Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Classic] Final Fantasy VI Advanced

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Jan 31, 2007, 06:33 AM #1 of 282
Final Fantasy VI Advanced

Didn't see a thread on this (of course it's late and I'm tired while sifting through a few pages to see if it was mentioned). It comes out next week, Feb. 5th on GBA.

We all know the story. It's about Espers and Magitek machines, the evil Empire and the Returners.

There's a teaser site up I found:

http://ffvi.nintendo.com/teaser/

I've looked on some gaming sites and really can't find any new info on this, unless I'm not looking in the right places.

Some of the options in the game include:

* Fourteen playable characters. Divide them into separate parties, splitting adventuring time between each.
* Summon the power of the espers, magical creatures enslaved by the Empire.
* Improved graphics, a new translation, and a remixed soundtrack.
* Study your foes with the Bestiary, then face them all in continuous battle in the Soul Shrine.
* Relive your favorite songs in the bonus music player.

The Soul Shrine sounds interesting enough.

Anyone else looking forward to this? I'll be sure to try and get my hands on it next week. (only because I couldn't find the edgar smiley )

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Jan 31, 2007, 06:56 AM #2 of 282
Improved graphics? Why? Now Locke's hair will probably be blond(e?) instead of gray now. BOOOOO!!!!! The original graphics were fine :(

I haven't decided if I'm going to get the game yet. While I liked it, I hated the WoR part of the game although that wouldn't be a good enough reason not to get it. After what I read about the American version of FFIV too, I'm hesitant to get this one until I read up on it first.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Freelance; Jan 31, 2007 at 04:23 PM.
Hindman
Good Chocobo

Member 3792

Level 15.57

Mar 2006

Old Jan 31, 2007, 02:08 PM Local time: Jan 31, 2007, 12:08 PM #3 of 282
Remember kids: there is only one 'd' in "Advance."

Anyway, 4 Advance and 5 Advance are the definitive ways to play those games. Hopefully this will be no different.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Hindman; Jan 31, 2007 at 02:12 PM.
ctu
...and... loving it

Member 439

Level 19.07

Mar 2006

Old Jan 31, 2007, 02:14 PM #4 of 282
Well If I had a GBA I would have bought this to, but since I don't I'll just download it and play it on a emulator.

Most amazing jew boots
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jan 31, 2007, 03:15 PM Local time: Jan 31, 2007, 02:15 PM #5 of 282
4 Advance ... definitive ways to play those games.
I wouldn't go that far. That bloody double or triple turn bug was so bad that it made the game easier than...well, Easytype.

That said, the new espers intrigue me. As does all the bonus fights. Gilgamesh = :swoon:

I was speaking idiomatically.
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Jan 31, 2007, 04:36 PM #6 of 282
OK I saw some screenshots of said game and I don't see any improved graphics. So what exactly was improved? Good to see that Locke looks the same after all. Wooo!

Looks like I may pick this up after all.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
B.K.
Chocobo

Member 974

Level 9.89

Mar 2006

Old Jan 31, 2007, 06:20 PM #7 of 282
OK I saw some screenshots of said game and I don't see any improved graphics. So what exactly was improved?
I've played a bit of the Japanese ROM and I didn't see any enhancements in the graphics at all. They look the same to me.

FELIPE NO
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Jan 31, 2007, 07:32 PM #8 of 282
It's actually a bit worse when you consider how slow the airship is now on the world map, and the slowdown for intense full screen magic spells. After FFV, I thought VI might be better but I'm actually pretty disappointed that VI turned out so mediocre.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jan 31, 2007, 07:37 PM Local time: Jan 31, 2007, 06:37 PM #9 of 282
I actually always thought the airship moved too quickly in the first one... small complaint, but it being slower won't upset me.

How ya doing, buddy?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jan 31, 2007, 07:48 PM #10 of 282
This is good news indeed...

Unless it's like the PSX remake which was plagued by ridiculous slowdown (which, now that I think about it, it's reading off a cartridge and not a CD, so this problem should not be present)

New Espers? This might be interesting, would it mean new spells or just faster learning and obscene stat boosts?

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
B.K.
Chocobo

Member 974

Level 9.89

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:55 AM #11 of 282
RPGamer has posted their review of the game.

