Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

A thought about growing older

deadally
Chocobo

Member 506

Level 14.33

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 01:57 PM #1 of 25
A thought about growing older

I was just wondering about patronization. Since I've gotten to college, I've gone on several trips with various 21-25 year olds. Being 18-19 for these past two years, I've been subject to some rather demeaning patronization, which I could truly care less about, honestly.

My ponderance is, when does that stop? I mean, my mother who is 40 looks at those 25-year olds as children who see me as a "young-un"

Does this ever stop? Does a 70 year old complain to a 90 year old to have the 90 year old say "Don't worry, you'll understand when you're older" or what?

It's just confusing and almost promising that it never stops, that you'll never truly reach the pinnacle of age above others until you're dead or too old to care (which is really ironic to a young person like me).

What do you think?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Returned
nanashiusako
Good Chocobo

Member 4749

Level 17.91

Apr 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:15 PM #2 of 25
My husband's grandmother who is 86, said that my father, who is 50, is still a "young 'un". I don't think it ever really stops. People who are older will always think they are wiser. =)

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Jan
Lemon Laudanum

Member 64

Level 28.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 02:41 AM #3 of 25
More importantly who cares? I think your giving something like this a little too much thought then its warranted. Just go with the flow. = V

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
[/RIGHT]
NYRSkate
Happy Hour in Hell's Sports Bar

Member 4

Level 18.19

Feb 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 03:13 AM #4 of 25
There comes a point in time where a person's age doesn't matter to you. You're not there yet. I am. Give it time and you will be, and this won't matter at all.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
<Mercarios> I voted for hut hut, because it's a superior track, but you gotta draw a line between having fun and going too far
nadienne
I don't do too much talking these days.

Member 9

Level 29.15

Feb 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 03:44 AM Local time: Apr 30, 2006, 01:44 AM #5 of 25
I patronize people older than me. What does this mean.

How ya doing, buddy?
NYRSkate

Member 4

Level 18.19

Feb 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 03:54 AM #6 of 25
Something about forgetting how to use a question mark, I think.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
<Mercarios> I voted for hut hut, because it's a superior track, but you gotta draw a line between having fun and going too far
Dullenplain
Life @ 45RPM

Member 2299

Level 38.16

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 03:54 AM Local time: Apr 30, 2006, 02:54 AM #7 of 25
Originally Posted by nadienne
I patronize people older than me. What does this mean.
You're being cocky.

Somehow, for me, the early 20s and late 20s seem to occupy two different sides of a huge gulf, and I often see those in their late 20s patronizing people my age.

Although I guess I am guilty of holding a patronizing attitude towards teenagers.

I think the attitude will die off by the time you go into your 40s.

How ya doing, buddy?

Classic J-Pop Volume 31
Add your location here at the ------> GFF Members Geographic Database
NYRSkate

Member 4

Level 18.19

Feb 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 03:57 AM #8 of 25
I need to subscribe to this thread, since having people 21 and younger talk about getting older is about the most entertaining thing going on here this weekend.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Dullenplain
Life @ 45RPM

Member 2299

Level 38.16

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 04:12 AM Local time: Apr 30, 2006, 03:12 AM #9 of 25
Originally Posted by NYRSkate
I need to subscribe to this thread, since having people 21 and younger talk about getting older is about the most entertaining thing going on here this weekend.
You should get acquainted with the term "quarter-life crisis". It's quite an illuminating, if not an uneccessary distinction.

Most amazing jew boots
NYRSkate

Member 4

Level 18.19

Feb 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 04:15 AM #10 of 25
I'm past that point, you know. I just like watching the young'uns squirm when faced with the same quagmire.

Dullenplain
Life @ 45RPM

Member 2299

Level 38.16

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 04:27 AM Local time: Apr 30, 2006, 03:27 AM #11 of 25
Here's a little something to give you jollies.

I'll admit that I am somewhat terrified at the prospect of life after graduation because I have the feeling that somehow I'm not doing enough to prepare for it. Grad school applications, resumes, actually putting some "purpose" to your life . . . I must be living under a rock to not notice these forthcoming events because I'm far too preoccupied being an irresponsible undergrad to notice them, and now I'm starting to get my act together. Hopefully it isn't too late.

NYRSkate

Member 4

Level 18.19

Feb 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 04:32 AM #12 of 25
It's never too late. The only way to gain life experience is to experience life. I'm no better or worse off than you, just older. I can be relaxed about a lot of things you're not since I've been in the game for years.

How ya doing, buddy?
SuperNova
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 830

Level 19.47

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 08:06 AM #13 of 25
Don't let Skate fool you. I'm 25, I STILL get patronized. I'm just at the age when I tell people, and seriously, to sod off. Everyone that is except my grandmother. I catch myself a lot patronizing people younger than me too. It guess it's just something part of human nature.

As far as those college trips, that's just good old senior/freshman harassment. That passes in time.

I was speaking idiomatically.

I have nothing clever to put here.
Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 08:48 AM Local time: Apr 30, 2006, 03:48 PM #14 of 25
Humm I don't seem to have this problem.

deadally everyone is going to get a little shit now and again, just roll with the punches and return them the favor. It is more fun that way.

How ya doing, buddy?

