Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Manga] Claymore: Manga Thread

Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 03:14 PM Local time: May 10, 2007, 12:14 PM #1 of 38
Claymore: Manga Thread

Plot Summary:
Originally Posted by AniDB
Based on a shounen manga by Yagi Norihiro serialised in Monthly Shounen Jump.

The setting of the story is a fictional world of abundant towns where humans coexist with demons called Yoma. These monsters feed on humans as their main source of food, hiding themselves in human society until they strike.

A group of skilled warriors form a nameless organization to protect humans from these demons. These warriors are called Claymores, after their immense Claymore weapons. They willingly infuse themselves with demon flesh and blood to become powerful half-human hybrids. Villages in danger of attack hire warriors from the organisation for protection.

The story of Claymore follows the adventures of the beautiful Claymore warrior Claire, who fights demons and struggles to hold on to her humanity.

Long ago, the Yoma, the shape changing demons, took human form to live in disguise among human society. They feed on human innards, and take possession of memories from the brains of people they eat. These acquired memories help them better disguise themselves within human society.

In recent years, a secret society discovers a way of implanting demon bodies and body parts into humans, to create hybrids more powerful than the original demons. Hybrid`s standard abilities include faster healing, limited shape modification, the ability to detect other demons and hybrids, and overall enhanced physical prowess. Almost all hybrids are created against their will; they are typically survivors of families attacked by demons. The only exception is the lead character, who volunteered to become a hybrid to avenge her family. The society sends hybrids to towns that can afford their fares to kill demons, although not every hybrid does so willingly (this is implied in the manga.) The society is often strict and harsh; hybrids who break the rules risk being hunted down by their fellow hybrids.
Running time: 23 minutes
Number of episodes: 26 ( =( )
Number of Volumes Released: 12 (11 translated)
VIZ Number of Volumes: 7
Production: MADHOUSE
Genre: Action

Opening Theme:
"Raison D’ĂȘtre" by Nightmare
Spoiler:
- Youtube link removed because Youtube's run by corporate nazis now.

Ending Theme:
"Danzai no Hana~Guilty Sky" by Riyu Kosaka
Spoiler:
Same deal as above.

Official Sites:
MANGA - http://annex.s-manga.net/claymore/main.html
ANIME - http://www.j-claymore.com/top.html

I've seen this series referred to as Berserk for lesbians. I don't really know about the lesbian part, but I get the same 'feel' from this show as I did watching Guts in his own show. While Berserk got me hooked from the beginning (moreso in the manga than the anime series), Claymore took more than a year for me. It premiered in Shonen Jump a long time ago and didn't seem like anything special at all. However, after taking a peek at one of the latest volumes at work the other day, I was convinced that this was one of those things I shouldn't pass up.

The series starts off slowly, but quickly picks up the pace halfway through volume two. Most fans agree that the 'kick-off' for the series begins with the Teresa of the Faint Smile Arc, which provides a good back story for the protagonist while also showing off a high-ranked battle involving the most powerful Claymores at the time. For a flashback arc, things that typically produce more yawns than cheers, this one is good and doesn't linger for to long.

The fight scenes seem to have made the conversion from manga to anime well. I haven't noticed anything significantly altered and every bit of gore appears to be intact. MADHOUSE has done another fantastic job, as the animation is relatively smooth and well choreographed. There are a few episodes where the quality takes a dive, but it's really not by much. By comparison, I'd say that Death Note is still superior in the consistent 'quality,' but that's probably because they had a far larger budget for that series than Claymore.

One other thing to note is that the author isn't afraid to kill characters off. While this series has 'shonen-esque' concepts like power levels and special moves, the tables can be turned at any moment. It's actually kind of depressing to see characters go that were otherwise fun and interesting, but it's clear, from a writer's position, that their personal arcs were over or ending.

The artwork might take some getting used to, especially in an anime season filled with 'moe,' but it's worth it. I highly recommend the manga, but the anime's not a bad entryway into the series either.

