Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

The Best Things You've Learned From Your Parents

Thanatos
What?!

Member 1546

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Jun 13, 2008, 05:20 AM Local time: Jun 13, 2008, 06:20 PM #26 of 57
I learned how to talk. I guess that's important.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 13, 2008, 05:31 AM Local time: Jun 13, 2008, 04:31 AM #27 of 57
I learned how to talk. I guess that's important.
Clearly more important for some than others.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Sian
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 377

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Jun 13, 2008, 06:47 AM Local time: Jun 13, 2008, 11:47 AM #28 of 57
How to treat my potential future kids. My parents found a good balance between strict and relaxed, but when I don't step out of line we have a great type of relationship. It's casual, I can talk to them with ease about anything even though I don't confess all my thoughts and feelings with them. I have a lot of respect for my parents, we're not a lovey dovey family but we all love each other a great amount. It's all good.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
ziggythecat
I like Chocolate Milk

Member 8650

Level 10.49

Jun 2006

Old Jun 19, 2008, 11:15 PM Local time: Jun 19, 2008, 10:15 PM #29 of 57
Hard work doesn't always get you ahead but it at least pays the bills

and while watching University of Alabama football games, never leave before the end of the game.

Most amazing jew boots
I like your booty but I'm not gay.
Torte
Vampire Killer

Member 4126

Level 15.25

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2008, 03:08 AM Local time: Jun 22, 2008, 08:08 PM #30 of 57
Work hard when you are young, reap the rewards once you are done.

Suffice to say, I'm reaping the rewards now: I recently bought my first car and a snowboard =)

Still looking at a PS3, but meh.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2008, 03:23 AM #31 of 57
A snowboard, huh?

I guess they educated you pretty well!

FELIPE NO
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2008, 12:51 PM Local time: Jun 22, 2008, 11:51 AM #32 of 57
I really admire my parents, especially my mom, for being the way she is despite coming from the parents she had. Not because her parents are bad, but because my grandparents were always very Right-wing, very prudish and very Republican. My mom is everything they are not, and is very supportive of all the ideas that my grandma considered "wild" and "foolish."

My dad always made me pay for my own stuff, even when I was 6 or 7 years old. No free toys from daddy... if I somehow acquired money from birthdays or Christmas, I had to save it and buy things with that. Did I really want that giant T-Rex with stomping sound effects? Or would I rather save that $40 and put it towards something larger, like a Sega Nomad? (yes, that was the decision I made one Birthday...) So it's not that I bought things that were important necessarily, but I did learn to be selective with what I spent my money on. Now that I'm older and more independent, it's definitely a useful life skill -- especially since I have friends that lack that kind of selective spending, and it affects their quality of life.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Temari
I'm changing the world. And you're gonna help.

Member 16658

Level 28.10

Dec 2006

Old Jun 22, 2008, 06:24 PM #33 of 57
I think my 'down to earth' trait was something I picked up from my mom... if I wasnt taught that by her, then I certainly learned it by watching her life. I will always be grateful to her for passing on her dark sense of humor, including her sarcasm, to me. And something she had to tell me before I really completely noticed it for myself... she sarcastically remarked one day, "Oh the HORRORS, I've raised my daughters to be INDEPENDENT WOMEN!" I'm more than grateful to her for that. <3

My dad... well, he taught me that a check doesnt always go as far as you'd like it to (or need it to), so budgeting is always good. And his unintentional lesson was keeping a watchful eye on how much I drink.

How ya doing, buddy?
Nahual
k'iskallawankitaj mamaykipis riman

Member 1931

Level 23.32

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2008, 03:14 PM #34 of 57
When thinking about my parents and what I've learned from them, a couple things stand out. Mostly from my father, but anywho...
My father told me that I shouldn't be hurt if I can't have something since I didn't have it in the first place. And of course there's the whole "knowledge is power" thing...
He's also told me to do the (class) work because it's gonna help me in the long run. It's another way of thinking. This is in response to me failing a class I hated(but needed for my major).

My mother has taught me to be a hard worker and share. And I do well with those.
Outside of home.

Quiero ayudar a todos que viven en el mundo...pero empiezo contigo.

Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2008, 12:12 PM Local time: Jun 26, 2008, 05:12 PM #35 of 57
I learned to persevere from my mother. I have never seen anyone as hard working or determined as her; no matter what shit life throws her way she just keeps going. Admittedly with a kind of desperately chirpy optimism that irritates me, but then I'm quite cynical myself.

From my dad I learned a good sense of judgement and tact with most things. He was always the one who stood back and evaluated situations, then dealt with them appropriately. My friends tend to look to me to help them with difficult problems and I hope I've managed to give them that.

Teriyakifan
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 31240

Level 2.12

Jul 2008

Old Jul 18, 2008, 07:06 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2008, 04:06 PM #36 of 57
I think my parents have just given me a lot of emotional and spiritual guidance. There is a cultural and generational gap between us, so they're not great at teaching "life" issues. But I've definitely learned character and morals from them.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jul 18, 2008, 07:30 PM Local time: Jul 19, 2008, 12:30 AM #37 of 57
I figure I've learned far more from the shitty example my parents set throughout my later childhood and adolescence than anything either of them actually sat me down for a talk about. Everything I picked up from them is a result of their own shortcomings - of which there are many. Hell, I was never around them long enough to pick up on anything.

