Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

"I didn't go to the prom..."

atiz
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 3611

Level 1.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 09:53 AM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 10:53 PM #51 of 91
I'm not planning to go to the prom (my sch planning one this coming may) because I think it's rather expensive. I'd rather spend my $$ at some club with my clique of friends and party the night away.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Quote:
Maybe its the grown up syndrome. Or maybe we are getting more politically correct.
Whatever the case, the fact is that we become more untruthful to our own feelings as we aged.
We hid our emotions much effectively than before.
We become a mere social constrict.

When a smile is no longer a symbol of joy, it had evolved into a element of friendliness.
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:11 AM #52 of 91
That's a new one! Interesting.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Rollins
"It's strips like this that differentiate us from Ziggy."

Member 51

Level 17.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 11:29 AM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 09:29 AM #53 of 91
It's simple but it works, if you don't have a date, then why would you bother going? I've always seen the main purpose of prom is to be with your boyfriend/girlfriend. I mean, essentially you're going a huge group date with your whole school. Why else would you spend loads of money? Going to prom isn't that far off from the actual dating scene after HS (money, time, and activity wise).

Of course, if you somehow fall in the category of no date but enough friends, I'm sure you can have a fun time hanging out with them as well. But the two things rarely go hand-in-hand (except for a few sad stories of loss here and there).

How ya doing, buddy?

| blog | last.fm | chocojournal = unnecessary |

Last edited by Rollins; Apr 6, 2006 at 12:51 AM.
Amy-Chan
Banned

Member 4683

Level 6.05

Apr 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:53 PM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 11:53 AM #54 of 91
My friend from my old job at Rhino Video Games, Chris asked me to go with him. I certainly had my doubts since I just had a terrible experience with a previous friend that I gave a chance, but chris was different. He was always really sweet at work and I felt like we were going through the same type of things.

We started dating before prom, so it wouldn't be as awkward. The first couple of dates were pretty awkward anyway because he is VERY quiet (strong silent type) and I am pretty outgoing.

We had a nice time at prom. Not much dancing, but i enjoyed myself.

Now chris and I have been together for a year and I am so glad I followed my instincts ^_^

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Dyesan
hey YOU!

Member 1790

Level 17.02

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 03:13 PM #55 of 91
This thread is tearing away my desire to go to the Senior prom. I didn't go to the Junior prom alike some of you because I'm not one who likes to go to a dance. I can't dance and I don't like standing around doing nothing. I kinda regret not going last year since my friends said it was fun. If I go this year, I'm not taking it seriously. It's just a large social gathering with music, after all.

FELIPE NO
DeadHorse++
zzzzz,,,,,

Member 4447

Level 9.10

Apr 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:22 PM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 07:22 PM #56 of 91
Didn't go because I was too embarrased about being too poor to afford it...and because I was too chicken shit to ask out the girl I liked (and who liked me...).

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 12:45 AM #57 of 91
Rollins ~ While I agree with you, some of my HS friends wouldn't. Actually three of of them were trying to get me to go when they found out I wasn't going. The four of us were suppose to go (or so they wanted). I thought the whole thing was pointless to begin with. If you're not going with your boyfriend/girlfriend, why would you go just to hang out with your friends? Is that what Homecoming and other school dances are for?

Originally Posted by Hiiragi
This thread is tearing away my desire to go to the Senior prom.
Don't let our stories stop you from going. There's plenty of other threads around here based on people that have gone and are going to the prom (even though a few posted here despite it being the opposite topic). If you want to go and have fun, by all means do so. We're just having a discussion on why some people didn't go.

Dead Horse++ ~ There's nothing to be embarrassed about not being able to afford it. After seeing so many programs on TV about how much teenagers spend on that, I'm glad I didn't go. The whole things seems like a colossal waste of money. But, that's only an opinion.

Most amazing jew boots
Rollins
"It's strips like this that differentiate us from Ziggy."

