Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Podcasts

vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 06:11 PM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 06:11 PM #1 of 22
Podcasts

When podcasts first came out I thought they wouldn't be such a big deal but now I'm seeing quite a few websites and shows advertising for their's.

Does anyone actually receive these or make any good use of them?

I can't really see them much better then sitting down and going to a website or reading a newspaper.

I think there's even podcasts about cooking...

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by vuigun; Mar 22, 2006 at 06:21 PM.
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 06:19 PM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 05:19 PM #2 of 22
The only podcast I use is MLB Radio Daily. So many podcasts just seem poorly put together to me. And really, what's the point? It's like a radio station that only comes on twice a week and doesn't take requests. I don't get it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 06:24 PM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 06:24 PM #3 of 22
The thing I don't really get is why so many companies are so pressured to get one. I know pretty much everyone Video Game Show on G4 has one, and numerous Video Game websites are trying to do this as well. I guess many people expect Podcasts to be a "hit" thing and that they have to jump on the bandwagon or miss out on a great money opportunity.

I wonder how the Podcasts are really doing though.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
CelticWhisper
We've met before, haven't we?

Member 805

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 06:25 PM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 05:25 PM #4 of 22
First off, I'm not getting involved in the debate surrounding the name "Podcasting," so people can have that one out without me.

As for the shows I listen to, most commonly it's IT Conversations. If I'm in a non-techy mood, though, Deos Shadow is an amusing podcast for Neopagans, and the host has a good sense of humour and can do the show without being a "Wiccavangelist" like too many others do.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 06:58 PM #5 of 22
I subscribe to:

The Onion Radio News
Ron D. Moore's Battlestar Galactica commentary

That's about it. I keep seeing homestarrunner.com has a SB Email podcast out, but I'm weary over whether Strong Bad can be funny in a purely audio format.

Double Post:
Oh hey, seems the SB podcasts are video ones. I shoulda figured...

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Matt; Mar 22, 2006 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Automerged double post.
Lee-chan
~キラキラ・マジック~

Member 1899

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 08:19 PM #6 of 22
I was actually considering posting this thread earlier today. Go figure.

Anyhow, the only one I've kept up with has been the "Alpha Rant," which involves two guys (they do a webcomic) ranting (and sometimes raving) about other webcomics, games, and a idiots that post on their forums. They're silly and cheesy, but I still love them.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 08:26 PM #7 of 22
I listen to:

This Week in Tech (TWIT)
The Ricky Gervais Show

and sometimes...

Ebert & Roeper
Gamespot's podcast
Diggnation
dl.tv

Podcasts are great, they're like talk radio, but interesting. Plus, you can listen to it anytime.

FELIPE NO
Spyer
Yeeeaaaa.

Member 548

Level 18.00

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 09:32 PM #8 of 22
Right now, I usually just listen to the TSN podcasts, but I'm also subscribed to Scientific American.

Im surprised as well as to the amount of podcasts coming out. It seems just about everything is on podcasts!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
El Ray Fernando
Scholeski

Member 70

Level 26.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 05:30 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 11:30 PM #9 of 22
Originally Posted by JazzFlight
The Ricky Gervais Show
Now that he's seen how many people listen to his podcast he's started charging for it now, that bitch.

Bah, looks like I'll go watch his 'Animals' DVD again. (Funniest shit ever)

Last edited by El Ray Fernando; Mar 24, 2006 at 05:32 PM.
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 06:00 PM #10 of 22
Originally Posted by El Ray Fernando
Now that he's seen how many people listen to his podcast he's started charging for it now, that bitch.

Bah, looks like I'll go watch his 'Animals' DVD again. (Funniest shit ever)
I just download his podcast from mininova. Screw paying for it.

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 11:35 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 09:35 PM #11 of 22
Podcasts are great, they're like talk radio, but interesting. Plus, you can listen to it anytime.
Thank you! All this buzz about Podcast this and Podcast that, and its always like they seem to intentionally keep it vauge about what exactly it is. I don't know though... the way people go on about these seem oblique and evasive to understanding the whole thing, at least to me.

Hey, but if you can recommend some good ones, I'll give them a shot.

Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 02:14 AM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 11:14 PM #12 of 22
I am just figuring out how to use everything that has to do with Podcasts and whatnot. I find them very interesting with what I can listen to now, compared to my only local radio before which is just terrible.

I don't have any "favorite" things to listen to, I still have some browsing to do for a bit until I can find some intereting podcasts which would seem interesting to me.

