Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Classic] Nintendo vs. Seaga: Anyone else miss those days?

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:33 AM Local time: Jun 18, 2009, 05:33 PM #26 of 40
Jaguar & 3DO have the only Wolf3D ports so I had to buy them
Techinically, Return to Castle Wolfenstein on the Xbox had Wolf3D built in as a bonus when you finished the game. Was a damn good game in it's own right too. One of my friends had a Jaguar I think, was it that that had the great Aliens vs Predator game on it?

Also, I have to say my favourite Doom 2 levels are the secret Wolfenstein levels.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
leaf
Leaf, not Leech

Member 11406

Level 6.55

Aug 2006

Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:42 AM Local time: Jun 18, 2009, 06:42 PM #27 of 40
RTCW: Tides Of War has Wolf3D? Didn't know.

Another strange case. To be really honest I bought Jag also for that AVP. And it was some sort of disappointment. No music, awful training maze floor, going through ducts over the acidic bodies of killed Xenomorphs and a gem: respawning Aliens. I had to save in lifts, because if I don't and then load, three Aliens could respawn next to me slicing & dicing me in seconds even though I cleared entire floor before saving. I think it was a good game, but not great. The best Alien-themed game I've completed is... Alien Trilogy. Best Alien mood was in Alien Resurrection - but I haven't completed it. Tough as hell on joypad.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:19 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2009, 06:19 PM 1 #28 of 40
At least it's a label I can live with. XD

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:29 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2009, 10:29 AM 1 #29 of 40
Shin, I think the party games in college was mostly about the kinds of games you and your buddies were into. We'd do racing games occasionally, but it would usually fall back on smash brothers, mario tennis, mario kart, and maybe some other game for a change of pace. A few of us were into FPS games, but we preferred playing stuff like Unreal Tournament on the PC instead of console variants.

And none of us actually owned a full set of controllers for the N64 or Gamecube. My roommate and I shared a console, and one of our friends had two controllers, so between our group we'd manage to get something for everyone.

And, to be fair, I did only own a PS2, but I hardly had any two player games since I'm just a giant nerd. The only one I can remember sinking decent amounts of time into was Starsky & Hutch since I had a light gun and our dorm freshman year had a 50"+ TV in the common room.

Oh, and nobody had better forget about Tetris Attack. I played my one friend every night for two years until he finally beat me (he had practiced every night over the summer of junior year so he could finally manage).

I was speaking idiomatically.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:57 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2009, 06:57 PM #30 of 40
We used to play a lot Gran Turismo at uni, either vs or on seperate consoles trying to get the lap records. The first TOCA game was a legendary vs game too, although the hilarious rubber-banding in multiplayer meant whoever was behind on the last corner would invariably win as they didn't need to use the brakes to get round it. Apart from that, we pretty much just played Soul Blade over and over and over again and my mates still never got good enough to beat me...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
leaf
Leaf, not Leech

Member 11406

Level 6.55

Aug 2006

Old Jun 18, 2009, 01:06 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2009, 08:06 PM #31 of 40
Ouch. The Gran Turismo too. The parts which we were playing the most were 1 & 4. I assume you had the PAL version. Then you should remember that unbelievable Corvette 427 '67 (damn I love old American muscle cars). Poor guy tried to beat me with NSX The Vette was tough to control, but only the Viper could beat it (from the Arcade Mode stock car selection). While in GT4 I remember lots of fabulous races with his favourite BMW M5. Guess what car did I use... *hint* The mighty green killer, hehe *hint*

BTW, the thread changed into random rambling topic, but it brings back some great memories. We used to have much more time for playing, didn't we?

FELIPE NO
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2009, 01:24 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2009, 07:24 PM #32 of 40
I can honestly say, having owned all the Gran Turismo games up to the end of the PS2 run, I have never once played a single game in Arcade mode using the arcade mode cars. As such, the only American car I'd ever have picked would be the Viper for the unmodified car cup and even then that was to make it a challenge as winning in a TVR Cerberus was too easy.