"In a somewhat related statement. Hugging fat people is soft and comfy. <3" - Jan
"Jesus, Gumby. You just...came up with that off the top of your head?" - Alice
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 08:42 PM #15 of 25
I'm 17, so:
- I get asked for id when buying games and such, I look too young
- no one believes that I attend University
- early last year around when I recently turned 17, I got a kid's menu at chili's (WTH!? I was offended!)
- no one would think that I'm driving age already
- people think I'm too young to be working (probably why I can't find any jobs, despite all the experience on my resume *rolls eyes*), there are a handful of people at almost every job I've had that think I'm not old enough and tell me straight up or indirectly.
- etc.

Point being I'm not exactly 20s-wise at all, but I'm rather handicapped by appearance when people have to look at my age. I'm young to EVERYone; even my friends (I'm at least one or two years younger than all of them). I believe that I am obviously in the process of growing older but my environment thinks otherwise.

FELIPE NO
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 08:48 PM Local time: Apr 30, 2006, 07:48 PM #16 of 25
I'm completely the opposite of you Summonmaster, and it's great.

I just turned 17 and everyone assumes I'm in my mid 20's. People thought I was in university in grade nine. I think it's the facial hair more than any kind of maturity I possess, though.

Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 09:04 PM Local time: May 1, 2006, 03:04 AM #17 of 25
There may not come a t time when peopel stop patronising you, but there will come a time when you cease to let it bother you. That's assuming that my own experience is universal, of course.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 10:38 PM #18 of 25
Nope, it never ends because there's always someone younger and older than you. The cycle keeps repeating itself with them.

Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 10:43 PM #19 of 25
I'm 37 and I still feel patronized at times. Admittedly, it's usually by people who have no idea how old I am and once they find out, they magically start treating me with much more respect, but it still happens.

I try really hard not to do it to others, but sometimes it's SO HARD.

I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 10:47 PM #20 of 25
Originally Posted by Dullenplain
I'll admit that I am somewhat terrified at the prospect of life after graduation because I have the feeling that somehow I'm not doing enough to prepare for it. Grad school applications, resumes, actually putting some "purpose" to your life . . . I must be living under a rock to not notice these forthcoming events because I'm far too preoccupied being an irresponsible undergrad to notice them, and now I'm starting to get my act together. Hopefully it isn't too late.
You know, if you put some "purpose" to your life at 25 or under, you're probably making a huge mistake.

No "purpose" can be easily determined when you've hardly experienced anything. And I am not tryin gto be condescending - sorry if it comes across as that. I am 24, so I am right in there with you.

But the people who send you away to college and make you think that grad schools, resumes, et cetera arethe ones who are doing you an injustice in my opinion. They wrap you up in things that just DON'T MATTER so much as actually living. Understand their motivations, here.

Sure, you'll need to do these things. And sure, they're useful. But in reality, it's not about the school you go to, the resume you've got, or who you had as a professor in your grad school. It's about what you do with it all and how you use it.

And if you decide life isn't what you wanted it to be, you can always go back and change it up. College and all that bullshit IS NOT the end-all, be-all. Never let someone tell you that you need to find your "purpose" before you turn 40. Thats fucking retarded. Some people die without having ever found a purpose, and they loved their life.

Incidentally, I rarely get condescended to about my age. Even when I was a kid, people tried to teach me things so I would never have to be naive. Too bad I came out kind of naive in a way, huh?

The only time I ever get any shit is when I get overly-idealistic about the way things SHOULD be. "O, you're in your 20s. THATS NORMAL." I guess all twenty-somethings are liberal, pinko, communist hippies. Pffth.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
pisscart deluxe

Member 5656

Level 9.10

Apr 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 10:57 PM #21 of 25
The one thing I've been thinking about lately is: I'm terrified of losing all my ideals, even if they're stupid. They all seem to be going out the window at a breakneck pace the last couple years.

When I make peace with this I figure I'll be getting somewhere. Every once in a while I meet an older person with the same sort of ideals I hold now, just broadened and loosened enough to encompass reality, and that makes me feel better.

The best and worst parts of getting older is realizing that all sorts of things you spent years spazzing out about are now things you don't even waste any thought on.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 11:04 PM #22 of 25
Don't look at is as losing your ideals. Think of it as changing your ideals. With age comes wisdom. Surely your ideas and opinions about things won't become LESS intelligent and insightful as you gain wisdom and maturity. Have faith in yourself. Your ideals just might change, but that doesn't mean the changes won't be for the better.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 11:08 PM Local time: May 1, 2006, 01:08 PM #23 of 25
I patronize the girls I coach, although there only a few years younger than me. Of course I get patronized by alot of the parents.... Wait, you're the coach?

Originally Posted by Summonmaster
- early last year around when I recently turned 17, I got a kid's menu at chili's (WTH!? I was offended!)
I like kid's menus. Coloring is pimp.

FELIPE NO
FFXI - Asura - Brd :3
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2006, 10:46 AM #24 of 25
Colouring outside the lines is fun.

Well I patronize my friends as well. I like to say "hello little boy" or "how are you child?" just to see what kind of reaction I get, which is usually a spaz out and a very confused look or reply. So it all works out.

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2006, 11:56 AM #25 of 25
Originally Posted by Summonmaster
What is there to be upset about here. You get to enjoy a maze or two while you wait for your burger/steak/etc. You should be grateful. Some of us have to ask for a children's menu and crayons, which is more embarassing than merely being handed one.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > A thought about growing older