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff6g...gbastrev1.html

Quote:
The localization has been redone as promised. Each character feels closer to their true nature, more straightforward with how they feel, and there is definitely less confusion regarding the mysterious Siegfried. Some of the changes may be unwelcome because they change familiar names into peculiar names. These changes include retranslations of the esper Tritoch (now Valigarmanda), the esper Palidor (now Queztalli, not even Quetzalcoatl) and the relic Moogle Charm (now Molulu's Charm). Kefka's classic submariner line has also changed. Ultros, however, does not follow its Final Fantasy XII counterpart's name change and remains the same.
I wonder how many fanboys will protest because of that.

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 01:55 AM #12 of 282
Some of those changes are pretty surprising. Retranslating Palidor seems really unnecessary, and the Moogle Charm made perfect sense before since it was found in the Moogles' cave. Why would it be changed to Molulu? Kefka's submariner line was something that I expected to be changed though, so that's not really disappointing.

I still intend to pick this up the day it's released. Portable FF VI will be an awesome way to kill time between classes, and this is one game I never get tired of replaying.

Quote:
These changes include retranslations of the esper Tritoch (now Valigarmanda)
Owned like hell.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by The Plane Is A Tiger; Feb 1, 2007 at 02:00 AM.
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 02:01 AM Local time: Jan 31, 2007, 11:01 PM #13 of 282
I actually always thought the airship moved too quickly in the first one... small complaint, but it being slower won't upset me.
It felt too fast for me as well, so I'm curious to see how the new airship will be in this one.

Tritoch's new name is rather interesting though.

Xaekid
Generic Ninja

Member 9982

Level 7.89

Jul 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 02:16 AM Local time: Feb 1, 2007, 01:16 AM #14 of 282
I wonder what does Kefka say now instead of submariner? Oh well, will find out in a few days.

The War of the Lions

Last edited by Xaekid; Feb 1, 2007 at 02:24 AM.
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 11:29 AM Local time: Feb 1, 2007, 09:29 AM #15 of 282
Owned like hell.
Haha. To pull a line from another Final Fantasy: Existence denied.

And to pull another line used just about every single hour of every single day: :trifail:

I'm really looking forward to this game [so I can not summon Tritoch].

FELIPE NO
waka waka

sanemonkey • twitter • last.fm • gfw • backlog • youtube • xbox
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 11:33 AM #16 of 282
Watch Gau speak better english than Cyan in the new translation.

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:14 PM #17 of 282
Requesting GFF Tritoch's name be changed to Valigarmanda.

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 04:00 PM #18 of 282
http://ffvi.nintendo.com/launch/

Site launched.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 04:08 PM Local time: Feb 1, 2007, 03:08 PM #19 of 282
Good god. RELEASE GAME NOW. MUST HAVE.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 05:22 PM #20 of 282
What the hell is Valigarmanda? and Molulu?

Never mind that, exactly what is "new" and not renamed?

The graphics look the same, except maybe the font has been turned into the Game Boy Advance Font. And apparently, there is now Leviathan, Gilgamesh, and Cactuar for summons. Looks like they just took the summons from the other games. But hell, I'm not complaining. except for Cactuar, which is (or was) a normal enemy in the game. The soundtrack that's been "remixed" isn't nearly as good as the original either.

But hell, it's Final Fantasy VI, it has to kick ass.

I'm about to have the first 6 Final Fantasy games playable on my DS now, albeit only one is for the DS. If only Final Fantasy Tactics made it to the DS......ah, but I guess you can't have everything.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2007, 06:25 PM #21 of 282
Lovely. Just lovely.

I was going to make this thread first thing yesterday, but the site goes down. Soon as it comes back up, I had to do some personal stuff. The second I finish it, I'm beaten to the punch.

Bitter much.

Anyway, despite being only halfway done with FFXII, barely 2 hours thru FFIII DS, the extra dungeons in FFIVA, and not even close to done with FFI+II, I will absolutely make time for Final Fantasy VI Advance. SE Japan is dubbing this the "Finest Fantasy", and while I still personally debate that, I won't argue that Final Fantasy VI is, overall, the best entry in the series.