Screencaps

- Just a flesh wound (Manga)
Spoiler:

- Me after working out (Manga)
Spoiler:

Sub-Groups
- Eclipse

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 03:25 PM 1 #2 of 38
i love this anime. Its did sort of remind me of berserk except I didn't think it sucked. Thats right, I hate Berserk ~_~
It has a somewhat feeling of vampire hunter d as well which is why i liked it so much. I didn't read the manga so I wouldn't know of any changes made but to me it matters not, so I have nothing to complain about from the differences.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

New Record!
aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 09:21 PM Local time: May 10, 2007, 09:21 PM #3 of 38
I was skeptical to pick up this manga, because the prims sounded too stereotypical. but i figured i would get the anime a shoot. So far i have enjoyed it. Its not the most funonimal anime i have seen in my life but deffently holds it own to whats airing right now.
One question, how does it match up to the manga, is it sticking almost 100% true?

Most amazing jew boots
Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 09:36 PM Local time: May 10, 2007, 06:36 PM #4 of 38
One question, how does it match up to the manga, is it sticking almost 100% true?
It appears to be sticking to the manga very closely. I'd say about 98%. Some stuff is removed or shortened due to the length of the series (26 episodes). However, the opening has characters that show up around volume 9 and up, meaning that it'll probably cover a good chunk of material from the manga.

I imagine that includes the Battle of Pieta, which is all kinds of unprecedented WIN.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2007, 12:21 AM #5 of 38
I like Claymore and was intrigued ever since I saw a preview page of it under "manga explorer" within my very first issue of Shonen Jump. After a couple of years, looks like it's now an anime and doing pretty well. Other than the half-yoma fact, there's something about the girls that I don't find pretty at all, but I think that's actually moreso a product of the art style in general for me.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Greykin
gyah!

Member 495

Level 18.55

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2007, 12:16 AM #6 of 38
I like Claymore and was intrigued ever since I saw a preview page of it under "manga explorer" within my very first issue of Shonen Jump. After a couple of years, looks like it's now an anime and doing pretty well. Other than the half-yoma fact, there's something about the girls that I don't find pretty at all, but I think that's actually moreso a product of the art style in general for me.
Iunno, I think Clare is hawt .
------

Overall I'm really hooked on this show right now. I've never read the manga, so I don't know what to expect, but it's been a long time since I've enjoyed an anime this much though, thanks for bringing it to light .

I have one possible beef about it though:
Spoiler:
The Teresa and Clare thing. Right now I'm not sure if the story-line between the two is in the past, and the little girl Clare is the older one you see at the beginning with Raki. Lack of matching hair colour confuses me though. Which leads me to believe the Teresa and Clare storyline takes place the same time as Clare and Raki. The reason it kind of bothers me....... is because the whole idea of badass claymore getting all softy over kids they randomly meet is almost feeling like overkill with Teresa now, only 1 annoying child please D: . Now if that was Clare in the past, I can tolerate, because it can be a way to lead Clare up to how she treats Raki. Anyways, ya.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

oh my gawddd
Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2007, 01:09 AM Local time: May 13, 2007, 10:09 PM #7 of 38
Iunno, I think Clare is hawt .
------

Overall I'm really hooked on this show right now. I've never read the manga, so I don't know what to expect, but it's been a long time since I've enjoyed an anime this much though, thanks for bringing it to light .

I have one possible beef about it though:
Spoiler:
The Teresa and Clare thing. Right now I'm not sure if the story-line between the two is in the past, and the little girl Clare is the older one you see at the beginning with Raki. Lack of matching hair colour confuses me though. Which leads me to believe the Teresa and Clare storyline takes place the same time as Clare and Raki. The reason it kind of bothers me....... is because the whole idea of badass claymore getting all softy over kids they randomly meet is almost feeling like overkill with Teresa now, only 1 annoying child please D: . Now if that was Clare in the past, I can tolerate, because it can be a way to lead Clare up to how she treats Raki. Anyways, ya.
Not so much a spoiler at all, but:
Spoiler:
The Clare with Teresa is the Clare you see now. This is a flashback showing just who Teresa was and how and why Clare decided to volunteer to become a claymore -- something totally unfounded in the world. Claymores are usually forced to become what they are today.

