 2007 at 02:38 AM.
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2007, 03:10 AM #110 of 282
Yup, the only scene outright altered was Celes being punched. Pretty sad, but you have the Japanese to blame for it plain and simple. That or terrorism. -- I'd rather just blame the Japanese for being prudes about it though.
For the record, the scene was pulled from the Japanese release apparently because there's been some kind of big surge in kidnappings/beatings in Japan recently, and given the current mood they felt it best to remove the scene. I'd heard that previously, and then there was apparently a thread on 2ch about it, so there may be some legitimacy to that. I think that scene was in the original JP SF release, and if it was that more or less confirms it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Shaolin Samurai
Top Tier

Member 2005

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2007, 03:28 AM #111 of 282
I heard that Locke's infamous line, "I'll rip your lungs out!" was changed, so does anyone know the new line? I'm dying to find out.
"That's not very nice."

FELIPE NO
Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2007, 07:17 AM #112 of 282
"That's not very nice."
That's not exactly right.

After I posted last night, I actually went ahead to see the scene for myself, and the actual line is, "Well that was very rude. I am a TREASURE HUNTER, and don't you forget it!"

Okay, so the threat is more subdued, but it still gets the job done.

Jamma
Nuts! Gotta get to Narshe on the fly...

Member 3119

Level 10.58

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2007, 10:33 AM Local time: Feb 7, 2007, 03:33 PM #113 of 282
Here
Now that's a better picture of Locke.

Merchant: "You’re that thief, Locke, aren’t you?"
Locke: "Hey! Call me a Treasure Hunter, or I’ll rip your lungs out!"

Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2007, 12:16 PM #114 of 282
18. Cyan's skill is "Bushido". Forgot what it was called previously (Knight?).
It was originally called "SwdTech" in the previous games.

Quote:
Also, equipping sprint shoes and using the B button to dash while wearing them will have you run 4x as fast, but your sprite suppsodely glitches up something fierce if you do this.
Sounds like the PSX version of sprint shoes where you become essentially uncontrollable if you dash with Sprint Shoes on. The sprite never actually glitched up back then though, you'd just have like a grand total of 2 frames of your character running with a scrolling background.

Now that's a better picture of Locke.
That's not a bad picture of Terra either.

Damn, now I really want the game. Whenever my DS gets back from repair (L button is dead), I'm going to go out and buy FF4 - FF6 and FFTA. That's like $100 there. Final Fantasy Tactics needs a remake on the DS. Not the Advance version, but the original.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2007, 12:51 PM #115 of 282
Haha, I bought the sprint Shoes and I was moving so fast (along with dash) that it was too hard to get the character to go where I wanted it to :D I then accidently turned off the game (oops!) without saving so I never brought it again. Dash is good enough for me, thank you. I didn't witness any glitches while using the sprint shoes though.

As for the game itself, it's great. I know some people may cry foul over the line changes and stuff, but they're just words. As long as the new lines send the same message, it's just fine with me.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Freelance; Feb 7, 2007 at 12:59 PM.
Cyrus XIII
Good Chocobo

Member 554

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2007, 06:59 PM Local time: Feb 8, 2007, 12:59 AM #116 of 282
SOLDIER, your memory of the old translation appears to be more vivid than mine, what's your impression so far - does the GBA port really contain all the dialog Woolsey had to leave out back in the day, due to capacity issues?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
DjMeas
~VGM Composer~

Member 2154

Level 15.68

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2007, 07:27 PM Local time: Feb 7, 2007, 05:27 PM #117 of 282
Playing through the game, the one thing that really bothers me is there's no Button Config ^_^''

I'd really rather have X as the Menu and switching to members with full ATB than always pressing Start (menu) and Select (Switch). They're small and clicky (I dunno, it just bugs me haha).

Shaolin Samurai
Top Tier

Member 2005

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2007, 08:29 PM #118 of 282
X button? Keep in mind this is a GBA game...

How ya doing, buddy?
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2007, 08:30 PM #119 of 282
For the record, the scene was pulled from the Japanese release apparently because there's been some kind of big surge in kidnappings/beatings in Japan recently, and given the current mood they felt it best to remove the scene. I'd heard that previously, and then there was apparently a thread on 2ch about it, so there may be some legitimacy to that. I think that scene was in the original JP SF release, and if it was that more or less confirms it.
That was my point. I know it wasn't there in the Japanese release, which is why I said to blame Japan. (Or to blame terrorism -- maybe that was poorly worded; though kidnapping is pretty much the same thing, no?)

Either way I fail to see the point when the entire game itself really does promote worse things, and I doubt, in all honesty, anyone gave a shit if the scene was there or not. I guess people are just irrational when it comes to things like this though.

FELIPE NO
DjMeas
~VGM Composer~

Member 2154

Level 15.68

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2007, 11:36 PM Local time: Feb 7, 2007, 09:36 PM #120 of 282
X button? Keep in mind this is a GBA game...
LOL!!!!

Oh man, i was so caught up playing it on my DS that i forgot it was for the GBA....

<----- Idiot

Spoiler:
are they even going to show Cyan's dead son, lying on his bed?

Yea, it's still there

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:05 AM #121 of 282
I like how this game is sold out everywhere. The only place it existed was in the mall in pre-ordered form. At least the lady at Gamestop said if I come in tomorrow, then I can get one since the 48 hour new release holding time would be up.

I'll try wal-mart tonight, first.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:56 AM #122 of 282
Quote:
SOLDIER, your memory of the old translation appears to be more vivid than mine, what's your impression so far - does the GBA port really contain all the dialog Woolsey had to leave out back in the day, due to capacity issues?
It pretty much uses Woolsey's translation as a base, then builds around it, rephrasing some words for a more accurate translation, or outright replacing some of the more bizzare/incorrect/lame dialogue. I'm not sure exactly how much text was left out of the original, but there's definetely some additional lines of text that weren't present in the SNES version, such as when you battle Vargas for instance.

Damn Blitz; it took me two attempts to remember the timing for them, along with adjusting to using the DS pad for input. I've never really figured out if moves like Raging Fist have to be done quickly.

Banon's class is "Oracle", and his heal ability is "Pray". I'll assume this isn't a magical spell in the context of the story, even though it's a White Mage move. I never really could figure out how they could tell the difference between artificial magic (magitek) like what Celes uses or the real stuff like what Terra has.

Ultros:
"Ooh, what a delicious morsel! I'd love to get my tentacles around her! *SLUUUURP*"

How ya doing, buddy?
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Feb 8, 2007, 01:16 AM #123 of 282
None of them have to be done fast -- speed doesn't matter, just try to be accurate.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Feb 8, 2007, 01:28 AM #124 of 282
I've tried to do Left, Right, Left A as slow and precise as possible, but I fail every time. It works a lot better for me if I do the commands quickly, though that seems to only be the case for Raging Fist; I can take my time with his other moves, and they register fine.

How ya doing, buddy?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 8, 2007, 04:00 AM Local time: Feb 8, 2007, 03:00 AM #125 of 282
I've had no problem with the input of raging fist, Soldier. Maybe your DS just has screwy controls.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Classic] Final Fantasy VI Advanced