Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Classic] Mysterious images - Help me, I can not use Google

leaf
Leaf, not Leech

Member 11406

Level 6.55

Aug 2006

Old May 5, 2009, 10:07 AM Local time: May 5, 2009, 05:07 PM #1 of 9
Mysterious images - Help me, I can not use Google

I know that making and burning images for the PSX was easy (with Alcohol 120% for example). But what with 3DO and Sega Saturn?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2009, 10:13 AM Local time: May 5, 2009, 04:13 PM #2 of 9
Well an ISO is literally an image of the cd, it'll create the image no matter what format the original disk was.

Whether or not you can find anything to run the image on of course is a different matter. A quick google search shows there are a few 3DO emulators around but I don't know anyone who ever used one.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2009, 10:45 AM Local time: May 5, 2009, 04:45 PM #3 of 9
To run copied Saturn games on the original hardware you need either a modchip, or a swap trick like people used to sometimes use with the PS1. Either way it's not easy. God I wish it was.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
leaf
Leaf, not Leech

Member 11406

Level 6.55

Aug 2006

Old May 5, 2009, 10:54 AM Local time: May 5, 2009, 05:54 PM #4 of 9
You again

Anyway I know ISO is an universal type of image, but why I used img/sub/ccd combo on PS1 backups? Everybody has been advicing me to use that type of image back then.

And don't worry I have 3DO & modded Saturn (just to run Doom NTSC-Jap which is much smoother). 3DO can literally run everything without the modchip...

So are you saying that normal ISO will do good for Gamecube backups too?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2009, 11:09 AM Local time: May 5, 2009, 05:09 PM #5 of 9
Ya know what, I figure after having gathered all this data inside this skull of mine, it would be a shame to not spread it around some.

Anyway I know ISO is an universal type of image, but why I used img/sub/ccd combo on PS1 backups? Everybody has been advising me to use that type of image back then.
Everyone is being careful, probably too careful. Some CDs contain a special kind of extra data called subchannels. It's used for like, a tiny number of games on PS1 as extra copy protection, and they won't work if you don't replicate it correctly. CCD/Img/Sub is actually the best for CDs, but nine times out of ten, Bin & Cue or plain ISO images will work just as well.

I don't honestly know which consoles use subchannel data, but if you stick to CloneCD format you'll be ready for 'em if they do. There's nothing comparable (that I know of) for DVD media, so just use whatever for those. I use DVD Decrypter, or IMGBurn.

Quote:
And don't worry I have 3DO & modded Saturn (just to run Doom NTSC-Jap which is much smoother). 3DO can literally run everything without the modchip...
I wish my soldering skills were good enough to mod my Saturn. It's pretty much the only console in my collection I don't have some kind of solution for. I can run import games, using my Action Replay cart, which I guess is enough...

The whole reason I stick to softmods, or "plug-and-play" mods is because I can't solder to save my life. I know nothing, nothing whatsoever... about the 3D0. Never owned one, never touched one.

Quote:
So are you saying that normal ISO will do good for Gamecube backups too?
Gamecube games are like XBOX games in that only the GameCube drive (or XBOX drive respectively) will read the disc. In both cases they are a standard DVD, but with some technological trickery to obfuscate the data from would-be pirates. I think it's the same on the Dreamcast as well... although that's some kind of bizarre extended CD format, rather than a DVD. It also can't be read on a PC though... as far as I know.

You have to use a homebrew application (in both cases) to dump the game using the console itself. Use a GameCube memory card to SD card adapter to store the resultant image. As for playing them, that's as simple as either using mini DVD-Rs, or replacing your case to allow for full sized DVD-R media. You can use a plug-and-play solution to boot backup copies.

Further details on request.

How ya doing, buddy?
leaf
Leaf, not Leech

Member 11406

Level 6.55

Aug 2006

Old May 26, 2009, 05:21 AM Local time: May 26, 2009, 12:21 PM #6 of 9
Does the disc reading matter while making image? Because for burning it was important IMO. I waste a hell of time while reading everything on 1x...

I use Alcohol 120% for all burning/reading etc. For Playstation consoles it is easy because they have preconfigured profiles. Would it be smart to make 3DO & Saturn images on PSO profile? Or maybe to use so called Normal CD...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2009, 09:00 AM Local time: May 27, 2009, 03:00 PM #7 of 9
Does the disc reading matter while making image? Because for burning it was important IMO. I waste a hell of time while reading everything on 1x...
The read speed shouldn't matter at all, and even write speed is not as important as some people make it out to be. I burn PS1 images at 8 speed and they work fine. Anything higher and I get cutscene glitches.

Quote:
I use Alcohol 120% for all burning/reading etc. For Playstation consoles it is easy because they have preconfigured profiles. Would it be smart to make 3DO & Saturn images on PSO profile? Or maybe to use so called Normal CD...
As far as I know they will work with the PS1 profile. There's nothing particularly special about the discs for either the Saturn or the 3D0. It's always best to have subchannel data. If you get one of those downloaded releases where the audio tracks are in MP3 format, then there needs to be a CUE sheet. Sometimes you need to convert them to WAV to burn the disc.

FELIPE NO
leaf
Leaf, not Leech

Member 11406

Level 6.55

Aug 2006

Old May 27, 2009, 09:48 AM Local time: May 27, 2009, 04:48 PM #8 of 9
You see, you have the glitches. Does it mean that CD recorders do "a bad job while in a hurry"?

You know I thought about using PS1 profile, but I just wasn't sure about those DAO, SAO and RAW stuff. It just doesn't ring any bell for me...

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2009, 12:23 PM Local time: May 27, 2009, 06:23 PM #9 of 9
You see, you have the glitches. Does it mean that CD recorders do "a bad job while in a hurry"?
I think it's more that PS1 can't read discs made with technology from the future. XD

I don't think it's bad as such, because a 52X speed drive can read it just fine. A drive that's really old, like the PS1 drive... might not understand the data as well as if it was recorded at 1x or 4x speed. I tend to get no glitches at 8X speed.

Even when I get glitches it's just like the sound skipping. Sometimes I don't care, if it's a game with very few cutscenes. Like in some games, the only thing that skips is the manufacturer's logo animation at the start of the game.

Quote:
You know I thought about using PS1 profile, but I just wasn't sure about those DAO, SAO and RAW stuff. It just doesn't ring any bell for me...
I think DAO is 'Disk At Once' meaning it burns the whole disc without writing each track separately. That's fine if all you have is one data track, but with audio tracks I don't know. SAO is 'Session At Once' meaning that all the tracks are written as once 'session'. Good because multisession is worthless technology. RAW just means that it will include the subchannel data if any exists.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Classic] Mysterious images - Help me, I can not use Google