All Claymores lose their original hair colors after being 'converted,' by the way. After conversion, their hair color is a light blonde.

FELIPE NO
aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2007, 09:37 AM Local time: May 14, 2007, 09:37 AM #8 of 38
All Claymores lose their original hair colors after being 'converted,' by the way. After conversion, their hair color is a light blonde.
Yeah, after seen the opening i figured that. It would make since, but i am glad to hear that the last few episodes with young Clare do lead back into her adult life as a claymore, and this isn't just some random child by the name of Clare.
I'm going to go on the assumption that they expect people to know some things, it took me abit to figure out that it was flash back due to the fact that i have never read the manga.
Now after seeing this anime it makes me want to go pick up the manga some time and read it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Greykin
gyah!

Member 495

Level 18.55

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2007, 12:32 PM #9 of 38
Ya, I thought so about the hair, it was a guess, but I wasn't sure so I didn't say anything about it. The main reason I was lead to believe that the story of Teresa is in present time because you see Clare and Teresa clash blades in the intro, that threw me off >_>. Well, mystery solved lol.

How ya doing, buddy?

oh my gawddd
Summonmaster

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2007, 06:18 PM #10 of 38
Originally Posted by aku
Yeah, after seen the opening i figured that. It would make since, but i am glad to hear that the last few episodes with young Clare do lead back into her adult life as a claymore, and this isn't just some random child by the name of Clare.
Aaaah spoilers! I only saw up to episode five
Wouldn't have expected that at all, but I guess that's really interesting. I thought also that it was taking place at the same time, and that it was just a coincidence.
Now Teresa, I find much hotter and deadlier than Clare

I hope they eventually explain that event which happened right before Raki and Clare leave the Church town, while they were still inside the church.

Greykin
gyah!

Member 495

Level 18.55

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2007, 01:38 PM #11 of 38
Wow, episode 8 was a shocker.

Spoiler:
I am so very disappointed that we didn't get to see Teresa at her full potential, then again, being defeated at her lowest level gives us the feeling that she's the best still lol

Gah, so very eager to see episode 9 now, and so on lol.

The different levels and signs of releasing yoma powers kinda remind me of the super saiyan lvls in DBZ >_>.

and another thing I noticed:
Spoiler:
How Teresa's death was so abrupt and fast. With Clare holding her head in the end and crying. Reminded me of StarWars Episode II when Bobofett was holding his dad's head after his quick death :P. I'm guessing Clares purpose for becoming a Claymore would be the same as Bobofett becoming a bounty hunter, vengence?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

oh my gawddd
Summonmaster

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2007, 10:07 PM #12 of 38
I finally saw 08 today and I loved all the insta-gore flying about but it was very sad indeed. Looks like 09 is out today and we get to see Clare's past wrapped up from what the preview indicates. I still wonder how Raki ultimately fits in due to the last event seen with him and Clare together.

Greykin
gyah!

Member 495

Level 18.55

Mar 2006

Old May 31, 2007, 12:03 AM #13 of 38
Mmmm, that was a good episode. My only confusing was those small metal rods that Clare hands over to Raki before she leaves, I had to ask my friend what those were >_>.

I was speaking idiomatically.

oh my gawddd
RPG Maker
Lost Dreamer

Member 342

Level 13.52

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2007, 03:48 PM Local time: Jun 1, 2007, 03:48 PM #14 of 38
Just finished reading the manga up to volume 12. I still want mroe and the anime and manga isn't coming out fast enough!

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2007, 03:56 PM #15 of 38
Just finished reading the manga up to volume 12. I still want mroe and the anime and manga isn't coming out fast enough!
Well, last I heard the anime's only going up to episode 26. While I don't know how accurate that is, I can see that happening, considering the pace it's moving at. But yeah, the manga takes forever for new ones to show up. I did, however, find a site with a chapter 73 preview. Lost the link, though.

