Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

eHarmony.

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:49 AM #1 of 317
eHarmony.

Anyone else so pathetically desperate to meet people that they used this (or some other online matchmaking service)? I decided last month to do their 3-month subscription ($110; guaranteed 3 matches or they add on another 3 months and keep doing it until you get 3 matches) and I finally got my first match today. Unfortunately, she lives in Redwood City, CA. Uhhhh...I'm desperate to meet teh ladies, but not so much about moving/flying to the other corner of the country to do so. That will probably end up being a wasted match. I guess I should've left the settings at "search in my metropolitan area (60 miles)".

Most amazing jew boots

PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:50 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 10:50 PM #2 of 317
I did it once out of sheer boredom, I was rejected immediately. I've done it twice more over the years to see if the same thing would happen. It did.

Oh well, it's like not I'd find someone anyway. I mean, it is me, after all.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:52 AM #3 of 317
I guess it's a step in the right direction that I was at least accepted. Too bad I don't think I'll get many matches with the criteria I've laid out and based on my personality (hey, self-confidence...what?).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

valiant
FRIEND

Member 836

Level 18.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:52 AM #4 of 317
Originally Posted by The Dopefish
Anyone else so pathetically desperate to meet people that they used this (or some other online matchmaking service)? I decided last month to do their 3-month subscription ($110; guaranteed 3 matches or they add on another 3 months and keep doing it until you get 3 matches) and I finally got my first match today. Unfortunately, she lives in Redwood City, CA. Uhhhh...I'm desperate to meet teh ladies, but not so much about moving/flying to the other corner of the country to do so. That will probably end up being a wasted match. I guess I should've left the settings at "search in my metropolitan area (60 miles)".
Hahah I live close to redwood city...what a coincidence.

Wierd how they set you up with someone far away in california

How ya doing, buddy?
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:53 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 12:53 AM #5 of 317
I briefly joined up, made my profile, but never signed up for the service. It remains appealing, but I don't know how much I want to spend for a service that is potentially a waste of time.

Heh, story of my romantic life, right there. Maybe I should...take a risk, so to speak.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:57 AM #6 of 317
Originally Posted by valiant
Wierd how they set you up with someone far away in california
You can choose certain distances for them to search for matches across, and the feeling at the time was I'd just be limiting myself even more than I would already if I didn't search the entire country. At least I'm not searching the globe, but if the point is to find someone you would be most right for love then you'd best understand the circumstances that it would take for you to end up meeting and/or being with this person. As such, I'm not exactly in the best of economic situations and I am trying to go to school so to move out to California and just try to settle into whatever sort of life I would have is a little more ballsy than anyone would tell me to be.

More to the point: I've been subscribed since February 5 and I've only just found one match. eHarmony doesn't hold back on matches (they promise to find you at least 3 matches on the 3-month subscription, so if they find more they should be giving them to you) so it's pretty obvious I can't be much pickier about my preferences which you don't really have much control over. You can choose the distance, religion, age range, how many children they have, ethnicity, between smokers and drinkers or not, and aptitude for children. Everything else is up to your "Personality Profile".

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Dopefish; Mar 11, 2006 at 01:04 AM.
valiant
FRIEND

Member 836

Level 18.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:59 AM #7 of 317
yeah california is a great state. Should consider moving over here.

FELIPE NO
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 01:05 AM #8 of 317
My cousin moved over there recently, and he seems to enjoy it. I don't think he's made any lady friends yet, though, which is a bummer.

Double Post:
P.S.: her name is Sugar. And she's white/non-Hispanic. That better be a pet name. :eyebrow:

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Dopefish; Mar 11, 2006 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Automerged double post.
Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 01:09 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 12:09 AM #9 of 317
I tried it with horrible luck. Luckily for me I closed my account in time to get my money back. To those who have success with it, bravo. But it's not for me.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 01:10 AM #10 of 317
Worked for me.

By the way, what is so pathetic about finding people on the internet that you immediately meet in real life? Is there a cool way to meet strangers now or what?

How ya doing, buddy?
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 01:18 AM #11 of 317
Here's the Dopefish Theory of Meeting Internet Buddies: the distance needed to travel is directly proportional to the number of eyebrows you'll raise when telling people you're meeting someone you met online. Feel free to disprove it, because I know many people on GFF have met each other.

Care to elaborate on what you went through, Minion?

How ya doing, buddy?

Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 01:24 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 01:24 AM #12 of 317
Hey, meeting online isn't a horrid horrid thing. Many folks (ie: Collegiates of scientific persuasions) lack free time or females around their fields of study to mingle with. What do you expect them to do if they can't visit bars every Thursday night or head out on weekends because they have several projects/tests the next week/day? Do you expect them to meet their betrothed in a lab room or something?

I'm rather close to trying it myself. I don't see the shame in it, to be honest. Plus, you know that they are out for dating as well.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 01:24 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 02:24 AM #13 of 317
Online matching services do not appeal that much to me at all. Although I am not too adverse to meeting people online for the heck of it. In fact, there are a couple interesting chicks I have met through various web-related methods and social networks. Unfortunately, the most promising ones are in Washington state and Arizona.
I would prefer to leave these things in God's hands, however, rather than attempt to utilize what men would consider to be "ideal" matches.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Fjordor; Mar 11, 2006 at 01:26 AM.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 01:26 AM #14 of 317
God created man; man created computers; therefore, vicariously, God created computers.

Your problem is what now?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 01:29 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 01:29 AM #15 of 317
He's referring to the old-fashioned way of meeting and clicking with someone. Doing this online cheapens it a bit by running through things like a shopping-list.

Most amazing jew boots
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 01:32 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 02:32 AM #16 of 317
Yeah, Gechmir understands.

But I like your logic Dopefish. X-D

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 01:34 AM #17 of 317
BTW I'm atheist. pwnt.

Most amazing jew boots

Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 01:51 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 02:51 AM #18 of 317
I know.
It was still humorous.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 01:55 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 01:55 AM #19 of 317
I signed up for an sccount but never really finished it. But every week I get an email from the site telling who my matches are for the area I live in.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 02:15 AM #20 of 317
I'm serious about her name being Sugar, BTW. If that's her legal first name I don't know if I'd want to be in a relationship with her...I can just imagine it:

Me to a friend at a party, or something: Hey, I want you to meet my girlfriend! She's standing over there...Sugar?
*Sugar comes over*
Me: This is my friend, blahdy-blah.
*Sugar and Blahdy-blah shake hands. Moment of silence.*
Blahdy-blah: So, are you going to tell me her name?
Me: Oh, it's Sugar.
*Blahdy-blah stifles a laugh, I look down at the floor in shame and Sugar plans to kill herself in her sleep*

At least I know what a metasyntactic variable is.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 04:11 AM #21 of 317
I went to this site and I recall there being no option for fags. I was actually pretty pissed when I saw it.

Anyway, I don't like the idea of finding my love on the interweb. I hope it goes down a lot more happenstance than that :|

Most amazing jew boots
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 04:34 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 02:34 AM #22 of 317
I really have never found the appeal of the online dating service. eHarmony, in particular, is guilty of pandering its services with what they call a "Compatability Matching System". I may not be the wisest man on the planet, but I'm still under the belief that this things called "chemistry" between people is not something I want to chalk up to a matching system.

Matching systems were made for printing presses, not relationships. :\

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 04:37 AM #23 of 317
I sort of feel the same way.

I also don't like the idea of all the disorder and trial being removed from real life dating. This automated and mathematical pairing seems rather unnatural.

How ya doing, buddy?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 05:08 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 03:08 AM #24 of 317
Originally Posted by Eleo
This automated and mathematical pairing seems rather unnatural.
It's not just that either. That whole matching system gives me a very uneasy feeling about it. It seems that we are now beginning the process of de-humanizing the very thing that makes us human: Love and compassion.

I don't know... eHarmony pontificates left and right things like, "meet people who will love you and cherish you" only to be followed by "taking our 28-point compatability quiz to find your match". I'm sorry... Something doesn't click in this equation.

The internet is my place for entertainment. It's where I do my work. It's where I buy useless electronic gadgets that will be obsolete in 3 months. It's where I hunt for secret celebrity sex videos. It is NOT the same place I want to associate a pivotal point in life like "meeting my soulmate".

Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 05:35 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 04:35 AM #25 of 317
That eharmony guy wishes he was Don Knotts (aside from being deceased). I'm half tempted to do it, but at the same time, I'd rather not pay $110 bucks for them to set me up with somebody who I probably won't like anyways.

Dopefish, has your match contacted you? Can you reset your profile or criteria or whatever to search closer to home? Let us know how the whole thing pans out since Minion isn't sharing.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > eHarmony.