Member 51

Level 17.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 01:01 AM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 11:01 PM #58 of 91
Originally Posted by Hiiragi
This thread is tearing away my desire to go to the Senior prom.
Yeah, like Lady Miyomi said, you're probably in the wrong place if you're looking for reasons to go to the prom without having a date. This thread is pretty much a "thrash prom" zone with little to no counter argument to be found. If you keep looking at the bad aspects of it, of course it's going to seem like a waste of time. There's definitely fun to have to be had at a prom I feel.

Originally Posted by Lady Miyomi
Rollins ~ While I agree with you, some of my HS friends wouldn't. Actually three of of them were trying to get me to go when they found out I wasn't going. The four of us were suppose to go (or so they wanted). I thought the whole thing was pointless to begin with. If you're not going with your boyfriend/girlfriend, why would you go just to hang out with your friends? Is that what Homecoming and other school dances are for?
Well, when it comes down to it, if you're not dating a date, prom is another chance to hang out with friends, which hopefully would be a fun thing (if you have the right group of friends). Besides being a chance for you hang out with your date, prom is also one of the last memories you'll have in high school. It's the last big party you'll have with your school before graduation, one last time to just kick it with them.

The problem is that prom is definitely more pricey than your other dances (like homecoming) so it becomes an issue of cost, practically. Do you really want to put a lot of money on this (in the end) party? Other school dances are just an easier chance to hang out with friends since they usually cost less and they have less of the "must bring date" expectation on them.

How ya doing, buddy?

| blog | last.fm | chocojournal = unnecessary |
valiant
FRIEND

Member 836

Level 18.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 05:00 AM #59 of 91
Since I going I guess I can try to counter it since Hiiragi seems to be discouraged of going to prom. Personally I don't know how girls percieve prom dates to be "authentic" dates or merely friendly social gathering, but it is an excellent time to improve social skills. If you don't have a date? Simple, go around and steal other people's dates by asking them for a dance (I always thought that would be fun but I always went to HC and Prom with one and being a "gentleman" I try to stay with my date...I feel really bad if I don't slow dance with them too).

Also I am assuming a lot of you went to larger high schools (this does not apply to me in the same way since my school is TINY) but people wouldn't care too much if you were a horrible dancer since I am sure..that the whole mass you are dancing with have no idea what they are doing regarding "dancing." This is a good time to relax and make an idiot of yourself...high school is so big that no one would notice (but don't be soo...err drastic).

One gripe about prom is that they ALWAYS play so much typical music...rap...ugh but that is just an issue regarding taste (they did play some eurodance thankfully). But you can't always have what you want in a dance...especially if your penchant is something exclusive like eurobeat. However, if you are really lucky, this is great time to spend time with your particular favorite or even merely a friend and get to know them better before they head off to whatever direction they have in mind (college, etc...). There are only 2 (unless you get asked by some upperlcassmen...) prom dances available in your life, you might not get the opportunity again in the future to participate in one of the unique aspects of your highschool experiences.

The valid excuses I see is the cost since...prom could be drastically expensive (depending on what you do with it). My prom ticket will cost 85$ (initially it was 100+$) but I will have to buy one for my date. Also I will have to get tux, limo etc...but these are all extravagances (except tux...you might need that). Hence it is very costly but if you really want to go, I am sure there is some sort of loop hole to get all this covered.

Also I percieve "awkwardness" as an appropiate excuse for highschoolers are unstable kids (me being one) with raging emotions. With that in mind, I nearly made a decision not to go to prom due to internal conflicts. But, I don't want to waste my high school experiences away so I decided to partcipate this year.
Well that is my defence for it since no one else wanted to defend prom X_X

Most amazing jew boots
HostileCreation
Chocobo

Member 3335

Level 12.61

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 05:44 PM #60 of 91
I didn't go to prom because I was spending the day letting children with cancer (St. Jude's) have a fun day outside of the hospital.
A friend of mine went with my girlfriend.

Only dance I remember going to in high school was something called morp, which was (as you can see) some opposite prom thing. The girls asked the guys out, etc. I went because a girl asked me to go, and I'd feel bad about saying no.