I've never seen the appeal of US muscle cars either in real life or computer games to be honest. In real life, I'd rather have something that'll take a corner and in computer games they tend to come slathered in Stars and Stripes regalia and not have turbos so you don't get the dump valve noise when you change gear. Gran Turismo 1 was all about the GTO's and Skylines, GT2 was the FTO LM and LM TVRs, GT3 I prefered driving the Zonda or Gillet, something like that, Concept had the Bugatti Vayron of course and GT4 again had a load of variety but still, I'd er in favour of the European super-cars. Was it GT2 that first introduced the muscle car races? I remember winning them all by several laps using an early model Mitsubishi Lancer thanks to some rather sketchy qualification criteria...

Most amazing jew boots
leaf
Leaf, not Leech

Member 11406

Level 6.55

Aug 2006

Old Jun 18, 2009, 03:42 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2009, 10:42 PM #33 of 40
We all know that old muscle cars have crappy handling. If you still have GT1 PAL, just start Arcade and look at the Chevrolet garage. This '67 Vette is only in NTSC-US and PAL. What a pitty it isn't available in the Simulation mode.

GT2 indeed introduced muscle cars in the series (if you don't coun't that Vette). There is a competitive vehicle among oldies: Ford GT40. I love the engine noise and its top speed at 350km/h.

You should really try my fav car in GT4. It's called Buick Special '62. The green killer...

pic

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Araes
Plush

Member 11574

Level 19.87

Aug 2006

Old Jun 18, 2009, 07:13 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2009, 07:13 PM #34 of 40
I've never seen the appeal of US muscle cars either in real life or computer games to be honest. In real life, I'd rather have something that'll take a corner and in computer games they tend to come slathered in Stars and Stripes regalia and not have turbos so you don't get the dump valve noise when you change gear.
Its like you're channeling Clarkson, Hammond, and May. However, generally agree, as many are far too overpowered for their handling ability and are a good way to end up in a ditch. It doesn't help that people have a habit of going for shit tires in favor of 10 more HP. I think the only reason that the 900+ HP GTO was a such a killer in GT1 was because it wasn't possible to flip, or significantly diverge from the track. It had so much power you literally just flew around maps like Deep Forest doing 300 MPH constantly and didn't even notice grass.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2009, 03:37 AM Local time: Jun 19, 2009, 09:37 AM #35 of 40
I think the only reason that the 900+ HP GTO was a such a killer in GT1 was because it wasn't possible to flip, or significantly diverge from the track. It had so much power you literally just flew around maps like Deep Forest doing 300 MPH constantly and didn't even notice grass.
Oh yeah, you could grind every wall on the High Speed Ring and get round in about 46 seconds, turning in for the corners about halfway down the straights and doing ludicrous drifts into the barriers that would have killed both you and half the spectators had there been a semblance of realistic physics in the game. GT2 was a far better game in terms of actually making you race, especially with the increased limitations on what you could enter into each race, although the LM TVRs were so much faster than anything else it was silly, you'd struggle to lose a race in one.

Muscle cars have never been part of motoring culture in this country. British sports cars are (pretty much) always light and nimble rather than hugely powerful and I'd far rather have a Caterham or a Noble than a Corvette or Mustang (Although I would have a Viper, they're fucking sexy). On top of that, the modding scene is all about getting a shitty hatchback and putting a big enough turbo in for it to out-drag an Aston Martin, people just don't like big cars over here as a rule. Top Gear is so popular because they really do tap in to the general psyche about cars here.

I've probably got that car in GT4, leaf, I played it so much I've got most of them! In the GT games, once you load up with racing suspension and brakes and shit every car handles exactly the same but I do still tend to avoid the muscle cars as I basically think they're ugly and I quite like watching the replays. Give me a chavved up Saxo with an over-sized spoiler every day of the week, the reason I love NFS Underground so much is how filthy you can make the cars look!