This'll be the third time I buy this game, and I have no problems with that. It'll be worth the money for the new translation alone; based on the few snippets I've seen, the new translation does a better job of phrasing certain lines into a more correct context. For example:

Spoiler:
Original: Banon: "This is the girl who can talk to Espers?"

GBA: Banon: "So this is the girl whom the Esper responded to."

And while most fans will be upset that some of Kefka's wackier lines have been nixed, I'm personally looking forward to seeing his madness in full force, no longer restrained to keeping the game semi family friendly.

There are, however, two of Kefka's lines that I adore and hope remain in the GBA version.

Spoiler:
"Run, Run! Or you'll be well done!"

"Nothing beats the sound of hundreds of people screaming in unison."

That said, I've learned of one unfortunate censorship.

Spoiler:
Celes' beating by the Imprerial soldiers has been skipped completely. In this version, Locke enters her cell and finds her unconscious on the floor. She isn't even chained up anymore.

Now there's a chance the NA version will put this scene back, as recent events in Japan was the likely cause for this removal (the same reason FFXII's far tamer scene of imprisonment was taken out), but I'll be quite upset if it isn't; this was one of my favorite scenes in the game, as it shows a level of brutality that's rarely shown in the FF series (most times the characters are imprisoned, their confinement appears almost comfortable).

Another cool addition not mentioned is that the characters now have Job Titles under their names in the menu. Terra is a "Magitek Elite." Badass.

Last edited by Soldier; Feb 2, 2007 at 06:30 PM.
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2007, 07:50 PM #22 of 282
They censored out the Celes beating scene? Damn, I was hoping they'd give us a version without the censorships the SNES version received in the US.

What the hell is Valigarmanda? and Molulu?

Never mind that, exactly what is "new" and not renamed?

The graphics look the same, except maybe the font has been turned into the Game Boy Advance Font. And apparently, there is now Leviathan, Gilgamesh, and Cactuar for summons. Looks like they just took the summons from the other games. But hell, I'm not complaining. except for Cactuar, which is (or was) a normal enemy in the game. The soundtrack that's been "remixed" isn't nearly as good as the original either.
I think the big thing that's completely new is the Dragon's Den dungeon. Not sure if there's an actual point to it like FF IV Advance's extra challenges for each character, though.

I still can't figure out why they'd change Moogle Charm to Molulu's Charm. There's not really a more appropriate name for a relic found in the Moogles' cave and only equippable by Mog.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2007, 07:53 PM #23 of 282
Aside from that and Siren's bare bottom, what else was censored? From what I heard, the only thing cut was some additional text here and there.

I remember way back reading some bullshit about how the Japanese version implied that Celes was raped, but I had doubts then, and I certainly have doubts now.

Also, even though the game is older than "AERIS DIES VII", we should mark spoilers for the newbies.

Quote:
I still can't figure out why they'd change Moogle Charm to Molulu's Charm.
Maybe Molulu is his girlfriend.

Bonus Dungeon Final Boss:

EDIT: I guess you can't hide youtube thumbnails.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Soldier; Feb 2, 2007 at 07:59 PM.
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2007, 08:18 PM #24 of 282
Bonus Dungeon Final Boss:

EDIT: I guess you can't hide youtube thumbnails.
That boss looks badass. This just keeps getting more interesting the more I hear about it. The graphics are about the same as the original, with the exception of the text being in a different font. Good to hear the soundtrack is still in place, or at least that song, I loved FFVI's soundtrack.

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2007, 09:18 PM #25 of 282
That song there is, in my opinion, the best Boss Theme ever. It never gets old, and I really wish they would arrange it just once.

Despite the bonus dungeon, new translation and new summons, I still wish there was more content added to the game's story. I feel there were too many things that weren't fully resolved, especially

Spoiler:
the period between Terra being taken in by Gestahl as a child up to her enslavement with the Slave Crown. What happened during those 17 years? Did she ever meet or know Celes at that time? For that matter, do the many similarities, physical or otherwise, between Terra and Celes just a coincidence?

Sure, there's always the chance that FFVI could get the luxury of a Compilation like FFVII, but some of these questions could've been addressed in this port.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Classic] Final Fantasy VI Advanced