OnlyJedi
#!/usr/bin/perl

Member 4747

Level 7.65

Apr 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 09:56 PM #61 of 91
I almost skipped my prom. My so-called "friends" didn't want anything to do with me; they didn't want me in their limo, or at their table, or anything. So the morning of the day before the prom the principal gave me a call, told me he needs to meet me. I drive down the school, and he basically said, "You're salutatorian in a class of 1000. Here's two free tickets. You're going." So I called up a friend of mine (who was a junior and dating some guy 6 years older than her at the time) and she agreed to a last minute prom date. My cousin drove us there, we stayed for the whole thing, then we both went home. And to this day, I don't know whether I would have been better off not going, or if I made the right choice to go.

I had somewhat the same experience at the one other dance I went to. That time, I was the person who collected all the names of the students attending, entered them into an Excel spreadsheet, and that sort of stuff. So I got a free ticket, and figured that even though nobody wanted me at their table (again...) I'd go anyways. It was pretty boring, but at least I didn't have to pay to be bored.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 05:39 PM #62 of 91
I'm assuming that you guys have a prom with good music. I don't mean to offend anybody, but from my school's dance history, the music has been complete shit. Maybe it's the school (I go to a school that is > 50% Black). As a result, the music is compromised of mainly Rap, Hip Hop, etc. Now this is personal opinion, but I simply cannot stand that kind of music.

I didn't go to the Junior Ring Dance (aka Junior Prom) because of the lack of a date. I then decided to reconcile the next year by going to the Homecoming Dance in the Fall to decide whether or not the Senior Prom was worth it. I dunno, maybe a bad break, but Homecoming Dance sucked hard. If it wasn't for my date, I would have killed myself (not literally, but you know). I'm just not the dance kind of person. I can't dance to that kind of music. I just don't fit in. I almost regret taking my date (only for the occasion, didn't do much outside of that dance) to it. But she had fun, so it was ok for her.

So Senior Prom rolls around and, as opposed to the cheaper homecoming tickets (cheaper occasion for that matter), Prom was a big pill to swallow financially. The only way I'd see it to be worth it was if I had that "special someone". I did not.

Ok, so my friends are going, technically I'd go too right? Hell no. Go with your friends? They have their own dates too. I did not wish to be the guy just sitting there while everybody had a good time. It just wouldn't be worth it without a date.

But I will admit, I might have gotten a date if I were a bit bolder. But that's in the past now.

Seriously, by all means, if you have a date, go to the Prom. If not, it's probably not worth it. Unless your tickets were next to free.

J.K.
K.J. in reverse...

Member 11265

Level 1.60

Aug 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 08:47 PM #63 of 91
I didn't go to either Junior Prom or Senior Prom, cuz I didn't have a date, and damned if I was going by myself...I tried that before, ended up as a wall decoration. But I got free Cheetos out of it, so it wasn't all bad, eh?

FELIPE NO
And then, there was one...
valiant
FRIEND

Member 836

Level 18.98

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 04:03 AM #64 of 91
Definitely...prom music SUCKS, period. Though...my taste in music is quite exemplary

gidget
Shorter than girls should be.

Member 8290

Level 18.41

Jun 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 04:46 AM Local time: Aug 19, 2006, 01:46 AM #65 of 91
I didn't go to Junior Prom, but I did go to Senior Prom and it was tons of fun. I went with one of my best friends and we went to the restaurant we wanted to go to and just had fun. The place it was at was beautiful and, while prom music does suck, it's pretty easy to dance to. We went back to his house afterwards and played Guitar Hero and watched movies until like..6:30 in the morning.

If you have a date (preferably a good friend so that it's not so awkward) then you should definitely go to prom.