Did anyone else ever play the first TOCA game from Codemasters? That was a hell of a game and really difficult. That's when they first started making other drivers dislike you if you rammed them off and being a touring car game, that tended to happen quite a lot. Most of the cars were really evenly matched with only the Mondeos beign laughably bad so you had to know the tracks fucking well to have a chance of winning. The best tactic in two player if you had a bit of a lead on the last lap was to deliberately knock over a few of the distance boards before a tight corner so your opponent had no idea when to brake, knowing that the damage they'd suffer from the barrier would probably make their car veer off to the side and guarantee you a win. I did eventually manage to win the championship in career mode but it took an awful lot of practice. To this day I can still recognice BTC tracks in real life within seconds when it's on tv having memorised them all so well in TOCA.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2009, 06:08 AM Local time: Jun 19, 2009, 12:08 PM #36 of 40
Did anyone else ever play the first TOCA game from Codemasters?
If by 'play' you mean attempt but with very limited success, then yeah. That game got hard real quick. Only racing game I can think of that was more difficult at the time? V-Rally. I honestly never figured out how to complete a race. I just couldn't keep from spinning out.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2009, 08:32 AM Local time: Jun 19, 2009, 02:32 PM #37 of 40
V-Rally was savage. A friend of mine was insanely good at it but I had no skills at all. The same friend used to regularly piss all over the first Colin McRae game too though so I guess he's just good at rally games whereas I'm more of a track racer. The trick to TOCA was never turn and brake at the same time, always brake, then turn in then hit the gas once you're past the apex, essentially how real touring car driving goes. Also set the steering sensitivity waaaay down if you were using the analogue sticks as on default, full lock was about a 5 degreee angle on the stick. I'm sure the cars also used to be easier to handle if you knocked off the front bumper too, provided you didn't damage the steering in the process. It all boiled down to just learning the braking points for every corner in the game though. Being able to nail near-perfet laps on an empty track let you qualify in pole and as such, not have to worry too much about overtaking which tended to be where races were lost. I think it was the hours of doing that that made me such a fan of Gran Turismo as with the terrible AI it has, the game is basically a time trial game only with other cars on the track. In fact, GT3Concept was probably my favourite of the GT games and there aren't any other cars in that, it really is just time trials (Plus you can drive the Vayron).

I was speaking idiomatically.
leaf
Leaf, not Leech

Member 11406

Level 6.55

Aug 2006

Old Jun 20, 2009, 11:50 AM Local time: Jun 20, 2009, 06:50 PM #38 of 40
I played TOCA 2 and V-Rally (PSX & N64). TOCA 2 is easier than original and to be honest I didn't find it that hard. You are right Shin, never brake & turn at the same time. TOCA 2 has one awful, dark and rainy track called Knockhill. But there was one funny raceway called Loch Ranoch where you could push down the AI from the hills - pretty funny. Even though I don't like the idea to go rally with the AI, I loved V-Rally. It had quite interesting locations in that time and it was fast. The bad thing that car could just go crazy if you had contact with a small bush. So all in all GT4 is my fav racer. But the second place goes to Test Drive 5 with its open roads (almost 5 minutes of non-stop driving). And it had muscle cars

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jun 20, 2009, 01:58 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2009, 11:58 AM #39 of 40
I think muscle cars are popular over here because we have roads that go in straight lines.

Driving on the highways that go across the country was a pretty huge snore in my little Focus. Driving down Route 1 was a hell of a lot of fun, though.

Most amazing jew boots
serenade
Wark!

Member 34177

Level 1.21

Aug 2009

Old Aug 5, 2009, 06:13 AM #40 of 40
Nintendo & Sega defined most of my childhood. I actually bought Sega Genesis just for Mortal Kombat II. I remember spending nights on Mario, Sonic, Ghouls & Ghosts, Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion....Watching those games on youtube brings back such fond memories.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Classic] Nintendo vs. Seaga: Anyone else miss those days?