One that I am listening to currently is "Talking Metal" which has interviews with metal bands (obviously) and they have quite a few interesting bands to hear from. Right now, their latest episode involves Lacuna Coil, which is just quite interesting to me, so it gives me a half hour of entertainment.

Most amazing jew boots
Dojomaster
Keepin da Funk alive

Member 2055

Level 4.59

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 08:52 AM #13 of 22
I'm digging the Defected records podcasts lately. They have a bunch of new tracks that are coming out on the label, plus a mini-mix to wrap things up. There are even some exclusives on that podcast that aren't in stores yet, teasing you...

The idea behind these is pretty neat, but I'm just happy to have some free legal music every month

How ya doing, buddy?
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 08:59 AM #14 of 22
I'm actually a co-host on a (ugh) Podcast. We haven't recorded one in a while, so we may have stopped unoffically.

SuperNova
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 830

Level 19.47

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 09:25 AM #15 of 22
Podcasts are great, they get me through workdays usually. Only so much music you can listen to over and over again. (I must have gone through my iPod's catalog hundreds of times by now.) I listen to...

This Week in Tech
Diggnation
MySportsRadio.com Without a Curse (Red Sox Podcast)
MySportsRadio.com All-In (Poker Podcast)
MySportsRadio.com The Just Talking Sh-- Show (Popo/Sports Culture Podcast)
MySportsRadio.com No Holds Barred (Wrestling Podcast)
Infected by Martin Sargent

By the way, if you're a sports fan, MySportsRadio's podcasts really do rule. All they need now is a Hockey Podcast, which apparently they've been looking for a NHL Podcaster for a year now.

I listen to:

This Week in Tech (TWIT)
The Ricky Gervais Show

and sometimes...

Ebert & Roeper
Gamespot's podcast
Diggnation
dl.tv

Isn't the Ricky Gervais one the one you have to pay for?

FELIPE NO

I have nothing clever to put here.
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 11:46 AM #16 of 22
Originally Posted by SuperNova
Isn't the Ricky Gervais one the one you have to pay for?
Read the thread.

Someone asked that, and I said I download it off of mininova.com. You can also try Torrentspy.com and isohunt.com.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by JazzFlight; Apr 24, 2006 at 11:51 AM.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 01:44 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2006, 12:44 PM #17 of 22
About the only podcast I listen to is TVGuide.com's podcast, as it has good discussion about the week's popular TV shows, along with exclusive scoops that you can usually only here there first.

Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 02:31 PM #18 of 22
I might be willing to give podcasts a shot if there was one on mixed martial arts. Is there any place I can find a list of different podcasts?

A4: IN THE DUNGEONS OF THE SLAVE LORDS
6C. Kobold's Kitchen

Member 773

Level 21.70

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 02:49 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2006, 02:49 PM #19 of 22
Because i'm an enormous nerd I liaten to the Babylon 5 Podcast. They've mainly dredged up people who built sets and such as guests so far though none of the bigger people.

Lady, I was gonna cut you some slack, cause you're a major mythological figure but now you've just gone nuts!
Taterdemalion
Chocobo

Member 1827

Level 12.61

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 06:38 PM #20 of 22
I listen to 1up.com's podcast and the Kojima Productions Report podcast. I really like 1up's podcasts. They're quite lengthy but the guys provide nice insight into imortant gaming topics. They're funny, also.

How ya doing, buddy?
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 06:55 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2006, 06:55 PM #21 of 22
Hate to sound like an idget, but what *is* a Podcast? A recording of some radio-type show you lob onto your iPod?

I could Google this. But I am far too lazy =d And responses here are so much better~

I was speaking idiomatically.
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 07:25 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2006, 05:25 PM #22 of 22
I love Penny Arcade's podcast "Downloadable Content." Basically they record themselves during the comic writing process. They're both pretty funny characters. The best one so far is definitely the one they did when they wrote the "Doctor Feelgood" strip.

And yes, Gechmir, that's the general idea. A podcast is basically just an audio file distributed via an RSS feed that updates when there's a new episode, which you can subscribe to and download automatically. Oftentimes they're like talk-radio on one topic or another, but there are some indie labels and stuff that do music-focused podcasts. iTunes has integrated a podcast subscription engine in iTunes 6, and lots of podcasts submit their RSS feeds to the iTMS so they're easy to search and fine. There are other aggregators to search for and subscribe to podcasts though.

killmoms - Well, don't really.
Makin' trailers er'ry day.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Podcasts