I'm surprised there's folks who've been following the manga, as most Claymore discussion I've seen has been about the anime.

Edit: If anyone's interested, I have volumes 1-12 along with the released chapters from volume 13.

Most amazing jew boots

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Yume
New Born.

Member 1395

Level 11.82

Mar 2006

Old Jun 3, 2007, 12:39 PM Local time: Jun 3, 2007, 06:39 PM #16 of 38
Well, last I heard the anime's only going up to episode 26. While I don't know how accurate that is, I can see that happening, considering the pace it's moving at. But yeah, the manga takes forever for new ones to show up. I did, however, find a site with a chapter 73 preview. Lost the link, though.

I'm surprised there's folks who've been following the manga, as most Claymore discussion I've seen has been about the anime.

Edit: If anyone's interested, I have volumes 1-12 along with the released chapters from volume 13.
Do you happen to have a link to those volumes you have?

If not, would you be able to share the volumes via uploading websites such as Megaupload.com? etc

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Jun 3, 2007, 01:34 PM #17 of 38
Do you happen to have a link to those volumes you have?

If not, would you be able to share the volumes via uploading websites such as Megaupload.com? etc
Sure thing, I just made a Megaupload account yesterday too. I'll post the links to the volumes here once I upload them.

Claymore Volume 1

Claymore Volume 2

Claymore Volume 3

Claymore Volume 4

Claymore Volume 5

Claymore Volume 6

Claymore Volume 7

Claymore Volume 8

Claymore Volume 9

Claymore Volume 10

Claymore Volume 11

Claymore Volume 12

The one below is only 3 chapters so far, and there's a preview for Chapter 73 on the website.
Claymore Volume 13

Greykin
gyah!

Member 495

Level 18.55

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2007, 03:03 PM #18 of 38
Sure thing, I just made a Megaupload account yesterday too. I'll post the links to the volumes here once I upload them.

Claymore Volume 1

Claymore Volume 2

Claymore Volume 3

Claymore Volume 4

Claymore Volume 5

Claymore Volume 6

Claymore Volume 7

Claymore Volume 8

Claymore Volume 9

Claymore Volume 10

Claymore Volume 11

Claymore Volume 12

The one below is only 3 chapters so far, and there's a preview for Chapter 73 on the website.
Claymore Volume 13
Gah, my brain is like, fried after reading all that manga, it was so good I couldn't stop @_@.

Do you have a link of where these scanlations came from? I plan on buying the manga since they're so good, but I'm not patient enough to wait for the books to come out since they're behind D: .

--

Oh, I also have a question...

Spoiler:
When Claymore 5 went to the South to meet her sister, what happened there? I couldn't exactly tell, she just sorta held onto her and did something. Did she cancel our her Yoma and die in the process or something?

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2007, 03:59 PM #19 of 38
Gah, my brain is like, fried after reading all that manga, it was so good I couldn't stop @_@.

Do you have a link of where these scanlations came from? I plan on buying the manga since they're so good, but I'm not patient enough to wait for the books to come out since they're behind D: .
From what I know, the earlier chapters were done by [M-S] and the later ones are being done by 10sigh. As a matter of fact, Chapter 73 was just scanlated. I'll put that one up in a few.

Quote:
Heh, you're not the only one. I did the same thing too, and so did another person that I sent the volumes to.

Quote:
--

Oh, I also have a question...

Spoiler:
When Claymore 5 went to the South to meet her sister, what happened there? I couldn't exactly tell, she just sorta held onto her and did something. Did she cancel our her Yoma and die in the process or something?

Spoiler:
Raphaela actually has the exact same power as her sister, except that she vowed never to use any of it (you know, the 10%, 30%, etc...) and that's why she can't be detected. She basically broke her sister's back while she was asking Raphaela to turn into a monster like her to beat Isley. In other words, putting her sister out of her misery.

Edit: Alright, just finished uploading chapter 73. Good stuff in there.

Claymore Chapter 73

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Greykin
gyah!