How ya doing, buddy?
Celes Chere
Good Chocobo

Member 11349

Level 18.07

Aug 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 08:42 PM #66 of 91
I didn't go to either of mine because I didn't have anyone to go with. I had very few friends in HS and they all had dates, leaving me by my lonesome. :/ So, why waste money? I think I just hung out on the internets instead. Heh, says a lot about my 'social life', doesn't it?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
ORLY
YA RLY

Member 8978

Level 7.21

Jun 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:16 PM #67 of 91
I didn't go to either junior or senior prom becuase I didn't have a date, and none of my friends were going either, so it would have been both a waste of money and time. Plus, I have never worn a tux in my life and I didn't intend to start doing so for some stupid dance.

How ya doing, buddy?
splur
Chocobo

Member 2496

Level 14.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2006, 01:04 AM #68 of 91
Because it was lame and not alot of their friends were going anyways, so why waste their time and money in this damn thing? I went to prom, but my friends who didn't had this reason.

[RIGHT]
Digital_Divider
because bastard operators from hell get all the ladies.

Member 8324

Level 6.27

Jun 2006

Old Aug 21, 2006, 09:56 AM #69 of 91
I never went to prom myself. I didn't care because I didn't have a date one, two the music they chose for the class sound composed of complete shit, and three I transferred into this school for my last two years so I really didn't know many people. So I said fuck it. I was going to hang with the few friends I did have but it turns out that bailed on me. So I spent the night doing the typical nerd thing: gaming. I have no regrets.

Most amazing jew boots
I am myself. You can't change me. I am who I am.
splur
Chocobo

Member 2496

Level 14.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:56 PM #70 of 91
Hah, oh yeah, prom sucked. For those of you who didn't go. I spent the night puking and passed out next to my date. Looking in hindsight... I should've not drank that much.

[RIGHT]
Weapon
FK in the coffee

Member 4644

Level 8.12

Apr 2006

Old Aug 21, 2006, 08:38 PM Local time: Aug 22, 2006, 11:38 AM #71 of 91
I didn't want to go at all. My gf during the time had just dumped me so I had no desire to go anywhere on that day. All I wanted to do was emo myself to death >_<

My friends however wouldn't let this pass and went as far as buying my tickets and renting my tux. They know that if they spent the money on me I'd be pressured to go, and so I did.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Weapon; Aug 21, 2006 at 09:02 PM.
Nahual
k'iskallawankitaj mamaykipis riman

Member 1931

Level 23.32

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2006, 08:51 PM #72 of 91
Prom is overrated. gosh. The media(urgh) makes it seem so good. Even family and friends...

"...and she is going to prom!..." "did you go to prom?" "Yeah. It was great!"

bah!

The best thing that happened was that I was able to talk to one of my friends who I couldn't talk to during that school year(due to grade difference and work and other things), and plus I talked to another one of my friends.

My date basically was called over by her friends and I was alone. I don't even like rap/hip hop whatever that much. And that was about the only music playing.

But I was glad that I had the guts to ask the girl if she would go with me. I'm kind of shy...or is it quiet? oh well.

Quiero ayudar a todos que viven en el mundo...pero empiezo contigo.

JumboMaverick
Lonley Driver

Member 1097

Level 10.08

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2006, 02:03 PM #73 of 91
I didn't go to my prom because Attack of the Clones opened the same night.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Kesubei
Puzzle Person

Member 971

Level 17.04

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2006, 04:29 PM Local time: Aug 23, 2006, 05:29 PM #74 of 91
I skipped both my Junior and Senior Proms because 1) I didn't want to spend the money; and 2) I don't like dances and such. Almost all of my friends went to our school proms, said they had a blast. I don't think I did anything special on either of those days.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Hydra
Delicious and vitamin fortified.

Member 1243

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2006, 11:08 PM Local time: Aug 23, 2006, 09:08 PM #75 of 91
Never went, never went to school either until university. However, now that I am here, I enjoy the occasional chance to dress up. If I had gone to school (wasn't really homeschooled either, just kind of left to my own devices) I would have gone ... unless it cost money, because my family was dirt poor. But, if I had gone to school and had money I'd have gone to the prom ... if only for the chance to dress up.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > "I didn't go to the prom..."