Without bitching and moaning too much, long story short: I spent ten years in a place I hated and only realised towards the end of that time that I should have been questioning my circumstances all along. A shitfit I threw at eight was the full extent of any defiance I showed in the face of the situation, and a consequent hide-tanning taught me to not bring it up again. I did my best to play by all the rules throughout, but during the last two years of school, a few things occurred which caused me to so thoroughly change my perspective that I found it hard to accept my surroundings. The main lesson learned as a result of all that was to be assertive and perceptive from the beginning - and I'll be damned if those years didn't bolster my resolve something solid.

Oh, yeah, and when I was fifteen mum taught me how to iron things.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Janus X
Stupid Frog

Member 31258

Level 6.95

Jul 2008

Old Jul 28, 2008, 03:06 PM Local time: Jul 28, 2008, 02:06 PM #38 of 57
Hold my word. Once, when my father was angry at me, he still agreed to copy some cassettes for me because he promised it. He may be a mountain of pride, but he is a man of honour.

Responability. He had a rather rude manner to show it to me, but my father taught me to be responsible for my actions.

Becca
Carob Nut

Member 30825

Level 4.12

Jun 2008

Old Jul 28, 2008, 03:40 PM #39 of 57
I learned not to have kids at a young age thank god! but seriously, my mom had to raise me and sister on her own and we don't always get along but no matter what's happened in our lives or whenever I was struggling personally, even when I didn't think they loved me at all, they were still there. I guess what I learned is how to survive. Things are constantly changing, you don't always get notice of it, and falling down won't make it any easier.

My dad, I talked to him once, I learned that sometimes ppl deserve second chances. He made mistakes and wasn't around but I still love him and I know he was doing the best thing for me. I really should try and talk to him again but he has a new family now and I want him to be good them and be there for them since he couldn't with me.

FELIPE NO
Dark
WARk?

Member 27824

Level 2.97

Jan 2008

Old Aug 4, 2008, 08:29 AM Local time: Aug 4, 2008, 06:29 AM #40 of 57
The best lesson I've learned from my parents' mistakes: Nothing in life is permanent.

Last edited by Dark; Aug 4, 2008 at 08:32 AM.
xenocentric
Banned

Member 31436

Level 2.74

Aug 2008

Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:01 AM #41 of 57
I learned never to sleep arround with strange women. My dad went on a business trip to mexcio and came back with crabs.

Most amazing jew boots
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:07 AM #42 of 57
If you're going to fuck before marriage, be a little bit more assured in your methods of birth control

Lost_solitude
stop stealing my "me time"

Member 2164

Level 13.85

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2008, 01:51 PM Local time: Aug 6, 2008, 08:51 AM #43 of 57
DO your research! My mom always taught me this and a teacher did as well. one of the best lessons of my life. I see this in different ways now that I actualy do my research instead of listening to what anybody tells me. Especially the damned media. I was always one to judge and say things without knowing the whole story. I regret it but now I know better. Boy do I ever.

Last edited by Lost_solitude; Aug 6, 2008 at 01:53 PM.
aarathy
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 31763

Level 1.34

Sep 2008

Old Sep 19, 2008, 01:07 AM #44 of 57
I learned from my parents is simplicity, courage, fearless and respect the old people. Also to stand in my own interests.

How ya doing, buddy?
SpaceMonk
Syklis Green

Member 26180

Level 6.69

Nov 2007

Old Oct 12, 2008, 06:39 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2008, 06:39 PM #45 of 57
how not to be like them

I was speaking idiomatically.
Put Balls
i

Member 100

Level 26.08

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2008, 06:48 PM Local time: Oct 13, 2008, 01:48 AM #46 of 57
I finally learnt not to wear gym pants in public.

I think I've taught them more than they have me, though. =o

Hydra
Delicious and vitamin fortified.

Member 1243

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2008, 08:06 PM Local time: Oct 22, 2008, 06:06 PM #47 of 57
My Mum taught me how to read. She taught me not to complain, to work hard, and to not assume that I am entitled to something just because my friends have it... that we all come from different situations and the truly meaningful measure of success is not so much how far we get in life but how far we have travelled.

I had a number of fathers growing up, never knew my real one, and only ever had a real relationship with the last one. He taught me that I was worth saving. That alone has kept me going, methinks. Knowing that no matter how much I screw up he'll still think I'm worth something makes the mysteries of life that much less intimidating.

FELIPE NO
Thud.
Michael J. Floppies

Member 31527

Level 14.90

Aug 2008

Old Oct 23, 2008, 01:10 PM #48 of 57
My mom never taught me about shame or modesty. My pop taught me how handle a pocket knife and to keep a roll of dimes in my pocket, in case i ever wanted to punch a dude... Yeehaw... sigh.

llmercll
Banned

Member 31986

Level 8.89

Oct 2008

Old Oct 24, 2008, 01:48 AM #49 of 57
I've learned about never giving up from my dad. people always know me as extremely persistent....and in the end I usually get my way.

if you never give up, you will eventually succeed. for the most part. and yes, even with women (kinda) lol

Jam it back in, in the dark.
kat
HUR HUR HUR

Member 152

Level 21.54

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2008, 05:02 PM Local time: Oct 25, 2008, 03:02 PM #50 of 57
Not to be like them. Obviously, an implicit lesson, but one of the most important ones I've gained over the years.

It's funny because my parents always told me to look at other people as a marker of who I should be and how I should develop my own personality, and I turn it back on them and see the way they both are and how I never want to be.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > The Best Things You've Learned From Your Parents