Member 495

Level 18.55

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2007, 05:04 PM #20 of 38
Wow, thanks a lot for hosting those, I really appreciate it .

I'd just like to share some of my favorite moments so far in the manga, not in any order:

Spoiler:
i. It was quite suprising the last time Clare and Raki see each other and she gives him that kiss goodbye. Emotional ;_;

ii. The appearance of "Quick Sword" Ilena when she saves Claire. Even more awesome is when she cuts off her own arm to give to Clare, totally uncalled for. I still wonder what happened to Ilena when she was caught by that Raphaela without arms :P.

iii. When Jean sacrifices her life to save Clare from turning into a full Yoma. I can't wait to see that entire battle animated.

Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2007, 05:55 PM Local time: Jun 10, 2007, 02:55 PM #21 of 38
Heh, yeah. The Battle of Pieta should be pretty epic animated, especially considering how that might be where the anime ends. Most of the rest of the budget might be pumped into those episodes.

Is it true that the manga will only be released monthly from here on out?

How ya doing, buddy?
Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2007, 06:09 PM Local time: Jun 10, 2007, 04:09 PM #22 of 38
Mmmm, that was a good episode. My only confusing was those small metal rods that Clare hands over to Raki before she leaves, I had to ask my friend what those were >_>.
From the conversation I gathered it was used in place of money but could just be golden rods for all I know... /shrugs.

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2007, 06:30 PM #23 of 38
Wow, thanks a lot for hosting those, I really appreciate it .
No problem. I offered to do so, and someone took me up on it (sup Yume). Uploading stuff isn't all that difficult, heh.

Quote:
I'd just like to share some of my favorite moments so far in the manga, not in any order:

Spoiler:
i. It was quite suprising the last time Clare and Raki see each other and she gives him that kiss goodbye. Emotional ;_;

ii. The appearance of "Quick Sword" Ilena when she saves Claire. Even more awesome is when she cuts off her own arm to give to Clare, totally uncalled for. I still wonder what happened to Ilena when she was caught by that Raphaela without arms :P.

iii. When Jean sacrifices her life to save Clare from turning into a full Yoma. I can't wait to see that entire battle animated.
Heh, those are definitely high points.

Spoiler:
The first one took me by surprise, definitely. This entire time I thought Clare and Raki had a Teresa/Clare thing going, but apparently that's not the case. Either way, this ambiguity is gonna factor in big time when she meets him again, along with the folks he's been with for 7 years.

As for Ilena, I think she was killed. Clare's borrowed arm did a tingly thing it seemed when she got killed. About that arm, did you notice when Clare awakened her limbs, that arm had a different form from the others?

They're definitely going to sink most of their budget into those last few episodes, don't know how they'll end it. Either immediately after the battle (BAD END) or later on (TRUE END). I think those gold rods are money, by the way.

FELIPE NO

lemonmanko
yell it very loud!

Member 1971

Level 12.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 11, 2007, 03:19 PM Local time: Jun 11, 2007, 02:19 PM #24 of 38
actually i like claymore more than Berserk to be honest
first episode in i notice it was a like berserk but just better quality overall

i was following the froth-bite releases but now i'm following the Eclipse releases since they quicker and i like their fronts.

Max POWER
My style is impetuous

Member 7000

Level 17.86

May 2006

Old Jun 16, 2007, 02:53 PM Local time: Jun 16, 2007, 01:53 PM #25 of 38
Hmm...with episode 11, it seems they're starting to take the anime in a different direction than the manga, since
Spoiler:
Miria doesn't give her line about how she's figured out the organization's greatest secret. In fact, she says something completely different, along the lines of "No, I've figured nothing out at all."
We're almost halfway through the series now, and there seems to be a trend with mini-series animes that won't see the manga to the end to diverge around the halfway point (think Full Metal Alchemist). I really hope they can follow the manga fairly closely still, and wrap it up at a point that doesn't seem suspicious, instead of changing the story entirely and making an ending for themselves.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Manga] Claymore: Manga Thread